Greenwood (Out) - signs for Getafe on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
But surely putting any of that small fee towards wages is going to be more beneficial to swaying the player at this point of the window.
Assuming that club is the first choice.
If he's indifferent between say, Roma and Lazio, it comes down to whichever club has a better offer to ourselves. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Assuming that club is the first choice.
If he's indifferent between say, Roma and Lazio, it comes down to whichever club has a better offer to ourselves. Hypothetically speaking of course.

I very much doubt he’ll be indifferent as to where he goes - he’s got a young family and they’re having to move at really short notice.

I’d imagine like any person would be he’ll be very invested as to where he ends up next.

Selective parts of the plan along with the decision were leaked. Some people at the club thought it was a shit plan and/or decision, leaked selective elements of the plan to a journalist with an agenda to stop the club bringing Greenwood back. You can agree with the decision and still realise that maybe the athletic and their sources only told the bits of the story to suit the narrative they were trying to run.
Of course it was selecting the main points that made it a terrible plan. Have united said anything to suggest it was well thought out? I don't see anything to counter the leaked points. Consultation with internal and external stakeholders was lacking and the decision was made by the executives without proper consultation. Not exactly a conspiracy or crazy narrative.

Nah, Greenwood will pick up where he left off after a few games. I don't think he just lost all that talent
Watch the leaked video. He’s gonna struggle to hit that level again without months of training and playing. It’s a big IF he can ever hit that level again. 2 years out of a 22 year olds development is huge

Watch the leaked video. He’s gonna struggle to hit that level again without months of training and playing. It’s a big IF he can ever hit that level again. 2 years out of a 22 year olds development is huge

That video was pretty much just him kicking a ball about without much urgency or even effort - I don't think a lot should be surmised from it

That's probably got a lot more to do with him not playing any football for 18 months than the Saudis being the arbiters of morality. Take a look at their human rights record.
What do you think sports washing is all about?

What do you think sports washing is all about?
It's a lot easier to do that by indoctrinating a set of fans like Newcastle's than it is to disassociate the Saudi Premier League from Saudi Arabia and its government.

Do you really think someone who is clearly obsessed with football didn't practice all this time? I don't. He is lacking match fitness, but his skills on the ball, technique, general fitness, etc, would be just fine. Mason didn't just sit around moping. Surely not...

The 2 years out think isn't a huge deal IMO. He's young, it's not as bad as getting a serious injury which young players come back from all the time. Doesn't take that long to pick yourself up. Biggest things will be mental and physical fitness which just takes a few months

I don't think the club handled the Greenwood situation well overall, but this specifically is a non-issue in context. The club, as one would expect, did a stakeholder analysis and anticipated a hostile reaction from some groups if Greenwood were to be brought back in. That's all there is to it.
They’d have had a hostile reaction from me if he’d been brought back, but I’m not expecting them to pay me compensation.

Haha what a joke. Concerned about public image? He’d increase viewership just like a certain other accused but acquitted rapist. That’s what they care about

Forget about the money, Social Media holds Greenwood's transfer, so any fee the demand will be the proceeds are forwarded to domestic violence charities.

I mentioned in the other thread but it's more relevant here, what happens if we are unable to find an agreement with another club that suits all parties in the short time left before the window shuts?

Say that was the case, heading into the final few hours of the window, does the club still have links with certain clubs where we send out players as part of their development? Royal Antwerp was it? Could we send him to one of those?

Haha what a joke. Concerned about public image? He’d increase viewership just like a certain other accused but acquitted rapist. That’s what they care about

One of them has several ballon d ors and titles. The other was a promising youth prospect. Huge difference.

Also date rape versus date rape plus beating the sht out of that person and having video/audio footage make for an even more different scenario.

Just yesterday there was a human rights watch report that the Saudi border guards were shooting Ethiopian migrants for fun and forcing young men to rape the women at gunpoint but yes, signing Greenwood will be the issue that spoils their image.

Newsflash!! That horse has long bolted the barn lads.

Do you really think someone who is clearly obsessed with football didn't practice all this time? I don't. He is lacking match fitness, but his skills on the ball, technique, general fitness, etc, would be just fine. Mason didn't just sit around moping. Surely not...
I agree. Weren’t they reports coming out saying he’s been training and even some suggested he was training at Carrington on his own.

:lol:

Sounds like they've got the same sort of advisors as the chap over in Russia if they think the perception of their league is positive.

Maybe a matter of potentially inviting a spotlight to issues you're already perceived as bad with.

Nah, Greenwood will pick up where he left off after a few games. I don't think he just lost all that talent

I have my doubts on what level he could reach too. He was always a player who relied much more on natural talent than hard work and determination. I remember it was common for the cafe to constantly state him going missing in second halves. Generally because his work rate was poor. To be lazy and also be out for so long isn’t great for his progress.

I’m sure 2 years out of football at such a crucial development stage in his career is going to have hampered him heavily. We’ll have to see whether he can reach that level and how soon. Some players even peak in their younger years.

He wasn’t allowed to train with the team, so yes he could train alone but it’s not the same as someone pushing you, having competition, learning tactically from the new coaches etc etc. he has a LOT to catch up on

Maybe a matter of potentially inviting a spotlight to issues you're already perceived as bad with.

Tbh I doubt there was even a slight possibility of him going there and they are probably aware so put out a somewhat ironic statement that will probably bring more attention to their issues than it would had they said nothing.

If you're looking to rebuild your career at 22, the last place you are going is a footballing graveyard like Saudi, especially given his current personal life situation.

Loan him out, hope he absolutely smashes it, then sell him for a big fee next season
The best solution. Just to get him away now. Hopefully he understands going abroad is his best bet.

He wasn’t allowed to train with the team, so yes he could train alone but it’s not the same as someone pushing you, having competition, learning tactically from the new coaches etc etc. he has a LOT to catch up on

On the training front, will be now return to training with the first team until his situation is resolved?

From a football perspective it might even be a good idea to have him play in some reserve fixtures or behind closed doors matches if any were scheduled. Would give potential suitors an idea of where he was.

Doubt he is interested in SA, too far away to move with a baby and too far away from their families. Italy, France or even Turkey more likely.

If you're looking to rebuild your career at 22, the last place you are going is a footballing graveyard like Saudi, especially given his current personal life situation.

How have you come to the conclusion that Saudi is a ‘footballing graveyard’?!

In a few years time we might be able to look back and say that that is what has transpired, but their project has only really started in the last 3 months and there’s been quite a range of ages in the players being transferred.

How have you come to the conclusion that Saudi is a ‘footballing graveyard’?!

In a few years time we might be able to look back and say that that is what has transpired, but their project has only really started in the last 3 months and there’s been quite a range of ages in the players being transferred.

Because 90% of the players in the league would barely get in a league one team.

People should really let it go. No, he is not going to train or play with us even if he is not loaned/sold this window, neither is he going to play for us in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.