Gaming Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5)

Yes, though I'd suggest a couple of changes. Most importantly, allow me to check what piece the opponent put on the board before having to put down one of my own. To me, they are nowhere near distinguishable enough to tell which piece is which and even if I could tell them apart at a glance, I don't remember their capabilities off the top of my head.

If there is a way and I'm too stupid to have noticed then let me know. I know I can check the opponent's set before the game starts but I'm talking about when you actually put the pieces down on the board.
Yeah I get what you mean. I haven’t found a way to check that.
I have also only done beginners ones so far so maybe it gets a lot harder.

Yeah I get what you mean. I haven’t found a way to check that.
I have also only done beginners ones so far so maybe it gets a lot harder.

I was doing well until I played a "skilled" player. The fecker only used two pieces and still beat me. Had to round up a few more pieces to my collection before facing him again.

I was doing well until I played a "skilled" player. The fecker only used two pieces and still beat me. Had to round up a few more pieces to my collection before facing him again.
It's a shame that the 'swarm them with trash units' strategy isn't viable, because of the two moves per round restriction and the victory points system.

It's a shame that the 'swarm them with trash units' strategy isn't viable, because of the two moves per round restriction and the victory points system.

Yeah it definitely makes you have to plan your moves more carefully. It's a great little addition to the game though.

I done the poseidon quest before the other 2, I guessed what reward I may get from its name and as I'd died like that earlier, I wanted it.

Just done the broken sky / kulrut one, those characters are class, Hekkaro and his Marshall.

Everyone enjoying this so far? Pros? Cons?
It’s very good. They’ve built on the first game well and basically made an improved version that addresses a lot of the flaws. Wouldn’t call it a classic but easily an 8 or 9.

cons so far are that the start is very slow and needlessly drip feeds you and that Aloy is often an unnecessary guide with her narrating.

oh and it’s beautiful on the ps5!

Everyone enjoying this so far? Pros? Cons?
Yeah its really good. Map is huge which I am fine with but is bigger than I was expecting and I really want to get stuck into Elden Ring. Starting to wish I had delayed Horizon

Same thing happened when part 1 came out and then Zelda BOTW about a week after that too

The damn Relic puzzles though... the one time I'd appreciate Aloy giving me a little nudge, she shuts up.

Yeah its really good. Map is huge which I am fine with but is bigger than I was expecting and I really want to get stuck into Elden Ring. Starting to wish I had delayed Horizon

Same thing happened when part 1 came out and then Zelda BOTW about a week after that too

Exactly why I picked up Sifu instead. I knew that would tide me over perfectly until Elden Ring and I could come back to this further down the road.

I have to say so far I'm much more into the story than the previous game.

I just did the bit where you save the Minerva subfunction of GAIA and I thought it was a great twist that the earlier met strangers were descendants of the Far Zenith humans. When I first met them, I didn't have a clue who they might be so that is a nice step for me. Very interested to see where this storyline goes now as it's certainly much more Sci-Fi focussed.

I'm really enjoying this game as I try and fly through the last few missions before Elden Ring is delivered.

Guerilla have had no luck with either Horizon release, with each preceding a bigger and better game.

Any other year this would likely go down as GoTY.

I'm really enjoying this game as I try and fly through the last few missions before Elden Ring is delivered.

Guerilla have had no luck with either Horizon release, with each preceding a bigger and better game.

From what I've seen Horizon looks a far better open world game than elden ring. Better graphics, more engaging world, actual quests and not just "here's a new boss" every 10 minutes. I think I'd struggle going from horizons dynamic combat to elden rings slow methodical dodge and slash repeat shtick.

From what I've seen Horizon looks a far better open world game than elden ring. Better graphics, more engaging world, actual quests and not just "here's a new boss" every 10 minutes. I think I'd struggle going from horizons dynamic combat to elden rings slow methodical dodge and slash repeat shtick.

They're completely different games, but give me Elden Ring's world any day.

As much as I've enjoyed exploring the Forbidden West, it quickly becomes a case of following map markers and ticking off tasks. Elden Ring's world feel more organic and in true FromSoft style they don't hold your hand at all and leave all the exploration to the player.

The combat in FromSoft games is the best in class and not really comparable to Horizon which is going for its own style. It's great and enjoyable but does have a bit of a paint by numbers approach with individual enemies having its own elemental weakness. From games give you the agency to forge out your own style, it doesn't have to he all swords and shields.

Ah look, the first was one of the PS4's biggest selling games and is generally regarded as one of the best. I don't think they'll mind too much. it is funny how it came out so close to two of the highest rated OWG's ever though!

Ah look, the first was one of the PS4's biggest selling games and is generally regarded as one of the best. I don't think they'll mind too much. it is funny how it came out so close to two of the highest rated OWG's ever though!

I don't doubt their impact, they just have always been overshadowed shortly after release. Forbidden West improved on Zero Dawn massively, but already the community have moved on from it. Elden Ring is the new hotness.

I'm sure if a DLC is released it'll get its time back in the spotlight. It's just been very unfortunate timing both times they released.

Only now realize you can change your mount. I'm 30 hours into it. So I switched to the clawstrder. I think I can get the Sunwing to be able to fly now. I think.

I don't doubt their impact, they just have always been overshadowed shortly after release. Forbidden West improved on Zero Dawn massively, but already the community have moved on from it. Elden Ring is the new hotness.

I'm sure if a DLC is released it'll get its time back in the spotlight. It's just been very unfortunate timing both times they released.
Does the causal gamer like Soulsesque games though. The very vocal online community is eating it up but is the average gamer really prepared to put in 20 hours of dying repeatedly before they "git gud"

I'm only three hours into Elden Ring and 30 hours into HFW but the problem the latter has is that it's story and pacing is extremely bloated and irritating at times in the way it's told. The immediacy and the darker elements of Elden Ring's world could possibly work more in it's favour because I literally have no idea what I'm going to find in terms of the types of enemies or threats or even environments I come across. In Horizon it's just going to be another fetch quest where Aloy is the saviour yet again. It's way more beautiful but it's more predictable.

It's hard to describe but aside from prettiness I'm far less convinced by HFW's world in terms of what's actually there as opposed to Elden Ring's weirdness and horror elements.

Does the causal gamer like Soulsesque games though. The very vocal online community is eating it up but is the average gamer really prepared to put in 20 hours of dying repeatedly before they "git gud"

Well at one point this series didn't have a ready made community and built it from scratch, which was based solely on its gameplay and world building.

The idea that you die constantly is overblown. The game is difficult, but always fair. If you died, 99% of the time it was your fault, and it conditions you to learn from your mistakes. The feeling it gives you when you eventually overcome a boss or area that has caused you problems is unparalleled.

The argument that the game is "20 hours of you dying repeatedly" is usually an argument made by those who haven't played it, or haven't given them enough time to learn the nuances of them.

The community around the Soulsborne games is far from a vocal minority now either. The genre has become synonymous with games in recent years, and FromSoft were the pioneers and are still best in class when it comes to the genre.

Compare that to Horizon. A game I have thoroughly enjoyed, but one that isn't without its issues. The combat is great, but you may find at times it's unfair. You may enter a Cauldron and not have enough resources to beat an enemies elemental weakness, they the game becomes a slog as you whittle it down, often getting killed in the process.

If you're looking at Elden Ring and thinking you should stay away because of your misgivings, I really recommend ignoring that voice that is telling you they're too hard. Either way both games are excellent and you will be happy with whichever you choose to play.

Well at one point this series didn't have a ready made community and built it from scratch, which was based solely on its gameplay and world building.

The idea that you die constantly is overblown. The game is difficult, but always fair. If you died, 99% of the time it was your fault, and it conditions you to learn from your mistakes. The feeling it gives you when you eventually overcome a boss or area that has caused you problems is unparalleled.

The argument that the game is "20 hours of you dying repeatedly" is usually an argument made by those who haven't played it, or haven't given them enough time to learn the nuances of them.

The community around the Soulsborne games is far from a vocal minority now either. The genre has become synonymous with games in recent years, and FromSoft were the pioneers and are still best in class when it comes to the genre.

Compare that to Horizon. A game I have thoroughly enjoyed, but one that isn't without its issues. The combat is great, but you may find at times it's unfair. You may enter a Cauldron and not have enough resources to beat an enemies elemental weakness, they the game becomes a slog as you whittle it down, often getting killed in the process.

If you're looking at Elden Ring and thinking you should stay away because of your misgivings, I really recommend ignoring that voice that is telling you they're too hard. Either way both games are excellent and you will be happy with whichever you choose to play.
Say what you will but Horizon has outsold every Fromsoft game right?

Playing this on an OLED in resolution mode on PS5 and holy fcuk is it gorgeous.

The tutorial level was kinda noisy, visually, and I wasnt impressed by the overall image quality but once you get to the Daunt it really shines.

Wish HDR wasnt so finicky. Seems impossible to find the correct values.
Resolution mode is definitely an improvement, if you're looking for it, but there's no way that I could play at 30 frames for such a small fidelity buff.

This may help with your OLED tweaks. Just changed mine and it seems much better on my LG C1.

Resolution mode is definitely an improvement, if you're looking for it, but there's no way that I could play at 30 frames for such a small fidelity buff.

This may help with your OLED tweaks. Just changed mine and it seems much better on my LG C1.

I dont mind TPS games at 30fps. I find it an easy adjusment going from Doom Eternal on my PC at 120fps to Horizon FW's 30fps no problem.

Thanks for the video!

If you're looking at Elden Ring and thinking you should stay away because of your misgivings, I really recommend ignoring that voice that is telling you they're too hard
. Either way both games are excellent and you will be happy with whichever you choose to play.
I do love FS games but there's no doubt they still aren't for everyone. I managed managed convince my brother to get Elden Ring a go as he hasn't played a single one. But I'm fully aware of the type of gamer he is and that at the end of the day not everyone wants to get their ass handed to them repeatedly for that payoff. Let's not ignore the fact that from a different kind of gamers' perspective, the intrigue, tension and pure satisfaction that we may value is overshadowed but the lack of narrative / high difficulty / non fluid combat for many others.

Finished the game. I was hesitant I wouldn’t like it after the first one and immediately I was hooked. I wasn’t expecting the story to go that way and I really liked the direction. Thought it would be another tribe vs tribe crap and that’s why I wasn’t that much interested in the 1st one. The story became far more interesting this time around. The animation of the characters and even the side quest people are insanely detailed. Feels like they didn’t hold anything back and gave it everything they could. The world is beautiful to look at. And the Robot machines are brilliant as always albeit annoying as feck to fight. But that’s the point. Game was flawless for me for the most part. No graphical problems on the PS5 except one part when I was in the first cauldron area, it was kinda lagging. I Restarted my PS5 and problem solved, didn’t have any issues after that. Kinda wish I could ride more machines but the Clawstrider was cool to use, watching it attack like a fire breathing Raptor was awesome. Charger, Bristleback and the Stider are all you can ride. The game is a brilliant spectacle. The things they added in were great and the expanded so much already instead of taking away what was in the 1st game. I kinda wished there were more Tallnecks to climb which I really enjoyed before. Even though they were a little annoying in this game having to solve how to do it rather then climb it like an AT-AT hah. I’m really looking forward to the next Horizon. Can’t wait to see what they do with this one. There’s not much negatively to say about it other then nitpicking. I’ll give it a 9/10.

Finished the game. I was hesitant I wouldn’t like it after the first one and immediately I was hooked. I wasn’t expecting the story to go that way and I really liked the direction. Thought it would be another tribe vs tribe crap and that’s why I wasn’t that much interested in the 1st one. The story became far more interesting this time around. The animation of the characters and even the side quest people are insanely detailed. Feels like they didn’t hold anything back and gave it everything they could. The world is beautiful to look at. And the Robot machines are brilliant as always albeit annoying as feck to fight. But that’s the point. Game was flawless for me for the most part. No graphical problems on the PS5 except one part when I was in the first cauldron area, it was kinda lagging. I Restarted my PS5 and problem solved, didn’t have any issues after that. Kinda wish I could ride more machines but the Clawstrider was cool to use, watching it attack like a fire breathing Raptor was awesome. Charger, Bristleback and the Stider are all you can ride. The game is a brilliant spectacle. The things they added in were great and the expanded so much already instead of taking away what was in the 1st game. I kinda wished there were more Tallnecks to climb which I really enjoyed before. Even though they were a little annoying in this game having to solve how to do it rather then climb it like an AT-AT hah. I’m really looking forward to the next Horizon. Can’t wait to see what they do with this one. There’s not much negatively to say about it other then nitpicking. I’ll give it a 9/10.

I’ve just about finished it as well and nearly got the platinum for it too. Really enjoyed it too.

I wonder if they will release a DLC expansion like what they did with the The Frozen Wilds in the 1st game?

I’ve just about finished it as well and nearly got the platinum for it too. Really enjoyed it too.

I wonder if they will release a DLC expansion like what they did with the The Frozen Wilds in the 1st game?
There's definitely already talks of a DLC coming sometime. Looking forward to that. Yeah I might go for the platinum myself. Seems easy to get.

I'd say without a shadow of a doubt. There is also the VR game that is launching with the PSVR2.

Started playing this earlier today and I've just reached what feels like the proper beginning of the adventure. Once again I think they probably started off too slowly - not nearly as slowly as the first game but still enough that it doesn't necessarily make the greatest initial impression. The first couple of hours feel a little too limited and while the (let's call it) tutorial area looks good visually, it's so closed in that it doesn't do the game justice in my opinion.

Anyway that's just some mild criticism out of the way. It took me a good 10-15 hours to really get going in the first game and I ended up loving that one, so not a big issue. Now that it has opened up a bit more, it looks absolutely stunning, like no other game before it really. Can't wait to start exploring over the next couple of days.

I doubt I'm that far in (hint: Varl kiss) but this game is getting better and better, it's so polished. Wasn't really expecting this level of polish tbh.... Just a shame I don't have much time to play right now!

I doubt I'm that far in (hint: Varl kiss) but this game is getting better and better, it's so polished. Wasn't really expecting this level of polish tbh.... Just a shame I don't have much time to play right now!
I'm at exactly the same spot, mate. Saved at that settlement last night before going to bed.

That last section kinda came out of left-field! Is it just me or was the female in that group played by Carrie-Anne Moss? *Edit* - Just checked and it is!

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Having played ZD again last week, the difference is huge. The game is so much more fleshed out in pretty much every way and it craps all over its predecessor....and I thought ZD was very good!

I'm at exactly the same spot, mate. Saved at that settlement last night before going to bed.

That last section kinda came out of left-field! Is it just me or was the female in that group played by Carrie-Anne Moss? *Edit* - Just checked and it is!

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Having played ZD again last week, the difference is huge. The game is so much more fleshed out in pretty much every way and it craps all over its predecessor....and I thought ZD was very good!
Can I just say... That guy was fecking OP! Pretty much invincible. He's on the list now, I'll be back for him...