Jamal Musiala

In the first game, he actually used his dribblings very purposefully and I thought 'wow, he has really matured' but the last two were poor again. Maybe it had to do with the Scots being the worst opponent but he has it in him. He's still very young but right now I'm not sure that he knows he has to improve in that regard since the public, media and seemingly also the coaching staff are praising him at any occasion. Everybody just seems to ignore how wasteful he was because he scored a goal. The kicker gave only Rüdiger a better rating than Musiala for that game while claiming Wirtz who was centrimetres away from collecting two scorers in 10 minutes of playing time, won all his dribblings and didn't misplace a pass showed an "unlucky performance" that was summed up very well by his goal being offside. It reminds me a bit of the Bellingham hype. And that's Wirtz who is actually a bit of a media darling as well. If Sané had given in a performance like this, you wouldn't hear the end of it.

Even as a Bayern fan - I am really with you. He had a time when he really tried to "learn" to go easy - but with all the hype about his dribblings he does not even try to. He stagnates since November 2022.

Even as a Bayern fan - I am really with you. He had a time when he really tried to "learn" to go easy - but with all the hype about his dribblings he does not even try to. He stagnates since November 2022.

I mean, he's still super young and I'm optimistic he'll eventually make that step. Right now, the DFB, the media, the politics, everybody actually is happy that a positive attitude towards the national team has been reinstalled just in time for this mega event, which is great, but I feel it also lead to a climate in which everybody is very cautious to say anything even remotely negative in order not to kill the vibe. But at some point, he'll receive criticism for such performances and I have the feeling that Kompany as a Pep disciple will also try to coach that out of him. After all, Guardiola dislikes nothing more tha improvisation in the build up or turnovers that lead to counters. And a Musiala who gets that right will be a truly frightening player.

He's trying too hard and dribbling into blind alleys.

Needs to relax, take a step back and just play his natural instinct.

I don’t think he’s as good as some think. I don’t rate him that highly.
Yeah, he's definitely good enough to be a mainstay for any top team in Europe but not good of to be the main star of the show.

Aesthetics guy. Take away the takeons and dribbles and the fundamentals to his game are good but they don’t seem that good.

I remember seeing Wenger, Capello and some other legendary managers on stage at an event once. They were asked what the hardest thing to deal with as a coach is and they all agreed that it's when you have a player who thinks he is better than he actually is.

It's very hard to deal with because they constantly lose the ball, dribble down blind alleys etc and don't see the problem with that. You need to deflate their ego a bit without ruining their confidence, it's a tricky balance.

Thought he was great today and a real threat whenever he had the ball. I think he got tired towards the end and made a couple of bad plays but overall I thought he was always capable of making things happen.

Thought he was great today and a real threat whenever he had the ball. I think he got tired towards the end and made a couple of bad plays but overall I thought he was always capable of making things happen.

He was pretty anonymous for the most part of the game. He came alive in extra time actually and was the dangerman there

I think he was the best player in our offense even though he didnt create as much, but in his best scenes he was always fouled directly.

He and Wirtz are the future.

He played a good tournament and was decent today.

a) Germany favoured the opposite flank, because of Kimmich playing at RB and Havertz drifting there, too.
b) (also in part because of the former) whenever he had the ball in attacking positions, Spain had already flooded their box, so cutting inside wasn't a good option, so he had to resort to sending Raum to the touchline a bunch of times.
c) On the rare occasions when he actually got the ball with some space to dribble into Spain just fouled him: both of Carvajal's cards were won by Musiala, as was Ferran Torres' card, Rodri arguably should have been carded right before the break, too. And those were just the obvious ones I remembered.

I think the criticism of him knowing when to dribble and when not to applied today. I guess Germany were always going to have to force it a bit and theres few better suited in the team than him. Just didn't seem his day. Very good tournament all the same. Hasn't been many attacking highlights so far (as evidenced by me chatting shit here rather than pay attention to Portugal v France). He's one of very few who contributed so I think he can be happy with his tournament.

I think he was the best player in our offense even though he didnt create as much, but in his best scenes he was always fouled directly.

He and Wirtz are the future.

Every time I've seen him play I've been green with envy. If I could choose any player on the planet for United it would be him. Yamal second.

I think this was actually his second best game of the tournament after the mindblowingly good performance against Scotland. But he's clearly not there yet and didn't deserve the status he had under Nagelsmann. His decision making is far too inconsistent. I really hope he sorts that out because we sre definitely in for another few years of Nagelsmann and he's going to build the team around Musiala anyway.

The fact that apparently we could have gotten him younger for nothing, but previous regime fecked it up, is plain criminal

Tremendously overrated. His vision is very limited in the final third. I would rank him way below Wirtz as a prospect.

I remember seeing Wenger, Capello and some other legendary managers on stage at an event once. They were asked what the hardest thing to deal with as a coach is and they all agreed that it's when you have a player who thinks he is better than he actually is.

It's very hard to deal with because they constantly lose the ball, dribble down blind alleys etc and don't see the problem with that. You need to deflate their ego a bit without ruining their confidence, it's a tricky balance.
Sounds like Rashford

Most players overrate their own ability. You have to have that mentality to make it at the top.

The issue with Musiala is everyone in Germany overrates him. Put him in a random PL side and his weaknesses will get found out, thus allowing him to improve.

To me he is part of the reason both Bayern and Germany underperformed of late.

Most players overrate their own ability. You have to have that mentality to make it at the top.

The issue with Musiala is everyone in Germany overrates him. Put him in a random PL side and his weaknesses will get found out, thus allowing him to improve.

To me he is part of the reason both Bayern and Germany underperformed of late.

This reeks of someone who hasn't seen Musiala play more than 3 matches.

Musiala won Bayern the league with a late winning goal in the final game of the season two years ago, he wasn't even in the squad in 2018 and wasn't a regular in 2021 so don't know how you could blame him for Germany underperforming then. Ironically people will say we were better in 2022 and this year, both when Musiala was in the team. He's been a reason why Germany have looked much better offensively lately.

Creating chances hasn't been an issue the last few years in tournaments, it's been finishing them. That's we lost yesterday as well. Give us Kane and we'd be much closer to winning trophies.

Last edited:
This reeks of someone who hasn't seen Musiala play more than 3 matches.

Musiala won Bayern the league with a late winning goal in the final game of the season two years ago, he wasn't even in the squad in 2018 and wasn't a regular in 2021 so don't know how you could blame him for Germany underperforming then. Ironically people will say we were better in 2022 and this year, both when Musiala was in the team. He's been a reason why Germany have looked much better offensively lately.

Creating chances hasn't been an issue the last few years in tournaments, it's been finishing them. That's we lost yesterday as well. Give us Kane and we'd be much closer to winning trophies.

I have seen him play about 20 times. His vision is limited in the final third. Not a fan of his decision-making at all.

I have seen him play about 20 times. His vision is limited in the final third. Not a fan of his decision-making at all.

You could say that but then to say he's part of the reason Bayern and Germany have underperformed is ridiculous. There are definitely limitations in his decision making, which is why I've never been a fan of him playing as a central attacking midfielder, but he's still superb as a winger, where he's played at lately.

He's one of the better performers for Germany and Bayern over the years.

I can’t believe the stick Musiala is getting in here. He is 21 and is an incredible footballer already, of course his decision making isn’t perfect already.

Absolutely. Decision making is such an underrated quality and the hype around Musiala is a testament to this. If he had the football IQ of, say, Müller, he'd already be worldclass.

I can’t believe the stick Musiala is getting in here. He is 21 and is an incredible footballer already, of course his decision making isn’t perfect already.
People need to be more patient and forgiving of footballers, especially young players

I'm all for giving him time and letting him develop. But it is fair to point out in which areas he can improve, right? Especially when you have the feeling that this goes largely unnoticed.

People need to be more patient and forgiving of footballers, especially young players
Came to this thread just to see the silliness people were posting because his team were beaten by a plainly better team yesterday. And I wasn't disappointed.

Came to this thread just to see the silliness people were posting because his team were beaten by a plainly better team yesterday. And I wasn't disappointed.

What do you think is silly exactly? And how was Spain a "plainly better team" yesterday? Germany had more shots, more xG, more possession, more set pieces, they were basically by more or less any metric you choose.

Absolutely. Decision making is such an underrated quality and the hype around Musiala is a testament to this. If he had the football IQ of, say, Müller, he'd already be worldclass.

I'm all for giving him time and letting him develop. But it is fair to point out in which areas he can improve, right? Especially when you have the feeling that this goes largely unnoticed.
The person in the Germany set up who is most overrated and most needs to improve is Nagelsmann. Hilarious that people thought that a 36 year old manager was going to win the Euros.

He is being blamed for Bayern and Germany not winning. Are you not reading the posts?

He isn't blamed, it was said that he played a part in that. Which is a bit over the top I think but so is voiding him of any blame. Musiala is a raw diamond but raw he definitely is. He still needs to learn when to release the ball and in which situations he should dribble. But he had a decent game against Spain.

And becuase you might have missed my edit: How was Spain a "plainly better team" yesterday? Germany had more shots, more xG, more possession, more set pieces, they were basically by more or less any metric you choose.

Sadly patience isn't too common these days. There are posters angry that we haven't signed anyone yet despite the fact that two huge international tournaments have been going on.

Musiala looks good, but at his age so did Rashford.
The human factor often determines the application of the talent.
If he has a good head on his shoulders, then he could step up to challenging for the Ball'on'd'floor.

He isn't blamed, it was said that he played a part in that. Which is a bit over the top I think but so is voiding him of any blame. Musiala is a raw diamond but raw he definitely is. He still needs to learn when to release the ball and in which situations he should dribble. But he had a decent game against Spain.

And becuase you might have missed my edit: How was Spain a "plainly better team" yesterday? Germany had more shots, more xG, more possession, more set pieces, they were basically by more or less any metric you choose.
Spain are a better team than Germany with better players. And a better manager in the international game. They've played better in this tournament and they've had more recent success under this manager.
I wasn't talking about who specifically had better stats yesterday, in a game that was played in Germany.

Spain are a better team than Germany with better players. And a better manager in the international game. They've played better in this tournament and they've had more recent success under this manager.
I wasn't talking about who specifically had better stats yesterday, in a game that was played in Germany.

Against both Croatia and Germany, Spain had less shots and less xG than their opponent despite winning and Croatia was a shadow of its former self. You were very good against Italy which went on to comfortably lose to Switzerland, though. Spain is very good and probably the best team in the tournament now but not by as much as the results would have you think.

And player for player, I really don't see why Spain should be regarded as better either. Midfield and attack are excellent for both teams and German's defense is a bit better, I'd say.

In terms of coaching, I'd probably agree, though.

Your first sentence is not as clear cut as you make it sound. Better players is arguable and not even decisive as we can see with England how much that is worth compared to performing as a team on the pitch. Seeing as Germany beat Brazil 7:1 at a WC in Brazil I’m not so sure the home advantage is as big as you’re making it sound, it can also add pressure for the home team. Germany was also objectively the better team on the day. Count your lucky stars your team went through and try and be more humble about it next time. Cheers.

Your first sentence is not as clear cut as you make it sound. Better players is arguable and not even decisive as we can see with England how much that is worth compared to performing as a team on the pitch. Seeing as Germany beat Brazil 7:1 at a WC in Brazil I’m not so sure the home advantage is as big as you’re making it sound, it can also add pressure for the home team. Germany was also objectively the better team on the day. Count your lucky stars your team went through and try and be more humble about it next time. Cheers.
Dude, you are way off base. I'm not Spanish and they're not 'my team'. Spain are objectively a better team than Germany. Because the Germans have put together a few decent performances at home in this tournament, everyone has forgotten that they've been pretty poor for ages now. Especially compared to what they used to be.

Dude, you are way off base. I'm not Spanish and they're not 'my team'. Spain are objectively a better team than Germany. Because the Germans have put together a few decent performances at home in this tournament, everyone has forgotten that they've been pretty poor for ages now. Especially compared to what they used to be.

I don't think you're using the word "objectively" correctly ;)

people saying „objectively“ and then presenting their highly subjective opinion is hilarious, especially considering that Spain were inferior by all actual objective metrics in the recent game