How good is Eddie Howe?

Melville Red

Well Newcastle totally capitulated today didn’t they, and against the dippers of all clubs.
I honestly think Howe will be sacked this season, especially when the CL starts.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Well Newcastle totally capitulated today didn’t they, and against the dippers of all clubs.
I honestly think Howe will be sacked this season, especially when the CL starts.
Bit harsh. Yes they should have won but they battered the scousers on stats and just had a bad day with finishing. Other weeks they can score 5+ goals. Not always down to the manager. Players have to score the goals.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Bit harsh. Yes they should have won but they battered the scousers on stats and just had a bad day with finishing. Other weeks they can score 5+ goals. Not always down to the manager. Players have to score the goals.
I mean they were playing against 10 men at home, you'd expect them to batter Liverpool. Howe made some terrible subs though taking Gordon off especially.

Personally I think Howe is a great example of a how a decent manager can be significantly elevated by fantastic structure from a clubs executives. They've recruited with sniper like precision finding players that can both fit Howe's preferred style as well as being able to elevate any style, and they've hardly blown everyone out of the water with pure spending.

Contrast that with us, where Ten Hag is probably one of the better managers in the world but was given the keys to all recruitment decisions and thus our actual talent acquisition is inefficient at best and other times even poor.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’ll beheading out the door soon, Saudis don’t have much patience.
Deserves another season for getting them CL football surely? Hadn’t really spent an awful lot last season. Wasn’t it just Isak and Botman?

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
He’s class, undeniably brilliant what he’s achieving without the anticipated billions of investment.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He's turned duds such a Joelinton, Almiron, and Longstaff into legitimate PL players. He's a good manager.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He’s worked wonders with that Toon squad.

He’s a really good coach who by all accounts used his time after leaving Bournemouth to really learn and further himself in art of football coaching.

I remember when Utd were linked with him and I baulked at the idea… he’s proved me wrong for sure.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He got schooled yesterday. His subs threw the game wide open and then Klopp used his subs to take advantage of that.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He got schooled yesterday. His subs threw the game wide open and then Klopp used his subs to take advantage of that.
Yes, his subs allowed Klopp to take advantage using his own subs. He takes a lot of heat on this forum but he is a very clever tactician. Howe has some learning still to do !!

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
I think he's a great coach and I'm happy he came in to fix Bruce's mess. However I also think last season was probably the maximum of what he could get out of the players + other clubs underperforming (relative to their perceived strengths). While we've strengthened a little others have also course corrected and I'm not certain, or demanding, of a CL spot, though I wouldn't rule it out. The absolute brain trusts on twitter will, of course, make all of us look bad; but for a forum with its own nickname for its brainless members I hope you'll have understanding there in realizing they don't represent the whole.

Any talk of sacking is premature - barring of course a complete collapse and flirting with relegation. He's good enough and will be backed enough to help establish a spot near the top. I'd give it 2-3 more seasons of 3rd-6th place finishes and deep cup runs before the regime decides to move things to the next level if he hasn't won anything.

As for what happened at the weekend? Well. If its the worst game of his tenure I'll die a happy man.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I like their recent transfer business. Actually am a bit jealous of their business in that all of Tonali, Livramento and Hall would be pretty useful for us right now.

Joel Miller

Him and Everton, 12 point head start every season for Pool.

He really is Klopp’s bitch. That’s an awful record, and for that to continue on when he was 1-0 up with a man advantage for most of the game is a really bad look.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's a decent manager who has done much better with Newcastle than I anticipated him to. They have invested but not very excessively and most of their signings have worked out quite well, you definitely would not have expected them to reach CL so soon even with Chelsea and Liverpool falling apart last season.

He's not top tier like Klopp or Pep, but probably somewhere in the tier or two below, basically the same as ten Hag.

SAFMUTD

He fecked his own team up with those subs. Took Gordon out who was killing TTA. Took Tonali out for Longstaff and fecked up his midfield control.

Liverpool had two chances and took them well but Howe has a big responsibility in this one.
He's done it again. Awful subs against Brighton.

Rockets Redglare

His Saudi overlords will be ruthless now they’ve been in charge a while and he’ll be gone by Christmas.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He will be gone before Christmas. His team is all graft and running and will get taken apart in that CL group.

He needed to add real quality in the summer and he has just added more runners.

Rockets Redglare

You think they'll pull the trigger?
Three points after four games is a big decline from how hard were to beat last season. Plus with champions league football to play as well this could be a disaster of a season, so I could see them being ruthless.

Semigoodlookin

They have had a tough start to the season to be fair. I was predicting around 7th or 8th this season and will stick by that. Of course, after the overachievement last season that won't be enough and Howe will be heading for the sack if things don't turn around.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The 2nd season is always more difficult. When your system is based in crazy work rate, keeping things tight and being dominant off set pieces, you are bound to go through a rough patch. Shot start to the season from a shit fixture list but now when they return from international break they'll feel the effects of fixture congestion from CL games for the first time, so we'll see how they do.

My prediction was always he'd get sacked this season, he did a good job but a drop off was inevitable and CL was not their real level yet.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Said it pre season. This project has so much still to do to be considered a consistent part of the elite. Almost entire side needs rebuilding if they want to be a UCL contender.

Melville Red

And today was simply awful. Those owners won’t stand this for long.

Gazautd18

At least won't be seeing his smug shit eating grin for a few weeks