Gareth Southgate

I agree with a previous poster. We are rewriting history. I remember being very happy with the last World Cup. Play style was pretty good and went head to head with France in a game we could have won. I remember being happy we gave it a go.

Its like GS has watched that and thought “nope, not giving it a go again, too risky”

Whoops :lol:

Neighbours and both mountain countries. Both speak German. Same colours in their flags. What is the difference anyway? I have been mixing them up the whole tournament...
Hell, it's a shame that Mountains may even start with several teams. That should be restricted to Isles.

If England win the Euros it will be in spite of Southgate, not because of Southgate.

We are fickle football fans, if he/we win it all will be forgiven. I just hope Ineos don't want him as our next manager.

If England win the Euros it will be in spite of Southgate, not because of Southgate.
I mentioned this before, there will be a huge irony if we stumble to a Euros in spite of what will then be Sir Gareth Southgate and Sir Harry Kane.

I mentioned this before, there will be a huge irony if we stumble to a Euros in spite of what will then be Sir Gareth Southgate and Sir Harry Kane.
Sir Gareth? Sir Harry? ….dread the thought

If England make the final we'll lose to Spain or France as they'll not let us off the hook like the mediocrity we've faced so far, have. Southgate doesn't go out to win as we all know, he goes out not to lose, you can't do that against better teams which is why we've lost to any half decent team during his reign. It's also why we see Kane playing DM when opposition have the ball and we then wonder how we can't get out of our half.

It's just such a shame that in a period where the highest regarded international teams have generally been way below par, that we've had Southgate in charge resulting in us still not winning a major trophy, despite the best draws we've had in our history. It's easy to say Southgate has led us to this or that, but the real narrative here that the media want to avoid, is with a better coach with an level of tactical ability, we would have won at least one tournament during his reign.

Our squad with a proper manager would have won the last Euros and this one, two back to back Euros which would have been something amazing. Not with Southgate though, I doubt will get past the Dutch.
But England should, the Dutch haven’t the depth of squad. If they’re having to call upon the likes of Weghorst….

If he wins the Euro's all will be forgiven and he'll get knighted.

Big picture is that England have again got an easy path to the latter stages of a tournament under Southgate and performances have been poor.

Would any other manager have done more than Gareth in the last 4 tournaments? Maybe not.

He’s got lucky with the new larger format in both the Euros and World Cup. It’s given him lucky draws on 3 occasions to which he’s got to 2 semi finals and a final.

On paper it makes him look like a really successful manager but it’s artificial. Take Euro 2000 for example, our group was Portugal, Germany and Romania. There is no way Southgate would get us out of that group.

There has to be some credit for his achievements, particularly in penalty shoot outs. This tournament though we could have played so much better and won comfortably against teams we should be beating. Instead it’s been desperate attempts to get back into the game. Quite incredible really.

Posters in here so scared that Sir Gareth is going to embarrass them! Make your little excuses!

He’s got lucky with the new larger format in both the Euros and World Cup. It’s given him lucky draws on 3 occasions to which he’s got to 2 semi finals and a final.

On paper it makes him look like a really successful manager but it’s artificial. Take Euro 2000 for example, our group was Portugal, Germany and Romania. There is no way Southgate would get us out of that group.

There has to be some credit for his achievements, particularly in penalty shoot outs. This tournament though we could have played so much better and won comfortably against teams we should be beating. Instead it’s been desperate attempts to get back into the game. Quite incredible really.

That new 32 team world cup format that has been in place since 1998.

He might win the Euros and I'll be happy for him if he does... In cup football you can win without being a great manager and others have pointed out the Portugal team in 2016, France and many others did not play sexy football and still got the trophy in recent international tournaments. Even in club football, the likes of Di Matteo has an FA Cup and a Champions League and we weren't the most expensive and on paper best squad..

Which England are at this Euros, or nearly, on Paper and certainly by total squad transfer value, England are at least as good as Spain, France and better than the Netherlands. England are missing a fit LB and a ball playing GK but that's about it. The favourites or near favourites winning the tournament shouldn't be a surprise...

Doesn't change the fact that Southgate would likely massively struggle at pretty much any level of club football.

Why do you think this? Player for player we have one of the best 11s in the world. Why is shithousing the best chance we have?
In international football shithousing is the best chance anyone has. All 4 Semifinalists just won their QF by shithousing
Nah, this is a new narrative people are spinning but it's not true.

France are laying down the blueprint for this tactic. They play ultra defensive and are looking for moments of magic. With that said, they never really look in danger of being beat and are managing to beat decent teams this way, without even scoring goals :lol:
correct. This notion that England are playing cautious and not to lose is delusion, no basis in reality. It's like the expectation of Foden being this great playmaking #10, or Italian football being defensive and with great defences

England have played badly. Not cautious, not defensive. Just badly. They nearly got put in the dumpster by Slovakia in the first 30 minutes by constantly sending 7 men ahead of the ball, which left Slovakia countering with even numbers whenever they managed to win the ball back. Switzerland yesterday were getting into dangerous positions pretty easily, and exploiting england's rush in trying to win the ball back and lack of defensive effort by the forwards is how they scored their goal and could have won the game. *SHOULD HAVE* won really, but by the grace of Embolo's game saving flick which took the ball from Ndoye's head for the easy tap in...

In international football shithousing is the best chance anyone has. All 4 Semifinalists just won their QF by shithousing

correct. This notion that England are playing cautious and not to lose is delusion, no basis in reality. It's like the expectation of Foden being this great playmaking #10, or Italian football being defensive and with great defences

England have played badly. Not cautious, not defensive. Just badly. They nearly got put in the dumpster by Slovakia in the first 30 minutes by constantly sending 7 men ahead of the ball, which left Slovakia countering with even numbers whenever they managed to win the ball back. Switzerland yesterday were getting into dangerous positions pretty easily, and exploiting england's rush in trying to win the ball back and lack of defensive effort by the forwards is how they scored their goal and could have won the game. *SHOULD HAVE* won really, but by the grace of Embolo's game saving flick which took the ball from Ndoye's head for the easy tap in...

I do think Southgate sets up cautiously. Yesterday for example he clearly setup the team to restrict Switzerland's approach, rather than optimising England's. He's always been like that and it works quite well in tournaments by and large. I think it makes sense to play like that against Spain or France but against the likes of Slovakia you're giving away some of your advantage by doing so.

It's just a shame that England don't have a manager who knows how to get the best out of their attacking talent. It's really quite something how they manage to make their front players look about as effective as whatever shite Wales are able to get on the pitch nowadays.

I do think Southgate sets up cautiously. Yesterday for example he clearly setup the team to restrict Switzerland's approach, rather than optimising England's.
Then he did a shite job of it because England sure as feck didn't really restrict Switzerland. High press and getting the ball to Saka quickly were about the only things that worked for England

He's always been like that and it works quite well in tournaments by and large. I think it makes sense to play like that against Spain or France but against the likes of Slovakia you're giving away some of your advantage by doing so.
England quite clearly didn't do that against Slovakia though. Again, first 30 minutes they had Walker and Trippier pushing all the way up while Mainoo kept making runs to the box. Every time they lost the ball they had the CBs plus Rice as the only players between Slovakia and the goal. They could have outright killed them right then and there. Southgate noticed it too - late as always - because England changed structure - moving to a back 3 and keeping Mainoo more withdrawn in a double pivot - shortly after Slovakia's goal

It's just a shame that England don't have a manager who knows how to get the best out of their attacking talent. It's really quite something how they manage to make their front players look about as effective as whatever shite Wales are able to get on the pitch nowadays.
England lack the defenders and midfielders to be this great, spectacular attacking team you want them to be

Edited, sorry mate :lol:

Last edited:
Amen brother. I’m so happy right now drinking the salty tears of those weirdos with negative agendas who say he’s risk averse and negative.

You love to see it!
Would you like Southgate as next Utd manager?

Correlation does not mean causation. Of the four semi finalists, three have coaches that their own fans feel are subpar, to be kind. Shithousing is absolutely not the best way for superior sides to win football matches.

Correlation does not mean causation. Of the four semi finalists, three have coaches that their own fans feel are subpar, to be kind. Shithousing is absolutely not the best way for superior sides to win football matches.
Eh, it's something you need to be able to do though. Also the french think the guy in charge of their longest and most consistent period of success is subpar? That's news to me.

Eh, it's something you need to be able to do though. Also the french think the guy in charge of their longest and most consistent period of success is subpar? That's news to me.
Well certainly the French folks I've spoken to (I only know two, tbf!) think he's subpar but it'd be interesting to see what the caf's French contingent think. Also, haven't their papers been pretty critical of him?

Well certainly the French folks I've spoken to (I only know two, tbf!) think he's subpar but it'd be interesting to see what the caf's French contingent think. Also, haven't their papers been pretty critical of him?
Being critical of him after the last couple games is different than thinking he's subpar though

Would you like Southgate as next Utd manager?

He‘s not going to come to our failing dead club. He’s either going to replace Guardiola at City or Ancelotti at Real. We missed the boat on this one whitest text ever

Being critical of him after the last couple games is different than thinking he's subpar though
To be honest, I don't think Deschamps has ever been a particularly good coach, but just for argument's sake...why? They can think he's subpar now, right? I mean it's not like Mourinho is up to the top jobs now, whereas once upon a time he was. Situations change.

I agree with a previous poster. We are rewriting history. I remember being very happy with the last World Cup. Play style was pretty good and went head to head with France in a game we could have won. I remember being happy we gave it a go.

Its like GS has watched that and thought “nope, not giving it a go again, too risky”

We got by on a few set piece goals from set pieces including a few headed goals from Maguire. We managed little from open play

England are going to win this, they will finally win a tournament again.

If that does happen they'll have to improve a lot on the previous matches.

First half against Swiss was pretty good without getting the goal needed to solidify it.

Second half the Swiss could have won and had periods where they looked the more likely to score and win it. I expect the Dutch will be more clinical as they have a couple of attacking players who are scoring goals and assisting and have 3 more goals than England so far. Given the same oppertunities I think Netherlands will score 2 or more