Joe Rogan

The weirdest thing about Rogan is how he refers to himself as a comedian, going so far as to have his albums up with the all-time classics in a glass case at his comedy club.

He is absolutely woeful at comedy.

Again, does that make all of his being, everything he is saying dumb? No. As Eric pointed out, he knows his stuff but he used a blackjack metaphor which worked well. ‘Terrence, you keep hitting when you have 19’.

Terrence Howard knows his stuff how, exactly? Certainly he knows nothing about science or mathematics. He only knows enough to sound like he knows something to people who know nothing. It's all word salad nonsense.

Terrence Howard knows his stuff how, exactly? Certainly he knows nothing about science or mathematics. He only knows enough to sound like he knows something to people who know nothing. It's all word salad nonsense.
Ok chap, I’m my view, he was able to talk about some things to EW that displayed a level of understanding of mathematics above the average person. Einstein? No. Intelligent, sure.

The weirdest thing about Rogan is how he refers to himself as a comedian, going so far as to have his albums up with the all-time classics in a glass case at his comedy club.

Agreed.

I only know him through seeing him on UFC and the few podcasts I’ve watched, mainly folk like Sean Carrol, Eric Weinstein, Roger Pemrose etc. I have no real opinion of JR himself other than I wish I’d have thought of doing what he does. Whatever your thoughts on the dude, he’s been very successful

That's ok though, because every once in a while he says "don't listen to me, I'm an idiot" whilst clearly thinking the opposite.
And his guests are sometimes a bit interesting. And that matters. Because his podcast is the only podcast in existence with interesting guests.

Ok chap, I’m my view, he was able to talk about some things to EW that displayed a level of understanding of mathematics above the average person. Einstein? No. Intelligent, sure.

If he has above average mathematical understanding how the feck does he arrive at 1x1=2? Genuine question.

And his guests are sometimes a bit interesting. And that matters. Because his podcast is the only podcast in existence with interesting guests.

Top YouTube comment with 10k upvotes:

"This is what a healthy discussion looks like"

*Episode with mental right-winger invited to the podcast for the 7th time. 3 hour ramble. Joe agreeing with 99%*

Agreed.

I only know him through seeing him on UFC and the few podcasts I’ve watched, mainly folk like Sean Carrol, Eric Weinstein, Roger Pemrose etc. I have no real opinion of JR himself other than I wish I’d have thought of doing what he does. Whatever your thoughts on the dude, he’s been very successful

Yeah, despite what people say about him, he is a good conversationalist (with massive flaws). The first Terrence Howard episode was genuinely interesting because we got to see inside the mind of a very strange and eccentric personality who also happens to be one of the best actors working today.

I agree with you in that respect. People just saying it’s dumb are missing the point. I don’t watch his episodes to be educated, but it is interesting to see certain profiles reveal how they think, regardless of what your opinion of said person is.

I am a History graduate who studied way too much about the Nazis precisely for that reason. The glimpse inside the mind is fascinating.

That's ok though, because every once in a while he says "don't listen to me, I'm an idiot" whilst clearly thinking the opposite.
:lol:

His attempts at self-deprecation are so obviously fake, just an extremely flimsy alibi to say/agree with all the stupid shit he pleases.

Funnier than 1x1=2

He has been nominated for an Oscar, and performed music which has won an Oscar. He was fantastic in Empire and has numerous awards for his work. So it probably puts him in the top 0,000001% of top actors on the planet. Being gifted at an art form is interesting, whatever else you believe about him.

The follow up to Terrence Howard’s JR podcast for those that found enjoyment in the first. Can’t think of many people better than Eric Weinstein to come on and be the knowledge to counter Terrences acid trip philosophy. He handled it really well IMO.

Genuinely entertaining podcast, ramped up to almost surreal levels when the whiskey comes out.

Another grifter that's widely discredited within his study for wild theories himself and questionable methods.

It’s funny how the Joe Rogan subreddit is just about shitting on him now. Most posts are about how they used to be fans, but now it’s just repetitive UFC/stand-up comedy bullshit or right-wing nonsense.
There’s a few like that. The Ricky gervais subreddit is the same, and to be honest I’m here for it.

It was years before I realised that’s actually meant to be his day job. I thought it was something he just got into from doing his podcast or something, and he was an MMA fighter by trade or something. He is to stand up what Nick cage is to acting.

It was years before I realised that’s actually meant to be his day job. I thought it was something he just got into from doing his podcast or something, and he was an MMA fighter by trade or something. He is to stand up what Nick cage is to acting.

that's extremely harsh on cage!!!

It is what he refers to himself as. It’s like a surgeon who enjoys paint by numbers to relax in the evening telling everyone he is an artist and waxing lyrically about Monet and Van Gogh as his peers.

His mates make too much money from the association to ever tell him he’s not funny.

I'm no Terrence Howard level genius, I'm just a simple man who accepts the scientific method.

I don’t think anyone said he was a genius. In fact, he obviously has real issues. That’s what made it an interesting discussion.

You may not be a “genius” like Howard, but you are about as funny as Rogan ;)

It is what he refers to himself as. It’s like a surgeon who enjoys paint by numbers to relax in the evening telling everyone he is an artist and waxing lyrically about Monet and Van Gogh as his peers.

His mates make too much money from the association to ever tell him he’s not funny.
Yeah he’s firmly in there with that bill burr, Boston, opie and Anthony crowd. Definitely an odd one out though.

Funnier than 1x1=2
If 1x1=2, then... - had he argued this from a logical structural point, which moves into arbitrary state grammars, infinite and finite, he'd be doing something perfectly reasonable. Alerting people to the arbitrary nature of numbers except in the contextual usage wherein they become incredibly useful because they are highly precise (being an infinite state grammar, actually a series of such).

So, "if "X" is such that "1x1=2", then 1x2 =?" and you can proceed from there to make, what I think is the only point to be made, which isn't positivist (not that 1x1=2 but that it can if you wish to create a different arbitrary numerical state grammar).

Now that's just logical, linguistic, and mathematic orthodoxy. 1x1=2 is thrown out because there is none of that (I presume, I haven't read that thesis or anything) to qualify the statement. Which both compliments and challenges mathematics. Doesn't even really deviate from it.

I found that four hours really worth listening to. The mathematician didn't just shit on him and treated him exactly right, he had one or two ideas amidst a mass of what would be madness because it makes no sense (without qualification or proof), and the man gave him sage advice. Take that which might actually be proven, empirically, and even if wrong makes a contribution by default. Just that one idea. A better discourse than just treating non-academics in whatever field as "don't belongs".

dumb seems like quite an appropriate label someone who thinks 1x1=2 to be fair
Yep. No further inquest needed.
By the way, just because he is also insane does not mean he cannot be dumb. He is obviously a dumb person who is also insane. Since he is also famous, it apparently makes for good ratings.
Famous + dumb + insane = ratings gold.
Or is it Famous x dumb x insane? Doesn't make a difference.