View full 2016-17 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad for Mkhi but, Mourinho's comment about him needing to replicate the performance in the premier league is perplexing because how is he supposed to when he can't even get on the bench for most premier league games. He's got to at least start getting him involved in them so he can in fact get used to the difference. Not going to be able to do that from the stands.
I was thinking the same thing. His appearances off the bench were good. He got his start against City, when he wasn't fully fit, and had a bad 45 minutes. That was literally his only bad performance and has been excluded ever since. Let's not forget to mention he was out for another 2 weeks after the City game with an injury.

Protecting a player is the biggest load of bull I have seen in my life. The guy is a 27 year old, multiple captain, international footballer earning 100k per week. Why should an experienced pro need protection from the job he is paid to do? Critics is part of football. silencing critics is only done on the football pitch

Because everyone's mentality is built the same way, each of them should cope with pressure the same way therefore should be managed the same way right? That'll get the best out of your player.

I'm struggling to get what your argument is...you think he's been treated badly right?
I don't know for sure. we all don't know since none of us are privy to the goings on. What we do know is we shouldn't take too much from what managers AND players say in the press as its mostly ass covering spiel. My issue is that many are saying he has come back faster, stronger, hungrier and more confident and I'm thinking "what?? compared to when??" we have so little exposure to the guy on the pitch, how are we deducing this? It seems that he had a stinking 45 mins vs City so we wrote him off yet before that 45 mins he seemed just fine. From the get go Jose was playing games saying "I don't need to play him like most managers would" perhaps it started earlier than the City game. I just don't agree that playing so little football does a professional "footballer" the world of good.

Glad for Mkhi but, Mourinho's comment about him needing to replicate the performance in the premier league is perplexing because how is he supposed to when he can't even get on the bench for most premier league games. He's got to at least start getting him involved in them so he can in fact get used to the difference. Not going to be able to do that from the stands.

I was thinking the same thing. His appearances off the bench were good. He got his start against City, when he wasn't fully fit, and had a bad 45 minutes. That was literally his only bad performance and has been excluded ever since. Let's not forget to mention he was out for another 2 weeks after the City game with an injury.

Could simply mean that he now intends to give him his chance to prove himself in the PL, and that it is up to Targaryan to take his chances.

I can't believe some people are saying yesterday's performance vindicates Mourinho and dismissing the possibility he has badly mismanaged him.
I think people are just saying we don't know what went on behind the scenes and maybe it was the best time to give him an opportunity. He's been injured and was poor vs City.

Why Jose would sabotage his best 11 purposely by leaving him out I can't understand.

Protecting a player is the biggest load of bull I have seen in my life. The guy is a 27 year old, multiple captain, international footballer earning 100k per week. Why should an experienced pro need protection from the job he is paid to do? Critics is part of football. silencing critics is only done on the football pitch
Sir Alex did the same thing with Carrick at the start of most seasons because he was such a slow starter yet Michael was a multiple winner who had already spent years at our club.

Glad, and relieved, to see him on the pitch performing. Keep him in the team now please.

Lets just hope whatever the problem was, it's been put to bed and he starts on the weekend (because he pretty obviously is a class above whoever else we have there apart from Mata). If he doesn't then Mourinho is still being way too cautious with him.

Dortmund have a nice big stadium but it's nothing like playing for United. You can bet that most players will not be themselves for a bit after joining and under the spotlight here every bad touch and misplaced pass is overly scrutinized by the press.

So yes, protecting a player is possible. You take them out of the firing line, let them acclimatize to their new environment and, when they're ready, they can express themselves when on the pitch. Players are human. Each one comes with their own personal intricacies.

Not a man not the match performance. What the feck are people on?

I came on here to say that. Its crazy. He had a lively game but several others were better, like Pogba, Rooney who actually scored and assisted, and Mata etc.

Not a man not the match performance. What the feck are people on?

Some people are obsessed with goals and assists.

Ibrahimović assisted twice and was heavily involved in another, yet he was actually quite poor overall. His individual talent gets him out of a jam.

Pogba committed a lot of bad fouls and his shooting was poor, yet people think he was great.

This is what I have been trying to explain to people here but alas, to no avail. The last time he stepped onto a pitch in a premier league match was 10th September. It is now nearly December and we have played 8 premier league matches since then, with many poor showings from wingers, yet Henrikh must play with more aggression in premier league matches with depleted match fitness. OK. Yes for 45 mins he played with little aggression. In fact lets imagine it was the worst performance any player has ever had in a premier league match in history, to then sit out the next 8 matches and be told you must show more aggression in these matches and get used to the difference, with no opportunity to do so is plain illogical. Normally after a few underwhelming matches, a manager may come out with something like this e.g. when Rooney was on a run of bad matches in the premier league, you could assess his form. Henrikh has no premier league form to assess because he has been un-involved. To me it seems yet another slight by Jose on Henrikh. It is most likely mind games. Some players Jose has done nothing but praise or talk up Zlatan, Pogba. Others he has criticised or talked down often, Smalling, Shaw, Miki.

Some people are obsessed with goals and assists.

Ibrahimović assisted twice and was heavily involved in another, yet he was actually quite poor overall. His individual talent gets him out of a jam.

Pogba committed a lot of bad fouls and his shooting was poor, yet people think he was great.

Ibra's insistence on dropping deep infuriates me and contributes to his poorer performances.

Pogba was great because he offered drive and guile in the midfield. Something we've lacked for ages and last night it seemed he is finally growing into that role.

Sir Alex did the same thing with Carrick at the start of most seasons because he was such a slow starter yet Michael was a multiple winner who had already spent years at our club.
I don't remember SAF ever 'protecting' Carrick to be honest. Protecting is such a strong word. wreaks of weakness

This is what I have been trying to explain to people here but alas, to no avail. The last time he stepped onto a pitch in a premier league match was 10th September. It is now nearly December and we have played 8 premier league matches since then, with many poor showings from wingers, yet Henrikh must play with more aggression in premier league matches with depleted match fitness. OK. Yes for 45 mins he played with little aggression. In fact lets imagine it was the worst performance any player has ever had in a premier league match in history, to then sit out the next 8 matches and be told you must show more aggression in these matches and get used to the difference, with no opportunity to do so is plain illogical. Normally after a few underwhelming matches, a manager may come out with something like this e.g. when Rooney was on a run of bad matches in the premier league, you could assess his form. Henrikh has no premier league form to assess because he has been un-involved. To me it seems yet another slight by Jose on Henrikh. It is most likely mind games. Some players Jose has done nothing but praise or talk up Zlatan, Pogba. Others he has criticised or talked down often, Smalling, Shaw, Miki.

He does train with players that regularly play in the PL though, remember that Mourinho and his staff has a lot more information that we do. Just because you and I are unable to assess his form, doesn't mean they are.

He does train with players that regularly play in the PL though, remember that Mourinho and his staff has a lot more information that we do. Just because you and I are unable to assess his form, doesn't mean they are.
I think people place too much emphasise on training. There are plenty players ahem "Ronaldinho" who were awful trainers but excellent players. Miki is also known as a great trainer by virtually all his previous managers

Does anyone else feel Shaw didn't help Mikhitaryan's cause too much in the first half?
Shaw wasn't looking for overlaps or getting forward as much on the left (taking defenders with him) so when the ball came to Mikhitaryan he only had the option of passing back to the centre. In the second half where Mikhitaryan drifted into the centre and onto the right he really showed what he is capable of.
Maybe it was just me but I'd be interested to see what people think
It wasn't just you. I thought Shaw looked hesitant and ponderous and I think Mikhitaryan then began ignoring Shaw.

Shaw's confidence is really low, it seems.

I think people place too much emphasise on training. There are plenty players ahem "Ronaldinho" who were awful trainers but excellent players. Miki is also known as a great trainer by virtually all his previous managers

It is a difference between effort and ability, that he is diligent and professional in his training work doesn't mean he always shows the necessary ability. Mourinho has given him credit for his hard-working nature as well.

These players are measured and assessed almost every day on the training ground, discounting that information would be ignorant from our coaching staff.

Those highlights are great to see. I was really interested to see how he played yesterday, but didn't have a great view in the second half.

Do you get perplexed easily ? That comment points towards Mikhi working his way back into League selection and THEN he needs to replicate the same form.

He always makes a forward runs immediately after passing the ball. It's so simple but probably one of the most effective moves in football. Drags defenders out of position, creating space that otherwise wouldn't be available with static players on the pitch.

So where are the posters who voted him MOTM against Fyenoord? Im interested in hearing some views on that

It means he intends to give Mkhitaryan game time in the PL and Jose is expecting Mkhitaryan to replicate the form he showed last night.

Do you get perplexed easily ? That comment points towards Mikhi working his way back into League selection and THEN he needs to replicate the same form.

No I don't but, thanks for asking. And how can he work his way back into the league league selection if he is not even getting minutes on the pitch - not even a chance with not making most match day squads.

One thing that's really noticeable is how good his change of pace is and touch on the ball, combined with his close dribbling. Hazard-esque actually, and that's just terrible for opposition defenders to play against. Said it in the summer but he can be one of the best players in the league IMO, if he gets to his dortmund form and stays consistent (and gets picked of course).

That very comment can be Interpreted as Jose saying that he will get a chance in the league.

You just choice to spin it into a negative.

When you say looked more confident, compared to what? Are you saying that yesterday, he looked more confident than when you saw him eating his chow mein in wings restaurant? or does he look fitter than when you saw him walking to Asda? because personally, I haven't seen nearly enough of him kicking a ball to suggest he has improved in all these areas. I just saw him in the stands since the "half of football" vs Man City and common sense dictates that a half of football is pretty meaningless. Many great players have had shite halves of football, even Zlatan.

Compared to the rabbit in the headlights who looked slow and sluggish against City and like he was scared to death of making a mistake against Fenerbache.

Lets not forget him being pulled out of international duty to stay with us and work on fitness.

Last edited:
De Bruyne apparently wouldn't put in the effort in training because he thought he should be a starter based on his talent. Do you not see an issue with this?

That part is slightly wrong, he is just not a great "trainer" like Hazard who is known for being a different player on gameday. Mourinho had a problem with it because he wants his players to train like gameday.

That part is slightly wrong, he is just not a great "trainer" like Hazard who is known for being a different player on gameday. Mourinho had a problem with it because he wants his players to train like gameday.

Thats what I'd seen people saying about the situation. Hence why he moved on, because he believed he should play anyway.

Anyway, the point still stands, some managers just won't let players like that get away with it.

Thats what I'd seen people saying about the situation. Hence why he moved on, because he believed he should play anyway.

Anyway, the point still stands, some managers just won't let players like that get away with it.

Getting away is a strong word, some players are in a different state of mind when they play for a result, not everyone is at a 100% all the time. Rudi Garcia who is pretty much like Mourinho in terms of discipline and being intense all the time, said concerning Hazard that when he understood that Hazard always had the right state of mind during games, he overlooked the lack of intensity that he shows during the week.

There's clearly a very good player in there somewhere and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) seeing more of him from here on. If he gets in the side and plays to his abilities it'd be a real lift for our attack.

Maybe it's me but what I liked about him is he knits everything together and gave us a complete new dimension to our game. Without getting too excited after one game, I thought it was a MOTM performance given the context of the game. It was a game we clearly wanted to win and there would have been a measure all about of pressure on him to perform. I thought he was something else in second half and that run through the centre was just special.

The quality of the player is clear to see and if we can get Martial and Rooney (who was also superb yesterday) firing again, our attacking options going forward will be up there with the best. If Jose can bring in a decent CB in Jan, we'll have a decent second half to the season

Status
Not open for further replies.