Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Definitely not, but I suspect you and I have different reasons :D
I actually have a soft spot for Chelsea (weird I know) but speaking objectively it's just too idiotic to sack your manager twice in the same season, he should get at least till the end of the season to make something out of this.

Madrid did it once in 2019 but they had Zidane lined up so a different situation.

He shouldn’t get sacked but probably will if this continues much longer. They aren’t putting this amount of money into the club to finish 10th.

I wouldn't lay the blame entirely at Potter's door. They actually had decent control of the match for a lot of tonight but their attack is so bereft of creativity and goals they didn't capitalise on it at all. Tuchel had the same problems and Chelsea have been pretty terrible to watch for a while.

They need to sign a proper goalscorer and some attacking midfielders and/or wingers who actually carry some attacking threat. They have far too many passengers currently, it's why they look so weak whenever James and Chilwell have a spell out of the team.

You are a hypocrite if you were cussing out our players and absolving Rangnick of the shit show of last season but calling Potter "out of his depth/Moyes" etc. If you thought our players were downing tools then Chelsea's are doing the same for this manager as well. And by popular caf logic, "should all be sold" or Potter should "burn the whole place down".

Don't care about Potter or Chelsea, but I expect a bit of consistency when judging him.

if you really believe in him, run head first into the wall at a train station platform.
Screenshot-2023-01-05-23-17-03-69-40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

If/when he gets the sack, where to for Potters? Everton, West Ham or Leicester? Spurs after Conte?
I do believe he's been unlucky with injuries and that he has the capacity to turn it around if given time...but his Chelsea-future is hanging by a thread at the moment.
England?

Didn't realize he's only had about 4 full years of management in England...one with Swansea, 3+ with Brighton, and now a handful of months with Chelsea. He was in Sweden for 7 years before joining Swansea for 1.

Never won anything of meaning as a manager and has little experience with massive international players or players who have won the lot.

If Chelsea stick with him, they need to gut the team and get rid of the older fringe players like Aubameyang, Kante, Jorginho, Azpil and move Pulisic, Ziyech. Still don't have creative players up front, no recognized goal scorer, just some nice expensive CBs and defenders who have cost a fortune - Fofana, Cucurella, Koulibaly, Chilwell, Badiashile. And they are discussing Enzo, Mudryk, etc. It's another merry-go-round at Chelsea.

Potter is the least person i would criticise for this mess.
This is years of bad recruitment, sacking managers, having no structure or style of play catching up with us.
This goes from the previous ownership to the new ownership giving TT a transfer window to buy players and then sacking him straight after.
Potter out solves absoutley nothing.

Chelsea have so many players unavailable it’s hard to judge him right now .
What he did with Brighton was impressive.
If I’m in charge of Chelsea I’d give him some time. And some backing , which they seem to be giving him……

They have to be the real idiots to sack Potter. Many foresaw this coming when he was appointed, simply because of the mess happening over there.
Potter is a really good manager, no doubt about it. The only concern people originally have about him is whether he can manage a team scoring a lot. I don’t think it a problem for him if he can have a squad well established.
It’s time for that new owner to show if he has any sense.

I actually have a soft spot for Chelsea (weird I know) but speaking objectively it's just too idiotic to sack your manager twice in the same season, he should get at least till the end of the season to make something out of this.

Madrid did it once in 2019 but they had Zidane lined up so a different situation.

Good to hear. I knew there was a reason I liked you as a poster. But yeah you’re spot on. Potter is a very good coach and he’ll show that if given time, which I think he will. Today was a very encouraging performance.

Potter is a good coach who probably got the move either too soon or a club in transition.

Potter is a good coach who probably got the move either too soon or a club in transition.
I think you could be a good coach and still lack the experience of managing a big club. It's not easy to get the players to buy into your methods without anything to show for it other than few years of decent finishes with Brighton. The pressure at the top is different and the challenges are different. What's happening now could be none of his fault, but it's not easy to back him because he has no credit at the top level, while it's very easy to back someone like Klopp for example.

Everyone loved Ole but once results got too bad they stopped responding to him, and I think that'll happen to Potter and he'll be sacked. But really all this mess is on Boehly.

Its kind of strange how they've spent a fortune to downgrade from Abraham and Werner. Are all of Pulisic, Ziyech, Hudson Odoi and Havertz write offs? Is there no turning that front line around with whats available?

If we were performing like this with a fully fit squad I'd be wanting him gone already but the reality is our injury list is absolutely crazy.

Let's be real they need a whole new squad. Their best players are James (always injured), Silva (38) and at a push Chilwell (also always injured). They may be able to carry a few of their other current starters (Koulibaly, Kovacic, Mount and Sterling) but it's really not a push to say they need 6 new starting XI players plus some better depth

Yeah I'm speaking more towards how Potter can be successful next year. Silva/Koulibaly/Fofana/Chalobah/Badiashille is fine for CB options, James if he can stay fit is fantastic, and Cucurella/Chilwell are good enough on that side. The midfield definitely needs a reshaping: they either need to be more athletic or more creative, Jorginho and Kovacic aren't good enough at either to run it on their own and I don't rate Mount that highly. But I think even with all of the players mentioned, if they had a forward line that presented any sort of danger they'd be a top 4 team easily, because they have always been solid at progressing the ball through the first two phases of the game. They just get into the final third and if James isn't there to do something it's hopelessly toothless.

We are going to grow with Potter. Doing anything else would be crazy. Half the team (or more now…) is injured, the other half is publicly in the shop window, players people said we bought just to send out on loan are having to play major roles… and he isn’t just holding it together… they are playing well.

If we can avoid Todd and Eghbali putting him in humiliating positions in the press… we could really build something with Vivell and the staff paired with Potter.

I remember two years ago when Arsenal fans had blood coming from their ears screaming for Arteta’s head on a pike.

Tuchel wasn’t sacked because of results. He’s a good manager, he just doesn’t fit with what we want to build. Potter does.

I had hope that Clearlake would have intelligence and resolve in this area. But the fumbling disaster of their Enzo approach has me a bit worried. They need to recover well from that.

Right now Potter is the least of our problems.

Graham Potter is not a top manager.
He is a 'learning how to do business at a big club as you go' kind of manager like Ole.
He should have beaten Pep if he was a top manager.
He should keep Lukaku.

Its kind of strange how they've spent a fortune to downgrade from Abraham and Werner. Are all of Pulisic, Ziyech, Hudson Odoi and Havertz write offs? Is there no turning that front line around with whats available?

Frankly, I'd take any of Pulisic, Ziyech or Havertz for United if they're available. All good players plying their trade in a team with no system or mentality. Pulisic's struggle particularly is reminiscent of Rashford's last year.

I wouldn't lay the blame entirely at Potter's door. They actually had decent control of the match for a lot of tonight but their attack is so bereft of creativity and goals they didn't capitalise on it at all. Tuchel had the same problems and Chelsea have been pretty terrible to watch for a while.

They need to sign a proper goalscorer and some attacking midfielders and/or wingers who actually carry some attacking threat. They have far too many passengers currently, it's why they look so weak whenever James and Chilwell have a spell out of the team.
Chelsea shot themselves in the leg. I see it as total madness to sack a winning manager,Thomas Tuchel.

Unfortunately, they appointed a more or less an unproven manager at the top level. I see this as a clear example with what we experienced under David Moyes.

I hope Potter turns things around but not at the expense of Man Utd.

Graham Potter is not a top manager.
He is a 'learning how to do business at a big club as you go' kind of manager like Ole.
He should have beaten Pep if he was a top manager.
He should keep Lukaku.
At least,Ole was a thorn in the flesh for Pep. He used to beat Pep regularly.

I like Potter but if they sacked Tuchel then I do not hold out too much hope for Potter.

A huge part of the problem is that there are so many passengers in the team that it is mindboggling. They need to at least get rid of Ziyech, Havertz, and now Jorginho, and replace them with better players to get competitive. And half their decent players are extremely injury prone - Kante, Kovacic, and Chilwell, and now James, seemingly.

They're in a big mess.

The problem is not with the manager. Both Tuchel and Potter can't be clueless.

Sacking Tuchel wasnt the greatest of decisions but Potter also can't be scrutinized with that unit he has got. They look so poor on paper and on the pitch, the squad looks big but is actually quite thin on quality and the injuries haven't helped. Id wait to see how they do once they get players in

We are going to grow with Potter. Doing anything else would be crazy. Half the team (or more now…) is injured, the other half is publicly in the shop window, players people said we bought just to send out on loan are having to play major roles… and he isn’t just holding it together… they are playing well.

If we can avoid Todd and Eghbali putting him in humiliating positions in the press… we could really build something with Vivell and the staff paired with Potter.

I remember two years ago when Arsenal fans had blood coming from their ears screaming for Arteta’s head on a pike.

Tuchel wasn’t sacked because of results. He’s a good manager, he just doesn’t fit with what we want to build. Potter does.

I had hope that Clearlake would have intelligence and resolve in this area. But the fumbling disaster of their Enzo approach has me a bit worried. They need to recover well from that.

Right now Potter is the least of our problems.
He must have been given a rebuilding mandate and one to bring down the average age of the squad. The defence has been rebuilt for the long term: chilwell, james, forfana, badashile, curcurella and chalobah.

Enzo (if he comes will be jorginhos long term replacement) and then they still need to replace kante.

Forward line needs a rebuild, and chelsea need to decide if they want to build around kai havertz. If they do then they need to get forward players in who compliment his football.

To me it all points to a rebuild job and i think potter would have been given sime reassurances. But with the owner being an unknown and how much influence silverlake investment firm has, who knows.

Would be utter madness to sack him.

The way Chelsea fans are losing their minds, you'd think they've lost 3:0 to Blackpool. A loss is a loss, but it's City. They did well, all things considered. Haaland didn't even score!

That being said, everything has gone pretty much how I predicted it would. One, sacking Tuchel was a profoundly stupid decision. Whatever differences him and Todd Boehly had should have been worked out over time. And every manager goes through bad periods. I think Tuchel had proven himself enough to be given the chance, especially after spending upwards of 200M on his targets.

Two, for Graham Potter this is too much, too soon. I don't know what he was thinking. Brighton is a club that works like a well-oiled machine and the team was tailored to his playstyle. Chelsea are in utter chaos and had just spend all their kitty on someone else's targets. And there are still glaring holes in their squad. It would take multiple transfer windows to get him what he needs. And the expectations are orders of magnitude above Brighton. He should have stayed at Brighton or moved to another club, like Villa or West Ham. Or even on the continent, for some additional experience.

The best thing Chelsea can do now is give him time. I think he will come good for them, but it would take a long while, at least until next season. He should have a summer where he can pick his own incomings and outgoings.

The way Chelsea fans are losing their minds, you'd think they've lost 3:0 to Blackpool. A loss is a loss, but it's City. They did well, all things considered. Haaland didn't even score!

That being said, everything has gone pretty much how I predicted it would. One, sacking Tuchel was a profoundly stupid decision. Whatever differences him and Todd Boehly had should have been worked out over time. And every manager goes through bad periods. I think Tuchel had proven himself enough to be given the chance, especially after spending upwards of 200M on his targets.

Two, for Graham Potter this is too much, too soon. I don't know what he was thinking. Brighton is a club that works like a well-oiled machine and the team was tailored to his playstyle. Chelsea are in utter chaos and had just spend all their kitty on someone else's targets. And there are still glaring holes in their squad. It would take multiple transfer windows to get him what he needs. And the expectations are orders of magnitude above Brighton. He should have stayed at Brighton or moved to another club, like Villa or West Ham. Or even on the continent, for some additional experience.

The best thing Chelsea can do now is give him time. I think he will come good for them, but it would take a long while, at least until next season. He should have a summer where he can pick his own incomings and outgoings.

The people losing their heads in this thread are not Chelsea fans :lol:

He's pulled a Moyes here and left a place of comfort to a place where he is out of depth. I kept telling people who wanted him at united this exact thing would happen. These days you do not bring managers who have won feck all into top tier clubs it will fail every single time. He was at a disadvantage the moment he set foot inside the club because the players don't respect him fecking hell like..
Not seeing the parallel with Moyes. He failed mainly because he was successful with a brand of football in the 2000s that was no longer part of the elite game in the 2010s. And he wasn't smart enough to adapt like proper great managers have done. In contrast Potter is right in tune with modern tactics and is innovating himself with the extreme flexibility he's shown at Brighton.

The experience argument is a red herring too. 8 of the 12 Champions Leagues from 2009 to 2020 were won by managers who had "won feck all" in their managerial careers before taking up the top job.