How bad have our injuries really been this season?

justsomebloke

We are playing Casemiro and Amrabat in central defence tonight from the sounds of it. Mental.

Is there not anyone from the reserve/youth sides that can be brought in thats an actual central defender to play alongside 1 out of position midfielder at least?
6 CBs out injured, plus a FB who could have played there. I wonder if that's a first.

Nas-JR

6 CBs out injured, plus a FB who could have played there. I wonder if that's a first.
...Plus mcT who could fill in. Everyone claiming it is overtraining. I seriously struggle to believe our training sessions are anywhere near as intense as city, arsenal and liverpool's training considering how much energy they expend game after game especially when compared to us.

Hopefully it's growing pains needed to get us up to the levels of other teams intensity wise (didn't klopp's liverpool get a load of injuries the first 2 years of his tenure?)

M Bison

Supports
York City
Feels like we’ve a load that just don’t fancy it, same thing has happened with other managers, can’t be a coincidence.

Manager will get potted and then this lot will do the same to the next manager and we’ll find another scapegoat.

Weak.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
...Plus mcT who could fill in. Everyone claiming it is overtraining. I seriously struggle to believe our training sessions are anywhere near as intense as city, arsenal and liverpool's training considering how much energy they expend game after game especially when compared to us.

Hopefully it's growing pains needed to get us up to the levels of other teams intensity wise (didn't klopp's liverpool get a load of injuries the first 2 years of his tenure?)
First year, yes. Second year, no. We’re trending in the wrong direction. Worse in season two than season one.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Feels like we’ve a load that just don’t fancy it, same thing has happened with other managers, can’t be a coincidence.

Manager will get potted and then this lot will do the same to the next manager and we’ll find another scapegoat.

Weak.
Martial has hardly rushed back has he knowing he's leaving. Probably same for Varane aswell.

justsomebloke

Who knows. If it isn't, it's insanely bad luck.

cyril C

The CB's didn't play a huge amount of football as such. Not more than most anyway.

Varane missed games through injury, Martinez practically had the world cup off. Obviously Evans and Kambwala didn't play a lot. Maguire and Lindelof weren't first choice.

Number of games can't explain these injuries.
Try "No of games with the same 11".

Martinez played until his foot broke. Casemiro and Varane were smart ass, managed to get a few days off here and there.

Maguire and Lindelof were hardly used last season, this season are forced to play due to lack of cover. In fact, had Varane and Martinez been available, these 2 probably scratch their balls every game.

stevoc

Weak.
Which players?

tomaldinho1

Weak.
This was my thought as well. Other managers have had this issue and we run less/sprint less than the better teams who have way less injuries than us.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Just need to get on with it. All completely normal and part of football. Other teams have injuries.
if we completely ignore the fact this has been all season long

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Just need to get on with it. All completely normal and part of football. Other teams have injuries.
if we completely ignore the fact this has been all season long

Do you not think that it’s possible that this managers training sessions are causing all these training ground injuries?

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Do you not think that it’s possible that this managers training sessions are causing all these training ground injuries?
Possibly but he’s already said we mainly recover in a lot of sessions.

I also think that there are certain levels player absolutely have to be at to be elite.

If players can’t cope with those levels then they need replacing.

stevoc

I also think that there are certain levels player absolutely have to be at to be elite.

So basically Ten Hag says his training methods aren't the cause?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
99 minute high intensity games that we fail to kill off. Lack of rotation. Lack of tactical nous has us running around like blue arse flies to compensate. Over training. Crap facilities. Old players, especially at the back. Slow players, especially at the back. Shaw's leg.

It's lots of things really.
Yeah. I also think last season is taking its toll, we barely rotated which was considered so awesome because ‘these fecking players’ got to see how tough football can be but it inevitably led to them being more susceptible to injuries.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
So basically Ten Hag says his training methods aren't the cause?
Most managers say the same too. Klopp has said similar.

Most managers will blame the heavy fixture schedule and how competitive the league is.

You can’t afford to have players that aren’t elite athletes any more.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

So we basically come back to ‘these fecking players’ being at fault here, as we always do.

stevoc

Most managers say the same too. Klopp has said similar.

Most managers will blame the heavy fixture schedule and how competitive the league is.

You can’t afford to have players that aren’t elite athletes any more.
Yeah because obviously they won't blame themselves if they know/suspect they might be at fault.

Chumpsbechumps

We once went away to Wolfsburg with a back 4 of Park, Fletcher, Carrick and Evra.

https://www.skysports.com/football/wolfsburg-vs-manchester-united/teams/122068

We regularly had defensive injury crises under SAF and one time under Van Gaal that I can remember.
That season we didn’t have as bad injuries to be fair. Including subs, the following in the league

evra 28
Vidic 33
Rio 24
O shea 20
rafael 12
Evans 16
Neville 13
Brown 6

Evra , Vidic and Rio available for over 60% of the games. And there weren’t terrible options when starters were injured.

I can’t remember an entire season this bad and there weren’t terrible

we beat Arsenal in 2016 with a back of Varela, Blind, Carrick, and Rojo
LVG did have a bad season to be fair with injuries but he had a settled GK and a CB available for 35 games and a full back for 24. ETH had Dalot.

stevoc

That season we didn’t have as bad injuries to be fair. Including subs, the following in the league

evra 28
Vidic 33
Rio 24
O shea 20
rafael 12
Evans 16
Neville 13
Brown 6

Evra , Vidic and Rio available for over 60% of the games. And there weren’t terrible options when starters were injured.

I can’t remember an entire season this bad and there weren’t terrible

LVG did have a bad season to be fair with injuries but he had a settled GK and a CB available for 35 games and a full back for 24. ETH had Dalot.
Never said that season was as bad to be fair.

Chumpsbechumps

Yeah because obviously they won't blame themselves if they know/suspect they might be at fault.
Of course they wouldn’t blame themselves , but that doesn’t mean it’s their fault.

If it’s training and ETH is judged to be at fault I don’t see any club hiring him. So I’d imagine it’s maybe somewhat his fault or mostly not his fault.

There’s a lot you guys have on ETH that will probably see him out the door but you can’t be sure injuries are his fault (particularly as other clubs are having a lot of injuries).

As others have said, last season was gruelling, nobody seems to be talking about the WC in the middle which probably is playing a huge role. A lot of players are getting injured in the league , United moreso probably because we were drained last season like pool the season before. I’d say our squad has just been knackered most of this season like poole last season.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
So we basically come back to ‘these fecking players’ being at fault here, as we always do.
Well yeah? But that doesn’t make it any less valid and observation.

For example I don’t think any of us could argue Martial is a “these fecking players” scenario and that Bruno when it comes to injuries clearly isn’t.

So where you draw that line for each player is very personal but there could be loads going on that we don’t know.

I look at the articles surrounding the care of Malacia from the medical teams for example.
So what exactly do you want then?

Take it really easy all the time in training and your fitness level will never be elite.

The issue is the more injuries you get the more the issues compound because then any kind of rotation is out of the question and everyone is under pressure to play with x,y,z issue (which all players do in all clubs)

stevoc

Of course they wouldn’t blame themselves , but that doesn’t mean it’s their fault.

If it’s training and ETH is judged to be at fault I don’t see any club hiring him. So I’d imagine it’s maybe somewhat his fault or mostly not his fault.

There’s a lot you guys have on ETH that will probably see him out the door but you can’t be sure injuries are his fault (particularly as other clubs are having a lot of injuries).

As others have said, last season was gruelling, nobody seems to be talking about the WC in the middle which probably is playing a huge role. A lot of players are getting injured in the league , United moreso probably because we were drained last season like pool the season before. I’d say our squad has just been knackered most of this season like poole last season.
No and to my knowledge I've never actually claimed any injury crisis was a managers fault.

But as I said a manager will never blame themselves even if they do know/suspect it's their fault.

stevoc

So what exactly do you want then?

Take it really easy all the time in training and your fitness level will never be elite.

The issue is the more injuries you get the more the issues compound because then any kind of rotation is out of the question and everyone is under pressure to play with x,y,z issue (which all players do in all clubs)
Genuinely have no idea how my post generated this response.

I'm stating the obvious that managers won't ever blame their own methods even if they know/suspect their methods are the reason for injuries. My post implied nothing beyond that.

stevoc

So why bring up one game ? You implied “Ferguson dealt with bad injuries” but bad injuries for a short period is nothing like a season of them
I was replying to someone asking have we ever had to play a patched up back 4 before with no fit centrebacks.

I said Ferguson regulalry had to deal with defensive injury crises. That's a fact.

What is your point exactly?

Chumpsbechumps

I was replying to someone asking have we ever had to play a patched up back 4 before with no fit centrebacks.

I said Ferguson regulalry had to deal with defensive injury crises. That's a fact.

What is your point exactly?
My point was simple. A patchwork team for a couple of games is nothing like what we’ve seen this season.

Your posts are implying that good managers deal with this sort of stuff all the time. They don’t because I can’t this sort of chronic injuries at United.

I don’t know if you are intentionally obtuse or genuinely just not sure why your posts simply look like just another chance for you to take a pop at ETH.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The fact that people are still making excuses for ETH is maddening!

He and his staff had a whole season to mitigate not only the injuries but ALSO that hole in the middle of our midfield. Nope, nothing was done.
How out of interest do you "mitigate" 6 central defenders being out at the same time?

Todd

During the City match the other day, it was mentioned that Pep currently has all 25 of his preferred squad players fit and available.

If that doesn't put into perspective how bad things have become for us this season I don't know what will.

SER19

There needs to be sackings. Its not a normal level of injury and mister 'marginal gains' and his team need to figure it out