Gaming Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5)

Anyone recommend an online retailer which delivers early?

Always switched around between TheGameCollection and Shopto they used to always get it to me a day early, i've been stuck in the digital world (PC games) for ages so its been a long while since i got a physical release.

I've had early deliveries from Base as well as those you named.

it's kinda dumb that the ps4 version is cheaper and you then get a free ps5 update. It really fecks over people who have a ps5.

it's kinda dumb that the ps4 version is cheaper and you then get a free ps5 update. It really fecks over people who have a ps5.
I had to check the store because I almost couldn't believe this. I still have my PS4 lying around, what's to stop me from logging into that one, buying the PS4 version on PSN and then switching back to my PS5 to save €10? If I understand it correctly, I'd get exactly the same version as when I'd buy the more expensive PS5 one. Seems weird.

Edit: I'm making it even harder than it should be, on the web version of the PS store you can just choose whatever version you want to buy.

Edit edit: And now I'm confused. https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...lectors-and-digital-deluxe-editions-detailed/

For players looking to have access to both the PS4 & PS5 versions of Horizon Forbidden West, please purchase the Digital Deluxe, Collector’s, or Regalla Editions. Dual entitlement does not apply to the standard and Special Editions.

So the free upgrade doesn't really exist after all?? Of those three options, the Digital Deluxe edition is the cheapest at €89.99.

Last edited:
I had to check the store because I almost couldn't believe this. I still have my PS4 lying around, what's to stop me from logging into that one, buying the PS4 version on PSN and then switching back to my PS5 to save €10? If I understand it correctly, I'd get exactly the same version as when I'd buy the more expensive PS5 one. Seems weird.

Edit: I'm making it even harder than it should be, on the web version of the PS store you can just choose whatever version you want to buy.
I think if you still have both consoles you can do that. I only have a ps5 now and I think you have to play the ps4 version on a ps4 first to become eligible for the upgrade or something, it's fecking dumb.

I think if you still have both consoles you can do that. I only have a ps5 now and I think you have to play the ps4 version on a ps4 first to become eligible for the upgrade or something, it's fecking dumb.
Wait really? I was planning on buying the PS4 version and just upgrading to the PS5 for free. Can’t I do that?

They have made it stupidly difficult and complicated. Should have just followed MS’ strategy.

Wait really? I was planning on buying the PS4 version and just upgrading to the PS5 for free. Can’t I do that?

They have made it stupidly difficult and complicated. Should have just followed MS’ strategy.
I guess I'm wrong, these articles say you can. I don't understand how Sony would allow that. Why would anyone bother with the ps5 version? :lol:

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-forbidden-west-preorders-ps4-ps5-save-10-dollars
https://www.laptopmag.com/news/how-to-get-horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-cheap

Anyone recommend an online retailer which delivers early?

Always switched around between TheGameCollection and Shopto they used to always get it to me a day early, i've been stuck in the digital world (PC games) for ages so its been a long while since i got a physical release.

Why would you get a physical release this time, though? I guess if you play a lot of different games on your PS4/PS5 and need the space, or have a poor connection, but I'm definitely going digital here.

They got themselves into a muddle - I think originally they were going to charge a £10 upgrade fee but they’d previously promised it would be free.
It was even worse than that, you couldn't do the £10 upgrade, you had to flat out buy the ps5 version. That's why they reneged so hard.

Just downloading HZD now, gonna give it another chance and see if I can get into it before the sequel.

I think you really need to get around 5-8 hours into it before it opens up properly. It took me a few goes to get into it, but once I did I couldn't put it down.

I think you really need to get around 5-8 hours into it before it opens up properly. It took me a few goes to get into it, but once I did I couldn't put it down.
I’m newly single after 12 years of limited gaming time. Gloves are off now so I can put some serious time into the titles that have slipped me by. HZD and the Witcher 3 top the list.

I’m newly single after 12 years of limited gaming time. Gloves are off now so I can put some serious time into the titles that have slipped me by. HZD and the Witcher 3 top the list.

Christ, Witcher 3 made me not see the outside world apart from work for months on end :lol: what a game, I just restarted it the other day because I was missing it :lol:

Sounds perfect.

I get the same with Skyrim, I miss it and keep going back in. All my mates keep blasting on at me for not getting far in the Witcher.

I'd probably hold off on the Witcher till you do the horizon games, hopefully by then it has the ps5 upgrade :drool:

I really want to play this on PS5, but I doubt I'll magically get one of them in the next weeks. Will I be strong enough to not go for the PS4 version?

Why would you get a physical release this time, though? I guess if you play a lot of different games on your PS4/PS5 and need the space, or have a poor connection, but I'm definitely going digital here.

Because Sony are stupid and price digital stuff more expensive then a physical version, the whole idea behind digital was to lower prices as there was no physical product involved.

Because Sony are stupid and price digital stuff more expensive then a physical version, the whole idea behind digital was to lower prices as there was no physical product involved.
The cost of the game is in its development - I doubt costs attributed to the actual physical products are overly high.

The cost of the game is in its development - I doubt costs attributed to the actual physical products are overly high.

Digital games should be cheaper then physical there’s no if’s but’s or maybe

I still haven't played the DLC for the original game yet (Frozen Wilds I think it's called). Got it for free ages ago as part of PlayStation's stay-at-home thing they did. May have to give it a go.

I played around 30-40% then stopped. The world had opened up completely but it just got repetitive with the story not really doing much.

Everybody wants a cut and there's a number of players involved in the distribution piece. Plus, there's the preowned element - 10 years ago a big chunk of games were bought second-hand and the developer/publisher would make no money from resale. With digital, that doesn't happen. I guess you do get a % of people who gameshare but I imagine that's a fairly small number.

Why is it a ps4 game also? Doent that mean they're not maximising what they can achieve with this ps5 game? As in for example a ps2 game wouldn't have looked anything like the same on the ps1. (Or ps3 down to ps2)
The next one up should be another dimension in terms of graphics, the old system should therefore become obsolete....no?
Also the trailer I saw on TV today didn't look as good as the teaser that was going around at the start of this thread months ago..

Why is it a ps4 game also? Doent that mean they're not maximising what they can achieve with this ps5 game? As in for example a ps2 game wouldn't have looked anything like the same on the ps1. (Or ps3 down to ps2)
The next one up should be another dimension in terms of graphics, the old system should therefore become obsolete....no?
Also the trailer I saw on TV today didn't look as good as the teaser that was going around at the start of this thread months ago..

Because they'll get more sales due to being cross gen. Especially since getting your hands on a ps5 is still difficult.

Your TV is a worse display than your phone/computer.

Because they'll get more sales due to being cross gen. Especially since getting your hands on a ps5 is still difficult.

Your TV is a worse display than your phone/computer.
So it'll be another slightly tweaked ps4 game like my miles morales game. Great a game that's slightly better looking than the previous gen.
And I'm watching on my phone. The gameplay looks ps4 to me, unlike ratchet, although not my sort of game. Shame.

I know about the supply issue but this never as I can remember happened in the past. They made shit loads and made the games to maximise the hardware/software and we moved on. Massively disappointed in the ps5 for this reason thus far.
The free game built in was the best graphics I've ever seen still.

Has this complaining come about because Sony have become so successful with producing these great single player story driven narrative games and now peoples expectations are really high?

I never hear these complaints about other hardware where its debatable that they have very similar calibre of games available since launch.

More of a random thought then any substance to it.

Has this complaining come about because Sony have become so successful with producing these great single player story driven narrative games and now peoples expectations are really high?

I never hear these complaints about other hardware where its debatable that they have very similar calibre of games available since launch.

More of a random thought then any substance to it.
Yea no its because after 10 years you expect the next console to look a lot better than its predecessor. Early days I guess but it's a shame that market forces are seemingly holding the ps5 back.

Yea no its because after 10 years you expect the next console to look a lot better than its predecessor. Early days I guess but it's a shame that market forces are seemingly holding the ps5 back.

We're at a graphical plateu now. There will be slight improvements but the graphical jumps from PS1 to PS2 are long gone now. Adjust your expectations or you'll forever be disappointed.

So it'll be another slightly tweaked ps4 game like my miles morales game. Great a game that's slightly better looking than the previous gen.
And I'm watching on my phone. The gameplay looks ps4 to me, unlike ratchet, although not my sort of game. Shame.
I'm not sure what you would've expected from the gameplay, it's a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn after all. If you loved that game, you'll love this one.

They're not going to not have the sequel to a game that sold 10m+ copies as a ps5 exclusive, especially when it's still so hard for people to get a ps5. I don't really see the problem anyway, if they optimise the graphics and implement proper dual sense and 3d sound for it then what's the issue?

Really hope they nail the haptics for the bow. The bow haptics on Astrobot were brilliant and really added to the feeling of pulling the bow back. If Horizon can do that it will feel great on PS5.

We're at a graphical plateu now. There will be slight improvements but the graphical jumps from PS1 to PS2 are long gone now. Adjust your expectations or you'll forever be disappointed.
The graphics on astrobot are amazing

They're not going to not have the sequel to a game that sold 10m+ copies as a ps5 exclusive, especially when it's still so hard for people to get a ps5. I don't really see the problem anyway, if they optimise the graphics and implement proper dual sense and 3d sound for it then what's the issue?
I guess people are just curious/itching for what a true AAA open world ps5 game could look and play like. Horizon has to be able to run on hardware from 2013 that was even underpowered back then so it probably bugs some people who shelled out 500 euro for their next gen console that they are still awaiting that next gen experience? (if Ratchet didn't interest them I guess)

I guess people are just curious/itching for what a true AAA open world ps5 game could look and play like. Horizon has to be able to run on hardware from 2013 that was even underpowered back then so it probably bugs some people who shelled out 500 euro for their next gen console that they are still awaiting that next gen experience? (if Ratchet didn't interest them I guess)
Ratchet isn't even proper "next gen". They only got a PS5 dev kit six months before release!

I don't really know what the issue is. What even is next gen now? The main pull of these consoles is 4k/60fps output, ray tracing, dual sense and 3d sound - Horizon will have all of those things.