2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Lack of form and injuries, could say the same of half the squad. He's a good player just unfortunately anyone who plays in defence is going to be under the spotlight. Was the same for CM last year. Carricks doing the same as he's was doing last year but now without the critism.

Every forum needs a dog to kick, pick a CB.....

Nah, he's not getting off that easily. He has been poor for longer than he has been good in his entire United career. And he's 27, not 22. In fact, the further back you go, the better he was. He hasn't been good for a long time now, just levelled out at average here and there for a few spells.

No, he's been outstanding apart from the games he's played in recently. He was our best defender up until his injury. Jones is already 10 times the player Evans is despite being 5 years younger.

Outstanding is a stretch i would say he did have a good run before his injury. But judging him over this season as a whole he hasn't been brilliant that's a fact.

10 times the player? Jesus he must be good can't wait to see it. And 5 years younger as well how much better will he be when he's 27 then 20 times better? Or is that hyperbole?

Lack of form and injuries, could say the same of half the squad. He's a good player just unfortunately anyone who plays in defence is going to be under the spotlight. Was the same for CM last year. Carricks doing the same as he's was doing last year but now without the critism.

Every forum needs a dog to kick, pick a CB.....

Injuries? Why is it then that everytime Smalling comes back from one he looks the best CB we have almost every time?
Evans doesnt have the balls to be a top CB. He is not strong enough physically and mentally I fear.

The excuses in this thread are hilarious. That mistake yesterday was unbelievable. You shouldnt give away those balls in Sunday league. But do those things happen once to him? No he has at least one big feck up in almost every game he plays for us.

He either grows a pair or fecks off it's that easy atm.

I'm glad that everyone seems to be in agreement now, Johnny Evans has given stevoc and Getsme a difficult corner to fight from here.

Corner to fight? Im not fighting Evans corner more pointing out that other players can play like shit and have similar poor performances and get off without much criticism but Evans has poor game and gets vilified on here.

Would it surprise you to know i have never really liked Evans that much or ever rated him particularly highly? And i have said as much in here a few times. Never thought he would be anything more than a decent/good squad player.

But this bandwagon circle jerk scapegoating of one of our own players and a product of our academy no less, is what i find distasteful.

Outstanding is a stretch i would say he did have a good run before his injury. But judging him over this season as a whole he hasn't been brilliant that's a fact.

10 times the player? Jesus he must be good can't wait to see it. And 5 years younger as well how much better will he be when he's 27 then 20 times better? Or is that hyperbole?
How the feck is that a fact? No, judging him over the season as a whole, he's been great. What don't you get? He was brilliant, got injured, and now he's back as of last week, he's slowly getting back to speed albeit looking a little rusty.

I find it funny how you're oh so willing to slate Jones and undermine his performances for United but are backing Evans, whose been crap for a long while now, to the hilt. You're hilarious!

And Jones isn't ten times the player Evans is because he's so good. It's because Jonny is so bad. He has no business playing for Manchesyer United anymore.

I have to admit I do agree with whichever poster mentioned that it's a bit bizarre how much stick Evans is getting, compared to Jones. Jones and Smalling both contrived to mess up for the goal, Jones was even worse in my opinion. It's a tactic that Stoke use, get Crouch on the first ball. It's up to the lads then to make sure they get the second ball, let's face it, with Crouch's height, he's most likely to win the first one, and Jones was absolutely terrible, just absymal, the way he let Shawcross go.

I did mention in the Jones thread that he's completely overrated. Someone there said they didn't think he was, then I see someone here calling him outstanding? Jones? Really? The same lad I see regularly being caught out of position, regularly having to make last ditch challenges, and regularly costing us goals with hairbrained mistakes?

Even still, I don't think we're scapegoating Evans at all. People can say "Oh I remember when he was our best defender." Yeah, he had decent patches. But as a whole, I really don't think he has been a good player for us. There's been more bad than good with him, and he only really looked comfortable with a confident, experienced, world class defender beside him, be it Rio or Vidic.

Someone here is making excuses for him about the formation. Well, in my opinion, that's another reason to get rid. If he can't adapt and can only play in a back 4, then get rid. I am loving what Louis is doing. He's making changes and trying things, he's giving the players some adaptability. We haven't had that in a long time. OK, the 3 at the back doesn't look great at the moment, yet we're still going on a good run with it.

In my opinion Evans just isn't good enough. This isn't scapegoating. This isn't knee jerk reaction to his appalling displays this season.

This is based on watching him every year for United. I've seen, as I said, a lot more bad than good.

I'll put it to you this way - how many of you aren't nervous when they're attacking, and they're attacking towards Evans? Because I bloody am. Every single time.

He's about as self assured as I would be if I was back there!

Did i say somewhere he wasn't mate?

Well yes, in the post I quoted you said Evans seems to be the only one vocal and organising things. Smalling is shouting at people and trying to get them to move too, so Evans cant be the only one

Injuries? Why is it then that everytime Smalling comes back from one he looks the best CB we have almost every time?
Evans doesnt have the balls to be a top CB. He is not strong enough physically and mentally I fear.

The excuses in this thread are hilarious. That mistake yesterday was unbelievable. You shouldnt give away those balls in Sunday league. But do those things happen once to him? No he has at least one big feck up in almost every game he plays for us.

He either grows a pair or fecks off it's that easy atm.

Never said he was Steve Bruce but he's was never held up to be anything other than what he is....a good squad player. Every team needs them but it's equally how they are used. Phil N, O'shea et al where the same. When they were over relied on, showed their failings. Once we sign a least one world class CB's, and all players are fit, Johnny will resume his position in the team.

Never said he was Steve Bruce but he's was never held up to be anything other than what he is....a good squad player. Every team needs them but it's equally how they are used. Phil N, O'shea et al where the same. When they were over relied on, showed their failings. Once we sign a least one world class CB's, and all players are fit, Johnny will resume his position in the team.

Fair enough. But even a squad player shouldn't give the ball aways as easily, especially as a CB, as he did against Diouf. Just baffled that some are so hurt about him getting the criticism he deserves after his last outings.

How the feck is that a fact? No, judging him over the season as a whole, he's been great. What don't you get? He was brilliant, got injured, and now he's back as of last week, he's slowly getting back to speed albeit looking a little rusty.

He hasn't been brilliant. Vidic in his prime was brilliant, Stam was brilliant Jones has never played that well, and definitely not this season. He was good got injured came back and has been alright to poor. Which is what i would expect from a player returning from a spell out and having to play in an unfamiliar system.

I find it funny how you're oh so willing to slate Jones and undermine his performances for United but are backing Evans, whose been crap for a long while now, to the hilt.

I'm not slating Jones i for the most part actually like Jones you won't find any posts from me bashing him on here, i'm just using him to highlight how two players like yesterday can have poor games yet draw very different reactions and levels of criticism.

No where have i said Evans is brilliant. No where have i said i would be sad if Van Gaal sold him this summer. This is more about the abuse one of our players is unfairly receiving in this thread than me caring about Evans.

Well yes, in the post I quoted you said Evans seems to be the only one vocal and organising things. Smalling is shouting at people and trying to get them to move too, so Evans cant be the only one

Well fair enough mate but i was generally speaking about this last run of games where Smalling hasn't featured.

No more than rest of them at the back Evans will be grand once LvG figures out that whatever system he is trying to implement or whatever way he wants them to operate won't work. I would have thought he would have it figured out by now going by the amount of individual and costly errors being made by them so far. As a unit or between them they can't even get the bread and butter stuff of defending right, none of them look like they know what they are supposed to be doing and that's contributing an awful lot to the mistakes.

I'm not sure he will to be honest. Phil Neville and O'Shea are good comparisons. Wes Brown too. When they got to the age where it was clear they would never become first team regulars they were moved on and replaced with younger players with more potential. United already have 3 of those. I would be amazed if Evans was still at the club next season.

I find it quite sad because he probably had the ability to make it but he hasn't improved the glaring weakness in his game. He had a huge opportunity this season and just hasn't taken it at all.

Corner to fight? Im not fighting Evans corner more pointing out that other players can play like shit and have similar poor performances and get off without much criticism but Evans has poor game and gets vilified on here.

Would it surprise you to know i have never really liked Evans that much or ever rated him particularly highly? And i have said as much in here a few times. Never thought he would be anything more than a decent/good squad player.

But this bandwagon circle jerk scapegoating of one of our own players and a product of our academy no less, is what i find distasteful.

We have different views on him. A decent good squad player is Brown or O'shea, players who should not be starting regularly but can come in on occasion and do a job when required. The problem is though, Evans role isn't that, he is a regular starter and the most experienced centre back that the youth are supposed to look up to, but he isn't even reaching the levels required of a squad player.

My anger towards him stems from his bad attitude. He isn't a natural leader so whenever he is shouting and pointing, he isn't being constructive, he overcompensates for this inability, it is just angry and irrational, part of the problem is his mentality. He doesn't appear to see mistakes in his own game, rather he looks to others to pass it to. Shouting at De Gea and Shaw displayed this.

So what he came from our academy? He has been given a long enough period to prove himself and by conducting himself in what appears to be an immature way, he has lost the free pass to hide behind the home grown tag. He is hardly a character that youngsters should look up to, he obviously doesn't spend enough time in the gym (he hasn't addressed his weakness), he clearly is mentally weak and as I said before he doesn't take ownership for his actions. Our young defenders should not be looking in his direction for a role model. They should be learning from much higher quality.

Jones and Smalling still have a lot to prove but at least they have the youth on their side. Evans now has the remaining league games to enjoy life at manchester united as he will be gone by end of the season.

No more than rest of them at the back Evans will be grand once LvG figures out that whatever system he is trying to implement or whatever way he wants them to operate won't work. I would have thought he would have it figured out by now going by the amount of individual and costly errors being made by them so far. As a unit or between them they can't even get the bread and butter stuff of defending right, none of them look like they know what they are supposed to be doing and that's contributing an awful lot to the mistakes.

Spot on.

The two central defenders who seem to be getting the least criticism are Rojo and Smalling. It's clearly not a coincidence that they also happen to be the only two who have had the opportunity to play in a familiar formation (familiar to them and everyone else in the team) In contrast, Jones and Smalling has exclusively played in a formation where nobody seems to have much of a clue what they're doing. Which is bound to unsettle individuals and lead to the type of mistakes we've seen from them so far this season.

Hopefully, Van Gaal will show a bit of faith in his fullbacks so we can drop this awful cocking formation and give the likes of Jones and Evans the same opportunities to shine that Smalling and Rojo have had. Meanwhile, the tedious scapegoating we've seen in this thread is going to crack on regardless.

We have different views on him. A decent good squad player is Brown or O'shea, players who should not be starting regularly but can come in on occasion and do a job when required. The problem is though, Evans role isn't that, he is a regular starter and the most experienced centre back that the youth are supposed to look up to, but he isn't even reaching the levels required of a squad player.

My anger towards him stems from his bad attitude.
He isn't a natural leader so whenever he is shouting and pointing, he isn't being constructive, he overcompensates for this inability, it is just angry and irrational, part of the problem is his mentality. He doesn't appear to see mistakes in his own game, rather he looks to others to pass it to. Shouting at De Gea and Shaw displayed this.

So what he came from our academy? He has been given a long enough period to prove himself and by conducting himself in what appears to be an immature way, he has lost the free pass to hide behind the home grown tag. He is hardly a character that youngsters should look up to, he obviously doesn't spend enough time in the gym (he hasn't addressed his weakness), he clearly is mentally weak and as I said before he doesn't take ownership for his actions. Our young defenders should not be looking in his direction for a role model. They should be learning from much higher quality.

Jones and Smalling still have a lot to prove but at least they have the youth on their side. Evans now has the remaining league games to enjoy life at manchester united as he will be gone by end of the season.

:lol: jesus wept...

I'm not sure he will to be honest. Phil Neville and O'Shea are good comparisons. Wes Brown too. When they got to the age where it was clear they would never become first team regulars they were moved on and replaced with younger players with more potential. United already have 3 of those. I would be amazed if Evans was still at the club next season.

I find it quite sad because he probably had the ability to make it but he hasn't improved the glaring weakness in his game. He had a huge opportunity this season and just hasn't taken it at all.

If O'Shea and Brown were here today there could be a good argument put forward for starting them so I hope we have better luck when or if we're going to replace Evans with a younger model that has potential.

My anger towards him stems from his bad attitude. He isn't a natural leader so whenever he is shouting and pointing, he isn't being constructive, he overcompensates for this inability, it is just angry and irrational, part of the problem is his mentality. He doesn't appear to see mistakes in his own game, rather he looks to others to pass it to. Shouting at De Gea and Shaw displayed this.

We have previously covered most of this mate, i don't agree some of your views and we have different opinions that's fair enough lets leave it at that.

On the bolded part Smalling is only a year younger than Evans, he is 26 this year. I personally hope he can get over his injury problems and fulfill his obvious potential.

Or in he not too distant future there may be a Smalling thread on here where people are ripping him to shreds after every little mistake.

If O'Shea and Brown were here today there could be a good argument put forward for starting them so I hope we have better luck when or if we're going to replace Evans with a younger model that has potential.

Are you being serious? Brown or O'Shea?! I'd love to hear that argument!

The point was that United will sign a first choice in the summer and already have younger and better defenders than Evans in Smalling, Rojo and Jones. Keeping Evans as a squad player is unlikely. This season is his opportunity to become first choice and he's not taking it.

Blackett and McNair have performed well in a back 3?

I must have missed that. I remember McNair getting subbed because he was so bad and being replaced by a midfielder in defence. And generally being poor except for his first few games in a back 4.

Blackett was alright in a few games at the start of the season hasn't had a look in since Evans has been fit.

Not even mentioning Jones has also looked poor in a back 3, which is more of a surprise when you think about it for a player who has played a lot at right back and in midfield unlike Evans.

They have all put in good performances and have looked comfortable in 3-5-2. Evans has had issues with it going back to preseason. Blackett and McNair have outperformed Evans this season. Jones had two MOTM performances in a back 3 early in the season before his injury. You're clutching at straws in your blind defense of Evans

Tbh his constant wave arming towards the ref when he is pushed off the ball again can be a bit annoying.
More of a bad habit than attitude though.

Usually, I would see that as a reflection of his attitude. When I combine his reaction to the tone of his post-match comments from yesterday, I have the feeling of living again what we have seen with Cleverley.

Spot on.

The two central defenders who seem to be getting the least criticism are Rojo and Smalling. It's clearly not a coincidence that they also happen to be the only two who have had the opportunity to play in a familiar formation (familiar to them and everyone else in the team) In contrast, Jones and Smalling has exclusively played in a formation where nobody seems to have much of a clue what they're doing. Which is bound to unsettle individuals and lead to the type of mistakes we've seen from them so far this season.

Hopefully, Van Gaal will show a bit of faith in his fullbacks so we can drop this awful cocking formation and give the likes of Jones and Evans the same opportunities to shine that Smalling and Rojo have had. Meanwhile, the tedious scapegoating we've seen in this thread is going to crack on regardless.

Sort of confusing post. Smalling is familiar with 3 at the back??

We have previously covered most of this mate, i don't agree some of your views and we have different opinions that's fair enough lets leave it at that.

On the bolded part Smalling is only a year younger than Evans, he is 26 this year. I personally hope he can get over his injury problems and fulfill his obvious potential.

Or in he not too distant future there may be a Smalling thread on here where people are ripping him to shreds after every little mistake.

Evans is 27 tomorrow, Smalling isnt 26 until the end of the year, there is 2 years between them bar 1 month. 2 years is a long time in football.

I have to admit I do agree with whichever poster mentioned that it's a bit bizarre how much stick Evans is getting, ...

We've let in 3 goals since Evans has taken up his 1st team CB position.
1 goal (penalty) - Phil Jones was directly/solely responsible.
1 goal (against Stoke) - Jones and Smalling were culpable.
The other goal - not sure, you have to remind me.

Evans is not the reason for our draws.
He may lack footballing intelligence, invention and attacking prowess, but that's what Blind is there for (once he returns). Evans can pass Blind the ball, all day long and Blind will spray the ball forward, in all directions.

I agree that for us to win the CL, we cannot rely on Evans, but Evans is not our weakest link at this point in time. Our defensive record is now one of the best in the league.

They have all put in good performances and have looked comfortable in 3-5-2. Evans has had issues with it going back to preseason. Blackett and McNair have outperformed Evans this season. Jones had two MOTM performances in a back 3 early in the season before his injury. You're clutching at straws in your blind defense of Evans

Name them. When have Smalling and Rojo put in a good performance and looked comfortable in a 3-5-2?

Evans is 27 tomorrow, Smalling isnt 26 until the end of the year, there is 2 years between them bar 1 month. 2 years is a long time in football.

I think you missed the point of my post mate, Smalling doesn't exactly have youth on his side. He's not a youngster he will be 26 this year.

I think you missed the point of my post mate, Smalling doesn't exactly have youth on his side. He's not a youngster he will be 26 this year.

But Smalling have been consistently good, he only struggle when he comes back from injuries or sometimes when he played right back.

@Pogue Mahone I couldn't remember one game where Rojo played in a back 3, so i cheated and looked he played against Southampton.

Was he good, i can't remember ?

They have all put in good performances and have looked comfortable in 3-5-2. Evans has had issues with it going back to preseason.

In what games did McNair look comfortable in a back 3? It certainly wasn't in any of our recent games.

Blackett and McNair have outperformed Evans this season.

Blackett looked alright early in the season but i would expect a left back by trade to be more comfortable in the left of 3 CB's. Certainly more comfortable than a right footed centre back.

If Blackett and McNair have outperformed Evans why aren't they in the team in place of him then when both are fit?

Jones had two MOTM performances in a back 3 early in the season before his injury.

Jones had some good games before his injury, but in our recent run he hasn't looked comfortable in a back 3 for me he was poor yesterday.

No i understood the point but Smalling at 25 still is in that development phase, where over the next 2 years, which will take him to the same age as evans, he should fufill his potential, if not then it will be time to look for an upgrade.

I think your just wording it to make it sound that their ages are closer than they actually are! 2 years is a long time of development in football dont forget!

Smalling has also played at right back more than centre back in his time at Old Trafford, which must been confusing. Evans hasnt been given this disadvantage.

As bad and all as Evans is supposed to be no one gave him a roasting like the one Burnely's Afrield gave Blackett this season. Blackett's performances taking all things into account have been nothing more than just alright.

If you're going to go down the road of ridiculing the shite of players or defenders for poor performances or making possible costly errors well then it might be no harm if you went full hog besides setting your sights on the one lad because that's all you and a fair few others are doing on this thread now.