Henderson should be our #1

I know people are going to be in this 'Henderson is overrated' state and 'the opinion is ridiculous', but there is a point here.

It is/was a fact that Henderson did catch and clear more corners. The more you do this, the less chances the opposition will have. It might not be as exciting to watch as a top class shot-stopping save, but it is still very effective.

Who knows? Henderson may have come and cleared/caught the corner that lead to one of the saves. Henderson would likely not take so much credit for the same feat of stopping the chance because the chance would never have happened in the first place. People don't get excited by a keeper catching a corner because it is not exciting. It is just normal.

Henderson is definitely more likely to sweep or to intercept a corner directly, according to the stats. So, it is not impossible that one of the shots may never have happened.

I know people are going to be in this 'Henderson is overrated' state and 'the opinion is ridiculous', but there is a point here.

It is/was a fact that Henderson did catch and clear more corners. The more you do this, the less chances the opposition will have. It might not be as exciting to watch as a top class shot-stopping save, but it is still very effective.

Who knows? Henderson may have come and cleared/caught the corner that lead to one of the saves. Henderson would likely not take so much credit for the same feat of stopping the chance because the chance would never have happened in the first place. People don't get excited by a keeper catching a corner because it is not exciting. It is just normal.

Henderson is definitely more likely to sweep or to intercept a corner directly, according to the stats. So, it is not impossible that one of the shots may never have happened.
Have you any stats to back this up because when Henderson got his run we let in 2 or 3 goals from corners that were in and around the six yard box didn't we?

Henderson is a fantastic keeper, Im sure he will one day be our #1. It seems opinions in here have to be in the extreme. He has tons of time on his side. He has already had a big impact here, DDG's current form quite possibly is partly influenced by the pressure Henderson is exerting. Right now DDG is the in form keeper, if Henderson pushes past then awesome. We are really lucky to have 2 brilliant keepers in our squad.

Have you any stats to back this up because when Henderson got his run we let in 2 or 3 goals from corners that were in and around the six yard box didn't we?

I haven't looked it up recently, but I remember last season he had quite a lot more collections from corners. I can't find those stats, anymore, but he also was one of the highest in the league at Sheffield the season before. De Gea is also pretty noted for not coming off his line, but he does seem to have done it a bit more recently.

Henderson is a fantastic keeper, Im sure he will one day be our #1. It seems opinions in here have to be in the extreme. He has tons of time on his side. He has already had a big impact here, DDG's current form quite possibly is partly influenced by the pressure Henderson is exerting. Right now DDG is the in form keeper, if Henderson pushes past then awesome. We are really lucky to have 2 brilliant keepers in our squad.
We really should, otherwise we would be chasing Arsenal for the most overacting fans on Youtube trophy.

Henderson can teleport himself through 10 players and collect the ball? Lets leave stats alone and watch games. He doesn't go from line much more than DDG.

I swear i will start creating threads like this one. Lets say;
Lingard is better than Rashford because of clever movement.
Maguire is better than Varane because he is a leader.
McT is better than Fred because he is future captain material
Ole is better manager than Ragnick because he knows the club.

Henderson can teleport himself through 10 players and collect the ball? Lets leave stats alone and watch games. He doesn't go from line much more than DDG.

None of those are comparable. Collecting a corner definitively ends any chance from happening. Saving a shot stops the ball going into the net. Both of these can be measured.

You cannot measure a 'better leader'.

I remember there was a stats table at Sheffield and last season showing Henderson as one of the highest for collecting corners and crosses. It is one of his better assets.

Judging by those stats, it does show he is more like to come off his line than De Gea. I don't remember De Gea being particularly bad and catching or punching; it is just he does not do it that often. I also remember that that stats table also showed De Gea as near the bottom for collecting/punching crosses and corners away.

From last season what the stats tell us is that he did go to claim more corners than De Gea but he then fumbled or failed to fully deal with then a corresponding amount, so there was relatively little improvement.

In terms of shot prevention (i.e. sweeping and cross claiming) it's pretty inarguable that Henderson is better. But in the same way there's more to goalkeeping than shot-stopping, there's more to goalkeeping than chance prevention too.

Whatever about Solskjaer, if Rangnick (who expressly demands that his keepers sweep behind the high line) ultimately still favours De Gea then it suggests there's better reason to that some of De Gea's harsher critics believe. Even beyond the shot-stopping, it could be down things like attitude or a sense that Henderson isn't ready for it yet.

Last edited:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-goalkeepers-sweeping-might-give-him-the-edge

Not exactly the stats I saw last season, but this does show Henderson is much more likely to sweep and come off his line. Cannot find the one about corners, at the moment.

That’s why Dave is number one. End of chat.

For me 2 of the saves were good and the header save was great. Hendo saves the first two and maybe the third IMO. There were at least 2 or 3 corners where Hendo might have come out and grabbed or punched the ball where Dave just stood there. No one can say they didn't score a corner because of de Gea.

I haven't looked it up recently, but I remember last season he had quite a lot more collections from corners. I can't find those stats, anymore, but he also was one of the highest in the league at Sheffield the season before. De Gea is also pretty noted for not coming off his line, but he does seem to have done it a bit more recently.

You said it was a fact but now you can't find them?

It just seems that people who want Henderson as our number one but even they can't say he is a better sister so instead they come up with this nonsense defenders are more confident with him as he yells a lot

For me 2 of the saves were good and the header save was great. Hendo saves the first two and maybe the third IMO. There were at least 2 or 3 corners where Hendo might have come out and grabbed or punched the ball where Dave just stood there. No one can say they didn't score a corner because of de Gea.

Henderson got lobbed while on his line. I don't think we can say with any great confidence he would have made any save

You said it was a fact but now you can't find them?

It just seems that people who want Henderson as our number one but even they can't say he is a better sister so instead they come up with this nonsense defenders are more confident with him as he yells a lot

I provided another statistic about him coming off his line for sweeping from Sky Sports. Why would I bother making it up, anyway?

Here is the sweeping information:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-goalkeepers-sweeping-might-give-him-the-edge

I will try and find the one about corners and chance prevention, again, but I do remember quite clearly that De Gea was near the bottom and Henderson near the top.

What are you on about? Did we remotely look like conceding from corners today? Why are you obsessed about one facet of the many things which makes a good goalkeeper?

@sullydnl already pointed out that the difference between De Gea and Henderson is pretty much negligible when you factor in the mistakes that led to goals from Henderson coming out.

When DDG is no longer worthy of being our number 1 (and that time isn't right now)... I still don't really fancy Henderson too be our number one.

We should try sell him when his stock is still somewhat high.

Henderson is at best a below average goalkeeper in the Premier League, when he got the chance at United he made several big mistakes and was basically never seen again. There is a big difference between Manchester and Sheffield United, he failed to show anything special last season. If Henderson pushes past then awesome? He is as likely to challenge de Gea as Jansson was to pushing Harry Kane a few seasons back, get real. If Henderson wants to stay I am alright with that, but obviousy he is a backup goalkeeper and will never have the first spot unless something extraordinary happens to his ability. This is United, not Brentford or Norwich, Henderson is far from being a fantastic goalkeeper as you put it.

The only gap wider than De Gea vs Henderson.
MiS3Y7g.jpg

No having this bs. DeGea is clearly the better keeper.
He really is, they are aspects of his game are not as good as Hendo but he's overall game is better, they are better keepers out there but not at utd, some great saves today but we give out next week for not coming of his line for crosses

What are you on about? Did we remotely look like conceding from corners today? Why are you obsessed about one facet of the many things which makes a good goalkeeper?

@sullydnl already pointed out that the difference between De Gea and Henderson is pretty much negligible when you factor in the mistakes that led to goals from Henderson coming out.

Yes. If you weren't nervous when Norwich had 4 corners in a row then I don't know what to say.

Laughable proposition. If we disregard shot-stopping as an important attribute for a keeper, then it can argued that Henderson is superior to De Gea.

Yes. If you weren't nervous when Norwich had 4 corners in a row then I don't know what to say.
No I wasn’t particularly nervous any more than I’m nervous for any other corner that we concede.

Based on because he has history of making those kind of saves? No way he saves any of these shots. His positioning on the line is poor and his reflexes are poor.

Based on because he has history of making those kind of saves? No way he saves any of these shots. His positioning on the line is poor and his reflexes are poor.

The save from the shot was good but I think most good keepers save that.
The close in save from the header was good but he was right there so it would be expected that any keeper saves that.
The diving save for the header was great and I mentioned that. It's just hard to say that Hendo never saves that.

De gea does what de gea does today, stays on his line and makes some decent saves. He is very good at it, its a shame he does literally nothing proactive to stop attacks.

Death, taxes and the defensive line dropping to deep with de gea in nets are the only gaurentees in life.

The save from the shot was good but I think most good keepers save that.
The close in save from the header was good but he was right there so it would be expected that any keeper saves that.
The diving save for the header was great and I mentioned that. It's just hard to say that Hendo never saves that.
Lots of people underestimate gk's ability in positioning and anticipation. It is not coincidence that lots of shots go straight to DDG. Dave's positioning on the line and one on one is excellent (and goes under the radar). Look closely goals which Henderson conceded. Many times he is not good positioned.

Also, when ball goes straight above keeper's head, you need good reflexes to save that. Again, look at Hendo's goal vs Milan.

This thread is daft. De Gea is in fantastic form.
its a weird thread in all directions. DDG is the in form keeper and playing really well but that doesnt mean that Henderson is suddenly a donkey with lead feet. As you say its a daft thread

So if I was a betting man I'd say we'll probably need to buy someone else within the next couple of seasons rather than sticking with either De Gea or Henderson.

It's obvious and always has been that if we want to Gegenpress our way to glory it will be without de Gea, Pogba, Maguire, AWB and Ronaldo at the very least. In the case of DdG we saw all this play out in Pep's first year at City with a keeper who wouldn't come off his line giving way for one who would.

its a weird thread in all directions. DDG is the in form keeper and playing really well but that doesnt mean that Henderson is suddenly a donkey with lead feet. As you say its a daft thread

Absolutely. The post claiming Henderson is worse than Pickford is insane.

I'd pretty much written De Gea off before this season but I'm very happy to be proven wrong. He's been close to peak form - which is very fecking good.

I'm mostly relieved that GK doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Such a hard position to replace.

De gea does what de gea does today, stays on his line and makes some decent saves. He is very good at it, its a shame he does literally nothing proactive to stop attacks.

Death, taxes and the defensive line dropping to deep with de gea in nets are the only gaurentees in life.
Like what, move out to fullback and block a cross? Make a ball-winning tackle in midfield?

He's a goalie, there are loads of players who should be stopping the opposition attacks.