Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s not going to be the best striker we ever had, but he would be an experienced premier league proven option.

Can start games or come on as an impact sub, the same way he does for England.

He’s strong, tall and gets himself about.

Bruno will take penalties, but I still think Toney would chip in with 10 goals minimum.

Not looking for him to be the best striker we have ever had,just someone for Rasmus to learn from and provide competition as well

there is no right price for United buying PL players…he’ll be 70m plus for us.
Yep like Branthwaite he will be too expensive. Toney helps Brentford stay in PL for another season. What the price on that? It isn't £40mil. Where do they replace his goals from? Go buy Solanke? That's £60mil.

I agree with the Thomas Frank quote, it's gonna cost £70mil to take him off Brentford this summer. Otherwise they will keep him for his goals and lose him on a free next summer.

Yep like Branthwaite he will be too expensive. Toney helps Brentford stay in PL for another season. What the price on that? It isn't £40mil. Where do they replace his goals from? Go buy Solanke? That's £60mil.

I agree with the Thomas Frank quote, it's gonna cost £70mil to take him off Brentford this summer. Otherwise they will keep him for his goals and lose him on a free next summer.

Largely exaggerated imo. Toney is not the decisive factor on whether they're going down. They did well without him for almost a whole season + If they'd get 40-50m for him, surely they'd get a decent replacement that would further help them stay up.

It's clear as day most of our forwards can't be counted on, especially to score goals. People get attached to players so duds get a longer grace period than they should. If Toney is available for 25-30M I don't see why not as a rotation option. We need an overhaul up front as our current options are embarrassing for a team with ambition.

Toney isnt going to come here as a rotation option though. He will want to start most games, and at that point his lack of non penalty goals becomes an issue, especially since we are not getting him for 25 to 30.

Largely exaggerated imo. Toney is not the decisive factor on whether they're going down. They did well without him for almost a whole season + If they'd get 40-50m for him, surely they'd get a decent replacement that would further help them stay up.
Goalscorers are the hardest position to buy for. More demand than supply. Toneys goals although not the decisive factor will help them. Besides I'm going by what Thomas Frank the Brentford manager said, £70mil.

Also who are these decent replacements at £40-£50mil? If they are cheaper and decent why aren't we in for them then? Or most of the PL?

Goalscorers are the hardest position to buy for. More demand than supply. Toneys goals although not the decisive factor will help them. Besides I'm going by what Thomas Frank the Brentford manager said, £70mil.

Also who are these decent replacements at £40-£50mil? If they are cheaper and decent why aren't we in for them then? Or most of the PL?
Well, because we have different standards than Brentford. Just have a look at Transfermarkt in that pricebracket and find 5 candidates and scout them really - it’s a professional guy’s job to see who fit Brentford’s setup best, not a redcafe user’s. Then play the best option for a year or two and you possibly have a decent candidate to substitute Ivan Toney. Mbeumo and Wissa are already pretty good candidates.

Im no scout, but 70m for a player who’s soon old (28 now) and will have little to no resale value in 5 years is a dumb idea imo.

Well, because we have different standards than Brentford. Just have a look at Transfermarkt in that pricebracket and find 5 candidates and scout them really - it’s a professional guy’s job to see who fit Brentford’s setup best, not a redcafe user’s. Then play the best option for a year or two and you possibly have a decent candidate to substitute Ivan Toney. Mbeumo and Wissa are already pretty good candidates.

Im no scout, but 70m for a player who’s soon old (28 now) and will have little to no resale value in 5 years is a dumb idea imo.
You may think it's dumb as do I, but it's the reality of the situation as explained by Thomas Frank. Same as Everton with Branthwaite, we all think £70mil is too much but they are the club who he plays for so it's up to them to decide on a acceptable price.

If the transfer fee is reasonable and attainable, we should get him in. We need more players that don't play "nice" to opponents. I feel that most of our players (maybe except Martinez, Bruno) are far too friendly to our opponents and doesn't strike fear to them. In the past, every game is like a war battle and you don't see any smile from any of those players (keane being the extreme end)

3 strikers is way too much if we're going to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 during the season. I don't think we're going for him.

If the transfer fee is reasonable and attainable, we should get him in. We need more players that don't play "nice" to opponents. I feel that most of our players (maybe except Martinez, Bruno) are far too friendly to our opponents and doesn't strike fear to them. In the past, every game is like a war battle and you don't see any smile from any of those players (keane being the extreme end)

What would you consider reasonable?

Would only make financial sense if we miraculously sold Sancho.

3 strikers is way too much if we're going to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 during the season. I don't think we're going for him.

Still think we might go for him as he's got a very different profile to Rasmus and Zirkzee

Still think we might go for him as he's got a very different profile to Rasmus and Zirkzee
I know, but I don't imagine ZIrkzee playing anywhere else except number 9. Hojlund's only position is also there, same with Toney. so splitting games between three number 9s would be quite difficult. I mean, I'd love to have these options, but whether players accept it, that's another story.

Toney’s best chance of being sold is in January, If Brentford have collected enough points to make staying up likely. The club is in extreme denial about his value, he won’t/shouldn’t sign an extension. And then he can leave on a free. If in January Brebtfird look safe in staying up and he hasn’t signed an extension… then MAYBE a team grabs him in January for 15 to 20 if they are looking for a goal scoring push or want to beat people to June

They spent last summer acting insulted at bids of £60m and telling the world they valued him at £100m.

A cautionary tale for some other clubs this summer perhaps.

I don't think he's right for us now - or the other way around. Getting Zirkzee, already having Hojlund, us not playing a two striker formation - highly unlikely we'll keep Toney happy.
I can see Zirkzee and Hojlund accepting a fluctuating rotational role, but I can't see Toney being happy with being off the bench more times than not - given his age and him expecting to play regularly at that age.

Shame, I feel we could have really used with him but it was always him or Zirkzee for me, not both.

Makes zero sense to buy a 3rd striker for 50M when we already have 2 strikers worth 100M+ we have bought in the last couple of seasons fighting for one spot.

2CFs is more than enough.

Get another midfielder/fullback in if we really have extra cash lying around.

I don't think he's right for us now - or the other way around. Getting Zirkzee, already having Hojlund, us not playing a two striker formation - highly unlikely we'll keep Toney happy.
I can see Zirkzee and Hojlund accepting a fluctuating rotational role, but I can't see Toney being happy with being off the bench more times than not - given his age and him expecting to play regularly at that age.

Shame, I feel we could have really used with him but it was always him or Zirkzee for me, not both.

I still feel we could have accommodated experienced striker alongside the two young ones.The muppet in me is hoping we go back right at the end of window if we had made some decent money from sales.

There is no point for us to buy Toney. His strongest attribute (taking penalties) is of no additional value for us

Ivan Toney is 28 years old and has been reasonably a good player for a lower/mid-table team like Brentford. I wouldn’t mind if we signed him as a squad player as long as he was available on a free transfer and with a reasonable salary. But like many English players, he is overvalued and overrated. We’ve moved beyond the Woodward era of crazy spending on average players.

Ivan Toney is 28 years old and has been reasonably a good player for a lower/mid-table team like Brentford. I wouldn’t mind if we signed him as a squad player as long as he was available on a free transfer and with a reasonable salary. But like many English players, he is overvalued and overrated. We’ve moved beyond the Woodward era of crazy spending on average players.

He would be available on free next summer heck possibly gettable for around £20m in January

They spent last summer acting insulted at bids of £60m and telling the world they valued him at £100m.

He is in his last year of his contract. If they don’t sell him he leave for free next summer.

He would be available on free next summer heck possibly gettable for around £20m in January
We currently have Hojlund and Zirkzee as our primary strikers and I’m confident that Hojlund will improve his goal scoring tally next season. In case of injury or suspension, Rashford can also play as a striker. As we have seen in the FA Cup final against City, we might also use a 4-2-2-2 formation without a traditional center forward in certain games. Given these options, we’re okay in this area and can afford to wait until next summer for reinforcements.

We currently have Hojlund and Zirkzee as our primary strikers and I’m confident that Hojlund will improve his goal scoring tally next season. In case of injury or suspension, Rashford can also play as a striker. As we have seen in the FA Cup final against City, we might also use a 4-2-2-2 formation without a traditional center forward in certain games. Given these options, we’re okay in this area and can afford to wait until next summer for reinforcements.

Just worry about not having experienced striker who could take the goalscoring pressure off

Didn't they do the same thing with Raya last year too? And had to settle for less in the end

You sure that isn't more a case of they aren't prepared to bid unless they drop asking price to around £40m
Considering the wages Toney would want, and his age, 40m would still be way too much. For PSR purposes he would cost more per year against the cap than Enzo did for Chelsea. It would be nice to bring in an experienced striker. It would be nice for Brentfird to make much needed money, but this is the world everyone said they wanted.

Considering the wages Toney would want, and his age, 40m would still be way too much. For PSR purposes he would cost more per year against the cap than Enzo did for Chelsea. It would be nice to bring in an experienced striker. It would be nice for Brentfird to make much needed money, but this is the world everyone said they wanted.

Do you think any of us could look at it again in January when he only has six months left

It’s great things like this are happening. Prices had gotten out of control and teams have become so greedy.

Putting an 100 million price tag, publically, on a player that isn’t prolific from open play was ludicrous and has, quite rightly, backfired.

He is 28 now and will want to leave. Full expect Spurs to pick him up for 25 million in August.

It’s great things like this are happening. Prices had gotten out of control and teams have become so greedy.

Putting an 100 million price tag, publically, on a player that isn’t prolific from open play was ludicrous and has, quite rightly, backfired.

He is 28 now and will want to leave. Full expect Spurs to pick him up for 25 million in August.
Good signing for spurs. He should go there. He will start every game.

Good signing for spurs. He should go there. He will start every game.

I thought it was perfect too, but Johnson/Werner seem to be the pairing they want on the wings for pure pace and to push teams back, which leaves Son though the middle, so maybe they aren’t interested either!

Do you think any of us could look at it again in January when he only has six months left
Well, that’s when I said in another post a move was more likely. If Brentford have enough points to feel safe from relegation, then they could see him loose for a VERY low fee, like 15 to 20 to a team hat needs goals. That would be doable, as long as he was t look for a massive wage jump.

If Brentford are on the border for relegation then they will look at his production as more value than anything they could get selling him.

Well, that’s when I said in another post a move was more likely. If Brentford have enough points to feel safe from relegation, then they could see him loose for a VERY low fee, like 15 to 20 to a team hat needs goals. That would be doable, as long as he was t look for a massive wage jump.

If Brentford are on the border for relegation then they will look at his production as more value than anything they could get selling him.
He doesn't fit the INEOS model of 18-24 year old players. But then again nor does Rabiot and we may sign him. I think Toney will be disruptive if he isn't playing regularly.

He's obviously the finished product more than Hojlund is.

But whether he's good enough that it would justify him coming in and hogging game time I really don't know. It's a balance of the fact we need to massively improve and to do that you need better players especially up front and he would upgrade us, but at the same time he doesn't seem so great, he wasn't doing much when he was Hojlund's age, Hojlund can improve this next couple years.

Particularly when you have Zirkzee who will have to find game time, although maybe he'll play off a striker too.

Maybe if there's an opportunity he's going to go very cheap it could be tempting but I don't really see wasting budget on it currently when there's midfield, left back looks questionable, Dalot has no competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.