Joshua Zirkzee is a Red | and our #11

Other than scoring goals, the one thing this lad brings more than Hojlund is that he's a bit of an assist monster. That part may prove that to be even more critical than before if we can actually get one of our other attackers to start scoring consistently.

Hope we see him in action at some stage tomorrow but not too hopeful if ETH has been quoted correctly in the media as saying he is weeks away from been ready. If this is accurate we really are playing catch up again from the start of the season with weaker squad than last season.

Hope we see him in action at some stage tomorrow but not too hopeful if ETH has been quoted correctly in the media as saying he is weeks away from been ready. If this is accurate we really are playing catch up again from the start of the season with weaker squad than last season.

Feels like ETH gets misquoted a lot. He probably meant it will take some time for Zirkzee to gel with the squad seeing as they only did a couple of days training together.

I like the bits I saw of his style a lot, so I'm hoping he does great since that will mean our attack firing on all cylinders.

#11 isn't a good look though, I would have loved it if he had done some research and picked #20 instead.

Look like reports of a few weeks yet are going to be accurate , you would think if he is in consideration for Friday he would have at least got a few minutes today.

I get the feeling this is one of those where it will take weeks for him to get a start and the whole forum will be baffled. Excuses will be made like "Ten Hag is trying to increase his fitness in training" as if the rest of the Euro/Copa players didn't come back at the same time as him, and somehow they were ok to play today. These will be the same people who defended Ten hag sitting Amad on the bench for months on end.

I get the feeling this is one of those where it will take weeks for him to get a start and the whole forum will be baffled. Excuses will be made like "Ten Hag is trying to increase his fitness in training" as if the rest of the Euro/Copa players didn't come back at the same time as him, and somehow they were ok to play today. These will be the same people who defended Ten hag sitting Amad on the bench for months on end.
Some fantastic angles you’re developing there. Next level.

Can’t wait for that Amad Diallo Zirzkee linkup… gonna be amazing watching these 2 together for many years

Can’t wait for that Amad Diallo Zirzkee linkup… gonna be amazing watching these 2 together for many years
I agree fully. The chance where Amad crossed for Mount, I believe Josh will read that type of play and finish. Can see us playing 2 up top too at times.

The Fellaini observation is a perfect example of a player being compared to another simply because he slightly looks a bit like him.
Yep. DIfferent position, different set of qualities, different career, different everything basically - except for physical appearance.

Or maybe one of those making the comparison can finally point out in what other way they're similar - but so far I have only seen that comment (a few times) without any explanation.

Yep. DIfferent position, different set of qualities, different career, different everything basically - except for physical appearance.

Or maybe one of those making the comparison can finally point out in what other way they're similar - but so far I have only seen that comment (a few times) without any explanation.
Similar hair
Similar skin colour
Both tall
Both from the same part of the world
Both names end in an 'ee' sound
Both played for Man Utd
... the similarities are endless

How are they not exactly the same?

In fact, has anyone ever seen Zirkzee and Fellaini in the same place at the same time?

Similar hair
Similar skin colour
Both tall
Both from the same part of the world
Both names end in an 'ee' sound
Both played for Man Utd
... the similarities are endless

How are they not exactly the same?

In fact, has anyone ever seen Zirkzee and Fellaini in the same place at the same time?
Zirkzee's Dutch 'ee' actually indicates an English 'ay' sound, but otherwise, you're spot on!

Yeah, the comparison is a bit ridiculous to be honest.

Fellaini lacked technical ability, looked uncoordinated and clumsy with the ball and generally relied on his size, strength and heading ability to make an impact.

Have yet to see Zirkzee on a regular basis, but everything I've seen and read so far frames Zirkzee as a very technical player who probably doesn't utilise his strength and frame as much as he should and someone who needs to work on their heading.

Two completely different profiles.

Other than scoring goals, the one thing this lad brings more than Hojlund is that he's a bit of an assist monster. That part may prove that to be even more critical than before if we can actually get one of our other attackers to start scoring consistently.

He had 6 assists in 57 Serie A appearances. It’s not awful, but calling him a monster might be stretching it.

He had 6 assists in 57 Serie A appearances. It’s not awful, but calling him a monster might be stretching it.

He assisted 7 and scored 13 in 3,693 minutes which is around 41 games and his combined 20 G&A means a goal or assist every other game.

He played the minutes equivalent of 30 games last year in which he got 11 goals and 5 assists in the league so 16 in 30 which shows his output is on a steady upward curve.

He may not work out the in the PL as many better players have found that the physicality and speed is quite different but his dribbling and through balls are brilliant and he drops quite deep meaning he will usually be the pass before the assist, looking at his FBREF profile you will see as well he is someone that wins the ball back a lot high up the pitch with a good retention and passing ability.

He assisted 7 and scored 13 in 3,693 minutes which is around 41 games and his combined 20 G&A means a goal or assist every other game.

He played the minutes equivalent of 30 games last year in which he got 11 goals and 5 assists in the league so 16 in 30 which shows his output is on a steady upward curve.

He may not work out the in the PL as many better players have found that the physicality and speed is quite different but his dribbling and through balls are brilliant and he drops quite deep meaning he will usually be the pass before the assist, looking at his FBREF profile you will see as well he is someone that wins the ball back a lot high up the pitch with a good retention and passing ability.

Personally I put more on the eye test over stats, and he passes that for me in the admittedly little bits I’ve seen of him.

But I can’t ignore his numbers either. I’m not massively sold on him, but he’s young, as you mention he’s on an upwards trajectory, and he may be due a proper breakout season, so fingers crossed. Plus he didn’t cost a lot in the grand scheme of things, so in a limited market he was a decent calculated gamble.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5700872/2024/08/15/joshua-zirkzee-manchester-united-profile/

In the end, the mentality he showed me, he was like a one-of-a-kind warrior,” Van der Meulen says. “Always there for the team, blaming himself when things go wrong, being able to proceed in the game after. ‘OK, I failed, it happened, but I’ll try again’. That always remains in my mind about the way 13-year-old Joshua was.”

“You want to calculate if he is contributing to the game because he is bigger, faster, stronger, or is he contributing to the game because of his skills?” Hertog recalls. “That’s always difficult. What I liked about Josh is that he’s so creative in solutions — with the ball and without the ball — which makes him a special player for me.”

“If he doesn’t feel a connection with you (as a coach), then there’s a big chance it’s not going to happen,” says Hertog, who cites Zirkzee’s relationship with Vincent Kompany during his time on loan at Anderlecht as particularly strong and beneficial.

I've had to stop reading articles like that. They're all well written and well sourced but I'm just jaded by them. I'm fairly certain they even wrote one about Weghorst when he came on loan.

I saw the Slot one the other day and all the comments from excited Liverpool fans and was cynically reminded of how excited I'd been by the Van Gaal, Rangnick, Mourinho and Ten Hag puff pieces of the past.

Is he injured?
Apparently he’s been out injured and has now got back to full fitness - but hasn’t had any match action - as per ETH’s comments so we don’t have any striker right now. It’s a pre requisite to be part of our squads it seems. Shame as I thought we’d get to see our only new attacker in action today.

Last edited:
Disappointing if he’s not able to take part today.

Such a United thing. We’ve got 2 strikers and neither being fit to start the season.