Gareth Bale | Mourinho: "Game over. Now everyone knows he's going to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people would shag Scarlett Johansson and whinge she wasn't a virgin.

Get a grip.

You get a grip.

Who whinges about a girl not being a virgin? What is this the 1940s?

"Oh yeah, I'd very much like to bed a girl that is a bit scared and apprehensive while she sits like a starfish moving only her eyelids" said no one in this century.

My biggest concern is in 8 years time he'll be 36, and what would his sell on value be then?
Hopefully he'll be playing when he's 40 like Giggsy did. People would have laughed at that thought when Giggs was 27 as well.

@Bwuk I'm really not a fan of three at the back; it's needlesly defensive and our fullbacks (Valencia aside) aren't good on the ball.

We'd be much better off playing a 4-3-3 with Bale on the right and Mkhitaryan on the left.

Personally think Bale is much better centrally, and unless your playing a diamond we'd be stuck with some sort of two man midfield so Pogba would be deeper.

Because there's no one else really.
I'd rather have my left nut play wing back.

Darmian is terrible going forward, but excellent defensively which is not what you want in a wing back. I think we'll go for Ashley Young if we're playing that formation.

What happened to: "I don't think it is ethic to speak about players from other clubs."

Maybe there's something in this.

Yeah I'm in two minds. Either Jose is trying to force the issue because he's not making the progress he'd like to, or he's being coy because something's being negotiated.

I hope it's the latter. For all of my concerns over Bale's fitness, he's a fantastic footballer when he's fit. People categorising him as just a speed merchant are forgetting just how good he was for Spurs before he left.

I'd rather have my left nut play wing back.

Darmian is terrible going forward, but excellent defensively which is not what you want in a wing back. I think we'll go for Ashley Young if we're playing that formation.

When's he fit?

I thought Darmian played well at wing back in the game against Sampdoria.

That's sort of his point, in fairness.

Don't think so. It was a metaphor for "you're getting something really good and whingeing about something minor". Which doesn't exactly work if the minor issue is not an issue but a massive bonus.

If Bale left Madrid, would Tottenham try and bring him back to the Lane? It would break their wage structure and all, but when fit he would add another dimension to their team.

@GlastonSpur @balaks @africanspur

Very unlikely I'd have thought ... or not unless Bale decided that he already has more money than he knows what to do with (which could conceivably be true), would really like to come back to Spurs and is willing to accept a massive pay cut.

I can't see this happening for several reasons:

1. Mourinho openly toying with the subject: In doing so it would weaken any potential buying position, RM would not appreciate being goaded by JM. Historically Jose is mischievous when there is no involvement with players and he just wants to be a WUM.
  2. Bale's Preference: I can't imagine at 28 years old coming back to the PL to United would be high on his priorities. We would not be his preferred choice, every indication is that Bale would want to stay at Madrid.
  3. Transfer Fees and Wages: It would be very costly and whilst the club is not at all shy of a high fee more recently we have targeted around the 23 year old mark. Players at the start of their peaks or entering into that realm. Bale whilst an outstanding player does not really fit into our transfer strategy.
  4. Marketability: From Real Madrid's perspective Gareth Bale is incredibly marketable, more so than any potential transfer into the club (Mbappe). The fact that they have the best British player, and therefore a better access to the UK market, will no doubt prove to be another barrier to any transfer.
Reasons I would like it to happen:

1. World Class: A fully fit Gareth Bale wins games single handedly. He would instantly elevate our side into title challengers and would add some much needed consistency to our attack.
  2. Marketability: Whilst Pogba is now our marketing magnet, the best British player in the world playing for the 'Best British Club' would be a Woodward wet dream in terms of potential deals. It would help recoup some of the fee and potentially gain a bit more interest from the UK market *although it is heavily saturated*.
  3. British: With Wayne Rooney gone there is a big British hole in our side that needs replacing. Bale IMO is one of only two British players capable of filling that gap NOW (Kane being the other but that will never happen).

Do you think he is bitter at Atletico for getting banned, or Griezmann for not being a dick to his club? Don't be silly, he isn't going to not buy a world class player because of something like that

Just my gut feeling mate.

I'd love Griezmann here.

Or Jose could already know that Bale is not starting.

Could be mind game with Bale rather than Madrid.

I mean, if I was Perez, I'd sell Bale for £100 which we will inevitably pay.

It's their last chance to get mega money for him. Economically, it makes sense to sell Bale, considering his wage. So, as I said, if I was Florentino Perez, I'd be unzipped and ready.

Also, I think it's Bale's last chance of big big move. Obviously, Madrid are bigger club than us, but it's not as if he's going back to fecking Tottenham.

He will have to consider, here and now. And what if he has another injury plagued season, will the top clubs be after him with the price tag that will come with him.

I just think there are lot of things at play here. We need a winger and a Woodward's dream signing. Real need to free up squad space and it makes financial sense for them to sell. So I think that this has a good chance of happening.

I think hes pretty happy where he is.

He's on good money,playing for the European champions,creating his own bit of history with Real,playing for Zidane,lives in sunny Spain.

We've seen plenty of Utd,City and Chelsea players over the years that played a bit part for their respective clubs where they could quite easily have moved on to other clubs for more playing time but stayed where they were. I think it will be the same with Bale.

If we did go for him it would cost us a small fortune as they would surely ask for a higher fee than what they were looking for Morata.

Hope this is true.

De Gea
Lindelof - Bailly - Rojo
Valencia - Herrera - Matic - Darmian
Pogba
Lukaku - Bale​

That'd be a insane side imo.

It would obviously be asymmetrical. Bale in free role. Lukaku target man. Pogba box to box. Herrera helping Matic in breaking things up and recycling the ball.

It's a cracking line up imo.

No. It's awful. There's some good players in there, but that is the act of a man looking to make them look anything but.
No it isn't, you're either very naive or melodramatic, your choice really. The midfield is incredibly balanced and the attacking has bags of goals in them. 2 of the 3 centrebacks comprised one of the best defenses of the league last year and the other has the potential to be very effective. Valencia is probably the best right wingback in the league and we have comfortably the best keeper in the division.

You might think we are better suited to another set up but to call it 'awful' is a little idiotic.

We've seen plenty of Utd,City and Chelsea players over the years that played a bit part for their respective clubs where they could quite easily have moved on to other clubs for more playing time but stayed where they were. I think it will be the same with Bale.
We have never had a top ten player as a bit player for us, there's a massive difference between the two. Bale will believe he should be competing for the balon dor, he can't do that from the subs bench.

If only we had a better LB in that hypothetical line-up.

But very strong indeed.

No it isn't, you're either very naive or melodramatic, your choice really. The midfield is incredibly balanced and the attacking has bags of goals in them. 2 of the 3 centrebacks comprised one of the best defenses of the league last year and the other has the potential to be very effective. Valencia is probably the best right wingback in the league and we have comfortably the best keeper in the division.

You might think we are better suited to another set up but to call it 'awful' is a little idiotic.

It's not very good at all. The wing backs are more like full backs and it's overly defensive. Out of all the players at our disposal you put darmian at LWB the inclusion of him along degrades the quality of that team. It's not an inspiring line up in the slightest and I would agree it's "awful", even if it is a tad sensationalistic.

Last edited:
I just don't get this 3 at the back because Chelsea won the league with it. Now it means we need to play it?! Mourinho has experimented a couple of times as a back up strategy. If bale comes he would play out wide as we are well stocked in central areas.

3 at the back for me is too overly cautious and you end up sacrificing a player further up the pitch to play in defence.

It's not very good at all. The wing backs are more like full backs and it's overly defensive. Out of all the players at our disposal you put darmian at RWB the inclusion of him along degrades the quality of that team. It's not an inspiring line up in the slightest and I would agree it's "awful", even if it is a tad sensationalistic.
I think the fact you believe Darmian is RWB in that formation tells us all we need to know. How on earth do you consider Valencia a fullback in that set up, particularly how hes been playing for us recently for that matter.

And the inclusion of Darmian doesn't turn that team into an awful one, that's ridiculous. I think there are better options than he at left back, but he's capable of playing the role and would allow Pogba to occupy more space on the left of the midfield three, which is where he plays his best football.

fbWXIT7.jpg

I can't help but feel this is just Jose having a bit of fun in attempt to unsettle Madrid before game tomorrow.

No doubt Bale plays and this all goes to bed.

Hopefully we win and mourinho can have a nice red with Sir Alex and toast how the mind games worked

I can't help but feel this is just Jose having a bit of fun in attempt to unsettle Madrid before game tomorrow.

Hopefully we win and mourinho can have a nice red with Sir Alex and toast how the mind games worked

He's more-so trying to unsettle Bale imo

It seems clear he wants Bale if Real are willing to sell.

I think the fact you believe Darmian is RWB in that formation tells us all we need to know. How on earth do you consider Valencia a fullback in that set up, particularly how hes been playing for us recently for that matter.

And the inclusion of Darmian doesn't turn that team into an awful one, that's ridiculous. I think there are better options than he at left back, but he's capable of playing the role and would allow Pogba to occupy more space on the left of the midfield three, which is where he plays his best football.

LWB excuse me. He is a right footed player and has zero attacking nouse. If your playing that system you 100% require an athletic player who is just as apt at defending as attacking. Valencia although athletic, has poor end product but makes up for it with his efficiency and consistency.

Honestly if you actually include darmien in a best and most aspirational 11 then I can't argue with you! I honestly thought it was a joke. He limits us so much.

I just don't get this 3 at the back because Chelsea won the league with it. Now it means we need to play it?! Mourinho has experimented a couple of times as a back up strategy. If bale comes he would play out wide as we are well stocked in central areas.

3 at the back for me is too overly cautious and you end up sacrificing a player further up the pitch to play in defence.
You don't though. The wingbacks will player further forward and the wide centrebacks will play higher up too when in possession. You are also able to play with an additional striker.

With everyone fit I would go with this.

.................De Gea
Valencia...Baily.....Rojo....Shaw
...................Matic
.......Herrera...........Pogba
................Mkhitaryan
...........Lukaku........Bale

You don't though. The wingbacks will player further forward and the wide centrebacks will play higher up too when in possession. You are also able to play with an additional striker.

And we don't have the players to execute this system. The wing backs will keep moving the ball backwards as they don't ability to attack at a high level.

Also you have included lindeloff who is raw and not ready for first 11.

It's not an ideal formation or first 11 mate.

Last edited:
LWB excuse me. He is a right footed player and has zero attacking nouse. If your playing that system you 100% require an athletic player who is just as apt at defending as attacking. Valencia although athletic, has poor end product but makes up for it with his efficiency and consistency.

3 if you actually include darmien in a best and most aspirational 11 then I can't argue with you! I honestly thought it was a joke. He limits us so much.
It's almost like you didn't even read what I wrote...
I think there are better options than he at left back, but he's capable of playing the role and would allow Pogba to occupy more space on the left of the midfield three, which is where he plays his best football.
And you also seem to be under the impression I came up with that team too.

You have to go back all the way to last week against Sampdoria in the first half to see the width Valencia provided, the assist Darmian got and the several chances we created from crossing. Unfortunately a lot of them fell to Micky, but with Bale taking his place in that formation, the chances of converting more of those chances greatly increase.

To think that the inclusion of one contentious player takes a team frim our 'best XI' to awful tells us all we need to know.

Sergio Ramos about Mourinho's comments: "We respect other coaches opinions, but Gareth Bale is a Real Madrid player and we are delighted to have him here. Players' futures are decided by them. August is long and anything can happen, but we are at ease because he is with us."

Sergio Ramos about Mourinho's comments: "We respect other coaches opinions, but Gareth Bale is a Real Madrid player and we are delighted to have him here. Players' futures are decided by them. August is long and anything can happen, but we are at ease because he is with us."
Sounds a bit like what one or two of the Barca players were saying about Neymar a little while ago. Maybe this is on!

100%

This all goes away after the game tomorrow.

Tomorrows game won't bare any significance, if Bale plays it'll be because he's further along in his preparation than Ronaldo (for example)

And those people are looking incredibly naive now. If we approached Juventus to sign Pogba this year he'd be comfortably over £100mil.

For the very best players in the world you'll have to pay a disproportionate amount of money to sign them. Is Neymar 7x the player Sane is? Of course not, but could well go on to represent value for money if PSG lift the champions league in the next few seasons.
Indeed. I won't bemoan the price of a top player that doesn't have severe injury records. Hell I'd be happy if the club got Neymar for that price or higher.
I won't bitch about signing a top player with a injury record, but I'll voice concerns as it's a uncomfortable risk. It's not like voicing our concerns changes anything anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.