Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Why are they only talking about the tv series in the book thread. Is that the gang threadbanned in here?

TV is well ahead, not much to talk about other than comparisons of where the books might go as a result of what's happened in the show etc.

I don't think it was. Sansa made a point to say a dragon and a chunk of the army is already out. That far from implies Dany will suddenly take Cersei out quick, or that she had the means to given the Dragons aren't the trump card she thought.

Jaime is not going back to hold hands with cersei, he's going to end the root of everything that makes him a bad person. I thought that was made extremely clear at the scene with Brienne. Unless I'm shit at interpreting it of course :lol:

Edit - I just checked the writers do claim that he's gone because he's addicted to Cersei. That has to be one of the shoodiest pieces of writing ever but I'm less than surprised given their standards.
Dunno. To me intent of Sansa scene and Jamie scene was clear from the get go. Only thing I found off putting was Brienne crying profusely over it .

There was no line of sight between Euron and Grey Worm. They couldn't see each other until it was too late.

There was eventually a line of sight between Dany and Euron. They could see each other. But because Euron was waiting to ambush and could hear the dragon screeches, he and several other bowmen took the Rhaegon by surprise.

It's like walking past a dark alleyway at night whilst talking out loud on your phone. If there's a mugger with a knife hiding in the alleyway as you pass, there's nothing you can do about it because he's got the jump on you, even if you've got a bigger knife in your pocket.

Dany's characterisation has been gradual and well represented on the show. You must have missed it.

The ending was cinematically problematic in terms of scale. But the steps you've listed are pretty much the only way it could have gone. What more did you expect?

The characters have died in personality since HBO had no book to script from.

You are comparing a Dragon, who I would say like a bird has pretty good eyesight, certainly than a human. Your also saying that the strike rate of a bow and arrow (which is basically what it is) moving about on a boat on a sea shooting over a distance of a couple of hundred meters is gonna hit the target more often than not... really? Bullshit.

Ask for Cerisi not taking her chances to kill the last dragon who was right in front of here is also bullshit. As is Bron getting access to Tyrion and Jamie without being stopped either entering or exciting.

You can defend the show all you want it’s became a joke, some of the memes are both funny and accurate.

Dunno. To me intent of Sansa scene and Jamie scene was clear from the get go. Only thing I found off putting was Brienne crying profusely over it .

I still think he's going there to kill her. The writers wouldn't say that in their followup as its material plot information so they keep it as "he's addicted to her so he's going back".

I'm hoping that anyway. Jaime suddenly going back to Cersei is like Theon causing a great revolution and then bowing to Euron because it's easier and he's suddenly believing hes meek again :lol: would make zero sense.

You're still putting yourself in danger by being there though, as evidenced by what ended up happening. Just send troops to different areas, secure them, and wait it out until Cersei is bereft of supplies and doesn't have enough money to pay her mercenary army who are just sitting around not fighting.

And the logic of starving them all is weird as well. The show is meant to be in a sort of medieval setting - why are pragmatic characters like Tyrion and Varys now suddenly so concerned about peasants dying when they've spent the entire show orchestrating plans which involved poor people getting fecked to further their own motivations? Why's it suddenly more moral and logical to slowly starve people to death instead of taking the city in one go? Daenerys has made compromises: the idea her taking KL by force is somehow a sign of madness is bizarre.
Varys has always had the interest of the people at heart; it’s what drives him and is the reason why he originally backs Dany. She’s the daughter of the mad king, with no land or established force in the 7 kingdoms. Melting the capital and it’s inhabitants isn’t the best way to endear herself to her people. Cersei’s own grasp on the throne is tenuous at best, chiefly because she doesn’t have the support of the common people. It’s why Marg was deemed such a threat, because she knew how to do just that.

Some parts aren't well written. That doesn't mean all of it isn't. Nor does it mean suddenly everything has to be capable and achievable in medieval times, because that's when ASOIAF is loosely based. We've had this sort of thing happen several times, but before it was perfectly acceptable. Explain to me why it's impossible for a dragon to be killed by an enormous ballista, researched and designed specifically to a kill a dragon, after having several scenes of foreshadowing?

I'm not sure what this has to do with me, I've never said they couldn't kill a dragon.

Well no she clearly didn't forget about it. My take on what he means is that she's grieving, both the loss of a child and her most loyal servant, and she's going a bit loopy. We want realism, then let's stop expecting our characters to make mechanical decision. Emotions does that to the best of us. Its like trying to find reason in why her father went bat shit crazy. There wasn’t logic in it.
No line of sight? You have literally no way of knowing that because they didn't show a line of sight. This is what l mean.
Because it's by far the quickest route. We've already established her haste in getting there. I could be wrong but do they know that the scorpions were mounted to the ships? And not just used to protect KL? I'd be pretty arrogant too going by boat if I had 2 fire breathing dragons in my disposal and all my enemies were neatly huddled together in highly flammable tubs.
At this point you expect no on to ever be caught off guard. And why did you think it's harder to hit an evasive target than one who is caught unawares?

That's what you want him to mean. This is where defending the writing gets to you, because sure you want what he said to make sense, yet in the show things don't.

It's no different to what we are saying with the show is it...we wany things to mean something, but turns out they really don't. Turns out, they are going for style over substance.

So no, I think you really are clutching at straws there. Dany has grieved over the loss of a dragon before and she never 'forgot' about the enemy. She nearly lost Drogon and her life to a scorpion, so no, it's highly unlikely she 'forgot' about them due to grief.

He's made a bit of an idiot of himself saying that, but it does kind of sum up the writing these days doesn't it?

So is Jamie heading back to KL to kill Euron? Or Cersei? Or neither?

He's going back because he realises Cersei and his baby are in danger.

He hasn't suddenly gone back to being a bad guy, he said that to Brienne to likely justify his motives to himself. But in reality he HAS changed and I'm sure we'll get an ending for him to show that.

Just likely a terribly contrived one.

I'm not sure what this has to do with me, I've never said they couldn't kill a dragon.

That's what you want him to mean. This is where defending the writing gets to you, because sure you want what he said to make sense, yet in the show things don't.

It's no different to what we are saying with the show is it...we wany things to mean something, but turns out they really don't. Turns out, they are going for style over substance.

So no, I think you really are clutching at straws there. Dany has grieved over the loss of a dragon before and she never 'forgot' about the enemy. She nearly lost Drogon and her life to a scorpion, so no, it's highly unlikely she 'forgot' about them due to grief.

He's made a bit of an idiot of himself saying that, but it does kind of sum up the writing these days doesn't it?
Because your post was in direct response to a post that was for me.

Nah. I think you and others are that the intent on painting the directors as complete morons, that anything that can be used against them will be. Even you genuinely can’t believe that, after demonstrating their ability for 8 years (and let’s not forget some of the best moments in the series have been their own constructs) that they just decided to go ahead and use ‘she just gone done forget’ as a major plot driver. Let’s me honest, no one wants to do these things, and an enormous amount of bullocks in uttered in them.

They've butchered bronn's character. His cameo didn't even make sense. If cersei wins she'd know he didn't do as he commanded and if dany wins he'd be in no position to demand anything. Blackmailing just doesn't work in this situation..tyrion could just tell him to feck off afterwards.

They've butchered bronn's character. His cameo didn't even make sense. If cersei wins she'd know he didn't do as he commanded and if dany wins he'd be in no position to demand anything. Blackmailing just doesn't work in this situation..tyrion could just tell him to feck off afterwards.

Yeah, reeks of another character that they've no idea what to do with.

Bronn should've be killed off or even just given his gold and castle and given his wave goodbye long ago. The writers are so afraid to get rid of good characters these days. There hasn't been a single big death in the show since season four. I'm almost surprised they didn't try find some way to bring Oberyn back from the dead as a squished face man or something cause he was such a fan favourite.

He's going back because he realises Cersei and his baby are in danger.

He hasn't suddenly gone back to being a bad guy, he said that to Brienne to likely justify his motives to himself. But in reality he HAS changed and I'm sure we'll get an ending for him to show that.

Just likely a terribly contrived one.
If that is true he is a bit slow on the uptake..

Because your post was in direct response to a post that was for me.

Nah. I think you and others are that the intent on painting the directors as complete morons, that anything that can be used against them will be. Even you genuinely can’t believe that, after demonstrating their ability for 8 years (and let’s not forget some of the best moments in the series have been their own constructs) that they just decided to go ahead and use ‘she just gone done forget’ as a major plot driver. Let’s me honest, no one wants to do these things, and an enormous amount of bullocks in uttered in them.

Again, that's what you want to think. Your problem is you tar everyone with an opinion different to yours with the same brush. I'm not calling them morons, I'm not saying they've completely ruined the show, but what I personally am saying is they've gone for style over substance and as such it's fair for people to question that. Especially with the comment about Dany "forgetting" what she's faced and is likely to come up against.

If that is true he is a bit slow on the uptake..

Not at all, it's the main reason he went north to fight for the living isn't it?

In any case, it should hardly be a shock he's heading back down south. It's just the way it played out which is the odd thing for me.

Bronn should've be killed off or even just given his gold and castle and given his wave goodbye long ago. The writers are so afraid to get rid of good characters these days. There hasn't been a single big death in the show since season four. I'm almost surprised they didn't try find some way to bring Oberyn back from the dead as a squished face man or something cause he was such a fan favourite.
To be fair you can see why they kept Bronn around after his story from the books was finished. They'd struck gold with him and he was a great character. You could stick him into most scenarios and let him make smart arsed comments. I think they just finally squeezed too hard to get him into a scene with Tyrion and Jaime and it's backfired. Maybe the crossbow versus Drogon bit should have seen him wandering off into the sunset as he'd had enough after seeing dragons in action.

For 8 years and 2 weeks we have been hearing winter is coming and when it finally arrived it only took one night to end it.

It's like how people hype snow in this country.They probably stocked up on bread and milk too.

Like you and others have said - I agree with this. Bronn s scene was extremely jarring. Bronn served a purpose and they could have ended it gracefully. Let's hope Bronn gets taken to Highgarden by Jaime and Tyrion at the end and gets to gaze upon his new castle.. Only to be stabbed in the back.

One another note: does anyone think there will be any more fallout from the dead direwolf in S1e1? The fact it was killed by a stag? Do people think that foreshadowing has already been done with or will it still end up being a Stark and Baratheon thing in the end?

Gendry was just made a Baratheon and Tyrion again uttered the words that the Starks and Baratheons have kept the realm together. Either they will again or the Stag killing the Direwolf could mean something darker.

Last edited:
That didn't seem to be what Sansa told him, more like the opposite as Cersei was in the ascendency having just killed a dragon.

So what's the thinking here, that he's going back to kill her?

Personally I think he hates the north and still thinks he can save Cersei and the baby and live happily ever after. I don't believe for a second he's done another u-turn. But it'll likely end up with them both dead.

So what's the thinking here, that he's going back to kill her?

Personally I think he hates the north and still thinks he can save Cersei and the baby and live happily ever after. I don't believe for a second he's done another u-turn. But it'll likely end up with them both dead.

I don't know for certain that he's going back with the intention to kill her, I think he is going back to stop what is likely to be an absolute bloodbath and a lot of innocents dying. I personally don't think he cares too much for the baby or he would have left as soon as the War in the North was done.

Why are they only talking about the tv series in the book thread. Is that the gang threadbanned in here?
They don't have to check that what they are saying happened in the show over there. They can discuss relevant point based against book lore. They can't do that here without risking a warning.

Not at all, it's the main reason he went north to fight for the living isn't it?

In any case, it should hardly be a shock he's heading back down south. It's just the way it played out which is the odd thing for me.
So why did Sansa's message jar him into action?

Why wasnt he jarred into action by the army + 2 dragons heading south?

So what's the kill list for the next episode?

I'll go for:

- Euron
- Cersei
- Dany
- Greyworm
- Varys
- Qyburn
- Jaime
- The Mountain

Possibly because he realizes that Dany and the Unsullied may be about to go ape-shit and destroy the entire city?

I'll go for:

- Euron
- Cersei
- Dany
- Greyworm
- Varys
- Qyburn
- Jaime
- The Mountain

Think it will be:
Agree with all except Dany and Varys, save those for the final episode, will add the Hound in there as well.

I'll go for:

- Euron
- Cersei
- Dany
- Greyworm
- Varys
- Qyburn
- Jaime
- The Mountain

Add the Hound. I think Cleganebowl will end with Sandor killing Gregor but succumbing to mortal wounds and dying with Arya at his side.

Varys won't die probably. He is the "Protector of the Realm of Men", the Silent Guardian, the Dark Knight...ok, think you get it. I think he will watch this play out, do his bit in ensuring Jon gets the throne and just disappear.

Also, looks like there will be one person left alive of each house bar the Starks. Jon for Targaryen (Dany dies), Gendry for Baratheon and Tyrion for Lannister. So are the Starks the exception or will one of Arya or Sansa die (Bran is no longer a "Stark" as he is the 3 eyed Raven)...

Like you and others have said - I agree with this. Bronn s scene was extremely jarring. Bronn served a purpose and they could have ended it gracefully. Let's hope Bronn gets taken to Highgarden by Jaime and Tyrion at the end and gets to gaze upon his new castle.. Only to be stabbed in the back.

One another note: does anyone think there will be any more fallout from the dead direwolf in S1e1? The fact it was killed by a stag? Do people think that foreshadowing has already been done with or will it still end up being a Stark and Baratheon thing in the end?

Gendry was just made a Baratheon and Tyrion again uttered the words that the Starks and Baratheons have kept the realm together. Either they will again or the Stag killing the Direwolf could mean something darker.
They did say a few times before the season started that it would go full circle back to the first series. Maybe even the first episode, I can't remember. But they could have been talking about some of the fan service stuff from the first couple of episodes.

They killed each other. The stag died first then the Dire Wolf succumbed to injuries

they'll probably just kill off the last dragon (because why the feck not) and some pointless character like Qyburn and that'll be it.

Show has completely fallen off a cliff.

An utter disaster of a season so far

Is it possible that Jaime will overhear Euron boasting about how the baby is his and then he kills Cersei because of it? And then Drogon comes through the ceiling and chomps Jaime. And then Euron runs at Drogon with a big stick and stabs him in the eye, before he also gets chomped. And then everyone dies.

So what is your opinion then? Why is he suddenly going back south?

I don't know for certain that he's going back with the intention to kill her, I think he is going back to stop what is likely to be an absolute bloodbath and a lot of innocents dying. I personally don't think he cares too much for the baby or he would have left as soon as the War in the North was done.

We are on the same page I think, maybe I'm not explaining myself properly.

I'm arguing against those who believe he has abandoned his redemption arc, I think it's going to be the completion of it. Sansa bringing it back home to him what's happening has spurred him to make one last ditch attempt to try to get her to step down from the crazy and live out her days with him. For whatever reason it actually is, he's not going to go back to old Jaime and just agree with everything she says and to help her kill all those people just to win.

they'll probably just kill off the last dragon (because why the feck not) and some pointless character like Qyburn and that'll be it.
Nah man, there will be a massive death list. Peasant #3, soldier #17, minor character, minor character, peasant #56, golden company guy who has had one scene, peasant #374 and soldier #8943. If they kill peasant #2 I'll be proper pissed off like.

I don't think there's anything they could do in the last 2 episodes to save this series now.

They completely fucked it.

Again, that's what you want to think. Your problem is you tar everyone with an opinion different to yours with the same brush. I'm not calling them morons, I'm not saying they've completely ruined the show, but what I personally am saying is they've gone for style over substance and as such it's fair for people to question that. Especially with the comment about Dany "forgetting" what she's faced and is likely to come up against.
You kind of are, if you beleive they decided Dany just forgot about them. You're kind of suggesting they are catastrophically incompetent if this is all they could come up with.

If you look at the context in which it is said, and what preceeded it, it comes across quite different.

“Dany’s other enemies have not just been sitting still—they’ve been planning for the final battle,” Benioff said. “We saw in Season 7 that Qyburn had invented this giant, dragon-killing Scorpion. Qyburn went back to the drawing board and he made even larger, more powerful Scorpions. Dozens of them are now lining the walls of King’s Landing, and dozens more are lining the decks of the Iron Fleet.”

He continued, “While Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet and Euron’s forces, they certainly haven’t forgotten about her.”
Are you telling me those two paragraphs are completely unrelated?