Gaming Gran Turismo 5

I'm glad they put that level of detail. Gran Turismo always shone graphically. Nothing I like more than smoking a cigarette while watching a replay of a flawless race (if damage is good I might start to watch replays of non-flawless races as well) :)

gt5-nurburgring-gp-4.jpeg

gt5-nurburgring-gp-3.jpeg

gt5-nurburgring-gp-1.jpeg

Peter Lyon, a MotorTrend editor who will be joining teammate Kazunori Yamauchi for this weekend’s 24 Hours Nurburgring race, was first to try out the latest demo including the Nurburgring GP circuit and described it as “simply stunning”. His most notable observation, though, was that of a new penalty system:

“New features of the game include a tyre grip penalty which temporarily reduces grip if you go off the track and onto the grass or into the gravel. It takes around three to four corners to retain full grip again. Drivers will also feel like they are in the hot seat when they crash into a guard rail and sparks fly.”

This is excellent news, as the new system sounds much like what happens in real life when tires lose grip after picking up dirt and debris off-track. Several new screenshots have also been released, which I have included below. As always, I’ll post the full 8 or 18-megapixel images in a new post when they are all available.

The tyre grip penalty isn't new to the series. Those that played prologue will notice a distinct lack of grip after going off.

Looks no better or worse than the latest Forza. I reckon a whole lot of you will be disappointed. Im sure it will be good but nothing ground breaking

I am looking forward to the Nascar and WRC cars the most, if they get the rally bit right then it just may lose me days of my life.

I hope for a good assortment of classic beautiful cars like GT4, I love them.

Graphics look awesome, but they should do after the amount of years they've been making this for.

GTHD and GT5:P were mainly based on a ported GT4 game engine, that has now been redone from scratch. What has taken them the time is modelling 1000 or so cars each with over 2,000,000 polygons, 500,000 or so for the in game LODs. They took the approach for going forward, modelling all of the cars as individual pieces separately, doors, chassis, bonnet, boot, etc. - the idea being that they will never have to model them again, only new cars. So, with GT6 and above, they can mainly focus on tracks, physics, and gameplay enhancements, they will never need to redo the cars. The new game engine also now allows them to input parameters for each car and in theory it should then behave as the real car does.

After lunch yes, but I still don't see how the hell we'll get in the same match/race.

Online system is based on those trying to race in the same race at the same time. Hence the reason it some times takes an age to join a race. So if we join a roughly the same time in a deserted lobby then the chances of us being paired up are increased. GTPlanet members have been doing it for years.

Some not too happy people on the net, it seems as though they are not going to show the game in full today, probably only a new trailer, but there is a closed door invitation event tomorrow with no video allowed, so it seems as if it's not quite finished. :lol:

Retailing for $99.99 SRP, the Collector's Edition includes a 1:43 scale collectible diecast car, a 300-page guide to cars and racing techniques, a GT-branded key chain, a voucher for five (5) DLC cars, and a numbered certificate of authenticity, all housed in stylish, premium packaging.

Collector's Edition Content Details:

Gran Turismo® 5 game

Exclusive limited edition 1:43 scale diecast 2009 Nissan GT-R Spec V with custom Gran Turismo livery designed by Polyphony Digital, produced by well-known collectible car maker Kyosho

In-depth 300-page car-lover’s guide written by the experts at Polyphony Digital, covering everything from the history of the modern automobile to driving techniques and game reference material

Custom etched Gran Turismo key chain

Voucher for five (5) exclusive high-end cars with custom Gran Turismo livery and performance upgrades

Numbered certificate of authenticity

Custom collector’s packaging

mvt8k7.jpg

That's it, I'm going for the collectors.

Day and Night transition from the demo on the show floor, crap driver as always.

Apparently the transition here has been sped up due to the amount of time people get a go with it, so it will be much more subtle in-game.

Gran Turismo 5 PlayStation 3 Hands On - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

The day before yesterday, everybody in the games industry convinced themselves that Lady Gaga was going to turn up at Activision's E3 party, and she didn't. Yesterday, everybody in the games industry convinced themselves that David Jaffe wasn't going to unveil a new Twisted Metal, and he did.

In the midst of so much speculation and confusion, it's comforting to know that some things don't change: another E3, another chance to get a look at Gran Turismo 5, Polyphony Digital's personal Arcades Project. It's spent the last half-decade or so growing and growing with no end in sight - a game we get to visit once a year in carefully controlled circumstances, as if we're making an annual visit to an uncle who's stuck in prison.

Finally, though, the end is in sight. Gran Turismo will be hitting the US in November, and the rest of the world will probably be fairly close behind. Even Australia. "It would take too long to explain everything regarding GT5," laughs Kazunori Yamauchi, showing off the game backstage at Sony's booth. He should know: it's taken him long enough to make it.

On the track, Gran Turismo 5 is a dream to drive: the cars have distinct personalities, the skyboxes are huge and dramatic, and the handling can take in anything from arcade racing to simulation stuff so exacting I struggle to travel in a straight line. Today's not about getting another demo, however - there have already been enough of these, along with the little matter of a Prologue to get players accustomed to the basics. No, today Yamauchi wants to explain a bit about just what he's been making all these years, starting, as ever, with the cars.

There are two types of car in Gran Turismo, apparently: premium cars and standard cars. The latter, it's worth noting, are only standard by Yamauchi's exacting principles: there's over 800 of them, they cover the majority of the vehicles included in all the previous Gran Turismo games, including the PSP version, and they've been optimised and upscaled for the PS3.

If that bothers you, a show reel of standard cars - Dodge muscle numbers, streamlined F1 concepts, and something that looks to my untrained eye like a Mini Clubman with way too many rallying headlights - hardly makes them seem shabby. They're glossy, finely detailed, and a fair match for anything you might have seen in Project Gotham or Forza.

The 200 premium cars that take the final count past the 1000 mark are something else, however. The premiums have been lavished with a slightly worrying amount of detail - every single screw is visible in the hubs, the interiors have been recreated down to the stitching (standard cars won't have interiors, which is a bit sad, but there are, like, 800 of them), and their undersides have been comprehensively modelled to take into account a new physics system which, along with allowing for dents and scratches, can sends your ride flipping through the air during collisions.

Yamauchi likes to move in close on the models to let people see the individual pieces of disk brakes, or the engine parts dimly visible through grills, and when he compares pictures of a genuine and GT5 Nissan GTR, the only way you can tell the difference is that one of them has the reflection of the man taking the picture in the window. (Yep, I think that's Yamauchi too.)

Included in the premium garage will be nine NASCAR models, including those used by superstars - in Middle America, at any rate - like Carl Edwards and Brian Vickers. Brian Vickers! I know. GT5 allows you to race by the NASCAR rules, as well. Seeing it in motion seems a bit too brutal to fit comfortably into the rest of the game, but it's an excellent opportunity to enjoy that new physics deformation system and some truly epic crashes - although, typically, even fender benders look rather pretty and artful in Yamauchi's universe.

Polyphony hasn't just been modelling cars, of course, and it's here that, if you take into account the team's obsessive talent for minutiae, you start to realise why the game has been in the oven for a while. GT5's tracks - the latest inclusions include Madrid City, Tuscany, Rome Circuit, the Nurburgring and the good old Top Gear Test Track - can take as long as two and a half years to piece together. Once again, that dedication pays off, and whether it's the dusty dirt track of Tuscany to the heavily graffiti'd road surface of the Nurburgring, Polyphony's brought its locations into the game in a way that's vivid, solid, and extremely pretty.

It's all so pretty, in fact, that the developer's thrown in two different photo modes. The first one is a fairly standard affair for capturing snaps of cars as they whiz around the tracks. The second, however, is a little more elaborate. Photo Travel allows you to take your favourite cars to picturesque parts of the world, stroll through the stage on foot - from a first-person perspective - and take pictures of your motor until the last crows fall from the sky and the moon turns brittle and crumbles into dust.

Before we can say, "This is starting to sound like some automotive take on Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Mr Yamauchi, and it's making us a little uncomfortable," he's fired it up and we're off to Kyoto, to a part of town called Gion. Choosing from a range of spots to park his car, Yamauchi enters walking mode, and we're heading into the silent midnight streets of the city, checking out the posh little houses made of wood and glass, wandering past twinkling lanterns, and watching the cherry blossom drift on the breeze.

Yamauchi only has eyes for the car, however, and a click of a button switches us to the camera viewfinder where there are - would you believe it? - dozens of different options allowing you to zoom out, rotate, tilt, and screw around with the focus. After playing with the framing for so long you could be forgiven for thinking that he's forgotten anyone else is in the room, Yamauchi finally takes a picture. It's not great, as it happens, but photography's not really his thing, is it? His thing is rebuilding the Nurburgring from the gravel upwards.

From the photo mode, Yamauchi turns his attention to the online suite, as this is the first Gran Turismo game to include extensive PSN functionality. GT5's actually become a rather social game over the course of its development, and the current build supports BBS, personal logs, mail, and something called My Lounge. That turns out to be a friends network of sorts, where you can gather with other players and chat, or check up on their progress in the game, alongside the nifty stuff like setting up races and spectating on events that are already underway.

You really can follow the action as closely as you want, too, moving about the track, focusing in on the separate cars, and sending messages to the players who are racing, hopefully catching them at just the wrong moment so they make a mess of the next corner and dump their Porsche into a nearby tree.

Dozens of other details spill forth after that: the day-to-night transitions that can take place during a race, the 3D visuals and face-tracking in cockpit view (combine those last two and the results are astonishing as the horizon line disappears into the distance), classy visual effects like smoke illumination, collision sparks, and kicked-up debris. Whatever Polyphony's been doing for the last few years, its staff probably hasn't been clocking in at the office and then juggling Pop-Tarts all day.

It's not just a racer, really: it's a Noah's Ark for cars, a haven that will never be touched by rust or sky-rocketing fuel prices. And although while GT5's been in development the driving genre has gone through plenty of transitions of its own, if anything, the explosive excess of contemporary titles has given Yamauchi's game even more of an air of class, as it ditches the dynamite and the levelling up to rely instead on simply being comprehensive and beautiful.

Halfway through today's presentation, I think I may have realised that Yamauchi is probably quietly bonkers, but it's unquestionably the good kind of bonkers. He's a heroic completist, the kind of person who builds the unlikeliest monuments, who discovers new entries on the periodic table, or who constructs fantastical rockets and lands on the moon.

The kind of person who creates elaborately detailed videogames, and eventually ships them.

Much debate about the interior views, and it seems a bit odd that Polyphony would not do it for all vehicles. Lets be honest, it might come across as half arsed to most. Will be interesting, but it doesn't actually bother me that much. I spent 12 years racing on bumper and hood cam, having a bunch of cars that i'll barely ever drive with them only, is not going to piss me off all that much. In saying that, if Poly can only do 130 in 3 years, then something isn't right about the size of their development team.

My guess is, that other cars will have an interior view, but only from just above the speedo onwards. You won't be able to see much of the dash or the entirety of the steering wheel like in Prologue.

I reckon it means that the interior is not fully modelled, you can't look about, the dials don't work, etc.

Yamauchi: Standard models won’t have an interior view, less detailing and no crash model. The problem is that premium models take a lot of time to create and we wanted to include many more vehicles than before. To make premium versions of all the cars we want to put in would take ten years or more and I don’t think people are prepared to wait long!

I reckon it means that the interior is not fully modelled, you can't look about, the dials don't work, etc.

Yamauchi: Standard models won’t have an interior view, less detailing and no crash model. The problem is that premium models take a lot of time to create and we wanted to include many more vehicles than before. To make premium versions of all the cars we want to put in would take ten years or more and I don’t think people are prepared to wait long!

I'm talking in pro logue esq detail 'before the damage and all that shebang. Although in saying that, its still an incredibly massive task.

00199921-photo-wrc-4.jpg

Something like that Weaste. It would put a lot of gamers to bed and to be honest, i'd be quite happy with a compromise such as that.

Well, there must be something they are showing behind closed doors today, what it is is anybody's guess, they simply don't want video of it getting out. I don't think that there is an embargo on the info, so we may find out later.