Is Mainoo the real deal?

Is Kobbie Mainoo the real deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If someone told you he'd be starting a euros final this time last year you'd tell them to pull the other one.

Yes he did and it worked instantly. Doesn't change the fact we were losing when he played and came back instantly when he came off.

United we're 7th when he made his debut. With him in the side we then finished 8th and we were conceding a ridiculous number of shots on some of those games. Individually Mainoo looked excellent so I was really looking forward to seeing him playing in Euros with better players around him and dominating a game with a 3-0 win but that hasn't happened.

All I'm saying is individually does Mainoo look to be a very good player? Yes absolutely. Does an England or Man Utd team team look better overall with him in it? I have to say we still don't know at this point.
Ridiculous view on a great player for the club. So how does it explain winning the FA cup with him in the team? He wasn’t playing in the FA cup last season and we lost it going by your logic. I get what you’re trying to say but Mainoo isn’t like Pogba who performed well for a few games just to make himself stand out and look good. Mainoo actually elevates the players round him and allows the team to play better more fluid attacking football.

Ridiculous view on a great player for the club. So how does it explain winning the FA cup with him in the team? He wasn’t playing in the FA cup last season and we lost it going by your logic. I get what you’re trying to say but Mainoo isn’t like Pogba who performed well for a few games just to make himself stand out and look good. Mainoo actually elevates the players round him and allows the team to play better more fluid attacking football.

agree. He’s hardly mentioned compared to rice as he’s very European in his ball recycling and short game passing. They didn’t appreciate Scholes and they won’t have Mainoo as their MOTM very often even though he’s setting tempo and keeping possession contributing heavily to the results.

We had 26% possession and City had 19 shots. It wasn't a dominant performance but luckily things came together for us on the day. Think we were 9-1 odds to win it as well. City are also not as good as they were previous season.

I don't think it's that debatable that the last 8 months has been some of the worst football we've ever seen at the club. We were 7th when Mainoo made his debut and finished 8 so I wouldn't say there was any improvement to the team overall. We had a negative goal difference until the end of the season.

We had 26% possession and City had 19 shots. It wasn't a dominant performance but luckily things came together for us on the day. Think we were 9-1 odds to win it as well. City are also not as good as they were previous season.

I don't think it's that debatable that the last 8 months has been some of the worst football we've ever seen at the club. We were 7th when Mainoo made his debut and finished 8 so I wouldn't say there was any improvement to the team overall. We had a negative goal difference until the end of the season.

He’s a massive building block for the team for the next decade. He didn’t cost 70 plus million either. He’s operating in a dysfunctional team for sure for now. Pair him with similar quality and we don’t have to worry for once about the centre of midfield anytime soon. For a kid his age, he’s a phenomenon.

The ones who are saying people who voted «patience, give hime time»(like me) are wrong and should hang their head in shame, will, imo, also be among the ones who are less patient when he has an inevitable poor spell.

With his demeanor/style and not extraordinary defensive efforts he’s surely gonna be feasted upon when he has poorer spells. I for one promise to also have patience with him in his poor spells whilst he is young.

I love how when he's on the ball he always looks annoyed by his surroundings. Even against players 10 years older than him
"You guys are shit at this, here let me show you".

The ones who are saying people who voted «patience, give hime time»(like me) are wrong and should hang their head in shame, will, imo, also be among the ones who are less patient when he has an inevitable poor spell.

With his demeanor/style and not extraordinary defensive efforts he’s surely gonna be feasted upon when he has poorer spells. I for one promise to also have patience with him in his poor spells whilst he is young.

I agree whole heartedly. That’s a drum I’ve been beating for a long time. I think he is absolutely the real deal. Most complete midfielder I have seen at the club in a long time, and a massive, massive talent. But patience and giving him time is exactly what we should be doing. He can’t continue his trajectory as smoothly and impressively as he has forever. There will be a dip at some point, and when that point comes, it just requires a little patience. Unfortunately you just know that the people who are engaging in the most hyperbole at this point, are the same that will forth at the mouth and call him shit when he first stutters. It’s just an immutable law of online fandom.

There are certain players who look great individually but don't necessarily improve your team and I'm still undecided whether or not if he falls into this category.

8 appearances now for England mostly against weaker opposition and I think last night is the first time they have taken the lead while he's been on the pitch. The team Instantly looked better on a couple of occasions when he's been subbed off despite good performances from himself.

United have looked the worse team in a majority of the games he's played although individually he's looked very good.

On the balance of probably it's probably the case that Southgate and Ten Hag aren't very good managers and it isn't his fault that the teams he's in haven't played to their full potential but I'm still not certain at this point.
One of the worst takes I've read on this forum.

Yes he did and it worked instantly. Doesn't change the fact we were losing when he played and came back instantly when he came off.

United we're 7th when he made his debut. With him in the side we then finished 8th and we were conceding a ridiculous number of shots on some of those games. Individually Mainoo looked excellent so I was really looking forward to seeing him playing in Euros with better players around him and dominating a game with a 3-0 win but that hasn't happened.

All I'm saying is individually does Mainoo look to be a very good player? Yes absolutely. Does an England or Man Utd team team look better overall with him in it? I have to say we still don't know at this point.
Mainoo himself was both individually and tactically fine for us last season. Of course we can point to certain instances where players will make mistakes which is normal at most clubs. But the majority of the players in attack (Bruno, Garnacho, Hojlund, Amad etc) were fine tactically and carried out their duties, especially out of possession. We were never going to effectively build play back from the back with both Shaw and Martinez missing most of the season through injury. But to control possession at a high level in the present day EPL, you must as a team have CBs who are on par with your midfielders on the ball.

The issue wasn't the tactics but rather having a backline who didn't seem to buy into the idea of backing the forwards, fullbacks and midfielders to press high as collective unit. It's no surprise to me that they're going after CBs in the current transfer window because it will help us play the game higher up the pitch in the opponent's half and improve both our attack and defense, which opens up the scenario where opponents struggle to get out of their own half. And that's because the high press from the front and rest defense at the back make a out ball for the opposition more difficult.

Last edited:

Keep on digging the big hole you are in, you'll end up in Australia soon enough and I'm sure @wibble will set you straight there

Coincidental correlation:

A coincidental correlation is a correlation between two variables that is real but not caused by a causal relationship. For example, there is a correlation between the number of sociology doctorates awarded in the US and the number of non-commercial space missions launched worldwide. This correlation is coincidental because sociology graduates usually work in the field they are trained in.

Last edited:
Coincidental correlation:
Very true.

However, there is a direct relationship between United having a porous midfield for the vast majority of the season and being one of the players that made up for that midfield, though.

Mainoo is a brilliant talent, but that has somehow morphed into him now being beyond any criticism at all. His positioning is can be very erratic at times. Casemiro had a poor season, but he was frequently left alone to deal with opposition attacks.

Mainoo can be the real deal and still be a major factor in United having their worst ever PL season. Both can be true at the same time.

Very true.

However, there is a direct relationship between United having a porous midfield for the vast majority of the season and being one of the players that made up for that midfield, though.

Mainoo is a brilliant talent, but that has somehow morphed into him now being beyond any criticism at all. His positioning is can be very erratic at times. Casemiro had a poor season, but he was frequently left alone to deal with opposition attacks.

Mainoo can be the real deal and still be a major factor in United having their worst ever PL season. Both can be true at the same time.
What are you under the impression United’s midfield looked like before Mainoo was introduced?! Ffs.

He just doesn't know how to make himself available for a pass.

Same as McTominay. I think there's actually a bit of a systematic issue with the way we develop midfielders at this club.

Anyone drawing conclusions on a single game need to learn a bit about football.

Based on this game, very few England players look good. Hell the whole tournament some very good players have mostly been poor

He's just turned 19 with only 1 season of pro football behind him and playing in a Euro Final.

A massive talent, give him a break ffs.

Struggling to get into the game. And that’s okay, it happens.

Like that he doesn’t look fazed regardless, still playing his game his way.

He definitely needs a physical presence beside him next season that we currently don’t have. I hope the club and manager give him the platform he needs.

Every time I watch him play, I feel he is extremely overrated on Redcafe. Yes, his turning and dribbling is world class already, but I feel like all other aspects of his game are average or worse