Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Hope he will come good. This guy has a horrendous start here. Prevented a goal against Brighton and changed the course of the game that cause our defeat.

Missed some good chances vs Liverpool and so far off the pace for PL.

Hope not another Antony or Sancho who are not suited to PL.

Like I said earlier he's the kind of signing you make when all of the other squad pieces are in place

There's a poster that's always going on about him not having scored a header. Shut that one up I suppose.

I just assumed he would struggle to get chances because he'd be too deep in play and doesn't seem to crash the box as hard as you'd like for a 9 who drops deep that much (like Martial near the end), but so far it looks like he might get a normal amount of goalscoring chances, which is promising for a guy of his style.

Like I said earlier he's the kind of signing you make when all of the other squad pieces are in place

Or the type of signing you make when you dont have a team that is going to win right now but that could win in a few years time when certain players have developed.

Or the type of signing you make when you dont have a team that is going to win right now but that could win in a few years time when certain players have developed.
How baffling is the notion of delaying to sign a player because the team isn't ready to win yet? It doesn't matter what order you sign players. If they fit what you want to do - then you sign them up. Liverpool didn't have a team ready to challenge before signing Firmino.

How baffling is the notion of delaying to sign a player because the team isn't ready to win yet? It doesn't matter what order you sign players. If they fit what you want to do - then you sign them up. Liverpool didn't have a team ready to challenge before signing Firmino.

I meant it as that i dont think Zirkzee is good enough to lead a club to win a title right now but, if he develops as a player, he could be good enough in a few years.

If players like Yoro, Mainoo, Garnacho, Amad and Hojlund also develop than in a few years there could be a very good young core that could win the league.

Im glad Zirkzee was signed. Serie A young player of the year for a relative low fee compared to other forwards. That is not a bad deal at all.

I meant it as that i dont think Zirkzee is good enough to lead a club to win a title right now but, if he develops as a player, he could be good enough in a few years.

If players like Yoro, Mainoo, Garnacho, Amad and Hojlund also develop than in a few years there could be a very good young core that could win the league.

Im glad Zirkzee was signed. Serie A young player of the year for a relative low fee compared to other forwards. That is not a bad deal at all.
Agreed. It was more the comment that you were replying to that caught my eye. Seems to be a bit of scepticism from some fans regarding the Zirkzee signing. For the price, I don't see much to worry about.

Hope he will come good. This guy has a horrendous start here. Prevented a goal against Brighton and changed the course of the game that cause our defeat.

Missed some good chances vs Liverpool and so far off the pace for PL.

Hope not another Antony or Sancho who are not suited to PL.

Agreed horrendous start apart from the goal in literally his first game

Lads he didn't win a header in 4 mins in the Euros, forget about him.

Having a crazy game. 1 goal and 1 assist, also created 3 big chances which all fell to Reijnders who missed all of them. Should have had hattrick of assists in all honesty. :lol:

Going off Twitter comments it sounds like he’s having a stormer.

Having a crazy game. 1 goal and 1 assist, also created 3 big chances which all fell to Reijnders who missed all of them. Should have had hattrick of assists in all honesty. :lol:

Reijnders scored one from a Zirkzee assist but yes, Reinders isnt wearing his finishing boots.

I don't see how that's true at all. I think it's the opposite, actually. Cheap signing that improves the team immediately whether or not his ceiling is very high or not. If we already had a team ready to win the league, Zirkzee wouldn't move the needle for us as much as he does now.

Reijnders scored one from a Zirkzee assist but yes, Reinders isnt wearing his finishing boots.
Yea. Although he scored of a Zirkzee assist, he missed all of the better chances Zirkzee created.

A lot of praise for Zirkzee. Was the opposite against Liverpool. People saying he’s well out of his depth

A lot of praise for Zirkzee. Was the opposite against Liverpool. People saying he’s well out of his depth
We don't do half measures in the Zirkzee thread!

Case in point:
Watching the game, I think it's clear Zirkzee has just above the speed of Vini Junior, the touch of Berbatov, the pressing of Tevez, the flair of Ronaldinho, the mentality of Roy Keane, the grace of Zidane, the passing of Xavi, the dribbling and balance of Messi, the positioning & finishing of Ruud, the on-the-ball mobility of R9 and the tackling of AWB (yes - say something!)

This is not me meaning to be negative by the way, I'm just being understandably reserved with my assessment, simply because I don't want to go overboard this early in his Man United career.
It's just how we roll here

It is possible to praise him for good game against Bosnia while the same player looked out of depth against Liverpool? Hopefully Zirkzee improves as a player and in the future will also receive praise for playing well against a strong opponent like Liverpool.

People who were starting to write off Zirkzee in his first game (before he scored), restarted writing him off after the offside against Brighton and confirmed Zirkzee as written off after the Liverpool game are idiots but people who said he was bad or looked out of his depth against Liverpool have a point.

It is possible to praise him for good game against Bosnia while the same player looked out of depth against Liverpool? Hopefully Zirkzee improves as a player and in the future will also receive praise for playing well against a strong opponent like Liverpool.

People who were starting to write off Zirkzee in his first game (before he scored), restarted writing him off after the offside against Brighton and confirmed Zirkzee as written off after the Liverpool game are idiots but people who said he was bad or looked out of his depth against Liverpool have a point.

Saying he played badly in that one game is fine. Saying he was out of his depth remains stupid. As that implies he is fundamentally unable to play at that level. It’s his first few games at a new club, in a new league. Trying to draw any long term conclusion is a mug’s game.

So that's the end of it is it? Played poorly in the first half against Liverpool so that's him sorted? Can't cope with any positivity can you

He was awful against Liverpool and couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. That's true. But this manager and his football will make every player look lesser, so it's hard to say anything right now.

Bosnia are not Liverpool.

He might be a top player for us nevertheless. Still early days for him.

So that's the end of it is it? Played poorly in the first half against Liverpool so that's him sorted? Can't cope with any positivity can you
Not me criticising him. Just saying there was a lot of people and I bet some are the same that’s praising him tonight.

At least this Bosnia game can put to out the notion that Zirkzee is behind Weghorst in the Dutch picking order. He's behind Weghorst in the impact sub role, sure - but he was only behind Depay for the starting XI, and that's mostly because Depay has been Koeman's go-to starter for ages now. This latest match hopefully will challenge that tradition.

I thought he did well on his first start for the Dutch.
Nice improvised goal and an assist and some great link up play ...what more do you want?
I like him.

Plays poorly in his first PL start against one of the best teams in the league. Gets slaughtered.
Plays well against Bosnia. "yeah but they aren't Liverpool"

Fecking hell.

Plays poorly in his first PL start against one of the best teams in the league. Gets slaughtered.

Fecking hell.
I did'nt think he was that bad against Liverpool
He should have scored the chances that Marcus created for him in the second half but I was impressed that he got on the end of those in the first place and I think he will come good once he adjusts to the league.

Fecking hell.
Think most people forget he missed preseason entirely and he’s still playing catchup in terms of match fitness.

We could have got someone with 65 Serie A Goals in just over 100 games for about 20-25 million more. Instead we ended up with a lad with 13 and got told he's more of a creative striker than one that scores