Film John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

Cait Sith

Not seen any Jon Wick film. What kind of action films are they?
Former pro hitman who is over 9000 tiers above anyone else in the business wants to live in peace. Something terrible happens so he is back in the business to take revenge.

Sounds random but is extremely well made. Can't wait for part 3.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The John Wick movies remind me of those cool Jet Li flicks where he takes on dozens of guys. But those were better movies IMO. Less 'stylized' perhaps but certainly more gritty.

macheda14

Just a perfect action film. Leave all expectation of realism at the door, apart from odd specific details i.e. perfect number of bullets in a clip, guns jamming realistically etc. They hit all the beats you want from an action film. Fight scene in the rain, check. Nightclub shootout, check. Amazing car chases, check. Stylish filmography, check. etc etc

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Omd! Halle :drool::drool:

The John Wick movies remind me of those cool Jet Li flicks where he takes on dozens of guys. But those were better movies IMO. Less 'stylized' perhaps but certainly more gritty.
Yup. Or the Chow Yun Fat & John Woo movies
Half martial arts, half shootouts. One man vs all type of flick.
The best kind.

Last edited:

arthurka

I thought John Wick 2 was very underwhelming. Just silly action without any real tension. No heart, no character.
Me too.. the first was ace. Great editing and choreography for the fight scenes and a good build up. The second one was pretty lacking for me.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Enjoyed the first one, thought the second one was boring (just a series of action scenes, no heart or story). With Halle Berry on board I'll probably watch the third one.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You guys are the worst. You hope you John Wick comes for you :devil:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I thought John Wick 2 was very underwhelming. Just silly action without any real tension. No heart, no character.
I'm completely with you on this, the first was much better scripted and the storyline was good. I'd been looking forward to the 2nd but felt let down by it. Made little sense and the ending was just bollocks. No doubt though that it was a set up for the third film but overall very dissatisfying.

Of course I'll watch the third, even if Reeves is not the best actor as people claim I find myself enjoying most of his films at the time, I just don't think that most of them age well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It definitely had less heart as @VorZakone says, but IMO as a pure action movie it was superior to the first. Better fight scenes, really very stylish feel to everything with the locations etc, overall just a really easy and enjoyable watch which is all I'm asking for with an action flick.

The scenes where he fights his way out after he kills the female mafia boss is fantastic choreography.
I preferred the sequel because the enemy was a worthy advisory. The first movie just had a pussy bitch guy as the villain.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I preferred the sequel because the enemy was a worthy advisory. The first movie just had a pussy bitch guy as the villain.
The dude in the second one was a bit of a bitch too wasn't he? Had a lot of random henchmen doing their thing and that terrible female assassin but he himself wasn't all that. Got done in having his dinner.

The first villain was Theon but the real threat was his dad, who was more intimidating than the Italian bloke. I think the second was better because of more stylish locations mainly, the scenes in Italy were fab.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The dude in the second one was a bit of a bitch too wasn't he? Had a lot of random henchmen doing their thing and that terrible female assassin but he himself wasn't all that. Got done in having his dinner.

The first villain was Theon but the real threat was his dad, who was more intimidating than the Italian bloke. I think the second was better because of more stylish locations mainly, the scenes in Italy were fab.
Stylish locations sure. Having an extended period in Rome made it go that level up, however:

the Italian guy became the head of the high table the moment his sister at taken care of. That made him a more menacing villain purely because of resources at his disposal.

I think that's why John Wick killed him despite breaking rules because his potential power would have overruled even what Winston (the Hotel owner of all privialged neutral ground access) would have had. I think his god level status in the Mafia, albeit by default, is what made John Wick 2 better because the stakes were even higher. John felt he had no choice but to "finish it" as he said at the end of the film. Sadly that started the process of ex communicating him.

fecking love John Wick. Inject it into my veins.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
When I first watched these I got the same feeling that I had when watching the Bourne series for the first time. I was late to the party and had no expectations, and they were awesome.

This series is much more violent, and has a lot less depth with regards to the storyline in comparison to the Bournes though.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Stylish locations sure. Having an extended period in Rome made it go that level up, however:

the Italian guy became the head of the high table the moment his sister at taken care of. That made him a more menacing villain purely because of resources at his disposal.

I think that's why John Wick killed him despite breaking rules because his potential power would have overruled even what Winston (the Hotel owner of all privialged neutral ground access) would have had. I think his god level status in the Mafia, albeit by default, is what made John Wick 2 better because the stakes were even higher. John felt he had no choice but to "finish it" as he said at the end of the film. Sadly that started the process of ex communicating him.

fecking love John Wick. Inject it into my veins.
IIRC
Santino and his sister were just the bosses of a camorra clan. Nothing like the kind of power you describe. John killed him because Santino essentially said he could stay at the continental forever, meaning John would never have another chance to kill him, while Santino could still have his men and associates hunt him down. Theon's dad was a far tougher opponent individually, he actually gave John quite a fight, but overall his organization wasn't as powerful or dangerous as Santino's clan

Sylar

They are awesome and it needs about 10 different movies

So does Jason Bourne and so does mission impossible

Sgt.Major

The Matrix is an incredibly influential movie not only in film industry, one of the best ever, and John Wick is a funny trilogy. Neo over Wick any given day.

Sylar

First matrix neo
But john wick overall

If that makes sense. Which it probably doesn't

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
In terms of action films, these are the best Hollywood can offer and I love them. Not a patch on some Asian action movies but still really good.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The Matrix is an incredibly influential movie not only in film industry, one of the best ever, and John Wick is a funny trilogy. Neo over Wick any given day.
If Neo was John Wick the machines would have self-destructed the moment they heard "baba yaga". No trilogy necessary

lsd

The Oracle
When I first watched these I got the same feeling that I had when watching the Bourne series for the first time. I was late to the party and had no expectations, and they were awesome.

This series is much more violent, and has a lot less depth with regards to the storyline in comparison to the Bournes though.

Really ? I love the films but I see them more as taking the piss out of a lot of action films like the Bourne movies and Taken etc .

They are tongue in cheek I feel

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
IIRC
Santino and his sister were just the bosses of a camorra clan. Nothing like the kind of power you describe. John killed him because Santino essentially said he could stay at the continental forever, meaning John would never have another chance to kill him, while Santino could still have his men and associates hunt him down. Theon's dad was a far tougher opponent individually, he actually gave John quite a fight, but overall his organization wasn't as powerful or dangerous as Santino's clan
Yeah, the stand off between Wick and Santino was a survival thing in that John has no other choice but to do it then..for the reasons you said. But I understood it as Santinos reach was growing beyond his clan and it was reaching the whole of New York (which is why Morpheus bothered to help John Wick in the first place).

Also agree in combat Santinos was a pussy bitch. But his power and I guess the end predicament was what made the sequel better for me. That and the Rome bit.

Last edited:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I think these movies must have the highest head-shot counts in movie history!

I have no idea how many people he kills over the first two movies, but the percentage that he dispatches with headshots must be over 90%!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Really ? I love the films but I see them more as taking the piss out of a lot of action films like the Bourne movies and Taken etc .

They are tongue in cheek I feel
Pretty much everything Keanu Reeves has done since Matrix has been a somewhat tongue in cheek homage to eastern asian action movies

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Reading about Keanu he seems a very decent and humble guy.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Unrealistic one vs all sort of action, but the real attraction for me at least was how they built this underground mafia infrastructure that abide by certain golden rules.
I don't want to give too much away about the plot or direction, but its more than just a generic shoot em up film.
John Wick 2 was very different to John Wick 1 but both have got praise for different reasons. Hope John Wick 3 completes a solid trilogy.
Just a perfect action film. Leave all expectation of realism at the door, apart from odd specific details i.e. perfect number of bullets in a clip, guns jamming realistically etc. They hit all the beats you want from an action film. Fight scene in the rain, check. Nightclub shootout, check. Amazing car chases, check. Stylish filmography, check. etc etc
Yup. Or the Chow Yun Fat & John Woo movies The best kind.
Curious... what are your individual thoughts on Smokin Aces?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Curious... what are your individual thoughts on Smokin Aces?
First one is decent. The stars helped carry it and the action was ok. Taraji and Alicia helped elevate it :drool:

It's in my collection somewhere...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
One of the main reasons why I love John Wick is because I used to do Jiu-jitsu so I keep pretending that everything he does is something that I could technically do myself. Forget that I only did it for a year, though...and I was shite.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
One of the main reasons why I love John Wick is because I used to do Jiu-jitsu so I keep pretending that everything he does is something that I could technically do myself. Forget that I only did it for a year, though...and I was shite.
Most of his kills are with guns though ... any good with those?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
This started like a cool little revenge flick with some cool action. Now it's more fantastical and ridiculous with each sequel. It kept that cool action bit though.

Still like it.