Hazard or Griezmann... Who is the better player??

Who is the better player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tonight's display against City is the reason I voted for Hazard. He's someone we need more than Griezmann, in my opinion.

Hazard is a dribbler - someone who can take on three/four players and make things happen. When he's on it, he's impossible to play against.

Griezmann, on the other hand, is a goalscorer, but he's not going to dribble past players and score you a goal.

At the moment, we haven't got a player like Sanchez, Hazard, etc, who will win you a game when you're not playing well - someone like Ronaldo, who we've yet to replace.

Tonight's display against City is the reason I voted for Hazard. He's someone we need more than Griezmann, in my opinion.

Hazard is a dribbler - someone who can take on three/four players and make things happen. When he's on it, he's impossible to play against.

Griezmann, on the other hand, is a goalscorer, but he's not going to dribble past players and score you a goal.

At the moment, we haven't got a player like Sanchez, Hazard, etc, who will win you a game when you're not playing well - someone like Ronaldo, who we've yet to replace.

Fully agree (though I'm biased). All you have to do is look at the attention Hazard draws from opposition defenses-every time he gets the ball in the final third there are four defenders crowding around him. The space that frees up for his teammates is invaluable and has yet to be properly quantified by statistics-it's really only appreciated when one watches Hazard week in and week out.

As brilliant as Griezmann is, he can't be the creative force on his own to the extent that Hazard is-he has to play off another striker to be truly effective. Chelsea as a team are built around Hazard, I wouldn't say the same about Atletico Madrid and Griezmann.

Being a better player involves more than pure footballing ability, in my opinion.

Same for. Hazard has more ability, but he's not consistent in applying it.

And people keep mentioning that Chelsea aren't a great attacking team, but neither are Atletico. They're the most defensive team in Europe arguably and Griezmann contributes to that as well.

Hazard needs to perform in the CL next season. He's been below par.

And people keep mentioning that Chelsea aren't a great attacking team, but neither are Atletico. They're the most defensive team in Europe arguably and Griezmann contributes to that as well.

Hazard needs to perform in the CL next season. He's been below par.

Not trying to have a go at you personally mate, but generally I really don't understand where this narrative that Hazard has been poor in the CL has come from. Last season he was injured; the season before that he was fouled 9(!) times in the first leg against PSG and was the standout player in the tie. He's suffered from Mourinho's tendency to be conservative in European matches-Chelsea would typically play deeper and he'd have to defend quite a lot.

I dunno, I think it's easy to look at a match recap and see that Hazard isn't on the scoresheet, then dismiss him as having been poor when in reality the attention he draws is what allows the team to function offensively.

Not trying to have a go at you personally mate, but generally I really don't understand where this narrative that Hazard has been poor in the CL has come from. Last season he was injured; the season before that he was fouled 9(!) times in the first leg against PSG and was the standout player in the tie. He's suffered from Mourinho's tendency to be conservative in European matches-Chelsea would typically play deeper and he'd have to defend quite a lot.

I dunno, I think it's easy to look at a match recap and see that Hazard isn't on the scoresheet, then dismiss him as having been poor when in reality the attention he draws is what allows the team to function offensively.

It's not that he's been poor. He's just been solid. He just hasn't been as influential as he should be. If we're going to compare him to the likes of Suarez, Neymar, Bale, etc. He needs to perform better in the Champions League with the amount of talent he's got.

Like could you really see Hazard doing what Neymar did vs PSG in the 2nd leg? I mean I'm sure he's got the talent to do so(even though I think Neymar is more talented, it's like Hazard is nowhere near him), but mentally is where the question marks lie. I mean there was a recent article where he downplayed himself in comparison to Messi's artistry. It's just a bit surprising really considering his achievements and talent.

Last season re: the injury. If he was truly injured, I suppose it's a pass, but I wouldn't buy that 100%. I don't think he was that injured to affect him that badly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not that he's been poor. He's just been solid. He just hasn't been as influential as he should be. If we're going to compare him to the likes of Suarez, Neymar, Bale, etc. He needs to perform better in the Champions League with the amount of talent he's got.

Like could you really see Hazard doing what Neymar did vs PSG in the 2nd leg? I mean I'm sure he's got the talent to do so(even though I think Neymar is more talented, it's like Hazard is nowhere near him), but mentally is where the question marks lie. I mean there was a recent article where he downplayed himself in comparison to Messi's artistry. It's just a bit surprising really considering his achievements and talent.

Last season re: the injury. If he was truly injured, I suppose it's a pass, but I wouldn't buy that 100%. I don't think he was that injured to affect him that badly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

To be honest, I've seen Hazard single handedly lift Chelsea to wins on many an occasion, albeit against poorer opposition than PSG. I do think he has it in his locker, but you are correct that he hasn't put in a performance on par with what Neymar did. I'd also not fault him too much for downplaying himself compared to Messi, who in my opinion is the greatest ever.

I actually think it's a point in Hazard's favour that he recognizes his limitations and isn't overly cocky like so many modern players-by all accounts he's a humble family man.

He was definitely half-fit for much of the season, but because Chelsea's results were so poor Mourinho kept playing him in an effort to turn things around. He was carrying a knock and then in the 3-1 defeat against Leicester suffered a semi-serious hip injury thanks to a challenge from Vardy that kept him out for months. Once fit again in the last month of the season he was right back to being unplayable.

To be honest, I've seen Hazard single handedly lift Chelsea to wins on many an occasion, albeit against poorer opposition than PSG. I do think he has it in his locker, but you are correct that he hasn't put in a performance on par with what Neymar did. I'd also not fault him too much for downplaying himself compared to Messi, who in my opinion is the greatest ever.

I actually think it's a point in Hazard's favour that he recognizes his limitations and isn't overly cocky like so many modern players-by all accounts he's a humble family man.

He was definitely half-fit for much of the season, but because Chelsea's results were so poor Mourinho kept playing him in an effort to turn things around. He was carrying a knock and then in the 3-1 defeat against Leicester suffered a semi-serious hip injury thanks to a challenge from Vardy that kept him out for months. Once fit again in the last month of the season he was right back to being unplayable.
Hazard was playing as a left back last time Chelsea faced PSG. Mourinho played like a coward and we defended for 90 mins. The likes of Neymar would have been useless under Mourinho's defensive system (if i can call it that). Not just Hazard. Costa, Willian, Oscar to all suffered because they rarely touched the ball in these games. Despite that, I remember Hazard scoring against PSG and being chelsea's best attacker in the 2-2 game we should have won 2 seasons ago but somehow threw it away.

Don't forget Hazard crushed Guardiola's bayern at 22. In that game, we actually tried to play football instead of defending for 90 minutes like Mourinho will later do. Attacking players can't do anything when your team defends for 90 minutes.

Don't forget Hazard crushed Guardiola's bayern at 22. In that game, we actually tried to play football instead of defending for 90 minutes like Mourinho will later do. Attacking players can't do anything when your team defends for 90 minutes.

Atletico Madrid and Griezmann would disagree.

Atletico Madrid and Griezmann would disagree.
Go back and watch the full match replay of PSG vs Chelsea away 2014/15. I've never seen a more negative, defensive display from a big team before. Comparing the way Mourinho set up his team's in these game to the way Atletico play is totally wrong. Atletico at least try to play in spurts.

Mourinho actually went away to Atletico Madrid and packed the bus against them, defending for 90 mins. In the home tie, he started 6 defenders against them. Simeone isn't scared to death to lose like Mourinho. You'll see what I'm talking about if your team ever reaches the CL knock out phase. (Also, Griezmann is a striker not a left winger. In an ultra defensive system, at worst, he'll never find himself playing as an auxillary left back).

Go back and watch the full match replay of PSG vs Chelsea away 2014/15. I've never seen a more negative, defensive display from a big team before. Comparing the way Mourinho set up his team's in these game to the way Atletico play is totally wrong. Atletico at least try to play in spurts.

Mourinho actually went away to Atletico Madrid and packed the bus against them, defending for 90 mins. In the home tie, he started 6 defenders against them. Simeone isn't scared to death to lose like Mourinho. You'll see what I'm talking about if your team ever reaches the CL knock out phase. (Also, Griezmann is a striker not a left winger. In an ultra defensive system, at worst, he'll never find himself playing as an auxillary left back).

It's an away game against a very good side, it's hardly a new concept for managers to try and nick a goal for the return leg. In fact, it's not often managers to go away grounds against top European competition and go gung-ho. The return leg in question for example, was a great match. Also, Griezmann isn't a striker, he operates behind the striker and is influential in Atleti's play, he is known for his goals but people who claim that's the only thing he's good at are doing him a great disservice imo.

It's an away game against a very good side, it's hardly a new concept for managers to try and nick a goal for the return leg. In fact, it's not often managers to go away grounds against top European competition and go gung-ho. The return leg in question for example, was a great match. Also, Griezmann isn't a striker, he operates behind the striker and is influential in Atleti's play, he is known for his goals but people who claim that's the only thing he's good at are doing him a great disservice imo.
While I get what you're saying, it's not putting Jose's tactics into proper context. We were leading against PSG in the second leg at the Bridge and they'd just gotten a red card yet he had us sit back until they equalized and knocked us out on away goals. Still annoyed by that tie to this day. Love Jose but those were cowardly tactics on the day tbqh. We had the players to kill the tie for good and silence PSG but decided to concede possession and not cross the 30 yard point. Really annoying. Other times, I'm in full support of it though.

While I get what you're saying, it's not putting Jose's tactics into proper context. We were leading against PSG in the second leg at the Bridge and they'd just gotten a red card yet he had us sit back until they equalized and knocked us out on away goals. Still annoyed by that tie to this day. Love Jose but those were cowardly tactics on the day tbqh. We had the players to kill the tie for good and silence PSG but decided to concede possession and not cross the 30 yard point. Really annoying. Other times, I'm in full support of it though.

Ye of course, no discounting he's a negative nancy when it comes to certain games, but tbf Veratti was having the game of his career. The performance he put in was phenomenal, made it look like Chelsea were down a man in that game.

Don't think that was negative tactics as much as just a bad decision by Jose. Was a mistake by him because IIRC Chelsea were looking pretty lively and energetic at the beginning of the match.

Last edited:
Hazard.

Griezmann looks like an extra from a WW2 movie in the OP.

Hazard is a much better all round player, he's a better creator and dribbler.

Griezmann is a better finisher, it depends what your team needs, if you have a team of number 10s you want Griezmann.

like i said before, EPL wise, Hazard is more useful than Griezman...he is EPL proven player...and with his style of play, moving to Spain (RM, Barca, even ATM), he will not have find any problem...my stupid opinion says in the technical leagues like in Spain, Germany, or Italia, his effectiveness will increase therefore he will be more valuable for the team....

Griezman, while being a beast at ATM, unless he can play with physicality like Alexis Sanchez or Aguero will find difficulty here...just remember Fernando Torres...in the beginning so bright, in the end turn to shit...

It is a matter of strategy, not just the value of the money....

In the friendly in 13/14? I wouldn't really call that pep's bayern, he has been managing them for two months at that point.

Ye of course, no discounting he's a negative nancy when it comes to certain games, but tbf Veratti was having the game of his career. The performance he put in was phenomenal, made it look like Chelsea were down a man in that game.
Verratti has had plenty of games on that level in CL. First leg against barcelona this season, for example. Pastore was the best player on the pitch at ST, by far

In the friendly in 13/14? I wouldn't really call that pep's bayern, he has been managing them for two months at that point.
Wasn't really a friendly though. Very intense and fast-paced match. But you call it that because you were very lucky to win it!

I don't get this sentiment. If you argue Hazard is not a very consistent goal scorer that would be one thing, but since he's arrived he has been consistently the best player at the club. His match ratings (fans) are higher across a season than anyone else. Kante will push him close for this season though. But those ratings serve to highlight just how influential he is. His coaches have pushed him to achieve higher end product, but not one of them would say 'he's not consistent in applying his ability'.

For united, Greizmann is a better fit. In general, Hazard is more exciting, so Hazard for me.

Hazard for me. I think he is the best player in the Premier and on a par with the other 4 from Spain Messi Ronaldo Suarez and Neymar. Although He seemed to stop playing for Mourinho which I will never condone. If you don't want to play stop taking the money and tell the manager you don't want to play. All the power rests with the players now. I don't believe that Chelsea and Leicester suddenly developed the whole squad turning to shit at the same time.

Hazard for me. I think he is the best player in the Premier and on a par with the other 4 from Spain Messi Ronaldo Suarez and Neymar. Although He seemed to stop playing for Mourinho which I will never condone. If you don't want to play stop taking the money and tell the manager you don't want to play. All the power rests with the players now. I don't believe that Chelsea and Leicester suddenly developed the whole squad turning to shit at the same time.

On your videogame console maybe.

Griezmann is better in the final third, where it really matters. And although Hazard is a better ball carrier and a great player, Griezmann is a better for me.

What does the OP mean by better player? We need a definition of what defines a great footballer so we can apply it to this context.

With regards to the comparisons between the two players, long story short, Hazard is better with the ball at his feet, Griezmann is better without the ball apply tbh his feet.

They both have very different strenght so the context of who is better will depend on the strenghts and weaknesses of the team they would both potentially be playing for. Of you have a team that has a lot of space to run into and has creators, Griezmann would be more useful because he has better off the ball movement and is a better finisher and header of the ball in the box.

Of your team doesn't have a creator, Hazard is better because he is more press resitant, arguably the second best dribbler in Europe, better in tighter spaces and so he is a better supporting player. He does not have the ability or the mentality to make off the ball runs and prefers having the ball to his feet.

The caveat to Griezmann is that you need a particular structure around him for him to be effective. He is not a good winget because he is not a great dribbler so putting him put wide limits him. He is also not a good CF because he cannot play very effectively with his back to goal and needs a presence pinning/occupying the opposition centre backs for him to make his off the ball runs. In that respect his is very similar to Thomas Muller. Difference being that Griezmann has a fantastic first touch when running into space and is faster. Both are great interpretors of space.

Once again it would depend on the team they again are joining and the personnel around the team. Hazard would require less of the tea adapting to him but Griezmann is the better goal scorer.

They both have very different strenght so the context of who is better will depend on the strenghts and weaknesses of the team they would both potentially be playing for. Of you have a team that has a lot of space to run into and has creators, Griezmann would be more useful because he has better off the ball movement and is a better finisher and header of the ball in the box.

Of your team doesn't have a creator, Hazard is better because he is more press resitant, arguably the second best dribbler in Europe, better in tighter spaces and so he is a better supporting player. He does not have the ability or the mentality to make off the ball runs and prefers having the ball to his feet.
I think your post gets a lot of things right, but depending on how you mean the bolded parts, I may not agree with them.

Hazard moves an awful lot off the ball (and brilliantly imo), but of course in a different way than a typical forward. Do you exclusively mean running into finishing positions? Or pulling away defenders to create space for others? Or something else?

Hazard hasn't done anything in Europe or internationally yet. Once he does that then this debate can really take off.

I'd rather have Hazard though because we need a player like that more.

You haven't rendered anything useless :lol: Hazard isn't even close to them, get real. In terms of consistency, he is yet to deliver 2 high quality seasons in a row yet
Technically, 13/14 > 14/15

There's no arguing with the rest of your post though

14/15 yes but the other one wasn't on the level required to be compared with the others.
Neither was 14/15 in that regard. He was world class in both though

I think I have to agree with you on that one... especially with him calling you a lunatic in response :( Geez. Just be the bigger man and ignore it :)

What are you actually talking about... why was there absolutely no need to add a photo in my post. Who made you judge and jury? If I want to dress up my post leave me to do so. Have a good day.

Good man, you're dealing with the unfunnies of the unfunny. Jerusalem weeps. Cubits have been squared, pyramids built, and stupid forty year old cnuts are getting serious on a football forum.

I had no idea that Hazard was so highly rated here. He has done nothing outside of EPL yet, and even there he gave up for one year.

Not close to being on par with the likes of Griezmann, Bale, Suarez and Neymar.

I had no idea that Hazard was so highly rated here. He has done nothing outside of EPL yet, and even there he gave up for one year.

Not close to being on par with the likes of Griezmann, Bale, Suarez and Neymar.

Yes he was totally shite at Lille

Sure. But was talking more for the big European competition and for NT.

From what I remember he has a good Euros from an individual point of view.