2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Out of interest, do you think he's done a good job organising the defence?

Well we have looked decent defensively for the most part in this run of games so maybe, but i suspect it would be a very hard thing to judge.

He seems to be the only one who is vocal for the most part but who knows if his organisation has been a positive or negative on actual performances.

But the fact he is actually taking the responsibility of being vocal and organising the younger defenders could only be viewed as a positive with regards to Evans character could it not?

Look lads i'll give Evans more leeway than most on here, but those reckless, stupid errors will cost us in the end. He's finished here.

Not only him, the whole defense needs restructured.

He's about the same level as Wes Brown. Not really good enough for united but would star for a midtable club team

An insult to Brown. Brown was class and you could depend on him to do a job. He was an athlete and way talented and stronger than Evans. A real insult to Brown. Even O'shea was better than Evans

He has been utter pony all season and I don't see him getting better. Not only is he a bad player, he feeds the opponent chances on a game-by-game basis.I cringe at the fact that he keeps making it in the team, I'd rather play Fosu-Mensah for feck sake.

An insult to Brown. Brown was class and you could depend on him to do a job. He was an athlete and way talented and stronger than Evans. A real insult to Brown. Even O'shea was better than Evans

I'd agree in that Brown was a much much better player than Evans during his prime. Terrible injury problems and he didn't really reach the level people were hoping for, but in terms of tackles, he was a beast. Had more pace too. And a lot stronger. For me, there isn't a particular strength Evans has. He's OK in some aspects, but too weak, too timid for one of our more experienced players who really should be a leader at the back. Would do well at a midtable club though.

This, Brown was actually a good player, Evans this season is like Evans in his first season for a 26 years old player, that's a disgrace.

This, Brown was actually a good player, Evans this season is like Evans in his first season for a 26 years old player, that's a disgrace.

There are a lot of people who reckon Evans first full season 2008-09 was actually his best to date, when he played a big part in the run of what was it 14 straight clean sheets in the league. So that's a bit of a strange comparison.

Well we have looked decent defensively for the most part in this run of games so maybe, but i suspect it would be a very hard thing to judge.

He seems to be the only one who is vocal for the most part but who knows if his organisation has been a positive or negative on actual performances.

But the fact he is actually taking the responsibility of being vocal and organising the younger defenders could only be viewed as a positive with regards to Evans character could it not?

He seems to shout at players the most right after his errors. Laughable player

There are a lot of people who reckon Evans first full season 2008-09 was actually his best to date, when he played a big part in the run of what was it 14 straight clean sheets in the league. So that's a bit of a strange comparison.

My memory is rubbish, was that his second season when he was literally afraid of his shadow ?

Edit: Are you sure of that ? because i remember him being good with Sunderland but rubbish with us.

My memory is rubbish, was that his second season when he was literally afraid of his shadow ?

Can't say i remember him being too bad that season to be honest though i may be wrong. I do remember him having bad spells in 2010-11 and 2011-12 and then looking a good player again in Ferguson's final year.

Can't say i remember him being too bad that season to be honest though i may be wrong. I do remember him having bad spells in 2010-11 and 2011-12 and then looking a good player again in Ferguson's final year.
Nah he had a bad season and lots of people were confident he'd be gone. Then he turned it around and was seen as as our best CB and not a great player but a very good one. Hence the calls for him as captain. Those bad spells you mention weren't really that bad as his second season and this one.

he will be very quick out of the door if he performs like that till the end of the season. Wouldnt surprise me to see him go in the summer after buying one or two centre backs. Cleverley didnt last long, same with Evans.

Really started to rate him prior to this season, particularly in the 12/13 season when he really was as good as if not better than Rio.

Has been woeful for the majority of this season. System or not, he just shits himself. Struggles with pacey players, isn't powerful enough to deal with a handful like Crouch or Benteke and has the most punchable face.

Nah he had a bad season and lots of people were confident he'd be gone. Then he turned it around and was seen as as our best CB and not a great player but a very good one. Hence the calls for him as captain. Those bad spells you mention weren't really that bad as his second season and this one.

Thats pretty much how i remember his time here as well mate, though as i said i may well have been wrong about his form in 2009-10. I remembered his bad spell being later than that.

The only one of his early seasons i remember clearly was his first, he's never looked as good as he did back then since. But i still think he's been a pretty good player for us for the most part.

I reckon we will see a much improved Evans this season if he manages to get a run in a back 4 and not this abomination of a formation that we use right now. Jesus do i hate 352.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

While Evans has been on the pitch in the following games:

Villa
Newcastle
Tottenham

we have conceded only 2 goals (1 of which was a penalty, for whom Jones was directly responsible).
Have I got this right?

Goals conceded don't tell the full story. He has had several lapse of concentration that could have led to us conceding goals. He just wasn't being punished for it.

Thats pretty much how i remember his time here as well mate, though as i said i may well have been wrong about his form in 2009-10. I remembered his bad spell being later than that.

The only one of his early seasons i remember clearly was his first, he's never looked as good as he did back then since. But i still think he's been a pretty good player for us for the most part.

I reckon we will see a much improved Evans this season if he manages to get a run in a back 4 and not this abomination of a formation that we use right now. Jesus do i hate 352.

If all our other CBs including youngsters like Blackett and McNair can perform in 3-5-2 then why can't Evans? This is a weak excuse and i've heard it many times. Our so called best ball playing CB is also our least adaptable. Not good enough

The reconstruction of our defence should start with selling him.
He is clearly not cut out for first team play.

I think people on this forum are looking for a V.Kompany or J.Terry type level of player.
At present at least, J.Evans is not of this level.
However, the reasons why we have drawn in our last 3 away games is not Evans' fault.

LvG decided last Summer that the best way for us to win the league will be to be attack heavy.
Basically, we will out-score the opposition.
We got Di Maria, Herrera and Falcao to achieve this. All 3 have been injury prone and have not proved their worth yet. IMO Di Maria was a terrible purchase, but that's a discussion for another day.
We are drawing games not because of Evans, but because our attackers are not able to score more than 1 goal. And just to highlight, in 4 games with Evans in defence, we have conceded 3 goals, which I dont think is a bad statistic.

In comparison, in the last 4 games:

Man City have conceded: 5 goals.
Chelsea: 6 goals.
Man Utd: 3 goals.

Our issue is not the defence or Evans. The issue is our attack. Its injured/weak/limp and devoid of ideas right now.
Have a read

Smalling has been vocal too, just without the mistakes almost every game

I think people on this forum are looking for a V.Kompany or J.Terry type level of player.

His form this season would put him as a mid table level of player. All thats being asked of him is that he's solid when he plays, not that he's one of the top CBs in the league. So far he's been found wanting

There was one moment today when Evans was screaming like a mad man at De Gea for no reason, like our keeper was the one who was messing everything up. Seemed like Jonny was really stressed.

The thing is with Jonny Evans, I understand it's difficult for him at the moment and he doesn't want to lose the ball and he's low on confidence and all that. But his decision making with the ball on his feet is ridiculous. The dithering is insane, he keeps on making 6 or more touches, after which he cuts back and plays a useless side- or backway pass. Or he hoofs it over Falcao after standing still with the ball for 10 seconds while two midfielders are free. And he's aware that it´s not going well with his passing, so the moment there is space to play a good pass, he hesitates and then, again, plays the useless simple pass to the first player tha comes available. We can never fully dominate a match with decision making like that.

Phil Jones and Smalling aren't perfect with the ball, but at least they aren't completely useless with it either, and I'm surprised how quickly they've showed progression, especially Smalling. Jones already played in midfield against Real Madrid two years ago, playing some passes with the outside of his foot, he's a really strange player and might actually be our best footballing CB at the moment.

Defensively Evans has had poor moments too, but our back three has also had some solid moments with him in it. But the way he missed that long ball yesterday, I fear for the worst. Jonny really needs to raise his game, and not a little bit.

He's starting to remind me of Cleverley. Time for LVG to drop his trouser.

However, the reasons why we have drawn in our last 3 away games is not Evans' fault.

LvG decided last Summer that the best way for us to win the league will be to be attack heavy.
We got Di Maria, Herrera and Falcao to achieve this. All 3 have been injury prone and have not proved their worth yet. IMO Di Maria was a terrible purchase, but that's a discussion for another day.
We are drawing games not because of Evans, but because our attackers are not able to score more than 1 goal. And just to highlight, in 4 games with Evans in defence, we have conceded 3 goals, which I dont think is a bad statistic.

Our issue is not the defence or Evans. The issue is our attack. Its injured/weak/limp and devoid of ideas right now.

Have a read.

The defence is definitely a massive problem, it just doesn't fully manifest itself as goals against due largely to us having the best GK in the league working overtime. I think we're the third worst in the league when it comes to chances conceded through defensive errors? That seems like a more accurate reflection of what we're seeing every week.

Terrible again. The Diouf mistake was laughable. He was lucky that chance came on Diouf's left. And the back pass against Liverpool should have been scored too. If these goals went in I don't think we would see Evans for a while.

I backed him and rated him highly. What has happened to his passing? He looks a shadow of the defender he once was. I guess he needs a strong partner with him to thrive. Sort it out.

I backed him and rated him highly. What has happened to his passing? He looks a shadow of the defender he once was. I guess he needs a strong partner with him to thrive. Sort it out.

If he still needs a strong partner at age 27 to mask his weaknesses, then we have a problem because he is supposed to be a leader at that age. IMHO, I think the best for all parties is to part ways with him during summer.

Have a read.

Evans has been absolute wank this season. We've had De Gea and opposition strikers missing chances to thank for not conceding far more goals. Think its time to sell, I'd rather his minutes be given to McNair.

Time is up for him. Needs to leave in the summer.

We need to buy a new left sided defender, a potential leader of the defense, and let Evans go. Bring back M.Keane as the back-up academy CB in the summer.

There was one moment today when Evans was screaming like a mad man at De Gea for no reason, like our keeper was the one who was messing everything up. Seemed like Jonny was really stressed.

The thing is with Jonny Evans, I understand it's difficult for him at the moment and he doesn't want to lose the ball and he's low on confidence and all that. But his decision making with the ball on his feet is ridiculous. The dithering is insane, he keeps on making 6 or more touches, after which he cuts back and plays a useless side- or backway pass. Or he hoofs it over Falcao after standing still with the ball for 10 seconds while two midfielders are free. And he's aware that it´s not going well with his passing, so the moment there is space to play a good pass, he hesitates and then, again, plays the useless simple pass to the first player tha comes available. We can never fully dominate a match with decision making like that.

Phil Jones and Smalling aren't perfect with the ball, but at least they aren't completely useless with it either, and I'm surprised how quickly they've showed progression, especially Smalling. Jones already played in midfield against Real Madrid two years ago, playing some passes with the outside of his foot, he's a really strange player and might actually be our best footballing CB at the moment.

Defensively Evans has had poor moments too, but our back three has also had some solid moments with him in it. But the way he missed that long ball yesterday, I fear for the worst. Jonny really needs to raise his game, and not a little bit.

He's weirdly good at dribbling. His passing is really average even for a CB, he doesn't move the ball fast enough to play in midfield regularly in games we expect to have a lot of possession. And we all know how wank his crossing is when he plays right back! Strange player indeed.

Have a read.

We have kept goals out in spite of Evan's presence. You can't hide a poor individual performance behind positive results. Evans has presented teams with chances to score with his sloppiness, he's been lucky not to be punished.

His fall has been quite dramatic. There was a time when people here were not bothered about Pique leaving because we had Evans. He was so assured for his age that he looked nailed to become a mainstay in our defence for the next decade. His decline started when he began to get bullied by physically strong strikers. He then recovered to become our best defender for awhile, although not quite at the level he was initially expected to reach. Over the last few years, though, he seems to be in freefall and now he just looks a bit pointless and mediocre.

You disagree with what that he was decent against Spurs and Newcastle?

Then you are only letting yourself see the bad and ignoring the good mate, even in here the general consensus was he was good defensively against Spurs and had a decent game vs Newcastle.

No thanks mate, out of interest have you recently watched the 95 games he's played in the last 3 seasons? I will go out on a limb and say you haven't, because if you had you would realise the rest of your post is wild exaggeration.

I have not missed a game for many a year pal so if you want to assume that i have then on you go but I'm right about Evans distribution. You very clearly mistake my post for saying he was woeful in all games - I've said his distribution was which is a significant part of the problem.

As for Spurs and Newcastle. I'd ask you to watch them again and count the number of times Evans gives the ball away with a ridiculous hoof up the channel.

As for ignoring the good - this is Man Utd for fecks sake. I'm not settling for a guy who can defend ok 3/4 of a game . We need better.

To be fair, it's understandable that his distribution is poor seeing as he's playing on the left side of the defence. In this 3-5-2 formation when the three defenders spread as much as they do, it's vital to have a leftie on the left. I'd have liked to see Shaw there, would likely have improved our ability to carry the ball out of defence.