Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who think this guy has a good hold up play don't know what they are talking about. This guy is a forward, not a striker. He is better running at the goal rather than with his back to the goal. He would be useful if he had goal scorers like Mane and Salah on either side of him who can take advantage of his link-up and passing. I don't know how he'll shine in our set-up. Also, half the time we are hoofing the ball for the striker to hold up the ball and get others into play, this guy won't be useful on those occasions. Nor will he be useful in games against big teams where TH parks the bus.

I am not talking based on some youtube snippets. I have actually seen him play a few times while I was checking out Bologna to see what is Motta's style of play.
Funny you say that, considering our wingers i.e. Rashford and Garnacho who are likely to start are both more goal scoring wide players who would benefit from Zirkzee's style of play. With Bologna that you've said you watch you can see how either Ferguson or Orsolini etc play off him. He comes deep and they run into space, similar to how Martial.would do and open space for Rashy and Greenwood under Ole. In addition Zirkzee can play off the left and thus we can also play him and Hojlund together too so it gives us various options. We don't need a box striker, that's what Hojlund is, we need someone who adds something different and with his height and speed combo, he gives us just that.

Reactions: 711
Their teams are not successful in Europe they won the 5th CL coefficient spot by a landslide this year, Last year Fiorentina, Roma and Inter all made European Finals but lost, this year Atlanta defeated two of Europe’s best 5 sides in Liverpool and Leverkusen and won the Europa League with Fiorentina getting to another final, Last year Ac Milan and inter played a CL SF.

It’s not a poor league, it’s just football is very different in Italy it’s veryTactical and the national team are the current European Champions and if they get to the 1/4 finals again this year, they’ll be a problem for anyone because they just know how to get the most out of players available and more importantly how to win ugly!

Fair enough if you want to make that argument. I don't believe that Serie A can be held up as an elite league anymore considering where it once was. It is behind La Liga and Premier league. Not to say it is bad or Dutch league levels - just it hasn't recovered and like in Germany, a number of players that look great come to England and get exposed because the defense isn't great.

Unlike Germany where attackers have come here and struggled after putting up big numbers, we have seen some nothing strikers go to Italy and score lots. I think the worry is that Zirkzee doesn't appeared to have done that.

Dutch - check
Low release clause - check
Under 26 - check
Striker - check
Mouldable - check

Sounds like a fair transfer. Not too young either. With his status he may also accept a place on the bench now and then.

Top 80% in Serie A in all passing and finishing areas. Top 97% on ball recoveries and duels won in the last third. Sounds like a pressing machine. Eleven goals and four assist, not to shabby. Left footed and 193cm - that is good physical attributes for english football as well.

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised there's so much negativity towards Zirkzee as a player. He was Bologna's talisman last season, playing more league games than anyone else, leading them for goals, one shy off being their top assister, and most importantly helping to get the best out of his teammates as a facilitator.

And it's that last point that would have most value to us, as the attackers we have could really use the help. Everyone we have wants to run onto the ball and finish moves. Wouldn't it be nice to have a tricky player who presses well, has creativity, and is constantly involved in the build up? It's certainly an option I'd want us to have.

I think he’s a good player but he’s not a finisher. That’s ok because most teams don’t have more than one pure finisher anyway. I think Rasmus has that ability for us and will develop further in that area. Zirkzee truly excels at picking the ball up in between midfield and attack and carrying it forward. His stature partnered with his ability on the ball make him very hard to disposes and he draws a lot of fouls too. Think of him as a physically bigger Grealish and you get the idea. I think he’d be very useful to us, especially in transition. As others have said, he’d be like a false 9 with the idea that our wingers and Bruno would play off him. Considering the severe lack of actual strikers available, this type of player, at his age, is probably the right way to go.

It can only be a good thing to have a different kind of option. I think there'd be scope for them getting playing time together as well, either in the kind of two striker system we played in the last few games or with Zirkzee on the left or Hojlund on the right of the 4-2-3-1.

They seem like they'd be pretty complementary. Hojlund must be dying to have a less selfish forward than Rashford/Garnacho/Antony playing with him at times.
Yes, agreed that they'd be very complementary if played together.

This is such a rubbish tweet. How are we ‘exploring a deal’ if we aren’t in contact with his club?!
Ornstein, you’re better than this!
Probably because he has release clause and we had been notified by his agent that his release clause is €40m. That means don’t need to have in contact with his club because Bologna isn’t dictating the fees.

Dutch - check
Low release clause - check
Under 26 - check
Striker - check
Mouldable - check

Sounds like a fair transfer. Not too young either. With his status he may also accept a place on the bench now and then.

Top 80% in Serie A in all passing and finishing areas. Top 97% on ball recoveries and duels won in the last third. Sounds like a pressing machine. Eleven goals and four assist, not to shabby. Left footed and 193cm - that is good physical attributes for english football as well.

Lost interest at Dutch

Probably because he has release clause and we had been notified by his agent that his release clause is €40m. That means don’t need to have in contact with his club because Bologna isn’t dictating the fees.
I think his deal with AC Milan was stopped due to his agent demanding €15m, this could be him trying to put pressure on AC Milan.

People who think this guy has a good hold up play don't know what they are talking about. This guy is a forward, not a striker. He is better running at the goal rather than with his back to the goal. He would be useful if he had goal scorers like Mane and Salah on either side of him who can take advantage of his link-up and passing. I don't know how he'll shine in our set-up. Also, half the time we are hoofing the ball for the striker to hold up the ball and get others into play, this guy won't be useful on those occasions. Nor will he be useful in games against big teams where TH parks the bus.

I am not talking based on some youtube snippets. I have actually seen him play a few times while I was checking out Bologna to see what is Motta's style of play.
So is he more like Firminho?

“Kia Joorabchian” is a name I’ve not heard in a long time

Looks more like a footballer that plays deeper and links up the midfield and forward line, so not an out-and-about CF like Hojlund. He needs someone to play with him, so to speak. So, would he be brought as a Hojlund alternative, or are they supposed to be on the pitch together at the same time? If it's the former, United's wingers aren't exactly prolific, so the chances to capitalize on his playstyle don't seem particularly high, but I suppose it's possible if you put Garnacho on the left and Amad on the right. Maybe, kind of? But how would that accommodate Fernandes? Will he be pushing higher looking to finish attacks, or playing alongside Zirkzee, or dropping even deeper? All of that by roaming over the entire pitch? And if him and Hojlund are supposed to be on the pitch together, how would that even work? I guess it would be one more body in the middle, so the other team stops casually strolling through it, but again where does this leave Fernandes? And in that case, I can see Mount being even more irrelevant that he already is.

Furthermore, from what I have seen he doesn't really strike me as some brilliant talent. I have some doubts about him adjusting to having less space and time on the ball. Looks like a strange transfer to me.

Our record with Dutch players aside from RVP, RVN, Jaap and Edwin isn't exactly great. They were all finished articles and assured talents. This guy seems more along the lines of someone like Memphis and that worries me.

Would be an excellent signing. I was actually disappointed when he looked nailed on for Milan.

We need players that can join defense to midfield and midfield to attack. Zirkzee is going to be perfect us. Our forwards are all runners, Rashford, Garnacho and Holjund need chances created for them if they can't use their speed to beat an opponent.

Imagine the space Zirkzee would generate for his forward partners by using his movement and playmaking.

It also gives us the ability to rest Bruno for a few games and not be starved of creativity.
Are you suggesting he’s an AM? Or can play there? I thought he was like a false 9. Not sure he has the creativeness to play as our main creator in the number 10 role. Also not sure if he’s work with Hojlund. It’s probably him or Hojlund that would start. We need a creative winger who can assist the ST in the box.

Sorry if its been asked, but is there a reason I'm not aware of as to why he's behind players like Brobbey and Weghorst in the pecking order for the NL team?

And also why he tends not to score goals?

I can't even tell myself if I'm sincerely asking or just being a dick :lol:

Uh oh ...

Actually @bosnian_red, how likely is it that the statsbomb radar is garbage? Decent amount of green on https://fbref.com/en/players/028e70b9/scout/365_m1/Joshua-Zirkzee-Scouting-Report
Look where all the green is, though. Big guy with nice touches and isn’t really much of a traditional striker? Sounds a bit like Havertz being up there. Similar-ish sort of fbref profile too — https://fbref.com/en/players/fed7cb61/Kai-Havertz (edit; if you click “forwards” on Havertz’s profile)

Last edited:
Looking at our inability to create chances, a forward like him could make more sense

It could make sense if Rashford can find his form back from a couple of seasons ago, Bruno discovers his goal scoring boots and Garnacho/Amad can improve on their goal scoring. Others will have to take up the goal scoring burden as Zirkzee is not a guy who is going to get you 20+ goals/season in the league. Also, our style of play will have to improve a lot to a more progressive style for him to look good.

If we are to make a comparison, then Firminho would be the closest.

I agree with some of the posters, maybe a co-incidence that he is Dutch, but a big part of me immediately baulks that this (and De Ligt) are more of ETHs picks

Sorry if its been asked, but is there a reason I'm not aware of as to why he's behind players like Brobbey and Weghorst in the pecking order for the NL team?

And also why he tends not to score goals?

I can't even tell myself if I'm sincerely asking or just being a dick :lol:
Different striker/forward types.

Funny you say that, considering our wingers i.e. Rashford and Garnacho who are likely to start are both more goal scoring wide players who would benefit from Zirkzee's style of play. With Bologna that you've said you watch you can see how either Ferguson or Orsolini etc play off him. He comes deep and they run into space, similar to how Martial.would do and open space for Rashy and Greenwood under Ole. In addition Zirkzee can play off the left and thus we can also play him and Hojlund together too so it gives us various options. We don't need a box striker, that's what Hojlund is, we need someone who adds something different and with his height and speed combo, he gives us just that.

We would need clinical wide players for him to succeed. Someone will have to get 20+ goals from out wide as this guy is not a primary goal scorer. Our wide players are not providers, I agree, but I wouldn't necessarily call them goal scorers either. At least not yet.

He is a completely different profile of striker than Hojlund. And both of them would hardly play together. That's the reason I am expecting us to go for a more established striker who can fill in the gap while Hojlund is developing. With Zirkzee we would be going in a completely different direction.

Our record with Dutch players aside from RVP, RVN, Jaap and Edwin isn't exactly great. They were all finished articles and assured talents. This guy seems more along the lines of someone like Memphis and that worries me.

True, when you ignore all the successful ones, you're left with no successful ones.

Seems like it. Which isn't a bad thing. Firminho was essential for klopp's Liverpool, his ability to drop deep allowed Salah and Mane to flourish.

Hoijlund at Atalanta under the system at the time, spend alot of time working the channels ala a young Shearer did at Blackburn. There's no reason not to think that Zirkzee could allow Utd to chance how we approach forward play. Rather than a static target man, use a more fluid, interchangable approach between the forwards.

Only concern is like de light is this a signing INEOS want or ETH wants?

Fair enough if you want to make that argument. I don't believe that Serie A can be held up as an elite league anymore considering where it once was. It is behind La Liga and Premier league. Not to say it is bad or Dutch league levels - just it hasn't recovered and like in Germany, a number of players that look great come to England and get exposed because the defense isn't great.

Unlike Germany where attackers have come here and struggled after putting up big numbers, we have seen some nothing strikers go to Italy and score lots. I think the worry is that Zirkzee doesn't appeared to have done that.
I wouldn’t sign Zirkzee he’s like a marginal better version of Weg who we had before and doesn’t score goals, he’s not that quick and similar to big man that drops deep and tries to play in wide inverted strikers.

My issue is the Agent is a toad and wants €15m that’s a big red flag for me ok the agent probably wants £150-175k per week too in wages for the player, rather go for Maximilian Bier, Guirassy, Solanke or even Ivan Toney.

I also think Eithan Wheatley has the physical attributes to come through next season. For me we should be looking at an elder player 26-28, R Hojlund 21-23, and Wheatley 18-20 age. If Toney could be done for £40m that’s the right deal for United.

I like Zirkzee, seems like the kind of forward who can be fairly versatile and when he's not covering for Hojlund, could still be useful in many matches. I think he'll go to Milan though.

People have to accept that we have to start developing talent. We can't go out and buy ready-made players because we neither have the sporting pedigree nor the money.
As long as he's talented and has great potential, I am up for it. Also seems a different profile to Hoijlund, who I think will develop into a pure goalscorer.

I wouldn’t sign Zirkzee he’s like a marginal better version of Weg who we had before and doesn’t score goals, he’s not that quick and similar to big man that drops deep and tries to play in wide inverted strikers.

My issue is the Agent is a toad and wants €15m that’s a big red flag for me ok the agent probably wants £150-175k per week too in wages for the player, rather go for Maximilian Bier, Guirassy, Solanke or even Ivan Toney.

I also think Eithan Wheatley has the physical attributes to come through next season. For me we should be looking at an elder player 26-28, R Hojlund 21-23, and Wheatley 18-20 age. If Toney could be done for £40m that’s the right deal for United.
I mean he did negotiate the low release clause that has now garnered all the interest in him. It's an extortionate agent fee, but even £45m as a total fee isn't exactly a bad deal in the market. It is still probably less than all those you mentioned.

People have to accept that we have to start developing talent. We can't go out and buy ready-made players because we neither have the sporting pedigree nor the money.
As long as he's talented and has great potential, I am up for it.

Not sure a 23 year old can be developed much?
I’d rather we develop say 18-20 year olds.

What are you on about? Zirkzee can dribble, play others in. Quite a skillful player, fast feet, can get out of tight spaces. Absolutely nothing like weg at all. Have you ever seen him play?

Zirkzee is similar to firminho.

Like weg :lol:

Don't know why you think that. 23 is still young and imo, the right age. Room to develop but fairly experienced enough to statr games. How many 18-20-year-olds can start games for Man Utd?

What?! 23 year olds cant be developed much?

There are exceptions like Bellingham, Messi and Rooney who are world class the moment they were born but most players develop into their best versions in their twenties. Also, do you want Manchester United to become Brighton and play with teenagers?

Would be a useful option against low block teams, too.
With him and Hojlund we would have a very menacing threat at the end of a tough game.
Chuck in McTominay as a last gasp sub and we could really put some frustrating games to bed by bullying a tired defence.

What?!? You do realise apart from the outliers of extreme talents, 99% of footballers hit their peaks around 27-28-29. There's plenty of development for a player of 23

I doubt this is a legitimate source, but United tax is now United discount??

Status
Not open for further replies.