Gaming Gran Turismo 5

They dumped the GT2 models for GT3, they kept the GT4 models for GT5. So yes, people like to moan, if GT5 only had 200 or so cars it would not have been enough, if GT5 has 800 GT4 cars, people have to moan. The revelation for me in GT5 is how well they have updated the general driving physics.

controller at times is actually easier than a wheel. especially if traction is poor. I can't finish a lap of top gear track in the lotus elise challenge but with the controller I finished second after a couple of tries.

the big difference is that it's easy to correct a slide with the controller (as you can full left/right steer quickly) as opposed to turning the wheel multiple times and then quickly turning it back to adjust.

respect to people who get gold on that challenge with a wheel (otherwise I just suck at this game big time!)

Thrust master Ferrari 3 in 1, Advertised in hmv as ideal for gt5

Gonna return it and wait for a logitech to come back in stock. Shame as I got £150 in hmv vouchers for Xmas, and that is the only wheel they do.

the-wire-hands-up.gif

:lol:

The missus got me the Wheel Stand Pro for Xmas to go with my DFGT, quality bit of engineering, well worth the money as it's solid as a rock and fully adjustable to any possible seating position, highly recommend it.

Damned if they did, damned if they didn't.

The choice was use GT4/PSP models that have been upgraded along with scratch built highly detailed models that will never need to be made again for future editions or cut out the older models and just have 200+ cars instead of 1000+. They have also stated they will be upgrading standard models (obviously not all of them) in the future.

If those GT4 models were updated then they were a lot more awful than I remember them.

They dumped the GT2 models for GT3, they kept the GT4 models for GT5. So yes, people like to moan, if GT5 only had 200 or so cars it would not have been enough, if GT5 has 800 GT4 cars, people have to moan. The revelation for me in GT5 is how well they have updated the general driving physics.

I'm not sure that 'updated general driving physics' - which is a fairly broad statement really means much, I'm still able to bounce a car off a barrier at 85 mph and exploit it to make sure I take the corner at optimum speed, without spinning out, without having the front of my car implode completely etc.

GT5 The Good:
Some of the cars are exquisitely modelled.
The tracks are absolutely fantastic, both old and new, graphically and etc.
It's amazing fun.

GT5 The Bad:
It's not as hard as GT used to be. (Maybe I'm older + better)
Vast majority of the cars aren't any better than they were on the....PS2.

I know I'm moaning but I'm an avid GT fan and have been since the PS1 when I first got GT at the ripe old age of 8 or 9.

I was more blown away by GT3 A-Spec.

The standard models don't look that bad, they were always going to look worse with the advances in HD gaming.

My biggest gripe with the game is once you get to a certain point its just a massive grind, I really want to get the X1 challenges started but im still a level and a half away from getting to the level and the experience points arn't nearly enough to get me there anytime soon. The seasonal events have helped a little but still I shouldn't have to be grinding in a game with 1000 cars, just give us more events.

If those GT4 models were updated then they were a lot more awful than I remember them.

They were not updated, they were copy/pasted verbatim.

I'm not sure that 'updated general driving physics' - which is a fairly broad statement really means much, I'm still able to bounce a car off a barrier at 85 mph and exploit it to make sure I take the corner at optimum speed, without spinning out, without having the front of my car implode completely etc.

I said driving physics, not collision physics - two totally different things. Why do you want to have your car implode in any case? Ramming into things means that you are not playing the game right, are drunk, or are not very good. In the previous online game we had, I got rammed, the car wouldn't go higher that 3rd gear and kept veering to the right on its own.

Vast majority of the cars aren't any better than they were on the....PS2.

Yet over 200 are more highly detailed than in ANY other racing game on any platform.

I was more blown away by GT3 A-Spec.

And it had less than 200 cars. GT2 had over 650, but they dumped them.

But surely the question is, why would you want to do that? That basically amounts to cheating in the context of the game, whether it allows you to do that or not is not the issue here as you are only cheating yourself.

They were not updated, they were copy/pasted verbatim.

Well that doesn't make it any better, considering the amount of time this game took to make and considering also that they copy and pasted well over half the cars it makes you wonder why they couldn't find a little time just to iron over some obvious flaws on the cars, a little smoothing here on jagged edges etc.

I said driving physics, not collision physics - two totally different things. Why do you want to have your car implode in any case? Ramming into things means that you are not playing the game right, are drunk, or are not very good. In the previous online game we had, I got rammed, the car wouldn't go higher that 3rd gear and kept veering to the right on its own.

Well, driving physics and collision physics aren't two totally separate entities though as they should act upon each other in context of the game. If my car imploded it would stop me doing it or others doing it, for a game that is meant to be realistic there are some very, very unrealistic elements which didn't need to be that way.

Yet over 200 are more highly detailed than in ANY other racing game on any platform.

Granted, I'd have just preferred to have those 200, or say, drop the 800 or so and add another 150 premium - making it 350 fantastic cars.

And it had less than 200 cars. GT2 had over 650, but they dumped them.

Good, they looked better. I'm for realism and quality rather than quantity. When I play GT I usually stick to a collection of cars I've learned how to use and tend to only buy cars I'd love to own in real life anyway. Of course, this is simply how I play the game and I understand some people love trying a variety of different cars.

But surely the question is, why would you want to do that? That basically amounts to cheating in the context of the game, whether it allows you to do that or not is not the issue here as you are only cheating yourself.

The gamer isn't too blame, it's such an obvious flaw, I'll actually get the name of the track and the corner it is so you can see for yourself - of course you may not want to as you perceive it as cheating - I see it as if the game mechanics allow it I know at that particular corner I can go full speed, hit the barrier and carry on. I'm not really into gaming morals when it comes to versus the computer.

The gamer isn't too blame, it's such an obvious flaw, I'll actually get the name of the track and the corner it is so you can see for yourself - of course you may not want to as you perceive it as cheating - I see it as if the game mechanics allow it I know at that particular corner I can go full speed, hit the barrier and carry on. I'm not really into gaming morals when it comes to versus the computer.

Of course he is/you are, no one is making you drive the game in an unrealistic manner, you can choose NOT to use the exploit like most other people will who want to use the game as a driving simulator and not some pointless arcade racer like you seem to be doing. Perhaps if you concentrated on driving properly you wouldn't need to use this exploit to beat the game, I think you'd find far more satisfaction from the game that way.

The choice is yours and only yours, don't blame the game :)

Of course he is/you are, no one is making you drive the game in an unrealistic manner, you can choose NOT to use the exploit like most other people will who want to use the game as a driving simulator and not some pointless arcade racer like you seem to be doing. Perhaps if you concentrated on driving properly you wouldn't need to use this exploit to beat the game, I think you'd find far more satisfaction from the game that way.

The choice is yours and only yours, don't blame the game :)

Erm...The fact is if you went online and people use this 'exploit' and win and do it repeatedly, you either take it up too, or lose. It's upto the game programmers too iron simple flaws like this out. A game like GT in simulation mode should not have arcade characteristics like this. Had I made the game I'd be too blame.

I love GT, but this game isn't perfect and I'm sorry if this example makes you think I'm some sort of unmoral gamer, a cheater, an exploiter or whatever.

At some corners, infact, it's largely pointless to use the racing line at all. For example, in the IB or IC license testing there is one in which you're on a dirt track on a long sweeping corner, basically you don't even have to USE the dirt road to get a very quick silver / nearly gold medal. You can just hug the barrier without being disqualified.

Now if that online all the 'moral' gamers have just lost. But hey, keep the moral high ground.

You miss the point that it's a game that should be accessible to all, not just those that are very good at it. If it was made in such a way that it was too difficult from the start and any little mistake would total the car, then beginners would soon get fed up with it and never play it again. The entire idea is to slowly introduce the game to the player and as they level up it gets more difficult. It's one of the reasons why GT is loved by the masses and simulation people, because it has something for everyone, and is one of the reasons it's so successful. If you want iRacing, go play iRacing.

Erm...The fact is if you went online and people use this 'exploit' and win and do it repeatedly, you either take it up too, or lose. It's upto the game programmers too iron simple flaws like this out. A game like GT in simulation mode should not have arcade characteristics like this. Had I made the game I'd be too blame.

I love GT, but this game isn't perfect and I'm sorry if this example makes you think I'm some sort of unmoral gamer, a cheater, an exploiter or whatever.

At some corners, infact, it's largely pointless to use the racing line at all. For example, in the IB or IC license testing there is one in which you're on a dirt track on a long sweeping corner, basically you don't even have to USE the dirt road to get a very quick silver / nearly gold medal. You can just hug the barrier without being disqualified.

Now if that online all the 'moral' gamers have just lost. But hey, keep the moral high ground.

Erm....have you been online with it, there has been a damage update that would pretty much render this exploit void I would guess, just ask Weaste, plus I would choose not to race against people that would race like this anyway, see, my choice.

On the second point, no need to apologise, you paid your money you can play the game any way you wish, if that means cheating then so be it, again, your choice, it's no skin off my nose and not the point of this discussion anyway.

I'm going to have a bit of a rant.
I bought the game, have played about 10hrs on it and haven't played it since. The problem I have is that it doesn't properly utilize the clutch & H shifter.
I have played Iracing, Forza 3, Race Pro with the clutch and they all implement it correctly.

In GT5 you have to granny shift in to gear or it won't go into gear. You have to let the revs go completely down to 0RPM before you can select the next gear. Supposedly this was a feature they introduced so that there was no advantage for clutch users over non-clutch users.
For a game that prides itself on being a simulator, it's the worst incarnation of a simulator if you can't change gear the same way you would if using the same car in real life.
It's also quite poor that the people who are more likely to stay with the game longer than just you're regular gamers are the one's that are now starting to turn away from the game. There are some pretty pissed off G25, G27 & Fanatec users right now.

Has anyone managed to get gold in Madrid on the Bonus Race 2 seasonal event?

I'm convinced that it's impossible. I've just about managed 2nd place, but even then, the Focus RS in 1st was 19 seconds ahead of my Focus ST. It's ridiculous! :mad:

Anyone got a truck I can borrow to do do the truck races?

Psn - jamesparkin

Been meaning to ask this...whats the story with the truck race? can't seem to buy any of the pickup trucks.

I can only assume you're given a truck at some point for winning a race but which is it?

Been meaning to ask this...whats the story with the truck race? can't seem to buy any of the pickup trucks.

I can only assume you're given a truck at some point for winning a race but which is it?

You need to do the International A license, just a bronze trophy on each will do. They'll give you a Dodge RAM for that.

Right what have I done wrong, I've some seriously tuned cars, but they'll only do like 130mph?

I'm shit with tuning, advise me bitches

I still don't have the Red Bull challenge unlocked, did the Indy 500 last night and won that by 16 laps but the experience points didn't really get me much closer. I need another set of the seasonal events to come along to get me over the Level 30 line.

Right what have I done wrong, I've some seriously tuned cars, but they'll only do like 130mph?

I'm shit with tuning, advise me bitches

You probably need to buy new transmissions for them and then adjust the top speed of the ratios in the car settings from either your garage or before the race starts.

Oh ffs, that sounds like effort

Any specific ratios for different types of cars?

I've a Ford Lightning Truck with like 660Bhp and a Hemicuda with like 708Bhp and they'll only do 135 odd, will they be different ratios?

Oh ffs, that sounds like effort

Any specific ratios for different types of cars?

I've a Ford Lightning Truck with like 660Bhp and a Hemicuda with like 708Bhp and they'll only do 135 odd, will they be different ratios?

You dont need to go near the ratios for them if you fit them with a fully customizable transmission you can go into tuning and up the top speed

The truck will definatly need a longer ratio, its never going to get to a massive top speed even though it has massive power so something like a 170mph top speed would do you on an oval to be safe in the drag of other cars.

General rule to use is if its redlining before the end of a straight your ratio is too low, if its never redlining in top gear its too high.

You dont need to go near the ratios for them if you fit them with a fully customizable transmission you can go into tuning and up the top speed

This seems easier?

The truck will definatly need a longer ratio, its never going to get to a massive top speed even though it has massive power so something like a 170mph top speed would do you on an oval to be safe in the drag of other cars.

General rule to use is if its redlining before the end of a straight your ratio is too low, if its never redlining in top gear its too high.

I honestly have no idea about ratio's, will I just have a google and then trial and error?

Yeah it is...fit a fully customisable transmission, go to garage, go to your truck and select it. Then go to tuning and then select transmission...you'll then see the fully customisable transmission fitted and settings option. Go there and the bottom setting is to adjust your top speed.

This seems easier?

I honestly have no idea about ratio's, will I just have a google and then trial and error?

Buy the full transmission if you can afford it and then just set the top speed like Stemmy said.

Yeah it is...fit a fully customisable transmission, go to garage, go to your truck and select it. Then go to tuning and then select transmission...you'll then see the fully customisable transmission fitted and settings option. Go there and the bottom setting is to adjust your top speed.

Buy the full transmission if you can afford it and then just set the top speed like Stemmy said.

Will I only have to adjust it the once? or will it reset for every race?

Just the once as far as I know. I only adjusted the dodge truck for the daytona race and I doubt I'd use it again