Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

if you really believe in him, run head first into the wall at a train station platform.

Any specific significance about the walls in a train station vs any other wall?

if you really believe in him, run head first into the wall at a train station platform.
It's hard to do it the first time. Maybe do it hand in hand with Cucurella for that go.

Made a huge mistake in joining Chelsea a few games into the season in my view - constantly playing catch up to implement your ideas, with no real tangible way to stamp your mark on the team. Think he's onto something with some of their kids though, although even playing some of those has been reactionary given the injury list.

I think he should have taken the risk that another big club would have come in for him at the end of the season, or even England if Southgate had stepped aside.

Chelsea are in a transition as a club, new owner, new manager and new players coming in. Arteta's success (so far) at arsenal this season has shown that patience and sticking to a project for the long term (by football standards) does bear fruit. Potter needs time, sure he will be fine.

Not exactly things Chelsea are famous for.

Moyes dismantled the setup that he was supposed to adjust himself to. Instead of adapting and leveling up, he dumped the title winning backroom staff. And David Gill leaving without developing Woodward or an actual replacement hurt United as well.

But overall, agree w your sentiments. Not having a preseason for a manager like Potter for a mismatch of players like Chelsea was insane, but you don't get these opportunities everyday so you have to take them and go from there. So far, he's been good then now their in a terrible spell.

Let's be honest, even with the old backroom staff there'd be no difference. He was beyond help. Playing videos of Jagielka to Rio & Vidic for christ sakes!!

Can’t believe this lot were seconds away from beating us. They’re shite

Utd and Chelsea are going to be after the same strikers this summer. Not exactly a huge pool of elite available talent, out there. So Chelsea not qualifying for CL this season, will give us an advantage.

it’s weird because they aren’t this bad so it’s 100 percent on the manager

Chelsea were better than I expected, but if they are going to have any chance of success they need to basically clean house with that forward line and get all new ones in.

Pulisic, Auba, Sterling, Havertz, Ziyech, Broja: I mean there's not a single name of those that I'd regard as dangerous if driving at our defense. Sterling will stay because he's the new signing, but there's a reason City didn't mind binning him off even though he scored for fun there.

Let's be real they need a whole new squad. Their best players are James (always injured), Silva (38) and at a push Chilwell (also always injured). They may be able to carry a few of their other current starters (Koulibaly, Kovacic, Mount and Sterling) but it's really not a push to say they need 6 new starting XI players plus some better depth

Not exactly things Chelsea are famous for.
Yes agreed, but under Abramovich. We don't know what the new owner would do.

Also who would he bring in as manager? Would they have to start the rebuild again as the new manager might not want some of the players potter has bought?

I think Potter will be given time. Id say if he's not got chelsea in a top four position by next xmas, then he could be out.

Also who would he bring in as manager? Would they have to start the rebuild again as the new manager might not want some of the players potter has bought?

I think Potter will be given time. Id say if he's not got chelsea in a top four position by next xmas, then he could be out.

all i know is that he’s still sat in his box, waiting for the next innings to start.

I thought Chelsea did fine first half but second was poor. It felt like City were there for the taking and for the home team Chelsea didn’t do enough.

You have to wonder if they go out of the cup at the weekend will the new owners start to wobble?

People say this like sacking Tuchel for Potter was an obvious choice.
For all we know they could sack Potter and sign Frank what his face from Brentford. There is no logic at play here

Their signings have been dreadful and they keep spending.

Cucu, Sterling and Auba certainly a total waste of money. Hopefully Fofana will be fit again soon.

Zakaria looked decent today.

But for a brief 15 minute in the second half, City looked woeful. That they are 4/7 to win the title with bookies on current form and points deficit is bonkers. 3 of their next 4 league fixtures are very losable games too.

Their signings have been dreadful and they keep spending.

They're us since Fergie retired. Buy whoever, hire whoever. I don't blame Potter though, he was right to take the job, but Boehly is having a shocker.

Add him to the list of PL managers who do well at smaller clubs but just cannot make the step up. Almost all of them from the UK too.

They'll click into gear once we gift them a win in the rescheduled fixture we've yet to play there. Probably save Potter's arse from the brink in the process.

Finally on course to get Brighton finishing above Chelsea.
Remember that joke about Moyes back when he was at United and Everton were flying under Martinez similar to Brighton now. Time flies. There are similarities to that situation atm at Chelsea, but I wouldn't write Potter off yet. They have a long injury list, clearly need lot of new signings and he got there in September, no preseason or a chance to sign players he'd like. Yeah he's looked out of his depth at Chelsea so far but clearly issues there go beyond the manager.

There were some positives from Chelsea as they were better team in 1st half but ultimately this loss to City almost definitely leaves them out of top 4 race. They've got 5 away games to top 6 rivals to go, as well as one against Liverpool at Bridge, where they won't be favourites. Also their next league game is at Fulham which could be another difficult match.

Made a huge mistake in joining Chelsea a few games into the season in my view - constantly playing catch up to implement your ideas, with no real tangible way to stamp your mark on the team. Think he's onto something with some of their kids though, although even playing some of those has been reactionary given the injury list.

I think he should have taken the risk that another big club would have come in for him at the end of the season, or even England if Southgate had stepped aside.

Who? None of the big clubs in the PL look like sacking their managers anytime soon. The Chelsea job was probably his best shot for a while.

He's not gonna cut the mustard as he's simply not good enough.

People suddenly seemed to forget that his Brighton side also went through spells of looking absolutely terrible, too. City didn't even play well whatsoever, and still comfortably won. As a rival, I'm delighted they sacked Tuchel for Potter. Absolutely ludicrous decision.

Still mind blowing that not only did they get rid of Tuchel but then they went for Potter. He's their Moyes. Decent manager but not for a club such as Chelsea. Strong possibility now Chelsea have to win a cup to get into Europe next season

Been unlucky with injuries but many managers have to contend with that during a season. I mean Gerrard managing us was horrible but no doubt when he starts giving interviews soon he'll point out Kamara and Diego Carlos were injured for most of his games this season.

Chelsea are on the brink of going into bottom half now and points wise they can't be doing that much better than 2015/16 so it's getting close to untenable you'd suspect. Fulham and Liverpool away are games they could easily drop points in so with a probable cup exit it's not improving in the short term for him.

If/when he gets the sack, where to for Potters? Everton, West Ham or Leicester? Spurs after Conte?
I do believe he's been unlucky with injuries and that he has the capacity to turn it around if given time...but his Chelsea-future is hanging by a thread at the moment.

If/when he gets the sack, where to for Potters? Everton, West Ham or Leicester? Spurs after Conte?
I do believe he's been unlucky with injuries and that he has the capacity to turn it around if given time...but his Chelsea-future is hanging by a thread at the moment.
England