Joao Neves | signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say, he's similar to a Xavi type i.e. high volume passer, always showing for the ball whereas Mainoo is more Inesta i.e able to jink past players and do the unexpected but still good in possession. Not a perfect comparison but still good I think. Where I'm going with this is that we'll need a "big" behind them that's decent on the ball but also physical and athletic enough. Don't ask me what we do with Bruno.

I'd say, he's similar to a Xavi type i.e. high volume passer, always showing for the ball whereas Mainoo is more Inesta i.e able to jink past players and do the unexpected but still good in possession. Not a perfect comparison but still good I think. Where I'm going with this is that we'll need a "big" behind them that's decent on the ball but also physical and athletic enough. Don't ask me what we do with Bruno.

This is how I see it. Get him in this summer, and hopefully have ourselves in a position where we can spend big on Wharton next summer if we don’t need much else (assuming he continues to improve next season).

Very frustrating knowing nothing can be properly negeotiated until after the Euros by which time he could have had a great tournament and interest from other clubs comes in + his price sky rockets.

Too early to say obviously but that would be something to see.

Well finally see a United side who’s core strength apart from Counter attack can be possession football.

This would be some signing “if” it happens

Very frustrating knowing nothing can be properly negeotiated until after the Euros by which time he could have had a great tournament and interest from other clubs comes in + his price sky rockets.
His price won't be impacted. He's a "release clause or nothing" player, so it's 120m or you don't get him.

Spoiler, we won't get him.

His price won't be impacted. He's a "release clause or nothing" player, so it's 120m or you don't get him.

Spoiler, we won't get him.

Didn't it already come down? It started at 120M and down to 90M or something from last rumors.

The more I see of him, the more I think he looks like a player Pep would have at City.

I'm not getting my hopes up only to see them swoop in and sign him. I still haven't properly gotten over Chelsea gazumping us for Essien all those years ago.

Regardless whether you think he can play in double pivot with Mainoo in 4231 or he can only play no 8 with Mainoo as no 8 in 433, investing money on him is still considered as investing in great future for the club and the long term objective.

I gets different vibes between him and Sancho. I feel like he’s not just talented but he also has top class professional attitude and character, which something Sancho lacks.

Yeah so wish we could agree a deal with his agent during euros, however bet he won't be open to that because will want competition for his client

I'd be happy for us to move away from the 4-2-3-1 with him in it and adopt the 4-3-1-2 ala Madrid.

Onana
Dalot - XXX - Martinez - Shaw
Neves - XXX - Mainoo
Bruno
Hojlund - Garnacho​
The no 8 in 433 is different to no 8 in diamond formation.

Mainoo isn’t mobile enough to play in the role of the no 8 in that diamond formation IMO. He’s more suited to no 6 or no 10 if we are switching diamond formation.

The amount of cover that mobile no 8 needs to do to help his full back and his midfield is a lot and I’m not sure Mainoo is the kind of player.

Reactions: Fortitude
I’ve seen him live twice but I’m 100% in..

Build with midfielders that can create space for themselves and others whilst also keeping a shape.

Frustrating we can't go all in for him due to the fact we have other issues in the first XI too

The fact that we have people who want to see him play in front of a DM, and others want to see him play at the base of midfield should tell us enough on how rounded he is.

I have been on this train for a while but every game I see, I become more impressed.

The only impact I can see the Euros having on his price would be the structure of his deal (if below the release clause), as you might have to make the incentives more achievable if he looks very good on an international stage, and his wages would be much higher too.

Rather than comparing him to Rodri, he’s more like Roy Keane than Rodri IMO. Rodri is less aggressive than Neves.

I'm actually not particularly advocating his signing, and was weighing in more on how to best use him in conjunction with Mainoo if he was in the squad. Both players invite questions and obviously Mainoo will be an integral part of what everyone is envisioning our future midfield to be - so unfortunately I don't think you are going to get unanimous calls for a particular player or exact type of player to line up alongside him.

Keeping it simple, buy a defensive midfielder. Kobbie is pure silk - compliment him with grit. Aggression, tenacity, physical power. And he's an 8, so pair him with a 6.

Yes, then I think we agree. Your last line there sums it up for me. Wonderful as Neves might well be, we simply aren't in a position to spend that kind of money on any player this summer, let alone one who isn't the obvious uncomplicated 'right answer' to play in the same XI as Mainoo and Bruno.

Yes, then I think we agree. Your last line there sums it up for me. Wonderful as Neves might well be, we simply aren't in a position to spend that kind of money on any player this summer, let alone one who isn't the obvious uncomplicated 'right answer' to play in the same XI as Mainoo and Bruno.
That's a short term look at building a team. We already know we're not going to be amazing next year. Just getting him improves us though compared to our midfield options this past season. So even in the short term it's an improvement. However, you don't always have to solve every issue United have in a transfer window. As long as you have a plan that we will solve that in the following transfer windows, it should be fine.

There are also times you have to just strike. Which players are available is all up in the air. Different clubs have different needs depending on the window. If Neves is available now, with not much competition to win him over, then the time to get is now. Because you don't know which top clubs will want him later on. Similarly, the right player you (not you specifically) want could not be available this season (Wharton), but might be available next year.

If we maximize our ceiling, the chances of winning the biggest trophies increase. Neves and Mainoo have the right mentality, great talent, and great profiles for a future midfield foundation when United should be hitting their peak window for trophy contention. And they're pretty good right now too.

We can spend that much so long as we're strict on balancing those types of signings with outgoings and incoming players. If there is a chance for Casemiro to leave, already that leaves you in great position. The combination of wages, and transfer fee from Saudi clubs gives us an out. Varane leaving frees up wages. Brandon Williams just left and he was getting paid a small amount compared to other top players, but too much for his contribution.

The balancing act can be done. I don't like thinking of it as impossible. The club management just has to be smart.

Last edited:
Have you actually watched Neves play?

I was trying to find player highlights for him from last night’s Ireland game because I always feel they’re a much more accurate representation of a player than the handpicked highlights packages.

There doesn’t seem to be one yet but I found this one from the Finland game last week (apologies if it has already been posted):

Very tidy player, press resistant with great touch and awareness. A much safer passer than I’d imagined him to be with the majority being bounce passes or backwards passes. A couple of nice switches peppered in there too.

I was watching a thing last night on best midfielders of the 90’s and it struck me who Neves reminds me of as well as Carrick and that’s Edgar Davids, Davids like Neves wasn’t the tallest but incredibly strong and a very good ball winner whilst also being a very good passer even if it did go unnoticed due to Davids playing with Zidane and Del Piero.

I don’t see any reason why Mainoo and Neves couldn’t play together with Fernandes ahead of them and there’s a lot of Seedorf in Mainoo, as pairings go Seedorf and Davids weren’t too bad were they ?

We're restricted once again by our inability to move players on, especially those on fat wages.
The management of our transfer outgoings has held us back on numerous occasions.

Much more combative against Sweden for those trying to ascertain his CDM credentials. Nice bit of tapping up by Bruno at the end:

He still looks raw getting disposessed a couple of times and losing a couple of battles but there’s definitely talent there.

Last edited:
The balancing act can be done. I don't like thinking of it as impossible. The club management just has to be smart.

It can be done but it's simply not necessary to take that risk when a more straightforward approach seeking to put square pegs into square holes is possible.

Every season there will be 'must get' players. We are never going to find ourselves in a position where we have £100m to spend and no 'generational, must-have' players to spend it on.

I am also not convinced by the 'buy this 19/20/21-year-old and their position is solved for the next ten years' mindset, enticing as it is. We hear it every summer, and sometimes we get that player. I think I have actually seen it work for us twice since I was a kid: Wayne Rooney, and David de Gea. That is not a good return on that approach to signings.

My other point still stands: whether it would be the right thing to do this or not, we simply can't afford him. He has a €120m (£101m) release clause. We don't have that much money to spend.

Much more combative against Sweden for those trying to ascertain his CDM credentials. Nice bit of tapping up by Bruno at the end:

He still looks raw getting disposed a couple of times and losing a couple of battles but there’s definitely talent there.

You can definitely see the pros and cons of Neves here. I think his height is still a big issue, as he goes for aerial duels but he doesn't win any because of his physique. On the other hand his football skills and determination is great. I think we should sign him if he doesn't cost more than 75m plus bonuses. He looks incredibly talented, but we gotta improve other areas, too.

Well got to see an entire game of his for the first time. Seemed a tad nervous at the start, but grew into the game and kept things ticking and simple.
Good work rate, decent technique, a couple of long passes from deep to show his range. All in all a strong performance for a promising 19y old.
Should improve with experience, but don't understand the 100mil valuation, and I am afraid it would weigh too much on him if he were signed for that amazing amount.
Same as Felix in that regard, basically.

I'm convinced that him and Mainoo would be able to play in a double pivot.

So am I, both players have been deployed as DM in games this season at their respective ages, both players have also played in the 8 this season.

So, when you have 2 players that can play that, they will mature and understand, one goes forward, one sits. This would make us unpredictable.

Also, we have seen us play a 3-1-6 this season, we can adapt that to a 3-2-5 which will help us defensively and both these can keep the ball better, so going forward we should be able to play better too.

Looks like a 60M player at best, and a risky one at that. Very raw and lost the ball in dangerous areas of the pitch. I didn't see the aura great midfielders have. Kobbie has shown flickers of it. Only 1 match though - I'd love to see more of him in the Euros.

I cannot see a midfield trio of Kobbie, Neves and Bruno working defensively, though.

Looks like a 60M player at best, and a risky one at that. Very raw and lost the ball in dangerous areas of the pitch. I didn't see the aura great midfielders have. Kobbie has shown flickers of it. Only 1 match though - I'd love to see more of him in the Euros.

I cannot see a midfield trio of Kobbie, Neves and Bruno working defensively, though.

Hes better than Mainoo at the moment especially defensively too

I would say aura is something he definitely has.

Status
Not open for further replies.