Gaming Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5)

I actually fired up the old game last night to have a play, to remind myself what it was like. I think it was enough to make me wait to pick this game up cheap down the line. While I'm sure FW is an improvement on the first game, I remember getting quite frustrated at a lot of things first time round. At the very least I'll wait til we get some longer term reviews before deciding (reviews based on a weeks play are never ideal)

I think I might wait. I've got like 15 games that I bought and haven't played yet. Well, if you go far enough back there are probably dozens. I'll wait for the better experience.
you do that while I play it on my ps5, i'll let you know how I get on.

Thats just the disgusting realisation of how truly awful 30fps is any game you can switch them on the fly instantly shows just how dreadful it is. :lol:
Since getting a PS5, I never want to go back to 30fps again. It feels awful in comparison to 60. I watched the Digital Foundry tech review, and they said that they played the game in quality mode. The hit to image quality was too much for them in performance mode. I can't imagine the downgrade being so bad that 30fps would be worthwhile. Especially in motion.

I got my copy today, but have to wait for the PS5 upgrade to download. Should be ready by about 9pm with my shit internet. :lol:

Played a couple of hours this morning, ended up sticking with performance mode. Quality mode is pretty juddery, like the motion blur is off or something.

The first boss is cool, but due to my lack of skill I just brute forced it. Also, looked a few times and never had the opportunity to manually save (though it said you would be able to at the beginning) and I don't trust rest mode.

There's a little jankiness and maybe bugs (points of interest don't always trigger Aloy's comments) but it's pretty good so far.

Regarding the last point, did you see any of the "boss" before actually running into them?

There was dialogue about seeing it "look at that" etc but I never caught a glimpse, it doesn't focus on important things they're talking about.

Played a couple of hours this morning, ended up sticking with performance mode. Quality mode is pretty juddery, like the motion blur is off or something.

The first boss is cool, but due to my lack of skill I just brute forced it. Also, looked a few times and never had the opportunity to manually save (though it said you would be able to at the beginning) and I don't trust rest mode.

There's a little jankiness and maybe bugs (points of interest don't always trigger Aloy's comments) but it's pretty good so far.

I agree, and I've been playing Cyberpunk this week at 30fps without much issue.

Regarding the last point, did you see any of the "boss" before actually running into them?

There was dialogue about seeing it "look at that" etc but I never caught a glimpse, it doesn't focus on important things they're talking about.

There were a couple shots where the boss was essentially front and center, I can't imagine having missed it tbh.

I agree, and I've been playing Cyberpunk this week at 30fps without much issue.

If you start a game at 30fps and you can't change it on the fly you will adapt to it, in games where you can change them on the fly it will show you just how drastic the difference is.

I assure you there isn't any extra judder its just the stark contrast between the two modes when you are able to switch so quickly.

If you played Cyberpunk at 60 then flicked to how your playing it now the effect would be the same.

It's also the reason you used to always get loads of people saying 30fps is fine same applies to playing games at 120fps then switching to 60 its just as drastic.

I'm hopeless with understanding the technical claptrap of games but this is fecking gorgeous in my eyes. Camera has been a bit jerky at times but the world is very beautiful and i'm only an hour in.

It's very pretty, but they should let us adjust shite like motion blur and the sharpness on consoles. Some of the more intensive stuff I get, but with the power these machines have there's no reason not to let certain things be adjustable.

It's proper like the PC release of 1 at first though, it's really not optimised well. Performance mode makes way too many concessions than necessary, I've only seen it for a few minutes and it seems incredibly lazy. I'm sure that'll be patched though.

It's very pretty, but they should let us adjust shite like motion blur and the sharpness on consoles. Some of the more intensive stuff I get, but with the power these machines have there's no reason not to let certain things be adjustable.

It's proper like the PC release of 1 at first though, it's really not optimised well. Performance mode makes way too many concessions than necessary, I've only seen it for a few minutes and it seems incredibly lazy. I'm sure that'll be patched though.

You can mess with the motion blur can't you? Think it's only off, default, or high though.

I've played a bit now and I feel it's gone a bit backwards in some ways, adding filler moves to waste a bit of extra time.

The whole ropecaster thing to pull doors or whatever open is just old and boring now.

Moving crates so you can reach high ledges? Yeah that's also massively boring. Never liked it in any game.

Hopefully it fades out as the game goes on.

You can mess with the motion blur can't you? Think it's only off, default, or high though.

Off isn't fully off for some bizarre reason. They did that for TLOU2 to still hide some problems, so maybe it will be fixed when they patch. As it does need plenty of work still.

The sharpness bothers me more, it's way too high. Still it's very pretty and much more responsive than the first, so that's a decent start.

I've played a bit now and I feel it's gone a bit backwards in some ways, adding filler moves to waste a bit of extra time.

The whole ropecaster thing to pull doors or whatever open is just old and boring now.

Moving crates so you can reach high ledges? Yeah that's also massively boring. Never liked it in any game.

Hopefully it fades out as the game goes on.

No idea why you still need crates, she jumps about 20ft high!

My copy didn’t arrive :(

I tried to tell my missus hers didn't, but the b-itch was watching her ps5 account all day and saw when I installed it :(

I pity people who give a feck about fps. Silly graphic whores.

Get new eyes, gramps.

Get new eyes, gramps.
I'm playing Suikoden 2 and some of the magic spells drop the game to like 5 fps. Looks charming :wenger:

I admit it's shite in competitive fighting games, but I mostly play rubbish looking old games anyway.

Also, anyone else struggling to see loot and things on this game, things don't seem contrasted against each other enough. Very strange. Forced to constantly use the focus and even then you've gotta strain your eyeballs like you're a cartoon character.

It’s nice to play an open world game with so much colour that’s the first thing that comes to mind.

There’s definitely a Vaseline like blurryness to the image in the 60fps mode the implementation of the Upscaling technique is nowhere near as clean as Ratchet or spiderman was using

Got this for bf for valentines day, I'm allowed to play the boring parts...

It's very very pretty! Some of the scenery almost looks like TV, the water is great

About 45 minutes so far, the scenery is stunning.

I ended up having my own playthrough on zero dawn as it was enjoyable, until I got cross as I couldn't clear a bit

I'm not a serious gamer more dabble, is it me or is the ps5 controller insanely sensitive? I keep inadvertently catching the aim button by mistake

Played about an hour or so. Game looks good, the colour palette is brilliant, and I’m so utterly bored.

I pity people who give a feck about fps. Silly graphic whores.
If anything, we're performance whores. The graphic whores are those who stick to quality mode and enjoy their insanely beautiful, ray traced slideshow.

I ended up caving and buying it. It looks lovely but yeh feel like I need to slog through this opening to get to the good stuff. Bit of a questionable design choice. I think the gameplay feels sharper than last time though so I’m hoping that will make a tangible difference once I get into the combat proper.

Isnt performance mode 1800p/60fps?

I mean, I find anything over 1440p to be acceptable in terms of image quality so Im not understanding the complaints?

Unless its not actually 1800p but upscaled from 1080p?

Still cant imagine the PS5 cant do at least native 1440p/60fps on all games when my old ass GTX 1080ti can.

Isnt performance mode 1800p/60fps?

I mean, I find anything over 1440p to be acceptable in terms of image quality so Im not understanding the complaints?

Unless its not actually 1800p but upscaled from 1080p?

Still cant imagine the PS5 cant do at least native 1440p/60fps on all games when my old ass GTX 1080ti can.

Because it's not just about resolution. You play PC, you know better than that ;)

They'll optimise it I'm sure, but they seemingly basically switched everything to low and force a degree of blur which clearly impacts the look way more than any other game I can remember that let's you switch.

The full quality mode doesn't even hit 30 consistently enough though, so there's plenty of work for them to do. I fully expect both to be sorted as although it's a gorgeous looking game, it's really not that amazing in terms of what it's actually doing (a lot is down to the art style/colours and sharpness) that the PS5 can't push better.

The combat feels a lot crisper, even on Quality, which is a decent start. But I've been watching the missus play the opening and I agree with everyone, my word is it boring :boring:

The best part about getting to the open world is that Aloy stops constantly bombarding you with helpful tips about what to do.

Apart from that, I'm liking it so far. First 'boss battle' was a decent warm-up.

If anything, we're performance whores. The graphic whores are those who stick to quality mode and enjoy their insanely beautiful, ray traced slideshow.
Fair enough, id choose performance everytime as well, but games are hardly unplayable at 30 fps.

The best part about getting to the open world is that Aloy stops constantly bombarding you with helpful tips about what to do.

Apart from that, I'm liking it so far. First 'boss battle' was a decent warm-up.
Hope long is the tutorial level? I feel like I'm about to fight that big machine soon ...

Worth grabbing then? Presumably it just takes a few hours to liven up?

This looks and sounds great, even though it looks samey, but I'm gonna hold out for the time being.