Huw Edwards | Charged with making indecent images of children

Has the individual who is being named been on TV since this News broke? I find it difficult to believe its that person, especially with these new allegations

To be clear, I do think the bbc generally do a fairly good job at being impartial (compared to most other news networks anyway) The fish in a barrel stuff was about how easy it is to annoy people by pointing this out. Especially people who spend too much time on Twitter.

I also don’t understand why this specific story would put the BBC in the firing line anyway? It seems to be all about The Sun trying to attack and undermine the BBC. So the bad guys here are the right wing commercial press, not the state funded broadcaster? Unless I’m missing something?

I was just pulling your chain to be honest.

I think the BBC is fairly impartial but its reporting on what the Tories get up to is often suspiciously slow, and then you have the depictions of Corbyn in Soviet-era art etc.. It's easy to understand why those on the left think there's something going on.

I guess with the BBC's track record of hiring sexual predators (Jimmy Savile, Rolf Harris, Tim Westwood) it's an easy target and makes it look like the BBC isn't up to the task of maintaining its standards; much like the Metropolitan Police. Not much gets the public going like a nonce witch hunt.

I was just pulling your chain to be honest.

I think the BBC is fairly impartial but its reporting on what the Tories get up to is often suspiciously slow, and then you have the depictions of Corbyn in Soviet-era art etc.. It's easy to understand why those on the left think there's something going on.

I guess with the BBC's track record of hiring sexual predators (Jimmy Savile, Rolf Harris, Tim Westwood) it's an easy target and makes it look like the BBC isn't up to the task of maintaining its standards; much like the Metropolitan Police. Not much gets the public going like a nonce witch hunt.

I think the sexual predator stuff is just about abuse of celebrity status. And there’s an obvious overlap between working for the bbc and celebrity status. Even more so in the past, when there wer fewer opportunities to get on national Tv/radio.

The one thing I think the bbc got badly wrong recently was the Gary Lineker stuff. And that did seem to be driven mainly be senior people (or person?) at the organisation being unduly influenced by the Tories. Which is a shame. But, in general, it seems to do a pretty good job at doing what it is supposed to do. One of those things where some people will only realise what a good job it did when it’s gone.

And for all of Jeremy Vine's faults (I'm far from a fan) he is absolutely spot on in saying that they should just announce themselves now because it's extremely unfair for multiple people to be getting such accusations thrown at them when only one person is responsible, and it's none of them.

So the sun print lies about someone, then double down on the lies, and jeremy vine, who hosts a national TV show about the news, says, just admit you did wrong?

His job is to tell people the sun are printing crap as a cover for some good old gay bashing.

It is the sun at fault here. They've paid probably 30 grand to estranged parents for a story the young person had told them was bollocks before they even printed it. They are in the wrong, and they continue to be in the wrong. You don't back down to bullies.

Couldn't give a feck. How much time do you spend concerning yourselves with stranger's marital problems?
That's a weird response considering we're in a thread talking about events involving strangers.

Apparently he should name himself now, because of the damaging speculation to others, despite it being quite possible the man's done nothing wrong and has had his privacy invaded.

fecking bonkers. It's such a self absorbed load of nonsense.

Can someone hint at who it is in a non-libellous manner, as I couldn't be arsed searching anywhere for it.

That's a weird response considering we're in a thread talking about events involving strangers.

I'm kinda with the poster. What he does in his private life in regards to infidelity in his marriage is of no concern to me and is between him and his partner. Unless there was abuse involved in the infidelity then to me its of no relevance and shouldn't be sensationalised.

In regard to the actual story it seems clear to me there is a concerted effort to disgrace the presenter in order to get rid of them. Whether to set an example or to divert attention. Either way nothing in the story as it stands is deserving of such coverage.

hugely speculative given she was likely born in the edwardian era.
:lol: her nickname isn't The Museum for nothing. Although that might just be because lots of people buy tickets every day to see her private collection.

And for all of Jeremy Vine's faults (I'm far from a fan) he is absolutely spot on in saying that they should just announce themselves now because it's extremely unfair for multiple people to be getting such accusations thrown at them when only one person is responsible, and it's none of them.
It's all very well for Vine, but even though "the internet" knows the name of the man in question, many people will not be aware of it. I can understand him not wanting to make a bad situation worse.

Also, absolutely crazy people are suggesting he should out himself because other people are catching baseless strays.

Also, absolutely crazy people are suggesting he should out himself because other people are catching baseless strays.

Not least because if the sun thought there was something genuine here, they would have named him themselves.

the refusal to identify the person in print is an admission it is a load of nensense that would costs them millions in court if they pointed it all at a specific name.

I'm kinda with the poster. What he does in his private life in regards to infidelity in his marriage is of no concern to me and is between him and his partner. Unless there was abuse involved in the infidelity then to me its of no relevance and shouldn't be sensationalised.

In regard to the actual story it seems clear to me there is a concerted effort to disgrace the presenter in order to get rid of them. Whether to set an example or to divert attention. Either way nothing in the story as it stands is deserving of such coverage.
If there is no crime then none of it is really any of our business though.

It's all very well for Vine, but even though "the internet" knows the name of the man in question, many people will not be aware of it. I can understand him not wanting to make a bad situation worse.

I would argue the situation gets worse with every passing minute he tries to remain hidden.

Front it up and you have a chance at credibility, try and avoid it... well I guess we'll see how it turns out!

I would argue the situation gets worse with every passing minute he tries to remain hidden.

Front it up and you have a chance at credibility, try and avoid it... well I guess we'll see how it turns out!
I’d imagine he’s privately dealing with his family situation first. He owes them everything and the public nothing.

If he works for the publicly funded BBC then that's not entirely true
Oh give over that’s absolute bollocks. If it’s not illegal what he has done why does his private life become public property because he’s working for the BBC?

You think you have a right to know he’s gay?

Oh give over that’s absolute bollocks. If it’s not illegal what he has done why does his private life become public property because he’s working for the BBC?

You think you have a right to know he’s gay?

You seem to know the whole story so I'll leave it, but if it was as simple as that I doubt it would have been this big of a story for the entire week.

I deserve to know because I coulda been selling my dick pictures for big money and funding my drug habit.

I deserve to know because I coulda been selling my dick pictures for big money and funding my drug habit.
Are you a crackhead? for legal purposes, this is not a serious question

Question I would be asking is, who's paying for this kid's lawyers? Seems strange that they've apparently got top representation.

It's pretty obvious who is paying isn't it?

You seem to know the whole story so I'll leave it, but if it was as simple as that I doubt it would have been this big of a story for the entire week.

This mentality is exactly why the sun and it’s ilk continue to exist.

Does anyone think that this anonymous person will have any recourse in a civil case against the Sun or the BBC?

Also if any investigation clears him of any wrong doing is it possible to go back to his job?

I'm not certain but the Sun and the BBC have either been very smart or incredibly lucky.

Is it possible they are innocent then and it was all made up?

I reckon everything is possible ranging something shitty/immoral (but legal) to something worthy of jail-time

but for sure it's possible The Sun have lied or at the very least made a mountain out of a mole-hill, they're famous for it

I reckon everything is possible ranging something shitty/immoral (but legal) to something worthy of jail-time

but for sure it's possible The Sun have lied or at the very least made a mountain out of a mole-hill, they're famous for it
Of course they will make it out to be worse than it is no matter what, but it's just how much worse