Jean-Clair Todibo | signs for West Ham on loan with option to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect replacement for Varane. Him and Martinez would be a great partnership. Hope we get this done. Still think we need another centre back this window for competition

All quiet on this front? Surely we can spend 25m on him and get rid of Lindelof/Maguire. I mean even WE couldn't feck this up right? They've got the same owner as us ffs.

With him and Branthwaite/Yoro that would transform our backline into something far more respectable.

We could get Todibo and Khephren Thuram for the price of Branthwaite.

All quiet on this front? Surely we can spend 25m on him and get rid of Lindelof/Maguire. I mean even WE couldn't feck this up right? They've got the same owner as us ffs.

With him and Branthwaite/Yoro that would transform our backline into something far more respectable.

Probably United will want to try and fight for Yoro's signature, and if that doesn't work we'll go for Todibo.

Seems far too quiet for a deal to be done here.

Wondering whether the rumour of transfers not being able to be made between clubs with the same owners, could be true.

………..Wondering whether the rumour of transfers not being able to be made between clubs with the same owners, could be true.

I thought the ruling only involved loaning players from associated ownership clubs.
It stops a PL club getting around FFP by signing a player to a sister club and loaning them to the PL club at a “modest” cost.
Transfers should be OK, I would have thought, provided the transfer fee was realistic and not 10p and a can of Coke.

I think he is not much of a step down from Braithwaite. Think it would be a good message to send to Everton and all other clubs if we don't get held to ransom and by this fella instead for a lot less.

I think this the only way he comes, as he's got to be first choice coming here.
Personally I don’t see him as a first choice player alongside Martinez unless he plays 3 at the back with a more aerially dominant player in the middle

Most our problems are caused by being unable to move on our players. Nobody wants to buy Maguire and Lindelof and they're not in a hurry to give up their big wages.

Personally I don’t see him as a first choice player alongside Martinez unless he plays 3 at the back with a more aerially dominant player in the middle
I think that's why he's down the list though. I think we'd sooner see Branthwaite or De Ligt.

I think he should be signed considering his age and profile for what I believe we need at the back. Todibo is better than all our CBs on the ball with the exception of Martinez. And from what I've seen from Todibo in Ligue 1 he's better than Branthwaite on the ball. Branthwaite like Varane is comfortable on either foot but not very good when the opponent closes off the space. Maguire has the same issue or otherwise he's good on the ball if the opposition afford him time and space.

Mourinho once said that even he himself is a great passer of the ball if afforded time and space but his passing is mediocre if he's pressured into making quicker actions. And that's the difference between a good passer of the ball and a basic player who will keep it safe. There isn't anything wrong with keeping it safe as long as the player then provides a strong out of possession game to compliment the players who will shoulder the creative burden in possession from CB and in the deeper midfield area of the pitch, against teams who are adept at forcing errors via a well coordinated press. So Branthwaite is someone that would be potentially good at that role due to his physicality, pace and height.

The potential Todibo signing for me looks like a straight forward deal due to him being at OGC Nice. He ticks the boxes both in possession and when it comes to controlling or containing space in 1v1s. And from what I've seen over the years, Man Utd haven't been failing due to a lack of aerial ability but rather our inability to control larger spaces out of possession on the ground has further weakened us on the ball. Hence we couldn't sustain attacks and the technically capable players, like Pogba were exposed out of possession. We've had several players post Fergie who are deemed to be aerially strong but all of those players have either been moved on or are currently seen as squad players.

I would prefer Yoro or Diomande over Todibo but i'm not sure if either deal is possible hence a double deal for Branthwaite along with Todibo looks to have a lot of potential imo. And the most important quality for any team aspiring to play a more dominant brand of football is having a high technical floor as a collective. Then the pace, physicality and athleticism should follow to round things off and compliment the technical ability in the team, in-possession.

The piece below on Todibo perfectly illustrates the potential up-side of signing him due to his capabilities in possession. And parts of the article are quoted below. Todibo is also someone that can be utilised as the RB inverting in-field to form a back 3, which for me is something that adds even more stability and control.

In-possession stats below.
  • Touches (94.35) – 96th percentile
  • Carries (76.28) – 98th percentile
  • Progressive Carrying Distance (217.62) – 97th percentile
  • Passes Completed (75.64) – 94th percentile
Out of possession defensive stats below where he wins duels defending on the front foot.

●Tackles in the attacking third (0.20) – 96th percentile

●Dribblers challenged (1.90) – 89th percentile

●Ball recoveries (7.20) – 97th percentile

https://www.attackingfootball.com/jean-clair-todibo-sign-manchester-united/

Based on literally about a 3 min highlight video of Todibo, Nice's DM, Ndayishimiye caught my eye. Looks like he could be a decent player. @JPRouve any thoughts?

I think he should be signed considering his age and profile for what I believe we need at the back. Todibo is better than all our CBs on the ball with the exception of Martinez. And from what I've seen from Todibo in Ligue 1 he's better than Branthwaite on the ball. Branthwaite like Varane is comfortable on either foot but not very good when the opponent closes off the space. Maguire has the same issue or otherwise he's good on the ball if the opposition afford him time and space.

Mourinho once said that even he himself is a great passer of the ball if afforded time and space but his passing is mediocre if he's pressured into making quicker actions. And that's the difference between a good passer of the ball and a basic player who will keep it safe. There isn't anything wrong with keeping it safe as long as the player then provides a strong out of possession game to compliment the players who will shoulder the creative burden in possession from CB and in the deeper midfield area of the pitch, against teams who are adept at forcing errors via a well coordinated press. So Branthwaite is someone that would be potentially good at that role due to his physicality, pace and height.

The potential Todibo signing for me looks like a straight forward deal due to him being at OGC Nice. He ticks the boxes both in possession and when it comes to controlling or containing space in 1v1s. And from what I've seen over the years, Man Utd haven't been failing due to a lack of aerial ability but rather our inability to control larger spaces out of possession on the ground has further weakened us on the ball. Hence we couldn't sustain attacks and the technically capable players, like Pogba were exposed out of possession. We've had several players post Fergie who are deemed to be aerially strong but all of those players have either been moved on or are currently seen as squad players.

I would prefer Yoro or Diomande over Todibo but i'm not sure if either deal is possible hence a double deal for Branthwaite along with Todibo looks to have a lot of potential imo. And the most important quality for any team aspiring to play a more dominant brand of football is having a high technical floor as a collective. Then the pace, physicality and athleticism should follow to round things off and compliment the technical ability in the team, in-possession.

The piece below on Todibo perfectly illustrates the potential up-side of signing him due to his capabilities in possession. And parts of the article are quoted below. Todibo is also someone that can be utilised as the RB inverting in-field to form a back 3, which for me is something that adds even more stability and control.

Out of possession defensive stats below where he wins duels defending on the front foot.

Pretty sure Mourinho made that comment in some reference to Rooney playing in midfield for us. Those were some fecking dark times.

Also yes that's why Lindelof will always been a 'bad' or basic passer for me. Too many are fooled by how easy on the eye he can look, when his actual output and attempts in any given scenario, to be progressive are pitiful.

Todibo's carries stats and carrying distance seem pretty elite. With his frame, stride and technique, he could easily break many a press or go through lines if the opposition leaves us the space, which of course would open up the pitch massively for us. Please make this happen INEOS if we're not getting Yoro or the like.

I don’t see the top top end potential in Todibo in the 8-9 games I have watched him play. I think he could look good in the right system. So it really depends on how the manager plans to utilize him.

I would not be opposed to see him and another defender coming in to fight for that spot. Whilst he might not be world class, his ability on the ball would help us if Martinez was to pick up an injury.

For 30-35 million, he would be a good pick up alongside Branthwaite or Yoro (unlikely).

People really underestimate him because of his lack of aerial power but what he would bring in terms of on the ball qualities and build up play is a huge upgrade on our current set up. Even Varane has been mediocre in that aspect and when Licha got injured we really struggled at playing from the back. I would try to convince Yoro first, but then I would take Todibo over Branthwaite any day.

People really underestimate him because of his lack of aerial power but what he would bring in terms of on the ball qualities and build up play is a huge upgrade on our current set up. Even Varane has been mediocre in that aspect and when Licha got injured we really struggled at playing from the back. I would try to convince Yoro first, but then I would take Todibo over Branthwaite any day.
But don't we need a partner for Martinez? Don't know if a CB partnership of a midget and areal weakish defender would be a good fit for the Premier league.

But don't we need a partner for Martinez? Don't know if a CB partnership of a midget and areal weakish defender would be a good fit for the Premier league.

You can't fill the team with Maguires because it's the premier league. And Martinez is not bad in the air.

People really underestimate him because of his lack of aerial power but what he would bring in terms of on the ball qualities and build up play is a huge upgrade on our current set up.
Is that true or based purely on his stats on fbref?

Still think he's the best option if we only buy one. Good enough to start for us. Right-sided preference so can play next to Martinez. Exceptional value for money.

Is that true or based purely on his stats on fbref?
So far, I haven't seen him struggling aerially so much, but to be fair I haven't watched that many Nice games to be 100% sure. I was talking about the perception of people based on the stats. I think we can say it's not his stengths. He is the exact opposite player of Maguire. I get the dream of having a perfect CB like Saliba but reality is that those players are rare. We also can't argue with "he doesn't suit Martinez" because firstly having two CBs with on the ball qualities would transform us even further and secondly we gotta be ready in case Martinez gets injured again.

I’ve likened him to J Timber, is that correct? I’d assume that he could play either RB or RCB in the same way

You can't fill the team with Maguires because it's the premier league. And Martinez is not bad in the air.
Jeez, a team of Maguires! Martinez is good in the air, but there a situations where you can't compensate the lack of 15cm. If you don't believe me, ask your mother.

It's not that important to have a couple of big lumps at the back, when your CBs are good defenders otherwise, technically gifted, press-resistent and can play a high line. But what makes me worry about aerial ability is the fact, that even a Pep Guardiola seemingly has altered his approach a bit in the PL. It seems to be a factor you cant ignore completely in English football.

I'm not against the signing of Tobido, if we still have someone in the squad who is really good in the air, to compete with Tobido/Martinez. Maybe Branthwaite is that guy, and maybe that's our plan.

Given the obvious connections with INEOS this transfer can be placed on the back-up list. If other deals are not successful then United could realistically complete the deal very quickly later in the window.

I’ve likened him to J Timber, is that correct? I’d assume that he could play either RB or RCB in the same way
On the ball there is some similarities but Timber was showing an even bigger level on the ball prior to suffering a bad injury imo. I think Timber's ability to evade the press was at a very high level and he backed that up with his speed out of possession. When you have players who are super composed on the ball even against the most aggressive press, they can make a mockery out of the opponent's high pressing tactics by evading one or two opposing players to follow it up with a simple pass to a player who is then receiving the ball with time and space.

I think the big difference between both players is their height difference. Todibo is 6'3 in height and even though there's question marks surrounding his aerial ability, I believe a player of his height can improve in that regard because he's aggressive on the ground. And for me the way forward is to play a back 4 with the two wide players having a strong out of possession game with the ability to drift inside and receive on the turn. Todibo is definitely someone who can play the hybrid role as the RB/RCB. So a player like him potentially provides a lot of solutions in several positions. I think we need to sign two CBs and Todibo is someone who will have the hunger to prove himself after his disappointing spell at Barca as a teenager where he went on record and admitted he was immature as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.