Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Bring back Avram Grant
KsiqZB.gif

This is from the Guardian (Quotes from Potter to the media)

“Nevertheless if you ask me: ‘Is it hard, is it tough, is it nice to hear?’ – as much as I’ve had support, I’ve had some not particularly nice emails come through that want me to die and want my kids to die. That’s obviously not pleasant.

“But if you’ve asked about it for four months – for four months I’m under pressure, I’m under pressure, I’m under pressure, because you guys need to sell stuff – what do you expect in the end? And if we don’t get the results then obviously that’s what happens. That’s football. You know there’s a problem when the email that has been sent is from Potterbastard@gmail.com.”

Chelsea are aware of the emails and have offered Potter any support he needs.

Bizarre stuff. He’s clear not coping and I feel for him.

Have Chelsea came out with a decent statement on this? I’ve heard them say ‘it’s up to Graham Potter what he wants to do” but surely that’s not it?!

Don't think Boehly cares about being #1 in football. All the stuff that goes on around that club seems to have nothing to do with football at all. Being #1 in transfers is all that matters and they're the most successful club ever if you view it that way. Fans are happy getting outplayed by Southampton as long as there's an announcement next day that they've made a bid to sign Felix for 100m permanently, or are exploring signing Oshimen.
I’d be concerned that he’s not heard about a little thing called relegation.

Maybe he thinks Chelsea get first dibs on any player in the league at the start of next season if they finish lower?

Maybe he thinks Chelsea get first dibs on any player in the league at the start of next season if they finish lower?
We're not getting relegated.

I know, there's no chance of that happening, but 4th place is up for grabs if Potter was sacked now and someone like Enrique or Mancini came in
I think that ship has sailed sadly. Although I thought that after January and we would have been right back in had we got 9 points in the last 3 games so who knows.

I think that ship has sailed sadly. Although I thought that after January and we would have been right back in had we got 9 points in the last 3 games so who knows.
Fancy everyone above Chelsea (with the exception of Pool) to start dropping points slowly but surely. Newcastle are on the wain, you don't know which Tottenham will turn up, Liverpool will beat teams in the bottom 5 but will climb as the others drop more points than they do. If Chelsea were to win the next 4 out of 5 they'd be right back in the mix.

The problem for Chelsea is something like 7 of last 9 are extremely tricky or difficult. They’re using an easier fixture list to struggle so if they don’t pick up soon they’re run big, big trouble. Leeds at home in a week is looking like a 6 pointer at this stage

The problem for Chelsea is something like 7 of last 9 are extremely tricky or difficult. They’re using an easier fixture list to struggle so if they don’t pick up soon they’re run big, big trouble. Leeds at home in a week is looking like a 6 pointer at this stage
Trouble based on what relegation? It would take a totally unprecented combination of results for it even to become a possibility.

It's just sensationalist stuff, like it was Liverpool under Roy, Arsenal under Arteta's first full season and even you lot when you had that woeful start in 19/20.

Our pre-season was absolutely terrible. I said it at the time that it started too late.
By the time we played arsenal on the 23rd July we had played 2 games; club America 16th July, Charlotte 20th July.
To put that into perspective; Arsenal had played Ipswich July 2nd, Nurnberg July 8th, Everton July 16th and Orlando July 20th. It was their 5th match.
Further perspective, Man Utd we’re playing for the 4th time on 23rd.

On top of that the squad that went..
Alonso
Emerson
Kenedy
Ampadu
Colwill
Sarr
Gilmour
Vale
Anjorin
Batshuayi
Hudson-Odoi
Werner

Are no longer at the club at this moment in time. Some sold, some loaned. 12 out of 29 players. At what point do we consider that good practice.

Again I have no idea who was at fault for that shit show but Tuchel needs to take some accountability. Fans and rivals fans seem to always ignore that he caused some of the problems that we face in the present like the summer transfer window and I don’t really understand why he gets a pass but Potter doesn’t.

Though I can say our bad planning may have contributed to a poor beginning to the season I don’t agree that it would be continuing to affect us at this point in the season. But if Potter has an issue with it I sure hope he has a better schedule for the coming summer.

This doesn't account for the fact that the start under Tuchel wasn't terrible. It definitely did not look like a team in disarray till Potter showed up. Potter had a decent chance during the world cup break to work with a large portion of your team (only 12 were in the world up squad and many of them being kicked out of the tournament early).

Shifting focus to non football topics to personal sympathy is a strategy that does not bode well for a Chelsea manager.

This doesn't account for the fact that the start under Tuchel wasn't terrible. It definitely did not look like a team in disarray till Potter showed up. Potter had a decent chance during the world cup break to work with a large portion of your team (only 12 were in the world up squad and many of them being kicked out of the tournament early).

Shifting focus to non football topics to personal sympathy is a strategy that does not bode well for a Chelsea manager.
He wasn't even blaming Tuchel. Tuchel himself critisised that pre season.

This is from the Guardian (Quotes from Potter to the media)

“Nevertheless if you ask me: ‘Is it hard, is it tough, is it nice to hear?’ – as much as I’ve had support, I’ve had some not particularly nice emails come through that want me to die and want my kids to die. That’s obviously not pleasant.

“But if you’ve asked about it for four months – for four months I’m under pressure, I’m under pressure, I’m under pressure, because you guys need to sell stuff – what do you expect in the end? And if we don’t get the results then obviously that’s what happens. That’s football. You know there’s a problem when the email that has been sent is from Potterbastard@gmail.com.”
I just sent an email to this address and it bounced back. So not only is he a shit manager, he's also a barefaced liar.

I just sent an email to this address and it bounced back. So not only is he a shit manager, he's also a barefaced liar.

Also, if you got death threats to your kids, why would you be going on about it in the national media? Nice way to use your own kids as a shield for struggling in your job. Ten Hag is the man, because he wants to talk about football, any question off football and he tries to get back to it straight away. That means his players do the same. Potter likes talking about all sorts of other stuff to the side of football. “Being vulnerable” might be cool with a few journalists, but I don’t think it works that well leading top players and getting Chelsea’s fans onside.

The start under Tuchel can definitely be described as terrible. Of the seven games he managed (6 EPL, 1 CL) we did of course win three of them, which is a higher win percentage than under Potter so far, but the performances in each of those early season Tuchel wins were the 'take the points and run' kind and in the games against Leicester and West Ham we were very lucky to escape with 3 points. Also we lost to Southampton, Leeds and Dinamo Zagreb on an aggregate score of 1-6.

As for the World Cup break to 'work with a large portion of the team'. Like you said, 12 players were at the World Cup but you're totally ignoring the fact Kepa, Fofana, James, Chilwell, RLC and Kante were all injured throughout the break and Broja did his ACL during it as well so in reality Potter was missing 19 players for the World Cup break and had only a handful of fit first teamers available for training. I would think it's quite difficult to try instill a new philosophy when you have maybe 6-7 players there and a handful of academy players to fill the training sessions...

When unqualified people are under pressure, their true character emerges. This is quite low.

When unqualified people are under pressure, their true character emerges. This is quite low.

He's just echoing Tuchel's criticism of the organisation of Chelsea's pre-season. Lots of different time zones in a short period in very hot weather.

Obviously the media spin it to seem like he's blaming Tuchel when he's actually just agreeing with him, but of course that's not a juicy headline.

He brought up the subject of preseason, and then says he doesn't want to talk about it? :wenger::lol:
He didn't bring it up, he was answering a question about whether the pre season had impacted the season, he gave some details about what he was told but then didn't want to go into specifics because he wasn't there.

Tuchel at the time said the organisation of the pre season was crap so that isn't news. As usual just people trying to pile on to a struggling manager.

On page 3 of the “how to buy yourself more time in a job you’re not qualified for” manual, try throwing the old boss under the bus, maybe even suggest things were the worst they’ve ever been.

Mention it then when asked about it say you don’t want to talk about it..

Strange stuff. It seems he’s complaining about the same thing Tuchel was and that contributed in him being fired.

He didn't bring it up, he was answering a question about whether the pre season had impacted the season, he gave some details about what he was told but then didn't want to go into specifics because he wasn't there.

Tuchel at the time said the organisation of the pre season was crap so that isn't news. As usual just people trying to pile on to a struggling manager.

That makes more sense if he didn’t bring it up although I do think he’d of been better deflecting away from the past and looking at the here and now. Can’t see what that achieves.

I think he’s struggling with the media at the moment and speaking far too much.

Didn’t Chelsea hire a few people from Brighton? They’re absolutely fecked aren’t they stuck with this lot

If they lose this they go into the Leeds game knowing a Leeds win takes Leeds to within 6 points of them.
And Leeds are fighting relegation

Don't understand Chelsea. Have many good managers and keep sacking them until they have the worst one.

He managed to buy so many overrated players at obscene price and the players will failed him anyway.

His last half in charge of Chelsea. Absolutely abysmal tenure. Good for his pocket, but he should have taken another job after Brighton.

If they lose here, he surely must be close to getting sacked?

Boehly's long term contracts will bite him on this. Potters on a 5 year deal.

My question is if Chelsea fails to get into the CL what happens to it's FFP next season in view of it's huge transfer outlay and wage bill?

The strange thing about Chelsea's predicament is that the players on the pitch are clearly fighting to win their matches, even when a goal down. So I can't say that they are throwing Potter under the bus. Probably an issue with quality / tactics?

You cannot just buy a bunch of primadonna and expect them to all play well together. That's like buying 5 pogbas in one season.

Why now? They’re long past that point to where it saves anything for them

I mean if people took that view why would you ever sack anyone? Why did we sack Moyes when it was already long past the point of saving the season?

Fan anger is rising.

They never lose to Spurs normally too so if he manages to lose to them it will be really bad with their fans.