View full 2016-17 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Protecting a player is the biggest load of bull I have seen in my life. The guy is a 27 year old, multiple captain, international footballer earning 100k per week. Why should an experienced pro need protection from the job he is paid to do? Critics is part of football. silencing critics is only done on the football pitch

Because at the end of the day, they're still humans and not machines.

So where are the posters who voted him MOTM against Fyenoord? Im interested in hearing some views on that
He was under a lot of pressure at the start of the game. All eyes on him, everyone eager for him to impress. He didn't go hiding, linked up really well with the forward players despite having feck all game time with them and was a constant threat. MOTM for me in the circumstances.

Protecting a player is the biggest load of bull I have seen in my life. The guy is a 27 year old, multiple captain, international footballer earning 100k per week. Why should an experienced pro need protection from the job he is paid to do? Critics is part of football. silencing critics is only done on the football pitch

Yeah because rich successful sports people don't ever have confidence issues or mental meltdowns.

When you say looked more confident, compared to what? Are you saying that yesterday, he looked more confident than when you saw him eating his chow mein in wings restaurant? or does he look fitter than when you saw him walking to Asda? because personally, I haven't seen nearly enough of him kicking a ball to suggest he has improved in all these areas. I just saw him in the stands since the "half of football" vs Man City and common sense dictates that a half of football is pretty meaningless. Many great players have had shite halves of football, even Zlatan.
So you've seen feck all of him, we've seen feck all of him, the only person who hasn't seen feck all of him is our manager. Perhaps, just maybe, we need to trust the man who has the inside track here instead of assuming our evidence of 'a half of football' is sufficient to determine whether or not he was in a position to play at the level required up until now.

He was under a lot of pressure at the start of the game. All eyes on him, everyone eager for him to impress. He didn't go hiding, linked up really well with the forward players despite having feck all game time with them and was a constant threat. MOTM for me in the circumstances.

I don't think it was overly surprising given the circs. A fair few media outlets has him as MOTM including the clubs official website.

Hmm so it was a sympathy MOTM vote for his brave performance in the face of the adversity he's been facing lately. He was lively but MOTM? Pogba was involved in almost every attack United launched, he has a better case. So does Rooney who was also lively but also got a goal and an assist, and Mata. Mkhitaryan did well, but he didn't even test the keeper. He had a blocked shot, a side net shot, a great run into space resulting in a freekick which should've seen the offender red carded and a few other lively moments of linkup play. A solid 7/10 performance but the other players I mentioned did more overall. Even Lingard forced two good saves and scored a goal in his cameo. Im excited for Mkhitaryan though and I hope he gets minutes on Sunday

Hmm so it was a sympathy MOTM vote for his brave performance in the face of the adversity he's been facing lately. He was lively but MOTM? Pogba was involved in almost every attack United launched, he has a better case. So does Rooney who was also lively but also got a goal and an assist, and Mata. Mkhitaryan did well, but he didn't even test the keeper. He had a blocked shot, a side net shot, a great run into space resulting in a freekick which should've seen the offender red carded and a few other lively moments of linkup play. A solid 7/10 performance but the other players I mentioned did more overall. Even Lingard forced two good saves and scored a goal in his cameo. Im excited for Mkhitaryan though and I hope he gets minutes on Sunday
He made the overall attack faster, a bit more fluid. He had a good chance to score off of Pogba's cross and could have an assist with his pass to Ibra.

Miki was involved in pretty much everything as well. 3 key passes, some of the best individual moments of the match and some of the best team moments too. There were indeed other good candidates for motm, but he's there too.

Mata at 10 and him on the right, and we probably would've got top 4 this season. Blown it now though.

Mata at 10 and him on the right, and we probably would've got top 4 this season. Blown it now though.

We're not even halfway through the season. A long way to go.

It will also get tricky for the top 4 as they'll get increasingly stretched by European campaigns.

The important thing about Mkhi is that we already know ALL of our cards - Ibra, Rooney, Lingard, Pogba, Mata, Herrera.. we know the best of these players and the worst of them. We're trying to get right how to play them together, and hoping that their forms will stabilize or hit a high in the coming months but by and far we already know what we could possibly have.

Mkhi is the wild card. We really don't know how he will perform and how he will affect the possibilities. We are guessing from his form and play at Dortmund but otherwise, he's still a virtual unknown at MUFC. And to me that's the most exciting part right now, especially after that performance with Feyenoord.

Reactions: Kag

Chill out my man its too early to give up. Spurs were 6th this time last season before going on an amazing run about the same time United crashed in December. We all know Spurs ended up being title contenders

Teams dropped 8 points in the last 4 games in previous title runs. There's over half a season left and things can change drastically. Just a good run of 5 wins could see the table change drastically with the way things are at the moment.

On the subject, Miki in form would be one of our best players and one of the best creative players in the league.

I'm surprised anyone thinks Mata or Pogba played better than Mkhitaryan. Both played well but Mkhitaryan run the show 2nd half. Rooney was also superb.

So where are the posters who voted him MOTM against Fyenoord? Im interested in hearing some views on that

Haven't voted, but he would be my choice, despite a horrid patch from mins 20-45. To my eyes he was the player with the most initiative, and highest speed of both action and thought. His passes and movement put speed in our play, and apart from those minutes, he pulled of alot of things that challenged Feyenoords defensive game and to my mind was instrumental in why they gave more and more space away and became increasingly disjointed at he back. He created several chances. The goals came from Zlatan's and Rooney's involvements, but I think that's a bit incidental, looking at the last weeks. I think had Mikhi drawn a red card and gotten a deflected goal, more people would have MOTM-ed him without it necessarily having to do with a higher quality of performance.

A very good performance, on a day when many where good and none were brilliant.

Although his finishing seems to desert him at times, its fair to say this is how hes been playing since his final season at Shakhtar, four years ago. Hes a nightmare for the opposition.

In my opinion his slow starts at Dortmund and United are due to the coach not understanding the calibre of player at their disposal, or unwilling (at first) to make him the creative general of the team.
Lucescu moved him from a holding midfield role to the central creative role in a 4-2-3-1 and it was a revelation.

I said in an earlier post that Jose should build this team around Mkhi instead of trying to slot him into an unsuitable position. I'm sure Jose knows this too. He might be a prick but hes certainly not stupid. That's why I believe there's been a falling out early on and hes told the media whatever he can to temporarily stall Mkhi's career as a punishment.

The only people that believe the coach's version of why he's been excluded are those that haven't actually seen him play, week to week.

Let's not forget Filipe Luis either. Even Salah is probably the best winger in the Serie A nowadays.

Mourinho does have previous for mismanging good players recently, so it's not just a case of armchair fans piping up and not seeing the full picture. Like a lot of things fans complain about, it's probably a nuanced balance between both spectrums.
Well Seria A is just a little better than fecking Czech league, so yeah he can tear it up there, premier league is just completely different animal, only bundesliga and la liga can match them in some aspects like intensity, technical ability, tactics but overall EPL is by far the toughest league to play in, so no wonder so many players fail there..

Well in your opinion he went from awful to decent very quickly which is impressive.

Well, end of first half vs end of match would describe the change of opinion. He was awful for the last 15 minutes of the first half when I switched on, but looked tidy enough in the second.

That pass around the corner to Rooney, then the little 1-2 with him is EXACTLY what we've missed for a long time. If you can interchange the ball and move forward that quickly it's impossible to stop.

That pass around the corner to Rooney, then the little 1-2 with him is EXACTLY what we've missed for a long time. If you can interchange the ball and move forward that quickly it's impossible to stop.
That can be a great alternative to open up teams who part the bus. We saw a very fluid attacking formation and that surely is the way forward

I think the issue was that Mkhitaryan wasn't giving 100% in his earlier appearances. The spell on the sidelines was a gentle reminder that his place is far from guaranteed. As long as he remembers that lesson, he'll be fine for us.

Well Seria A is just a little better than fecking Czech league, so yeah he can tear it up there, premier league is just completely different animal, only bundesliga and la liga can match them in some aspects like intensity, technical ability, tactics but overall EPL is by far the toughest league to play in, so no wonder so many players fail there..
Aye. Gervinho tore up Serie A not too long ago.

Gervinho.

We're not even halfway through the season. A long way to go.

It will also get tricky for the top 4 as they'll get increasingly stretched by European campaigns.

The important thing about Mkhi is that we already know ALL of our cards - Ibra, Rooney, Lingard, Pogba, Mata, Herrera.. we know the best of these players and the worst of them. We're trying to get right how to play them together, and hoping that their forms will stabilize or hit a high in the coming months but by and far we already know what we could possibly have.

Mkhi is the wild card. We really don't know how he will perform and how he will affect the possibilities. We are guessing from his form and play at Dortmund but otherwise, he's still a virtual unknown at MUFC. And to me that's the most exciting part right now, especially after that performance with Feyenoord.
Actually, Liverpool and Chelsea are not in Europe and Arsenal is pretty much a guarantee for top 4. I reckon United will overtake Spurs but City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal will be hard.

Delighted he looks to be on the right track. Hopefully should be like a new signing that we bought in November.

You give up so easily?
My friend, in life you must always fight. Only if you fight to the end will you get anywhere.

Although his finishing seems to desert him at times, its fair to say this is how hes been playing since his final season at Shakhtar, four years ago. Hes a nightmare for the opposition.

In my opinion his slow starts at Dortmund and United are due to the coach not understanding the calibre of player at their disposal, or unwilling (at first) to make him the creative general of the team.
Lucescu moved him from a holding midfield role to the central creative role in a 4-2-3-1 and it was a revelation.

I said in an earlier post that Jose should build this team around Mkhi instead of trying to slot him into an unsuitable position. I'm sure Jose knows this too. He might be a prick but hes certainly not stupid. That's why I believe there's been a falling out early on and hes told the media whatever he can to temporarily stall Mkhi's career as a punishment.

The only people that believe the coach's version of why he's been excluded are those that haven't actually seen him play, week to week.

As much as I rate Mkhi, there's no way we'll build the team around him. You've got to be a Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo etc sort of quality to have such a big club build the entire team around you. He'll be one of the parts of the machine and will have to deliver in that role as there will be plenty of competition.

We don't really need a team built around any 1 person, we just need a good team and good players everywhere.

We were built around Rooney for years and looked awful without him at times, we can't rely on that 1 person again.

Lets just hope whatever the problem was, it's been put to bed and he starts on the weekend (because he pretty obviously is a class above whoever else we have there apart from Mata). If he doesn't then Mourinho is still being way too cautious with him.

This post is in the I paper's fan comment bit today :D

You give up so easily?
My friend, in life you must always fight. Only if you fight to the end will you get anywhere.

Plus the fact that we're barely 12 games in to the season with everything worth winning still up for grabs, including the league title. It only takes a few wins on the trot and United will be right back in it again.

Miki will be like a new signing if he manages to turn it on. His link up play was like a breathe of fresh air the other night, just what we have been missing all season long. He also strikes me as a player with the ability to just make things happen in and around the box.

Much better in the second half and looked to be getting to grips with what it takes to be a United player. He and Martial both have that ability to create danger any time they have the ball in the attacking third.

Plus the fact that we're barely 12 games in to the season with everything worth winning still up for grabs, including the league title. It only takes a few wins on the trot and United will be right back in it again.

Miki will be like a new signing if he manages to turn it on
. His link up play was like a breathe of fresh air the other night, just what we have been missing all season long. He also strikes me as a player with the ability to just make things happen in and around the box.
Well.. He is a new signing ;)

Hopefully he starts today. Martial and Rashford should not be starting ahead of him today.

Status
Not open for further replies.