Jarrad Branthwaite

DCL had a few good games under Dyche but I doubt anyone is giving you any more than 15m for him with his injury record and years long prior record of being shite.

He wasn't and has never been shite. He has and was a young player growing into a role as a ST and had a trajectory of year by year improving his game and goals prior to injury. He has been good this season and has also had a full season with relatively little to no fitness concerns. Rumours are that Newcastle are interested if Isak goes (Wilson already looks like he's on his way out) and we can get between 20-30m for DCL if so. I think he's our most important player in this Dyche squad aside from Pickford. We can replace a Branthwaite or Onana, we would find it incredibly hard to replace what DCL does and is as a forward for our style.

He wasn't and has never been shite. He has and was a young player growing into a role as a ST and had a trajectory of year by year improving his game and goals prior to injury. He has been good this season and has also had a full season with relatively little to no fitness concerns. Rumours are that Newcastle are interested if Isak goes (Wilson already looks like he's on his way out) and we can get between 20-30m for DCL if so. I think he's our most important player in this Dyche squad aside from Pickford. We can replace a Branthwaite or Onana, we would find it incredibly hard to replace what DCL does and is as a forward for our style.
He was kind of shite under Lampard but if you say that's because of injury that's fair enough. I would be very surprised if someone came in for him with his injury record but he is English so maybe his value will go up on the home grown thing and if someone judges it that the injuries are behind him. I don't think he's shit btw, just he had periods of being shit, he was brilliant under Ancelotti.

I have nothing substantial to add to this but I do happen to work with a lady who is friendly with his mum in Wigton, Cumbria. By all accounts they're a down to earth family.

Yes, I was going to start an early thread for us tbh because we will have a very intriguing summer because there's a lot of players out of contract this and next summer and some assets like Onana/Pickford/Branthwaite that we can end up selling. I think that Onana is guaranteed to be sold and then if we end up selling someone like DCL then there is a slim chance we keep Branthwaite unless someone does bid silly money in that 75-80m range.
Who on earth is going to want to buy Calvert-Lewin?! He's made of weetabix.

I haven't seen enough of him to have much of an opinion on him signing but I would be wary of the massive cost associated.

Who on earth is going to want to buy Calvert-Lewin?! He's made of weetabix.

He's only missed 7 games this season. One due to illness and three due to a broken cheekbone which was a freak incident. So only three games missed due to fitness concerns. His fitness has been good this season.

Didn't get the reports linking him to us before and I still don't.

Martinez, if fit, starts every game as our left sided centre back. This means, if we do buy a left footed centre back, then it should be a back up - similar to what Arteta did when he bought Kiwior, who now also plays at left back. Same with Gvardiol at City.

We could do the same, as in sign a left footed player who can play both as a centre back and left back, but I personally don't think Branthwaite fits that profile.

If we were going to go down that route; however, then I'd target Hato or Murillo.

Dalot/Wan-Bissaka - New CB/Lindelof - Martinez/New & LB - Shaw/New CB & LB

He's only missed 7 games this season. One due to illness and three due to a broken cheekbone which was a freak incident. So only three games missed due to fitness concerns. His fitness has been good this season.
Ah, it must've been the previous season where he kept on picking up hamstring injuries. I still think it's a risk for any club to sign a player after 1 injury-free season out of the last 4. Reckon he'll be similar to Martial where you'll have to wait until his contract runs out for you to get his wages off your books.

How much did we spend on Ferdinand taking into account inflation?

This is exactly the type of signing united would make back under fergie

Bit of disservice to the level of Ferdinand when we got him.

I would also argue we were in a position of strength then, Fergie added 1-2 to supplement a very strong core. We are not far off starting from scratch here, we need to spend wisely.

Martinez, if fit, starts every game as our left sided centre back. This means, if we do buy a left footed centre back, then it should be a back up - similar to what Arteta did when he bought Kiwior, who now also plays at left back. Same with Gvardiol at City.

We could do the same, as in sign a left footed player who can play both as a centre back and left back, but I personally don't think Branthwaite fits that profile.

If we were going to go down that route; however, then I'd target Hato or Murillo.

He's actually one of the most ambipedal players in the league, with a lot of coaches debating whether he's better with his left or right foot, though you're right that he is more often utilised as that LCB. He's capable of playing both RCB or LCB though and I guess there is the worry looming over Martinez and injuries. I think he could play that Gvardiol role at City with Pep tutelage but with rumours of Pep going I think his career is firmly as a CB.

Ah, it must've been the previous season where he kept on picking up hamstring injuries. I still think it's a risk for any club to sign a player after 1 injury-free season out of the last 4. Reckon he'll be similar to Martial where you'll have to wait until his contract runs out for you to get his wages off your books.

That's why we are debating selling him this summer. He only has one year left so if a club offers a decent fee (Potentially Newcastle as they've been interested for a while) then he may go if he doesn't sign a new deal.

You realise a lot of teams play with two right footed centre backs?

I think we'd be fine with two left footed centre backs.

He's a good talent, but very overrated here. There are CBs that are similarly good or better and available for a cheaper price in other leagues. If we make a big money CB signing it should be a talent with world class potential, like Yoro.

edit: that being said, I agree with the others that for 40m max. he would be a good transfer.

Last edited:

His goalscoring less so.

The Maguire comparisons are so lazy.
He's English! Couldn't be more similar!

He has potential, is very rash from what I have seen but that can be curbed/controlled. Realistic fee we should be ok with is about £40m with some heavy add ons (apps, comp wins, england selection etc.) because the reality is it is a bit of a gamble.

I'd push 40m at an absolute max. Everton need to sell and he's not worth a penny more objectively.

His goalscoring less so.

It's been alright, his xG has been quite high and I put a lot of his performance in relation to that down to rustiness. After all this is the first season in 3 years where he's had relatively no fitness issues and consistency is key for players. I think he can get about 10-15 in this side over a season so he's a bit off that but it's not a creative squad at all and his role in the side is far more about his outlet to the side aside from the goals. Dyche is all about percentage football. Doesn't care about winning a shit 1-0 game if it gets you 3 points. He's more than capable of getting 10+ goals for a PL side which is fine.

It's been alright, his xG has been quite high and I put a lot of his performance in relation to that down to rustiness. After all this is the first season in 3 years where he's had relatively no fitness issues and consistency is key for players. I think he can get about 10-15 in this side over a season so he's a bit off that but it's not a creative squad at all and his role in the side is far more about his outlet to the side aside from the goals. Dyche is all about percentage football. Doesn't care about winning a shit 1-0 game if it gets you 3 points. He's more than capable of getting 10+ goals for a PL side which is fine.

What did he finish with? 7 or 8 goals in 40 appearances?

I can’t see there being a long queue of suitors.

What did he finish with? 7 or 8 goals in 40 appearances?

I can’t see there being a long queue of suitors.
7. As said above Newcastle are apparently interested. Anyway, it's off topic but the main gist is that Branthwaite, Onana, Pickford and to lesser extents DCL etc. are all on the table for movement this summer.

He’s absolutely class imo. Sadly you sometimes have to pay the money and take the risk. You potentially have a guy that is ready right now and has potential to become even better and spend the next decade at the club. It doesn’t always work out but sometimes you have to take the risk.

You realise a lot of teams play with two right footed centre backs?

I think we'd be fine with two left footed centre backs.

I do, but ten Hag has made it clear that he like to have a right and left footed player at the back to increase passing angles. Actually, if you look at a lot of teams, they try and maintain that balance with a left and right footed centre back:

Saliba + Gabriel
Dias + Ake
Silva + Badiashile
Carlos + Pau Torres
Romero + van de Ven

I can keep going but I'm sure you get my point. As you said, it's not imperative, but I'm pretty sure ten Hag will want to stick to this.

Him being left footed is the biggest issue.
Only if we had a Dutch manager recruiting, now it's Ineos. I'd say it's a very slight disadvantage but if they're good enough it shouldn't a huge issue. Given how we play, I think he might be expected to play a simple game in possession anyway - we'd have Martinez and hopefully a new DM being much more pivotal to build up.

Most important aspect of this potential move is, does braithwaite's strengths cover for Martinez weaknesses and vice versa.

It's been a long time since we have a reliable (varane injury prone) CB pairing that we can depend on.

Is it possible for you to advance Martinez to play as a DM and have Branthwaite as a LCB?

He's actually one of the most ambipedal players in the league, with a lot of coaches debating whether he's better with his left or right foot, though you're right that he is more often utilised as that LCB. He's capable of playing both RCB or LCB though and I guess there is the worry looming over Martinez and injuries. I think he could play that Gvardiol role at City with Pep tutelage but with rumours of Pep going I think his career is firmly as a CB.

That's why we are debating selling him this summer. He only has one year left so if a club offers a decent fee (Potentially Newcastle as they've been interested for a while) then he may go if he doesn't sign a new deal.
How would you rate him?
And his ceiling, strengths, weakness etc etc

Signing Branthwaite and Olise would be like signing Maguire & Wan Bissaka all over again. Stupid expensive mistakes that were too obvious & shouldn't have happened.

Big money for players who are big fishes in a small pond and don't have a business being in big clubs. Would they attract attention from other top clubs? No. Hope INEOS don't make the same mistake we did 5 years ago. We should steer clear.

According to Sky, they are saying Everton will want at least £60m for him to balance the books for PSP.
Can't say I know much about him, but £60m is a lot of money for a fairly untested CB, the question has to be is he good enough to replace a fit Varanne?

Is it possible for you to advance Martinez to play as a DM and have Branthwaite as a LCB?
I did consider it a possibility when we first signed him but apparatus he hasn’t ever played there and ten hag has shown zero inclinations do try it out so probably not.

Signing Branthwaite and Olise would be like signing Maguire & Wan Bissaka all over again. Stupid expensive mistakes that were too obvious & shouldn't have happened.

Big money for players who are big fishes in a small pond and don't have a business being in big clubs. Would they attract attention from other top clubs? No. Hope INEOS don't make the same mistake we did 5 years ago. We should steer clear.
Not read the news about INEOS targeting young players with PL experience and players in the final year of their contracts?

Olisse and Branthwaite would be good signings.

Yes? Both will end up playing for top PL clubs sooner rather than later.

No. The only way is to put Martinez as an inverted left back, where we build up in a 3+2

Dalot New RCB Branthwaite
New CDM - Martinez

I much prefer Martinez as a centre back though. He's crucial to us being able to play out from the back.

We need young, hungry players that can play for us for 6-7 years minimum.

I'd take Olise and Branthwaite as part of that makeup honestly.

We need a CDM a RB and Striker cover too though.