Greenwood (Out) - signs for Getafe on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Course he'll get a move.

It might be Turkey or Greece or somewhere random that is quite a fall from where he was, but he'll get one. There will be a variety of clubs where there isn't much spotlight on them where he'll be able to carry on and they'll be okay taking a punt on him based on the talent he had. He might have to be willing to take quite a cut in his financial expectations and we may have to bend over backwards to ensure it happens, but it will indeed happen. I'm sure he realises his earning power will be at rock bottom when he negotiates his new contract, he probably just wants to get his career going so it could be some random club.

Since we seem to do almost everything dutch/ETH, I am surprised there are no Dutch clubs coming in for him.

Daily Mail article on what supposedly actually happened. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...rities-MPs-making-return-club-impossible.html
Muddies the waters further, assuming you give any creedence to whats written in the Mail of course.
Either way you look at it the club handled this badly. At the end of the day the couple, reunited for some time now, should have just been presented an ultimatum when the charges were dropped to make a statement denying all or at least the most serious charges. If she refused to state that he didnt commit all or at least the more serious of the charges then the player should have been advised he'd be moved on months ago. If she was willing then the player could have been reintegrated, again months ago, on the grounds that he likely didnt do it. The fact the couple are still together is the biggest conundrum of all. Either he's an abuser who beats and sexually assaults her or she's a basked case who's trashed his career in a tantrum. Either way their family's future earning potential has been absolutely devastated.

On the training front, will be now return to training with the first team until his situation is resolved?

From a football perspective it might even be a good idea to have him play in some reserve fixtures or behind closed doors matches if any were scheduled. Would give potential suitors an idea of where he was.
I’d imagine any move for him right now will be a loan move making it a low risk transfer for any buyer. Possibly with option to buy. I’ll be surprised if he’s sold for a fee right now.

Daily Mail article on what supposedly actually happened. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...rities-MPs-making-return-club-impossible.html
Muddies the waters further, assuming you give any creedence to whats written in the Mail of course.
Either way you look at it the club handled this badly. At the end of the day the couple, reunited for some time now, should have just been presented an ultimatum when the charges were dropped to make a statement denying all or at least the most serious charges. If she refused to state that he didnt commit all or at least the more serious of the charges then the player should have been advised he'd be moved on months ago. If she was willing then the player could have been reintegrated, again months ago, on the grounds that he likely didnt do it. The fact the couple are still together is the biggest conundrum of all. Either he's an abuser who beats and sexually assaults her or she's a basked case who's trashed his career in a tantrum. Either way their family's future earning potential has been absolutely devastated.

Yeap. The couple/family should have at least addressed it early. Either bad advice on the part of their family, lawyers or club.

I’d imagine any move for him right now will be a loan move making it a low risk transfer for any buyer. Possibly with option to buy. I’ll be surprised if he’s sold for a fee right now.

A loan is the most likely --- considering that no club will want to be seen paying for him considering the media's prevailing narrative and the narrow transfer window left.

Last edited:
Yeap. The couple/family should have at least addressed it early. Either bad advice on the part of their family, lawyers or club.
The internal investigation was utterly pointless as it did nothing to address the actual problem of the damage to the club's image, particularly to the fanbase.

I realise that this is a tiresome reference at times but theres no way peak Ferguson would have dealt with this so slowly or so weakly. He'd have demanded an extremely convincing explanation for why the charges were false from the player up front that the club could release as a rebuttal and then backed him to the hilt. If the player was unable to do this he'd have been gone in the blink of an eye.

Don’t really care where he goes as long as it’s not to a rival. More importantly he should grow into a decent human being (he’s still only a kid) after all of this and learn from his past actions.

Either way you look at it the club handled this badly. At the end of the day the couple, reunited for some time now, 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 should have just been presented an ultimatum when the charges were dropped to make a statement denying all or at least the most serious charges. If she refused to state that he didnt commit all or at least the more serious of the charges then the player should have been advised he'd be moved on months ago. If she was willing then the player could have been reintegrated, again months ago, on the grounds that he likely didnt do it. The fact the couple are still together is the biggest conundrum of all. Either he's an abuser who beats and sexually assaults her or she's a basked case who's trashed his career in a tantrum. Either way their family's future earning potential has been absolutely devastated.
they always say what's gonna happened and the actual is not the same always ! I don't trust daily mail

So you don't believe Arnold who is in receipt of more information than the rest of us including Rachel Riley ?
I’m not questioning what Arnold believes. He seems perfectly sincere.

I (and others) just find it odd that he’s felt it necessary to state that belief in public in such a carefully worded and long winded way.

I’m not questioning what Arnold believes. He seems perfectly sincere.

I (and others) just find it odd that he’s felt it necessary to state that belief in public in such a carefully worded and long winded way.
It was a negotiated statement, drafted in concert with the player and his legal representatives

The internal investigation was utterly pointless as it did nothing to address the actual problem of the damage to the club's image, particularly to the fanbase.

I realise that this is a tiresome reference at times but theres no way peak Ferguson would have dealt with this so slowly or so weakly. He'd have demanded an extremely convincing explanation for why the charges were false from the player up front that the club could release as a rebuttal and then backed him to the hilt. If the player was unable to do this he'd have been gone in the blink of an eye.

Agree with the way Fergie would have handled it. I am sure Fergie could bully the press into not releasing certain articles too. He was the ultimate protector of the brand/club.

It also strongly indicates we intend to sell rather than simply sack him as if we're saying we dont believe he committed the crimes he was charged with then our case for dismissal for gross misconduct and, by extension, not paying off his remaining contract looks legally very open to challenge.
I wonder whether it’s the opposite: we’re making it clear that his dismissal for gross misconduct (if that’s what they’re effectively doing) cannot be construed as the club thinking he’s a criminal, which presumably he could challenge as constructive dismissal.

Maybe there are other grounds for gross misconduct: reputational damage etc?

Plus saying we don’t think he did it might make him less damaged in the eyes of potential suitors; loaners as well as buyers.

While I’m not as censorious of the club as many on here, not being in command of all the facts, I do agree that it’s all rather odd.

He has already been successfully hounded out of the club. What's the point of this thread?

It was a negotiated statement, drafted in concert with the player and his legal representatives
If so I’d have expected all the statement to have been drafted in concert; the player’s as well as the club’s.

The player’s statements make highly dubious assertions about his having been “cleared” or something similar. Surely the club’s lawyers would have baulked at that?

If so I’d have expected all the statement to have been drafted in concert; the player’s as well as the club’s.

The player’s statements make highly dubious assertions about his having been “cleared” or something similar. Surely the club’s lawyers would have baulked at that?
I'm guessing that they did exactly that, which is why there is a second statement from him personally. The club probably told him that he's free to express any views he likes as a private individual.

Agree. The way we've been dealing with this just showed we're naive and pushover. And terrified of media pressure.

Anyway imo we finally did the right thing. Hope he'd find his second chance elsewhere, fulfill his potential, become a better man and have a happy life with his wife and newborn.

I'm guessing that they did exactly that, which is why there is a second statement from him personally. The club probably told him that he's free to express any views he likes as a private individual.
Maybe. But he’s presumably still under contract (and thus being paid) by the club right now, so he isn’t really a private individual quite yet.

What's the incentive for anyone to pay a fee/loan him if he's going to just going to be a free agent in a couple of weeks?

What's the incentive for anyone to pay a fee/loan him if he's going to just going to be a free agent in a couple of weeks?
Nobody has said he will be a free agent.

We are helping him to find the best place for him to continue his career, and that may be a sale or a loan, and it may or may not involve a fee - nothing has been specified as yet.

It also strongly indicates we intend to sell rather than simply sack him as if we're saying we dont believe he committed the crimes he was charged with then our case for dismissal for gross misconduct and, by extension, not paying off his remaining contract looks legally very open to challenge.
Selling right now is nye on impossible at home or abroad, ironically a player, 18 months ago that every club in world football would have been interested in at £80-100m is now practically worthless!

The only markets that may take him are Turkey, Saudi, Qatar or maybe the Italian market but no one is paying a fee, no one is paying a loan fee and at best, a team may pay half his wages of £75k per week.

I think he will go to Roma and they now have a very limited choice where they go, I don’t see United releasing him they want to loan him with a view to selling him in 12 months when his value goes up.

Selling right now is nye on impossible at home or abroad, ironically a player, 18 months ago that every club in world football would have been interested in at £80-100m is now practically worthless!

The only markets that may take him are Turkey, Saudi, Qatar or maybe the Italian market but no one is paying a fee, no one is paying a loan fee and at best, a team may pay half his wages of £75k per week.

I think he will go to Roma and they now have a very limited choice where they go, I don’t see United releasing him they want to loan him with a view to selling him in 12 months when his value goes up.
He will be going into the last year of his contract if that's the case. I think we'd prefer a permanent move now and to just be rid of the whole thing.

He will be going into the last year of his contract if that's the case. I think we'd prefer a permanent move now and to just be rid of the whole thing.
Contract was 5+1, he currently has 2+1 so if they wanted to be completely ruthless they could extend next summer so he effectively has 2 years on his contract to increase his sell on Value.

I Totally agree on a permanent deal now but he would vetch at most £5-10m they will want more and no chance leaving it this late ?

He seems like a bit of a homebody, his partner and their families are local. I just can’t see him moving abroad, especially dragging his gf and baby along. But with the backlash that’s never going away, it might be the best thing for him to live more of a normal life.

Jose at Roma does seem the logical choice. Would be good for all parties involved if United could get some money for him. Using that to bolster the midfield and attack is crucial. Just sucks this all happened. Had so much potential and still does. You could see the writing on the wall with him early on couldnt you? The international break where he and Foden got sent home...
Trouble seems to follow him at the moment.. .or at least it did.

Would like to get some clarification from the club if he's getting sold, loaned out of just released. Preferably sold, maybe a club can fork out 20m for him?

He has already been successfully hounded out of the club. What's the point of this thread?

Jfc...he's already successfully abused girlfriend and forced the club's hand you mean? And this thread - fairly fecking obviously - is to discuss where he is going to end up now that any club with a brain cell or modicum of morality doesnt want him associated with their club. Clear?

It's a pretty interesting topic to see where will find him palatable now that the likes of Saudi Arabia and Qatar have said no.

Last edited:
Nobody has said he will be a free agent.

We are helping him to find the best place for him to continue his career, and that may be a sale or a loan, and it may or may not involve a fee - nothing has been specified as yet.
I'm pretty sure I saw some tweet by Stone saying if he doesn't find a club he'll leave by mutual consent.

Can't seem to find it now though, so maybe was wrong.

Quality control
Jfc...he's already successfully abused girlfriend and forced the club's hand you mean? And this thread - fairly fecking obviously - is to discuss where he is going to end up now that anyone with two braincells in the developed world doesnt want him associated with their club. Clear?
Do one.

Not even Gerrard wants him it seems. Interesting one this. Someone will definitely take him, but who?

That’s how a properly run efficient PL with family morales operates, we are talking about an inept Man United in 2023 ?

Not even Gerrard wants him it seems. Interesting one this. Someone will definitely take him, but who?

Gerrard's daughter's boyfriend is Lee Byrne, son of Kinahan mobster Liam Byrne. It's probably a bit late for Stevie G to be playing the "I'm not touching that" card. :lol:

Stevie Me is a proper hypocrite. Doesn't want anything to do with a suspected sexual abuser (which is right), but hangs out with Liam Byrne and Nathan Little and allows his daughter to date the son of a cartel leader.

https://extra.ie/2023/06/11/news/gerrard-warned-over-byrne

Gerrard's daughter's boyfriend is Lee Byrne, son of Kinahan mobster Liam Byrne. It's probably a bit late for Stevie G to be playing the "I'm not touching that" card. :lol:

Stevie Me is a proper hypocrite. Doesn't want anything to do with a suspected sexual abuser (which is right), but hangs out with Liam Byrne and Nathan Little and allows his daughter to date the son of a cartel leader.

https://extra.ie/2023/06/11/news/gerrard-warned-over-byrne
Like Gerrard even has a say in who joins or leaves el ettifaq:lol: if the saudi league want him they'll take him, not that i think Greenwood is going there.

Don’t really care where he goes as long as it’s not to a rival. More importantly he should grow into a decent human being (he’s still only a kid) after all of this and learn from his past actions.
He's 21, mate. He's not a kid anymore in real life terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.