How good is Eddie Howe?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
To be fair, there is a case to be made for Brighton growing into a better side than Newcastle, a side that should be winning at home. I have them as the dark horse forum top four. Reckon they'll finish ahead of Tottenham and Chelsea again, and probably Newcastle too.

Oranges038

The real problem Howe is facing now is that he's been figured out. Teams know how to stop Newcastle, and now that they are expected to win, they can't spend half the game wasting time and fecking about.

Let's see if he has a plan B.

cj_sparky

Howe clearly has separation anxiety, he can't function having Tindall a couple of feet away and not whispering him sweet nothings in the technical area all game.

Tindall was the ventriloquist and Howe was the dummy.

Semigoodlookin

Does this start to the season have anything to do with refs clamping down on the type of shithousery that Newcastle was the leader in last season, or is it simply tough fixtures and a drop off from last season?

FrantikChicken

Does this start to the season have anything to do with refs clamping down on the type of shithousery that Newcastle was the leader in last season, or is it simply tough fixtures and a drop off from last season?
I don’t think it’s the refs to be honest…they got outplayed today for 90mins and also lost to 10 man Liverpool. tough starting fixtures for sure but they looked better last season in similar positions.

Thing is once you get to a top 4 position, progress isn’t so linear as just buying some nice players. They have a lot of work to do and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them finish between 5th and 7th.

Bertie Wooster

Howe's a perfectly decent PL manager, but there's a long history of neaveau riche clubs / clubs currently being well run that, at the start of that journey, make the early managers of that journey look really good - until the success continues without them, and they have less success at other clubs, etc, and it becomes evident that it was more the club and it's wealth / solid structure that made the manager look better than they were.

Howe's doing well at Newcastle (or did last season) but it's also great timing for him - he'll be currently compared to their past managers while actually being the first with the club having increased funds, potential and ambition - so, like with Chelsea and City when they came into money, it's more about what Newcastle managers achieve from now, under this regime, not comparing them to what managers did with limited funds and opportunity under most previous owners.

Howe's helped them get off to a good start, but there should be big expectations there that they'll improve each season as their prestige, and ability to attract bigger named players, increases. So Howe needs to prove he's a manager capable of getting them to those levels otherwise, if he plateaus, the club are in a position to get a manager who's already proven at them.

Dominos

To be fair, there is a case to be made for Brighton growing into a better side than Newcastle, a side that should be winning at home. I have them as the dark horse forum top four. Reckon they'll finish ahead of Tottenham and Chelsea again, and probably Newcastle too.
The dark horses Villa and Brighton have both gone from having no Europe last year to having Thursday-Sunday schedule all season which will hinder their league form like it did to West Ham last season (though I'm not suggesting they'll sink that low in the table). Don't see them having enough to get near top 4.

Similarly I expected a drop off from Newcastle this season on the basis they achieved what they did last season with no European distractions, and they went from relegation candidates to top 4 in 18 months which suggests a team that was probably overachieving from their true level.

Spurs/Chelsea were a worry for me as a United fan wanting us to hold onto our top 4 spot. No European football at all is a big boost, Klopp benefited from it in his first full season and Conte benefited massively the season he won the league with Chelsea. It's early days thankfully Chelsea are dropping points for fun but they could hit their stride eventually, Spurs are a bit of a worry after their very good start.

marktan

The Howe - De Zerbi wankfest pendulum swings in another direction.

Truth is both managers benefit massively from the recruitment their clubs have done.

The real Messiah is Angie.

simplyared

I was hoping at this guy could show the rest of the footballing world that Brit managers can compete with the Italians, Spaniards, Argentinas, Portuguese etc. Looking like he could end up in the Champioship with Warnock and the rest of em. We must be doing something wrong!

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The big plus for Brighton that only City have in the league is a Evan Ferguson. Too soon to say for us. Having a genuine potential top CF is a game changer and brings your ceiling to the top in a way none of the others do as nobody else can just score consistently and reliably.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Undone by "big club" arrogance today.

Everton and West Ham have walloped Brighton at the AMEX in recent fixtures. It's about employing the correct tactics.

Howe won't be the last to make the mistake.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've thought up to now that he's done an incredible job there and they are probably the toughest away ground to go to. But I'm surprised to see them on 3 points after 4 matches with the European matches not even begun. He won't get a lot of time if things start to unravel, that's unlikely.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
I've thought up to now that he's done an incredible job there and they are probably the toughest away ground to go to. But I'm surprised to see them on 3 points after 4 matches with the European matches not even begun. He won't get a lot of time if things start to unravel, that's unlikely.
How many other teams in the league would've taken more than 3 points from Villa (h), City (a), Liverpool (h), Brighton (a)?

There's a lot of hyperbole about our results, but people seem to be completely ignoring the opposition. Last year, we took 4 points from these respective fixtures and played worse in all of them. How we got a point from the Amex last year is anyone's guess, we were battered.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How many other teams in the league would've taken more than 3 points from Villa (h), City (a), Liverpool (h), Brighton (a)?

There's a lot of hyperbole about our results, but people seem to be completely ignoring the opposition. Last year, we took 4 points from these respective fixtures and played worse in all of them. How we got a point from the Amex last year is anyone's guess, we were battered.
Fair enough. Really tough opening fixtures. But that loss against a 10 man Liverpool team being 1-0 up is a bit of a disaster though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surely can’t be long until the owners have the knives out?
Doubt it, they haven't been kneejerk at all with their recruitment decisions so far compared to Man. City ownership in the early part of their tenure.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Doubt it, they haven't been kneejerk at all with their recruitment decisions so far compared to Man. City ownership in the early part of their tenure.
How were City's owners knee-jerk? They gave Hughes (the previous ownership's manager) a whole season and a half before replacing him with their own man, who then got three and a half seasons. Hardly knee-jerk.

always_hoping

Wouldn't be getting such an easy ride with the UK media if he was managing Man United. Currently bottom of their Champion league group and 7th in Premier League behind and less points than Man United.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How were City's owners knee-jerk? They gave Hughes (the previous ownership's manager) a whole season and a half before replacing him with their own man, who then got three and a half seasons. Hardly knee-jerk.
Signings. Robinho was a big name but ill suited to what they needed and they also signed guys like Roque Santa Cruz and Jo for 20m + in first year or so. They spend 100s of millions before the spine of Toure-Silva-Aguero was developed.

Newcastle's transfer policy has been a huge success so far.

Trippier was seen as too old rather than the vastly experience top level player he is. After that Bruno Guimaraes, Pope, Isak all been big successes. Gordon a question mark but he was signed not as first choice.

Their issue is they've got little outside their regular first 11 and having to rely on Benitez or Steve Bruce signings to cover injuries and those were signed to fight relegation.

It's generally accepted up there they made CL a year earlier than planned. I don't see Howe in any danger of being sacked unless they bomb and finish 9th or 10th.

Even making europa league and they can have a serious go at winning that next season and making CL that way while also ending their trophy drought.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Everyone knows he'll be sacked once they properly get going. But currently they're constrained by the spending limits. (What limits, ask Man City!)

glasgow 21

Everyone knows he'll be sacked once they properly get going. But currently they're constrained by the spending limits. (What limits, ask Man City!)
I take it mondays media calls will be for Howe to be sacked seeing they have the same points as us. Talk nonsense has been saying it ETH last chance saloon for a month now so surely time has come to add Howe to that. I'm desperate we continue this run to catch up with the "Media love in champ" Angie gooday ...

Rockets Redglare

I take it mondays media calls will be for Howe to be sacked seeing they have the same points as us. Talk nonsense has been saying it ETH last chance saloon for a month now so surely time has come to add Howe to that. I'm desperate we continue this run to catch up with the "Media love in champ" Angie gooday ...
They’re actually a point behind, and media darlings Brighton will only be on the same points as us if they win tomorrow.

M Bison

Supports
York City
They looked awful tonight but tbf to him, injuries and European football are adding to the strain. I can only imagine this place if we got slapped by Bournemouth though!

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
United are a completely different proposition to Newcastle or Spurs hence results are reflected differently in the media. Not a shocker.

Thiagoal

Given the number of games they’re playing, added to the number of injuries they’re picking up and the lack of squad depth they have- I can only see them nose-diving. They’ll be very thankful of the international break that’s for sure!

ti vu

Wouldn't be getting such an easy ride with the UK media if he was managing Man United. Currently bottom of their Champion league group and 7th in Premier League behind and less points than Man United.
You never know given that he's young English manager which is rare nowadays to reach this high level.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Signings. Robinho was a big name but ill suited to what they needed and they also signed guys like Roque Santa Cruz and Jo for 20m + in first year or so. They spend 100s of millions before the spine of Toure-Silva-Aguero was developed.

Trippier was seen as too old rather than the vastly experience top level player he is. After that Bruno Guimaraes, Pope, Isak all been big successes. Gordon a question mark but he was signed not as first choice.

Their issue is they've got little outside their regular first 11 and having to rely on Benitez or Steve Bruce signings to cover injuries and those were signed to fight relegation.

It's generally accepted up there they made CL a year earlier than planned. I don't see Howe in any danger of being sacked unless they bomb and finish 9th or 10th.

Even making europa league and they can have a serious go at winning that next season and making CL that way while also ending their trophy drought.
Fair enough. I think the existence of FFP may have forced Newcastle's hand a bit - it's costly to be too wasteful with money even if you have unlimited resources. Obviously when City was taken over that wasn't a thing.

The stature of the league is also a bit different from 2008; back then, it was much harder for teams outside the traditional "big four" to attract top players other than mercenaries looking for a payday.

I do agree that Newcastle's owners have been very prudent and measured with their decisions so far, and don't think they'll rush to sack Howe anytime soon unless things go seriously off the rails.

GazTheLegend

How long till he's sacked do you think. He's had £400million quid to spend now if I'm right in my thinking, and I'm convinced the Saudi's will be moving him on sooner rather than later.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Howe is a good manager as long as his Plan A is going right. As soon as he needs to rethink his tactics and strategy during the game is where he gets found out, especially when the opposing team scores first and makes tactical changes early in the game. He's been the same since at Bournemouth.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

We don't know how patient the Newcastle owners will be, but surely if they made the CL a year earlier than planned by qualifying last season, the expectation that they'll qualify this season still stands?

I'm not saying they will or should sack Howe for missing out, but the fact is we have no idea what they'll do if they find themselves drifting away from the CL spots. It's all well and good last season being two steps forward, but it's no good if this season ends up being two or three steps back again.

City were definitely scattergun with their signings at first. That deadline day when the takeover was confirmed was mad, and they were linked with anyone and everyone, and somehow ended up with just Robinho, who was basically there just to prove they could sign someone.

They'd actually already splashed a bit of cash that summer before the takeover, bringing in Jo, Ben Haim, Kompany, Wright-Phillips, Zabaleta, and some chap called Glauber. They then went on to spend even more in January, bringing in Bridge, Bellamy, de Jong and Given. The next season they continued to be mad, bringing in Barry, Santa Cruz, Tevez, Adebayor, Kolo Toure, Sylvinho and Lescott.

Newcastle seem have had a bit more direction than City's early signings, but they have still brought in at least 12 senior players in what is essentially one and a bit seasons, which is actually roughly in line with the number City brought in over a similar period after their takeover.

Newcastle had finished (going backwards) 12th, 13th, 13th and 10th in the seasons prior to their takeover, managed 11th the season of and 4th the season after. City had finished 9th, 14th, 15th and 8th in the seasons prior to theirs, and finished 10th the season of and 5th the season after.

The starting positions in terms of the quality of squad seem roughly in line to me, but City's trajectory saw them follow that 5th place with 3rd and an FA Cup, and then winning the title. Newcastle seem a long way off that sort of development as things are, and the owners may well look at other managerial options sooner rather than later.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Easy ride? He's made Almiron, Longstaff, and Joelinton into above-average PL players. Even though they have spent, a lot of their key players were fighting for relegation under previous managers. They are also playing in the toughest CL group.

He's at least an above-average manager.

ti vu

How long till he's sacked do you think. He's had £400million quid to spend now if I'm right in my thinking, and I'm convinced the Saudi's will be moving him on sooner rather than later.
The question is who they can pick if they sack Eddie Howe now? Emery was the guy they chose originally, who is quite good and experienced enough with good players but he's now at Aston Villa. Do they have a vision or would they be happy with overhaul of playing philosophy if they try to poach Conte?

GlasgowCeltic

nothing to do with that, he’s English so he’ll always be given extended benefit of the doubt