Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Even though that could be true, Potter might not be the right man to fix it.

Similar to Moyes with United. The problems weren't all caused by him. But he had no pedigree to fix it.
I think what gives Potter a better chance than Moyes is tactically. His tactics (when working) are a lot more suited to a big job.

However I do have worries about his mindset for this job, he's going to have to very quickly snap out of saying things like "we earned our point" like he did against Forest.

However I do have worries about his mindset for this job, he's going to have to very quickly snap out of saying things like "we earned our point" like he did against Forest.

yeah that reminded me of Moyes somewhat and was the first sign he didn’t have that mentality.

If he’s saying that publicly what’s he saying to the players?

Quite the contrast to EtH. Even when we win he’s not happy and picks out the games issues and underlines expectations and standards.

I think what gives Potter a better chance than Moyes is tactically. His tactics (when working) are a lot more suited to a big job.

yeah that reminded me of Moyes somewhat and was the first sign he didn’t have that mentality.

If he’s saying that publicly what’s he saying to the players?

Quite the contrast to EtH. Even when we win he’s not happy and picks out the games issues and underlines expectations and standards.

I mean even Tuchel has said he was happy with the performance or the spirit and energy or whatever buzzword suited the context after bad draws against midtable teams. There is nothing wrong with trying to sound positive in front of the media after an annoying result. Potter did say it was a below par performance against Nottingham so this idea that he was happy or satisfied with the result is kind of nonsense, with respect to you both.

I mean even Tuchel has said he was happy with the performance or the spirit and energy or whatever buzzword suited the context after bad draws against midtable teams. There is nothing wrong with trying to sound positive in front of the media after an annoying result. Potter did say it was a below par performance against Nottingham so this idea that he was happy or satisfied with the result is kind of nonsense, with respect to you both.

Tuchel did get sacked though..

Tuchel did get sacked though..

Well, pick whichever manager you want. I'm just saying it's not uncommon to see managers trying to sound positive after dropping points. Potter doing it is certainly not some big sign that he lacks the mentality to manage at a big club. It is however, a sign that people are being guilty of confirmation bias.

Well, pick whichever manager you want. I'm just saying it's not uncommon to see managers trying to sound positive after dropping points. Potter doing it is certainly not some big sign that he lacks the mentality. It is however, a sign that people being guilty of confirmation bias.

You’re very defensive. I like Potter and have been consistent with this. The reason you’re a mess is the new owner and the bizarre summer in terms of recruiting. Unfortunately it seems that has still not changed given the Enzo debacle and what not.

If Potter starts making comments like that on the regular though then it’s most definitely a concern and one which cropped up with Moyes.

You’re very defensive. I like Potter and have been consistent with this. The reason you’re a mess is the new owner and the bizarre summer in terms of recruiting. Unfortunately it seems that has still not changed given the Enzo debacle and what not.

If Potter starts making comments like that on the regular though then it’s most definitely a concern and one which cropped up with Moyes.

I'm just disagreeing with you. If that's being defensive, then so be it. I think you're right about the haphazard transfer stuff, but the idea that a manager picking out positives from a bad result is proof that he lacks mentality is absurd to me. I mean that genuinely.

From a financial perspective, it was too good to turn down for Potter.

but given how Bhoeney (whatever) is behaving and calling the plays with regards to transfers, this was always going to be the wrong move for Potter to make the step up

I'm just disagreeing with you. If that's being defensive, then so be it. I think you're right about the haphazard transfer stuff, but the idea that a manager picking out positives from a bad result is proof that he lacks mentality is absurd to me. I mean that genuinely.

It’s only right his mindset will be questioned given its his first big job so you’ll have to get used to him being under the microscope unfortunately.

From a financial perspective, it was too good to turn down for Potter.

but given how Bhoeney (whatever) is behaving and calling the plays with regards to transfers, this was always going to be the wrong move for Potter to make the step up
Can we get a Rooney Boehly mash up?

bhoyley gets a lot of stick but he knows as well as the rest of us that all you need to do is get to the play offs. it’s anyone’s trophy from there.

It’s only right his mindset will be questioned given its his first big job so you’ll have to get used to him being under the microscope unfortunately.

Questions is fine. Using random and arbitrary evidence (that could be applied to every manager in the game) to psychoanalyse him just seems daft to me.

Bit unfair not to let him have pre-season. Give him until end of 2023 at least.

Doesn’t really matter for Potter, he’ll get a decent pay off and become another statistic of Chelsea’s long list of managerial casualties. My bet is he’ll end up at Southampton by the end of the year.

Not sure why he brought that innocent can into it.

It's weird watching Chelsea atm after how he has Brighton playing, especially against the bigger clubs.

And so it begins, having a go at random journalists because you’re coming under a bit of pressure.

Within the next 10 games he’ll lose the dressing room.

That was literally the opposite of the point he was making? No matter how angry he feels, he still wants to conduct the media facing duties with respect. That’s commendable no?If you listen to the actual press conference and not just the tidbit posted for engagement you’ll realise he was answering questions about him always coming across as emotionally stable and even keeled and where does he then get that release if he doesn’t show it on camera.

Even when he lost his cool, Potter came across as someone who can be clever and articulate. I like him better for it. Chelsea should not sack him.

Even when he lost his cool, Potter came across as someone who can be clever and articulate. I like him better for it. Chelsea should not sack him.

Agreed. I wouldn’t even class this as losing his cool. He was having a laugh with the journalists.

I have no concern over Potter's sacking, if it comes to that. He will be a success at a less mental club whichever the latter might be in terms of size.

He’s was conversing with a tin can.

Did not look jovial to me. more passive aggressive.
Yeah seemed tense and didn't share the laugh with the journo at all. He wouldn't be human if he wasn't feeling the pressure.

Yeah seemed tense and didn't share the laugh with the journo at all. He wouldn't be human if he wasn't feeling the pressure.

Of course. Nice to see some emotion but let’s not pretend he was laughing, joking and offering to share a bottle of red with them.

That was literally the opposite of the point he was making? No matter how angry he feels, he still wants to conduct the media facing duties with respect. That’s commendable no?If you listen to the actual press conference and not just the tidbit posted for engagement you’ll realise he was answering questions about him always coming across as emotionally stable and even keeled and where does he then get that release if he doesn’t show it on camera.
He was frustrated. At what point have you been in an emotionally stable state and had a conversation with an inanimate object to prove a point?

I liked his response, the journalists do ask stupid questions but if you’re not frustrated by the line of questioning you just brush it off without calling people stupid and talking to a tin can.

He was getting booed by Brighton fans last season as he was deemed to not be doing good enough. A year later he has the Chelsea job. Madness.

He's gonna fail miserably there.

He was getting booed by Brighton fans last season as he was deemed to not be doing good enough. A year later he has the Chelsea job. Madness.

He's gonna fail miserably there.

yeah but he was only getting booed because their performances weren’t good enough due to his management.

He was frustrated. At what point have you been in an emotionally stable state and had a conversation with an inanimate object to prove a point?

I liked his response, the journalists do ask stupid questions but if you’re not frustrated by the line of questioning you just brush it off without calling people stupid and talking to a tin can.

Come on. He didn’t call anyone stupid. He said he does often get stupid questions and he was explaining that even if he appears emotionally stable when answering media questions, even when they’re stupid questions he wants to be respectful to them but it doesn’t mean he doesn’t get cross. It’s literally the most reasonable answer he can give.

Did Potter get this agitated at Brighton?
Tempted to say this is a stupid question but I should answer it respectfully!!

seriously, he never said or did anything like this with us, but it’s a different kind of pressure now.

This was the best I remember for a manager getting agitated with the press though…

EDIT I didn’t realise that video was lots of them I thought it was just Pearson, but there’s some very funny ones there!

Last edited:
Doesn’t really matter for Potter, he’ll get a decent pay off and become another statistic of Chelsea’s long list of managerial casualties. My bet is he’ll end up at Southampton by the end of the year.
This brings me to a question I have ofren thought about. How are the clubs outside of top 6/7 ranked in terms of finance/history/fan base etc which might influence what kind of managers the individual clubs can attract and whether it’s a step up or down. I would assume that clubs like Everton, West Ham and Villa are higher ranked than for instance Brighton but would it have been considered a step up if Potter had ended up here instead of at Chelsea, and would it be a step up if someone like Thomas Frank went to Leeds or Southampton ?

Tempted to say this is a stupid question but I should answer it respectfully!!

seriously, he never said or did anything like this with us, but it’s a different kind of pressure now.

This was the best I remember for a manager getting agitated with the press though…

EDIT I didn’t realise that video was lots of them I thought it was just Pearson, but there’s some very funny ones there!

De Zerbi hasnt missed a beat has he? Or do you think they are still going to be a Potter coached team for the rest of the season?