Jean-Clair Todibo | signs for West Ham on loan with option to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean after the decision it was clear that he's not coming to us. Feel sorry for him, but we couldn't do anything.
This also led to us pushing for Yoro and de Ligt. I wish him the best.

Really frustrating we've missed out on him.

Doubly frustrating - and ironic - that Nice then sell him to the PL team who finished one place below Man United in the league! So much for our influence and conflict of interest. Now he's strengthened a direct PL rival instead. Very good signing for them.

Really frustrating we've missed out on him.

Doubly frustrating - and ironic - that Nice then sell him to the PL team who finished one place below Man United in the league! So much for our influence and conflict of interest. Now he's strengthened a direct PL rival instead. Very good signing for them.
The conflict of interest should only exist if we were unwilling to make a similar offer to other clubs that finalise a deal.

Anyone seriously suggesting we’d have done a loan with option to buy would be laughing here so how West Ham get away with it I don’t know?

That West Ham ITK who's good for their stuff says it's not happening as he wants CL football

Genius from INEOS. Get him PL experience for a season. He then refuses a permanent transfer to West Ham and we swoop in and sign him next summer.

With option to buy means West Ham can convert it to permanent transfer at the end of next season. The fees are also agreed 27M.

Westham can come for Maguire/Lindelof, we would give them a good deal.

I know I'm putting 2 and 2 together and getting 10 here, but I actually thought this deal might have been, spend a year at West Ham with the agreement of buying him next year, with a bit of profit on top, and we'd also be somewhat kinder on the Wan Bissaka fee.

Obviously not as he doesn't want to go there, so nevermind

Goddamit. How do city get away with it?
I am curious how they arranged the Savio deal. Did they foresee the possibility that they would both end up in the CL and start arrangements for the deal ahead of time? When you end up in the same competition you are allowed to finish up deals you have already started between clubs, right?

I am curious how they arranged the Savio deal. Did they foresee the possibility that they would both end up in the CL and start arrangements for the deal ahead of time? When you end up in the same competition you are allowed to finish up deals you have already started between clubs, right?

Savio was bought from Troyes, who will not be in any danger of landing a CL spot. He was on loan at Girona.

Savio was bought from Troyes, who will not be in any danger of landing a CL spot. He was on loan at Girona.
Ahhhh ty.

That is a very interesting use of the multi club model… Did they use a loan to an affiliate club to test a player, then buy him?

Hope he goes to Juventus. Would mean the least danger towards us from all the interested teams, and for the player it's a good move too. Motta is one of, if not the best managers at setting up a defence, and presumably developing and working with talented defenders as well.

He would've been a good player for us, but not someone like Yoro who has best in their generation level talent. I think there are a lot of good defenders out there as good or better than Todibo, so not really fussed about missing out on him.

I guess the INEOS equivalent would be for Lausanne to buy Todibo, immediately loan him back to Nice (probably never setting foot in Lausanne) and then Utd swoop in a year later and buy him from Lausanne. Quite clever if not a bit stinky as usual from City.

I know I'm putting 2 and 2 together and getting 10 here, but I actually thought this deal might have been, spend a year at West Ham with the agreement of buying him next year, with a bit of profit on top, and we'd also be somewhat kinder on the Wan Bissaka fee.

Obviously not as he doesn't want to go there, so nevermind
It’s West Ham, they’re not going to help us.

If we do get both Yoro and De Ligt then him not being able to sign could have been a blessing in disguise.
Of course he could hit the ground running and take the league by storm, but you would think more clubs would be chasing him if they saw that in him.

I guess the INEOS equivalent would be for Lausanne to buy Todibo, immediately loan him back to Nice (probably never setting foot in Lausanne) and then Utd swoop in a year later and buy him from Lausanne. Quite clever if not a bit stinky as usual from City.
It’s not even clever, it’s a blatant skirting of the rules and if UEFA wants to punish them, it won’t even be hard to prove.

Should put a Manchester United clause in. Sell him a bit cheaper, with a set fee if United come calling.

I recon the rumours linking him with Newcastle are utter nonsence, why would INEOS sell him to them when they are our rivals for league positions.

Someone explain to me why City can buy a player from one of the other clubs they own, but we can't buy Tobido...

Someone explain to me why City can buy a player from one of the other clubs they own, but we can't buy Tobido...

They circumvented the issue by placing him in Troyes, which isn't in any of the same competitions as Manchester City. He was only loaned from Troyes to Girona, so technically City is buying him from Troyes. All of the mentioned clubs are owned by the City group. They simply planned it out better and abused a loophole.

Is there anything to read into the fact that the West Ham deal is a loan with option to buy rather than a straight sale? What’s the benefit to Nice of a loan? Is it at all possible that INEOS are keeping their options open for a transfer to United and that there is a loophole to make this possible?

The ruling that prevents us from doing business with Nice until (I think) Sept 2025 is for both clubs to play in the same UEFA competition, I believe. If we make the Champions League and Nice don’t, can we do business next summer?

And by agreeing a fee with West Ham could they argue that this constitutes a fair price for him to transfer between two related parties?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.