German Football 23/24 |

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t wait for next summer when some random PL team bids €80m for Boniface.

If he continues like that, it'll probably another Kolo Muani story. But I have to admit I'm a bit worried about next summer. Xabi, Wirtz, Frimpong, Tapsoba aren't unlikely to leave and who knows who else

Granit pairs up really well with Palacios. I hope he comes back to Basel towards the end of his career to play with his brother, but good to see him play well in the meantime.

Couldn't be happier with the midfield pairing. I wanted a player like Xhaka for years and never understood why Palacios didn't play more.

Looking at BVB and Leipzig, it may well be this year's title is decided between Bayern Bayer and Union. Not sure the obvious favourite will succeed.

I think we first have to prove that we can maintain this level. We're still Leverkusen after all ;)

Bayern is very difficult to predict, IMO. They might be untouchable but also tumble into a crisis. On paper they have a top team with a top coach but possibly Tuchel is at the right place at the wrong time considering the disarray the club finds itself in. Moderating disappointed egos isn't exactly his strong suit.

Dortmund so far looks pretty terrible but if they find their form from the second half of last season, they'll be in the run as well. The question is how long it will take them to do so and if they haven't already lost the race by then again

I think we first have to prove that we can maintain this level. We're still Leverkusen after all ;)

Bayern is very difficult to predict, IMO. They might be untouchable but also tumble into a crisis. On paper they have a top team with a top coach but possibly Tuchel is at the right place at the wrong time considering the disarray the club finds itself in. Moderating disappointed egos isn't exactly his strong suit.

Dortmund so far looks pretty terrible but if they find their form from the second half of last season, they'll be in the run as well. The question is how long it will take them to do so and if they haven't already lost the race by then again
i factored in the Leverkuseness of Leverkusen. This is the first squad/coach combination in decades that fails to give me that comforting "we're only faking, were not really serious about winning stuff" vibe :)
Tuchels problem isn't so much moderating egos, imo. Only two silverbacks around, of these Neuer miraculously is more unchallenged than before, and Müller seems to be very realistic about his role and not likely to create a fuss.
I'd say Tuchels problem is the team is still very much shaky in its confidence and he knows he has to fix that pretty soon which isnt easy.

i factored in the Leverkuseness of Leverkusen. This is the first squad/coach combination in decades that fails to give me that comforting "we're only faking, were not really serious about winning stuff" vibe :)
Tuchels problem isn't so much moderating egos, imo. Only two silverbacks around, of these Neuer miraculously is more unchallenged than before, and Müller seems to be very realistic about his role and not likely to create a fuss.
I'd say Tuchels problem is the team is still very much shaky in its confidence and he knows he has to fix that pretty soon which isnt easy.

What about Kimmich and the 6/8 discussion? I mean, I have no insider information but I think over the past year/one and a half year, there were surprisingly many reports/indications of unhappy players. In the summer there were rumors that Gnabry and Kimmich wanted to leave, Pavard, Mazraoui and Hernandez evidently do/did, Sané with his training antics, Mané's slap, the Neuer situation, Lewandowski forcing his way out, Kahn's notorious exit, Nagelsmann's firing, Tuchel not rating Goretzka, key figures in the squad not buying into Tuchel's ideas, etc. I mean, it's FC Hollywood after all and there are always stories like these but I don't recall there has ever been such a density. And the one overseeing it all now is Tuchel who is a great tactician but if he has one weakness it's the interpersonal level. I feel this is the biggest risk to your season since on paper, it is clear that you have the best squad/coach combination.

Regarding Leverkusen I get what you mean, we've really brought in winning mentality with Xabi. I've never been as optimistic at the start of a season but still, I don't dare getting my hopes up :D

What about Kimmich and the 6/8 discussion? I mean, I have no insider information but I think over the past year/one and a half year, there were surprisingly many reports/indications of unhappy players. In the summer there were rumors that Gnabry and Kimmich wanted to leave, Pavard, Mazraoui and Hernandez evidently do/did, Sané with his training antics, Mané's slap, the Neuer situation, Lewandowski forcing his way out, Kahn's notorious exit, Nagelsmann's firing, Tuchel not rating Goretzka, key figures in the squad not buying into Tuchel's ideas, etc. I mean, it's FC Hollywood after all and there are always stories like these but I don't recall there has ever been such a density. And the one overseeing it all now is Tuchel who is a great tactician but if he has one weakness it's the interpersonal level. I feel this is the biggest risk to your season since on paper, it is clear that you have the best squad/coach combination.
Outside of Neuer and Müller, no one has that "special one" standing to cause major uprest, possibly Kimmich is the only one close to that status. Media speculated he wasn't "not for sale" but i never heard from him wanting to leave nor would i think Tuchel doesnt want him. i'd say with no one out for injury, Kimmich is still very much one of the few guaranteed starters. None of the Goretzka, Kimmich, Gnabry etc seem to be in the habit of crying on the shoulder of some Bild reporter the way the notorious Klinsmann/Matthäus generation liked to do, and this is a neccessary prerequisite for FC Hollywood. I'd say if there is to be drama, it would rotate around Tuchel, not so much one of the players.

Mostly dire stuff again. We just can't control games anymore, bloody Augsburg were close to scoring right there.

And now they scored ;)
With generous help by Uduokhai :lol:
But I like Sané so far this season. Of course every other dribbling or passing attempt is awful, but he's putting in a lot of energy and actually gets results. I hope he can build on that and keep it up.

Sane shooting technique is foolishly risible. Can't stand it anymore.

Just guessing but Tuchel needs to have one of those cup runs (or buildup to one) in the CL to both cement his place and maybe gel that team.

Feels like they have gone through an endless cycle of axing Fährmann early in the season and then bringing him back eventually after his replacement turned out to be a disaster. It started as early as Nübel if I remember correctly.

Feels like they have gone through an endless cycle of axing Fährmann early in the season and then bringing him back eventually after his replacement turned out to be a disaster. It started as early as Nübel if I remember correctly.

The most brilliant detail about this tweet is the reference to the "cake incident" - last season it was said that Fährmann was eating cake during matches and that that was part of the reason why he was benched. Now his own agent is referring to this :lol:

Kehl could be in quite hot water if this season goes badly.

I always liked how Dortmund brought exciting young talents into the league, Haaland, Bellingham, Sancho, Dembele, etc to only name a few.
This transfer window has to be their most boring one (and on of the worst?) in at least a decade.

You really think so? I have a hard time believing this.

4/4 signings out of Bundesliga.
Nmecha with his baggage and somewhat inflated fee.
Sabitzer, signed off Bayern's bench.
Fullkrüg, who even if he does well won't improve the first team one bit, because Haller should be flat out better.

The press will make his transfers out as the main cause of any troubles Dortmund may encounter this season and since all of these players are known quantities there won't be a lot of mitigating factors.

The club probably wouldn't sack him over one bad window though.

You really think so? I have a hard time believing this.
Weird transfer. Füllkrug needs to play regularly in order to secure a spot in the German squad for the EM 2024.

Can't see him displacing Haller so he will be sitting on the Dortmund bench mostly. And then there is of course still Moukoko.

Dortmund problems are more in the creative midfield.

Weird transfer. Füllkrug needs to play regularly in order to secure a spot in the German squad for the EM 2024.

Can't see him displacing Haller so he will be sitting on the Dortmund bench mostly. And then there is of course still Moukoko.

Dortmund problems are more in the creative midfield.

Moukoko is more of a second striker, he's not really a backup for Haller. At this point Dortmund should just loan him out.

And Dortmund biggest problems are that Özcan is the only alternative to Can and the FBs consist of Ryerson, Bensebaini and Wolf.
Meunier seems to have been completely discarded by Terzic and Morey can't be planned with as a factor after two years of injuries. The club kind of needed to sign a RB, even if only a talent.
When Bensebaini palys the Africa cup it'll be just two FBs and we will probably see Süle or even Hazard start games.

CB is also a bit thin. Since there is no 4th CB, Hummels is old and Schlitterbeck seems to pick up the occasional injury.

Last edited:
I somewhat expected him to go to Frankfurt after they eventually sell Muani.

Me too. 13+2 is even a relatively reasonable price, which Frankfurt should be able to afford. You can always argue that it makes some amount of sense for Dortmund to sign a strong backup striker, but why he, as a player, is signing up for a bench role, makes no sense to me. Sure, Haller will play the Africa cup, but that's only a hand full of games in the middle of the season.

4/4 signings out of Bundesliga.
Nmecha with his baggage and somewhat inflated fee.
Sabitzer, signed off Bayern's bench.
Fullkrüg, who even if he does well won't improve the first team one bit, because Haller should be flat out better.

The press will make his transfers out as the main cause of any troubles Dortmund may encounter this season and since all of these players are known quantities there won't be a lot of mitigating factors.

The club probably wouldn't sack him over one bad window though.
The last paragraph is the reason for my post. I just don’t believe the leaders at Dortmund would do something so soon to get rid of Kehl. As long as coaches and other personal are great fits from a character pov, I don’t think Dortmund are going to act. They don’t appear ruthless enough to me.

Me too. 13+2 is even a relatively reasonable price, which Frankfurt should be able to afford. You can always argue that it makes some amount of sense for Dortmund to sign a strong backup striker, but why he, as a player, is signing up for a bench role, makes no sense to me. Sure, Haller will play the Africa cup, but that's only a hand full of games in the middle of the season.
I absolutely agree. The deal is great for Dortmund but I don't see, what's in it for Füllkrug.

I absolutely agree. The deal is great for Dortmund but I don't see, what's in it for Füllkrug.
Money. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets two or three times of what Bremen could pay him. He has had a quite mediocre career, this is his one and only big contract he will ever get.

Money. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets two or three times of what Bremen could pay him. He has had a quite mediocre career, this is his one and only big contract he will ever get.
I factored that in but assumed, that Frankfurt would have paid him comparable wages.

Füllkrug does not have international club experience - no CL, no Europa League.

Only has 18 Cup matches with 6 goals - not many goals for somebody that usually just played the first and second round against the small teams.

That Frankfurt wil not play internationally and that there are some Dortmund players in the national team might be an argument, too.

Dortmund reportedly offered him €6m, that's a ton of money for Frankfurt, but they should have been able to offer him like €5m?!

I guess since Haller likes to drop deep a lot he'd actually leave room for another striker to play next to him, but I don't really see it with Dortmund's wide players - I mean Adeyemi and the Dutch defense demolisher are half striker themselves and not player, who will play crosses all day long.

I somewhat expected him to go to Frankfurt after they eventually sell Muani.
Would have made much more sense for Füllkrug. Maybe was afraid Frankfurt isn't selling Kuolo Mani after all and he will be stuck in Bremen, which on the other hand would have been better than sitting on the bench in Dortmund.

And Dortmund biggest problems are that Özcan is the only alternative to Can and the FBs consist of Ryerson, Bensebaini and Wolf.
None of Can, Özcan and Sabitzer is a creative midfielder. What Bayern has in abundance, Dortmund is missing completely.
Probably, Brandt needs to be moved to a more central role or is Terzic planning with Reus as a playmaker?

None of Can, Özcan and Sabitzer is a creative midfielder. What Bayern has in abundance, Dortmund is missing completely.
Probably, Brandt needs to be moved to a more central role or is Terzic planning with Reus as a playmaker?

Brandt should move inside once Adeyemi (Bynoe-Gittens, Duranville) is back at full fitness. There are also Reyna and Nmecha.

Except they do... ECL playoff tonight 20:30 against Sofia, first leg ended 1-1

I know. But that is not guaranteed right now - and it is just the Conference league. He never has played CL or Europa League.

Brandt should move inside once Adeyemi (Bynoe-Gittens, Duranville) is back at full fitness. There are also Reyna and Nmecha.

Isn't Nmecha similar to Sabitzer? Doubt he got playmaker qualities. Reyna I forgot as he is more in the Rehab than on the football field.

Isn't Nmecha similar to Sabitzer? Doubt he got playmaker qualities. Reyna I forgot as he is more in the Rehab than on the football field.

Reyna literally got misdiagnosed and wasn't treated fast enough this summer - he is back training now.

I wouldn't call Nmecha a playmaker, but he's supposed to carry the ball and take on opponents in the center and break defensive organization that way.

Selling Pavard and loaning Stanisic without a replacement is a massive risk. No backup RB now and only 3 CBs in the squad.
That is why I am surprised they sold Pavard. They kinda need a RCB/RB now. Mazraoui/Laimer at RB and 3 CBs are not ideal.

That is why I am surprised they sold Pavard. They kinda need a RCB/RB now. Mazraoui/Laimer at RB and 3 CBs are not ideal.

Yea the news was always that they won't sell him until they have a replacement ready, now that they have they've focused on Paulinha.

All things considered, a RB/CB is more vital right now than Paulinha given the squad. One long term injury in defense and it'll be very difficult to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.