Gareth Southgate

He has over 25 games in international tournaments, 2 finals (maybe a win), 1 SF and 1 QF. There is always some luck in cup competitions, but luck can only get you so far. I genuinely wonder how he would do at a decent club - not United of course.
Do you not see how in your post you can see how luck has already only got him so far? He’s yet to win anything.

Well, I have to say not surprised in the least that the FA want him to stay. In fact, I predicted it! However, it's not all doom and gloom and I still have hope as I'm pretty sure he wants to leave.

He has over 25 games in international tournaments, 2 finals (maybe a win), 1 SF and 1 QF. There is always some luck in cup competitions, but luck can only get you so far. I genuinely wonder how he would do at a decent club - not United of course.
He’s a Championship level manager. Why on earth do you think he would be able to perform in the PL, assuming that is what you mean with ‘decent club’?

Sir Gareth Southgate. The bloke has done a deal with the devil.

Spain have beaten a very strong Germany team and France on the way to the final. Holland aren't that good of a team, nowhere near as strong as either France or Germany.

We're about to go up against the best international side in world football at the moment. As much as it would be good to see England win it. I think we will simply get blown away by them.
You're right about Spain's strenght I just believe it may be England's year. Or Spain just win 3-1. We'll see.

He's an average lucky manager with a fantastic squad that he's unable to get the best out of. Average managers can win trophies with excellent squads, specially on the international level and in a cup competition. There's isn't a single fan at any top club in europe that would want him near their team.

2 finals and a semi final and yet some in here know better. Knockout football isn’t about your systems and your attacking football, it’s about moments and staying in the game. He’s done a great job, it’s been 60 years since we saw anything remotely like this. If you’re still not happy ask yourself why you’re such a miserable git
I think he has to beat Spain and win though, otherwise it’s a similar story again of being fine when playing lesser teams and then losing in the bigger games as soon as you come up against a major nation. Do that and he can middle finger everyone and manage us for eternity.

Hope he stays as England manager, don't care how many rate him or he proves the doubters wrong by winning this Sunday. Keep him away from MU.

We really don’t deserve this.

I prefer not to speak.

Sir Gareth Southgate. The bloke has done a deal with the devil.

The final absolutely should influence this decision. I personally think his time is up after this tournament anyway.

I feel sorry for England if he stays on after the Euros, not gonna lie. Such a talented generation, but it's unlikely you'll become an international heavyweight under Southgate, when the potential is undoubtedly there IMO. Could easily go into the next 2 major tournaments as favorites if you had a manager that can provide optimal team balance at the very least. You don't even need one of the best managers in the world to take over this England side, you just need someone that's an upgrade on Southgate.

I think he has to beat Spain and win though, otherwise it’s a similar story again of being fine when playing lesser teams and then losing in the bigger games as soon as you come up against a major nation. Do that and he can middle finger everyone and manage us for eternity.
Knockout football isn’t about that though, especially at international level where you don’t have a lot of time to work on systems. The Euros is filled with very organised, compact and difficult to beat teams, doesn’t matter what nation is it, most of their internationals play at a high level.

Fact of the matter is, we’re in back to back finals. Totally unheard of in our lifetime for an England team to achieve this. Even if he doesn’t win against Spain, he’s deserved the chance to go into the World Cup.

Knockout football isn’t about that though, especially at international level where you don’t have a lot of time to work on systems. The Euros is filled with very organised, compact and difficult to beat teams, doesn’t matter what nation is it, most of their internationals play at a high level.

Fact of the matter is, we’re in back to back finals. Totally unheard of in our lifetime for an England team to achieve this. Even if he doesn’t win against Spain, he’s deserved the chance to go into the World Cup.

So how come one of, if not the best squad in the whole tournament couldn't put in an organised and compact performance until arguably the quarters/semis? But I wouldn't call the performances vs Switzerland and the Netherlands great either. England have been disorganized, the starting lineups had no team balance, the structure has been awful in basically every game. A good manager wouldn't insist with Foden in the starting lineup, and especially not on the left, when he can pick players like Rashford, Sterling, Gordon and Grealish to play there...he only took 1 of these players as well :lol:

I really hope “us” isn’t referring to Manchester United?!?

And I don’t think a win against Spain tells us much. Not if it’s against the run of play anyway.

Knockout football is about the luck of the draw. Under Southgate, that luck has been insane as the roads to every potential final has been easily the most favourable in the entire tournament. Which is perfectly fine, you can only beat what Is in front of you, but the yardstick is slightly more complicated when you don’t go on to win the entire thing.

The Euros is hardly filled with very organised, compact and difficult to beat teams. The increase in number means the overall quality goes down, and it certainly matters what nation you end up playing.

So how come one of, if not the best squad in the whole tournament couldn't put in an organised and compact performance until arguably the quarters/semis? But I wouldn't call the performances vs Switzerland and the Netherlands great either. England have been disorganized, the starting lineups had no team balance, the structure has been awful in basically every game. A good manager wouldn't insist with Foden in the starting lineup, and especially not on the left, when he can pick players like Rashford, Sterling, Gordon and Grealish to play there...he only took 1 of these players as well :lol:
I'm not saying it's been great but has it been effective?

Southgate himself said things weren't right in the group stage and they had to go back to the drawing board. I'm aware there's been no width during the games and we've played right into the opposition hands when they've sat deep and crowded the middle.

The best teams in this tournament have been Austria, Switzerland, Spain and Turkey (to a degree). All of them, bar Spain, have gone out playing 'good' football. Pretty much every team that's won an international competition has played every game like it's a final, stay in it and rely on your moments. Keep the ball, bore everyone to death. Have you ever seen a free flowing final or are they mostly cagey?

You can argue with the method but you can't argue with the results.

Everyone so scared of Sir Gareth, if he wins the euros then he has every right to take us forward (even though I think surely you end it after winning a trophy?!).

Do you not see how in your post you can see how luck has already only got him so far? He’s yet to win anything.

People do not just get lucky time and time again statistics/luck doesn’t work like that. The more times someone seems to be lucky the less likely it is to be luck.
You make your own luck by making decisions, creating an environment and working hard to stack the odds more in your favour. The more of these little increases in odds you do the more seemingly lucky you get but it is just a cumulative result of increasing your chances. SAF used to say , I set the team up for each match with the best to chance to win. Do you think he was the luckiest manager in history?

Southgate himself said things weren't right in the group stage and they had to go back to the drawing board. I'm aware there's been no width during the games and we've played right into the opposition hands when they've sat deep and crowded the middle.

The best teams in this tournament have been Austria, Switzerland, Spain and Turkey (to a degree). All of them, bar Spain, have gone out playing 'good' football. Pretty much every team that's won an international competition has played every game like it's a final, stay in it and rely on your moments. Keep the ball, bore everyone to death. Have you ever seen a free flowing final or are they mostly cagey?

Effective?

Would you be saying this if Bellingham's bicycle kick doesn't happen and England go out vs Slovakia? Or Saka doesn't score and England go out vs the Switzerland? Sorry but in no way have the performances been acceptable or effective.

Also, I don't think Turkey were anything special in this tournament. Would replace them with Germany and then I would agree on the top 4 best performing teams.

So he took two or three games to tweak the system/team? and in the mean time created an environment where the will to win was strong enough to get us through. We are in the final and you still moaning and questioning the squad he took? If we win on Sunday there will be people like you moaning that we didn’t win it with enough style!

I have news for you, there are 11 players
on the pitch, in wvery game we play doing their upmost to stop playing the way we want to and the manager has a handful of games to sort it out not a campaign of 38 matches

Knockout football is about the luck of the draw. Under Southgate, that luck has been insane as the roads to every potential final has been easily the most favourable in the entire tournament. Which is perfectly fine, you can only beat what Is in front of you, but the yardstick is slightly more complicated when you don’t go on to win the entire thing.

The Euros is hardly filled with very organised, compact and difficult to beat teams. The increase in number means the overall quality goes down, and it certainly matters what nation you end up playing.
You create your own luck by winning games and getting in positions where things are more likely to happen for you.

You could argue that England would have been better off playing the likes of Germany who would be more open without any real quality or organisation, or France who hadn't scored a goal in open play all tournament until their semi against Spain and relied heavily on a broken nosed Mbappe.

The format of this Euros means you can go through the group stage without winning a game, where's the incentive to play open when it's huge for a team like Slovenia (population of 1.2m people) to just get out of the group? If you can't go toe to toe with bigger teams, at least be hard to beat and stay in the game. Most teams have done that in this competition and some other teams have been a lot worse than England have been.

So he took two or three games to tweak the system/team? and in the mean time created an environment where the will to win was strong enough to get us through. We are in the final and you still moaning and questioning the squad he took? If we win on Sunday there will be people like you moaning that we didn’t win it with enough style!

I have news for you, there are 11 players
on the pitch, in wvery game we play doing their upmost to stop playing the way we want to and the manager has a handful of games to sort it out not a campaign of 38 matches

Sorry, I don't have the energy to argue against these posts anymore. Just laugh and move on. Enjoy Southgate for the next decade, some of you would deserve that.

Effective?

Would you be saying this if Bellingham's bicycle kick doesn't happen and England go out vs Slovakia? Or Saka doesn't score and England go out vs the Switzerland? Sorry but in no way have the performances been acceptable or effective.

Also, I don't think Turkey were anything special in this tournament. Would replace them with Germany and then I would agree on the top 4 best performing teams.
No I wouldn't but it did, so what's the point in arguing about something that didn't happen? Do you think in 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years etc anyone's going to give a shit that we scored a 95th minute overhead kick to stay in the tournament against Slovakia if we win it?

I'm not really sure what people want at this stage. We lose, everything is shit, we win, it's not good enough. At what point do we just say that this team know how to win a game and get a result? I didn't hear a fecking peep in here when United were winning games late on after drawing all game or being a goal down against the likes of Villa and Brighton.

Sorry, I don't have the energy to argue against these posts anymore. Just laugh and move on. Enjoy Southgate for the next decade, some of you would deserve that.
Let's play the game that everyone loves to play whenever the manager is under pressure at United.

Who out there could do a better job? Bearing in mind Southgate's current record is back to back Euro finals, a World Cup semi and quarter final (losing to the team that got to the final and lost on penalties). Maybe big Frankie Lampard can come in and get them playing well?

I am enjoying Southgate right now thanks and feel sorry for you that you can’t enjoy it and are so depressed about England progress in this tournament that you have no energy or will to discuss it. Happy Friday! lafmao

I don’t think they’re very serious or have any real validity to them, but there have been some articles floating around that he’d be a candidate for the US men’s team if he were to leave.

I am enjoying Southgate right now thanks and feel sorry for you that you can’t enjoy it and are so depressed about England progress in this tournament that you have no energy or will to discuss it. Happy Friday! lafmao

I'm not English, but usually want them to do well in international tournaments, especially if they have a lot of United players in the squad...although I hope Spain thrash you on Sunday, for your own sake :lol:

He should stay on as the England manager till the time we gain some success with Ten Hag or any other manager so that he becomes a non factor in terms of taking up the United job. I dont care even if he plays Henderson and Kalvin Phllips in midfield at the next world cup.

I'm not English, but usually want them to do well in international tournaments, especially if they have a lot of United players in the squad...although I hope Spain thrash you on Sunday, for your own sake :lol:

Tapas is banned Sunday strictly bacon
, egg and sausage.

Are posters really being serious suggesting he's a championship quality manager?

I completely get not being impressed about him being quite successful when we rarely have to play good teams and having the best resources of any previous England manager. Thats how I feel. I think he'd be good as manager of a team that are happy to get europa league football and could win it.

But do you really think he isnt a mid table premier league or a relegation scrap premier league manager? That one I cant get my head around.

Could not give less of a feck about whether he's this or that if he wins the thing. Knight the fecker and let's party if that happens.

To be honest, I'd be worried if the rumours coming out were that the FA want Southgate to leave, regardless of the result in the final. Even though the result went our way, that report about ETH being sacked regardless of the result wouldn't have done any good to the team and I'd argue the same here.

I do hope he moves on after the Euros, regardless of the result but that can be discussed and settled after the final.

Think Germany were better than Turkey overall.

I don’t think they’re very serious or have any real validity to them, but there have been some articles floating around that he’d be a candidate for the US men’s team if he were to leave.

As poor as Southgate has been in making England's players look much worse than they are for their clubs, the one international manager I think he is better than hands down is Berhalter who is just a complete disaster. If Southgate is a relegation or Championship level manager, Berhalter is a League Two manager at best.

Spain have beaten a very strong Germany team and France on the way to the final. Holland aren't that good of a team, nowhere near as strong as either France or Germany.

We're about to go up against the best international side in world football at the moment. As much as it would be good to see England win it. I think we will simply get blown away by them.
No one is blowing anyone else away, that's for certain. England are strong defensively, and you don't know how Spain will react to the pressure of being in the final. It's completely different from the semi-final or any other round. The stakes are multiplied by a thousand even from the final four level.