2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Hoping he improves when (if) we switch to a back 4. He looks completely and utterly clueless in a 3.

Was thinking just before i logged on here after the match that the Evans bashers will be frothing at the mouth eager to lay into him again as Jonny was pretty poor today (as was most of the team). Then remembered Jones was actually worse and cost us a goal so he might draw all or at least most the flak today. No... guess i should know this place better by now.

Come here to find about 8 posts in the Jones thread and 3 pages of bile most of it during the actual match in this thread.

What was that again lads about Evans not being a scapegoat?

He had some decent spells under Fergie but it was always next to a more experienced defender. He just can't be relied upon to lead. The moment between him and Shaw was laughable. He was happy to see the ball bounce in the box than clear it. It was his to deal with. Passing the buck tells me he doesn't need to be playing.

Looks beyond void of all confidence. The first half in particular was an absolute horror show. As he fecked up and lost possession in the box to Diouf I was there thinking to myself... Why do the center backs we play against never feck up like this?

Looks beyond void of all confidence. The first half in particular was an absolute horror show. As he fecked up and lost possession in the box to Diouf I was there thinking to myself... Why do the center backs we play against never feck up like this?
Aye, looks more nervous than I've seen him at the moment. Whether that's down to his injuries, or just the lack of consistent games and form I don't know. He's a good player, but a sustained period of poor form under a new manager like this can kill you.

Was thinking just before i logged on here after the match that the Evans bashers will be frothing at the mouth eager to lay into him again as Jonny was pretty poor today (as was most of the team). Then remembered Jones was actually worse and cost us a goal so he might draw all or at least most the flak today. No... guess i should know this place better by now.

Come here to find about 8 posts in the Jones thread and 3 pages of bile most of it during the actual match in this thread.

He's not a scapegoat. He's just a shite player. He's like a cleverley standard player, will look more at home at an Aston Villa standard team then Manchester United. Had he not been a United youth player, he would have been sold years ago. Even the thing people tend to say he has over other defenders, his passing, is shite. He's weak, gets pushed around too easily, gets caught ball watching, and generally makes mistakes that lead to great chances every single game. Sure he can look decent in spurts, but who wants a defender who looks decent for 60 minutes and awful for 30? Jones isn't very good either but Evans is by far our worst defender.

He's not a scapegoat. Just an awful defender (based on this season).

How many mistakes has he done this season? On Carling Cup a few, then two or three against Liverpool, then against Benteke, then today. And surely I have missed some. All of them could have easily been goals (well, some of them were) if it wasn't for poor finishing and for the incredible De Gea.

I just don't get why people call scapegoats the likes of him (or Cleverley last season). Isn't a scapegoat someone who gets criticized unfairly? Well, that isn't the case here.

Its bold but I think now maybe true..

jonny evans is the worst defender in the league. I cannot think of one worse.

Problem with Evans goes beyond confidence now. We have spent the last 5 seasons making excuses to why he has moments like this. At least when he was younger for every bad game he would have it was replaced by a good one. Now he just looks like hes a liability whenever he wonders out onto the pitch.

I think the time has come for us to cut our losses

The reason we are where we are (and were where we were last year) is because we accept shite like Evans as one of our senior defenders.

Problem with Evans goes beyond confidence now. We have spent the last 5 seasons making excuses to why he has moments like this. At least when he was younger for every bad game he would have it was replaced by a good one. Now he just looks like hes a liability whenever he wonders out onto the pitch.

I think the time has come for us to cut our losses
You may be right, but I think it's hard to tell for sure. I feel that the majority of his errors can still be put down to poor decision making due to him having a lack of confidence in his own abilities.

He should be a back-up player at best, he isn't good enough to start for us. I would be surprised if Van Gaal doesn't ship him on.

Evans was horrific today, but Jones was inexcusably responsible for the goal.

The fix here is to repair Rojo asap and bench Evans, a defender who would be nowhere near the radar of Chelsea and City. Even Arsenal and Liverpool would have no use for him.

I thought some of the criticism of Evans was harsh, until today. He actually deserves to be behind McNair in the pecking order now. Looks a shadow of the player he was in 2013.

Hate for him is unbelievable.

Voted for him as MotM.

He was the only defender not guilty for losing the goal.

Love for sheet Smalling is another strange thing...
Yeah, because Diouf can't finish, his mistake for that chance was far worse than that of Jones for the opening goal. He's atrocious, the ball literally stops when he reaches him, he take longer than anyone else on the pitch to make a decision to pass it 5 yards, usually waywardly. He's shot, can't defend, can't pass, what's the point in him?

You may be right, but I think it's hard to tell for sure. I feel that the majority of his errors can still be put down to poor decision making due to him having a lack of confidence in his own abilities.
I'd agree with you when you say its all in his head. I'm almost sure it is but at a club like United you should be able to have that mental resilience to pull your socks up and get stuck in. All Evans does is hid/shy away from things and without personalities like Vidic and Rio we cant have him here any longer.

Usually i support our players and give them time/benefit of the doubt but in Evans case (a bit like Cleverley) i just cant see us improving with him in the team

Voted for him as MotM.

Yeah MoTM for a player who could have cost us yet another goal this season. Was guilty of lossing possession countless times and was very weak in the tackle.

Jesus what do you expect from our CBs? At least Smalling and Jones both try to play the ball forward and get forward themselves to help in attacks along with being strong in tackles. Evans is the polar opposite.

Ship the bastard to Glasgow Rangers and make sure he stays there. If he wants to win titles on the rest of his miserable career, he can stay in the Scottish leagues.

Our defense start out moves and it's probably why our moves rarely get going. There's no excuse for Evans. You either be a man or you go. We saw in pre season LVG backing Cleverly and Tom saying in a press conference he was the man. LVG saw though that. Needs to really step it up because he's showing himself not to be a leader. He's coming up to his prime and I'm sure we will look to do better in the summer. It's a shame. He's come through the ranks but too many of these players are either not good enough or do not work hard enough in training to become better players. Evans letting Diouf in when he had two chances to deal with it? Not good enough.

Voted for him as MotM.

Controversial.

He was terrible and has been for a while now. Also, someone needs to tell him not to start mouthing off at others for his own mistakes.

He's an absolute tool at times. Mistakes today, passing was heavy when he joined the attack. Could have cost us the game.

To be fair to Jones and Smalling they are not consistently giving goalscoring opportunities away like Evans. I think most fans are recognising right now the standard he is showing is like Cleverley before him not good enough.

He's not a scapegoat.

He's not a scapegoat.

If you say so lads, and yet similar poor performances today from Evans and Jones result in vastly different reactions on here. A few posts in the Jones thread and pages worth of rubbish in here. He had a few decent games in a row there and this thread went quiet then a bad performance when most of the team were dogshit and again people pile in here (even during the actual match) to bash him. But all fair objective criticism i'm sure.

He's the Cafs new whipping boy it seems to blame all the teams failings on.

To be fair to Jones and Smalling they are not consistently giving goalscoring opportunities away like Evans.

Come on mate Jones was as bad today. I never mentioned Smalling.

I think most fans are recognising right now the standard he is showing is like Cleverley before him not good enough.

He's like a cleverley standard player

I just don't get why people call scapegoats the likes of him (or Cleverley last season). Isn't a scapegoat someone who gets criticized unfairly? Well, that isn't the case here.

Isn't this the Evans thread?