Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it would be counterproductive.If Madrid sell it's because they have a replacement and they couldn't/shouldn't keep Bale

Well I hope you get few you're happy with and we get an injury free bale!

I am against a 3 back system personally.

I hope it's only used sporadically.

Like last year i only see it being used against certain opponents. The way Mourinho likes to set up his defences has always revolved around a back 4 with fullbacks who tuck in when defending. I don't see him abandoning that.

I mean I think he could work well in both systems but bear in mind Shaw isn't back yet (though he seems to be close) and we don't know how effective he would be as a wingback. Regardless of the formation we intend to use, Bale should be signed if it's at all possible imo

I can agree with that definitely. Wide or central he would improve us immensely.

I'd rather put faith in Martial than splurging £100million on an injury prone Bale who doesn't look he's remotely interested in leaving Madrid for us.

I'd rather put faith in Martial than splurging £100million on an injury prone Bale who doesn't look he's remotely interested in leaving Madrid for us.

Will Jose put faith in him even if Bale didn't come though?

What have Gareth Bale and a tampon got in common? They spend 1 week in and 3 weeks out.

If he wasnt so injury prone he would be worth it, but we'd be handing Madrid 100m to pay for a player that could give them 15 years service. Given his age and fact he has played 20 ish games a season, over past 2 seasons, could we end up paying 1m a game for him in fees?

What have Gareth Bale and a tampon got in common? They spend 1 week in and 3 weeks out.

If he wasnt so injury prone he would be worth it, but we'd be handing Madrid 100m to pay for a player that could give them 15 years service. Given his age and fact he has played 20 ish games a season, over past 2 seasons, could we end up paying 1m a game for him in fees?
Basically this. Would be one of the most short sighted signings possible. No doubting his class when he is fit and in form... but that hasn't been the case for most of the time the last few years. He's 28 which isn't crazy old, but if there's one player who I could see having a Torres-esque collapse after moving in a high profile transfer, it's Bale. He's basically purely reliant on his pace and power, once he loses that explosiveness, he'll be nothing more then average. And I feel like he'll basically lose that any season now. Maybe he'd have 1 very good year, luck and injury permitting, but nothing more then that I wouldn't guess. His career has been pretty much blighted by injuries for the best part of the last 4 years, and with the type of athlete he is, I don't see why that would change.

Of course it'd be exciting if we sign him, but it'd be more hoping for the off chance that he would stay fit here and get over all the injury problems which doesn't seem like there's a good chance of happening.

The similarities between the two are quite staggering. I'm sure one season their goals/assists record were very similar and they both have to play second fiddle to a GOAT candidate. With said players out the team, both Bale and Neymar looked every bit capable of being the star man.

The level he's trained at, the winning mentality he's got now and the fact that he's proven PL quality puts him at the same level as neymar for me in terms of how good they'd be for us.

Neymar probably has a higher ceiling though.
Nah. It's not close at all. It was pretty much even at the time of their big transfers and after their first seasons, with Bale getting 22 goals in 44 games, and Neymar with 15 in 41. But since that, Neymar has been streets ahead of him (39 goals in 51 games in 14/15 compared to bales 17 in 48, and then 31 and 20 goals in 49 and 45 games in the last 2 seasons, while Bale had 19 and 9 in 31 and 27 games. Bale's just always injured these days, and is 3 years older, and the type of injuries he gets (muscular mostly) combined with the type of player he is means there's a good chance that he'll have a very sharp decline, and soon. Like how Torres declined. Madrid I'm sure would be perfectly fine with letting him go for 100m, he's not even a starter for them when it comes down to the main games. 28 years old and 58 combined games in the last 2 seasons in all competitions, those aren't very encouraging stats at all.

Also come on, what does PL proven have to do with anything. Neymar would walk in and be streets ahead of any player in the premier league if he came here, he's one of the top 5 players in the world easily and has shown it at one of the best clubs in the world these last 4 years. It's not a case of having a higher ceiling. He's just long since eclipsed any 'ceiling' Bale had and being way more talented and younger, means he'll last a lot longer.

Not gonna read too much into this. Ultimately think this is just some classic José Mourinho Mind Games FC going on.

Just as he screwed them over with the Morata fiasco, doubt he wants to do with anything that will fund RM even more to help their future signings. José is looking at nothing but winning the Super Cup here imo and is trying to force Zidane and RMs hand tactically by saying such a thing (taking the piss me thinks). Mata said so before the team even left for the pre season tour that José was already locked in at beating the likes of Madrid. I call bluff but a strictly tactical bluff for the game.

Reactions: Sultan
Nah. It's not close at all. It was pretty much even at the time of their big transfers and after their first seasons, with Bale getting 22 goals in 44 games, and Neymar with 15 in 41. But since that, Neymar has been streets ahead of him (39 goals in 51 games in 14/15 compared to bales 17 in 48, and then 31 and 20 goals in 49 and 45 games in the last 2 seasons, while Bale had 19 and 9 in 31 and 27 games. Bale's just always injured these days, and is 3 years older, and the type of injuries he gets (muscular mostly) combined with the type of player he is means there's a good chance that he'll have a very sharp decline, and soon. Like how Torres declined. Madrid I'm sure would be perfectly fine with letting him go for 100m, he's not even a starter for them when it comes down to the main games. 28 years old and 58 combined games in the last 2 seasons in all competitions, those aren't very encouraging stats at all.

Also come on, what does PL proven have to do with anything. Neymar would walk in and be streets ahead of any player in the premier league if he came here, he's one of the top 5 players in the world easily and has shown it at one of the best clubs in the world these last 4 years. It's not a case of having a higher ceiling. He's just long since eclipsed any 'ceiling' Bale had and being way more talented and younger, means he'll last a lot longer.

I'd imagine when you're the selling club, your negotiation tactic probably doesn't involve factoring in the negatives. That way, in their eyes, Real Madrid are selling a triple champions league winner who, when fit, is absolutely world class, and going back to a league he wanked all over. Hence why I'd put the price so high.

Obviously, that's there we negotiate and say " but what about his injuries " etc etc. I'm just saying that a fully fit on form bale is worth approx 75% of neymar fee.

It's extremely unusual for Jose to be this brazen about a transfer. Especially one thats so seemingly difficult to pull off.

Is he merely up to mischief? Or is he onto something? Hmm...

I personally don't see any reason why not. Martial has had a great pre-season, and I feel tales of Mourinho not rating him have been greatly exaggerated.

I'd be very surprised if he started either the game tomorrow or the game against West Ham. Do you think he will?

Martial is 21 for christ sake. Cannot believe people would be against signing Bale because of worries around Martial. He has years ahead to cement his place and we certainly shouldn't avoid signing the absolute finished article like Bale to subsequently put loads of pressure on Martial.

The same people saying this are the same ones raising concerns about Bale's injury record. So surely if Bale was only playing half the season Martial would still get loads of chances?...Not that we couldn't play both at the same time anyway!!

Silly concern.

A problem I'd have with this transfer is whether he actually wants to play for United . But Jose has already said he won't sign him unless that is the case so we wouldn't get another Di Maria. If he asks to leave and we go in for him he'd be an unreal signing. Even if he does miss a few months of the season his contribution would still propel us back to where we want to be imo.

I'd be very surprised if he started either the game tomorrow or the game against West Ham. Do you think he will?
No, but that's likely due to Rashford's pre-season form (which has genuinely been as good as any player in the squad) rather than anything Martial has done wrong. Just because he doesn't start him in the season opener, doesn't mean he doesn't rate him.

No, but that's likely due to Rashford's pre-season form (which has genuinely been as good as any player in the squad) rather than anything Martial has done wrong. Just because he doesn't start him in the season opener, doesn't mean he doesn't rate him.

Don't really agree. Rashford's pre season has been pretty inconsistent. Probably had 3 good games (a couple were excellent) and 4 pretty bad or anonymous ones.

If we're talking pre season I'd argue Martial has been more impressive

Real Madrid has the BBC, Barcelona had MSM. If needed we can easily accommodate Bale and Martial together.

There are so many talking points about this:

- Why has Mourinho been so brash in openly discussing Bale? It is very peculiar that he'd do so and I can think of no reason other than a public show of support for Bale. There is obviously dealings behind the scenes and an uncertainty, from the player, about uprooting his life of luxury and relocating, at what would be the final chapters of career, to rainy Manchester. The public show of affection may very well be Mourinho's proposal of sorts and with that, laying the cards firmly at his feet.

- Is Bale a crock and damaged beyond repair? With all due respect, and keeping in mind that this money is all irrelevant, does it really matter? People speaking about 20 games p/season and a potential £1M p/game fee; if he can score/contribute to at least 1 goal p/game, which I'm certain he would, does it really matter? We've an extremely large squad and he'd fit in brilliantly. Simply having his name on the team sheet would put the s***s in the opposition.

- Will his potential arrival hamper the likes of Martial? I don't see why it would tbh. Booth Martial and Rashford have been 'good' in pre-season. Both have had moments of class and both have faltered. They're young lads and this sort of performance is expected. Bake has won numerous titles, carries a Country on his shoulders and had played with some of the very best players in the world. Having him in the dressing room can surely only inspire these young lads to give their all and more.

Some people really need to get a grip and consider every aspect of this scenario. In all likelihood, it's a non - starter. The only aspect of this that adds any fuel to the fire, is the bizarre public display from Mourinho. If this is indeed possible, we need to pray it can happen. The guy, will hampered with injuries, is an absolute animal. His raw pace will destroy defences and ultimately force the opposition to rethink their entire strategy, in order to plan for Bale. That in itself is a weapon. When we don't sign world - class players, people bitch. When we're linked with them, we moan that we're wasting cash on has - beens, while we have bundles of youth that are ready to win us titles. This is exactly the type of signing that catapults us into title talk. In the very rare possibility this happens, I'd be ecstatic.

Reactions: Raoul
When's he fit?

I thought Darmian played well at wing back in the game against Sampdoria.
Young? Didn't think he'd had any fitness issues for a while now to be honest but I'm not sure.

They wanted 80m for Morata. They'll want 100m+ in this market. At his age, and considering his wages, it's not worth it. Any deal would involve DDG or maybe Martial plus money.

Marcos lopez is good journalist and he is considered to be not a bullshitter. He says, there shouldnt be any complications for bale to united and mbappe to madrid.

This is what I hate about the Woodward era. Sensible team building goes out of the window. The fact that players decline as they get older gets forgotten even after witnessing yet another example. The desperation to sign big names is embarrassing.

I really don't see this happening at all. I don't think Bale has ever fancied signing for us.

If Madrid do decide to sell him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to Bayern or even City before he chose us.

I really don't see this happening at all. I don't think Bale has ever fancied signing for us.

If Madrid do decide to sell him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to Bayern or even City before he chose us.
Don't see why Bale would want to leave Madrid. He's won and is still winning everything there is to win in the game and probably owns a villa with a pool. He would play more at United but he probably would play more at Madrid if he wasn't injured last season.

On a separate note, had a chuckle this morning when I saw Mourinho's comments. He usually says he doesn't speak about other players at other clubs and now he's doing his best to unsettle Madrid and Bale before the Super Cup. Class act of distraction.

Don't see why Bale would want to leave Madrid. He's won and is still winning everything there is to win in the game and probably owns a villa with a pool. He would play more at United but he probably would play more at Madrid if he wasn't injured last season.

On a separate note, had a chuckle this morning when I saw Mourinho's comments. He usually says he doesn't speak about other players at other clubs and now he's doing his best to unsettle Madrid and Bale before the Super Cup. Class act of distraction.

:lol:

I bet he's got a PlayStation 4.5 as well.

Maybe, because he's likely to be reserved to a bench role?

If he's got no problem with being a sporadic player, then more power to him.

This is slowly gathering pace. I have a feeling it'll happen, as it makes sense for everyone involved.

This is slowly gathering pace. I have a feeling it'll happen, as it makes sense for everyone involved.
I'd say more like quickly gathering bullsh@tters in the press, and the transfer muppets need something to cling to in what's been a depressing window so far.

I'd say more like quickly gathering bullsh@tters in the press, and the transfer muppets need something to cling to in what's been a depressing window so far.

Eh? We've made 2 excellent signings and signed a young defender who had it all to prove. It's hardly "depressing" you miserable git.

How is it a depressing one? We bought three players for top money and haven't lost anyone of value.

I mislike us pursuing Bale but it must be said that the pursuit is hardly without proof, Jose himself played coy and essentially said he'd move for him if given the chance.

Bale would be a great signing a few years ago. He should be in his prime and it would probably cost beyond 100 million but given his injury woes, I would probably give it a miss. I think we would buy 3 more squad players with that money. I will pick up 3 young players between 20-22 year old.

Bale would be a great signing a few years ago. He should be in his prime and it would probably cost beyond 100 million but given his injury woes, I would probably give it a miss. I think we would buy 3 more squad players with that money. I will pick up 3 young players between 20-22 year old.

Are you serious?

Bale instantly takes the level of play up in our team a notch or maybe two. He's a world class player and should be signed if there is even the slightest chance he's available this summer.

150m€. A consolidated top player.A different level of quality to be candidate in the Premier League.If Coutinho costs 100m€ It seems a reasonable fee.
Hehe,I was joking.I would sell for 85-95m€
Really? I'd ask for everything the glazers own, including their dignity. Plus Woodward to use as a garden gnome/court jester

80m€ + United's goodwill to talk about Rashford in a hypothetical future
Swap "goodwill to talk" with "option to buy" :drool::drool::drool:

Still, i wouldn't do it right now. We're playing for 6 trophies...the only players who could replace Bale this season imho are Lewandowski, Suarez, Robben, Dybala, Neymar and Messi. We're not getting any of those guys this summer

Auba could have been an option, a month ago. Same thing with Alexis. Not as good as Bale but good enough to be reliable both as backups and starters in the rotations

As talented as he looks Mbappé is such a huge gamble right now...and let's be honest, he scored a lot last season but he doesn't blow you away like Messi or Ronaldo(Nazario) did at his age

Sound like mind game to me, for the Super Cup. Talking like that is like putting ourselves at Perez's mercy when asking for a player, which I doubt Mourinho is not aware of.

Eh? We've made 2 excellent signings and signed a young defender who had it all to prove. It's hardly "depressing" you miserable git.
Depressing was maybe the wrong choice there. What I meant was the lack of a marquee signing of the Greizmann or Pogba type.

I know Lukaku was a big one, but it didn't feel like a marquee signing like Bale would be.

I would be all over this transfer, if there was any credible evidence that he's going to be for sale, or if he would even consider joining United, should he be deemed surplus to requirements.

Reactions: Joga Bonito

What would you rather? Bale for £80m or buying the equivalent of Depay, Schneiderlin and Shaw for the same amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.