Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

Well for starters this is a discussion forum, am I right? :)
Exactly, which is why I asked asked you to discuss replacements. . .

No it wasn't. For me midfield is the key area where our club is lacking ability and numbers. It is a dire situation for years, only worsened by players leaving this summer. So yeah, I consider many players as capable improvements. Maybe not the "fanciful" names you and others would like to see but improvements nonetheless.
So we buy McGinn & he is better than McTominay. Then what? Is he capable of being as good as we’d want from an FdJ? No. Is he particularly well suited to what we’ve seen from EtH teams previously? No but. . . he’s better than McTominay so let’s spend 10s of millions & give a player a multi year contract.

McGinn is a starting midfielder for a rich EPL side, you’ve made the assumption he’ll come A) Cheaper than FdJ; B) Easily. If you could port McGinn in & McTominay out then I think most would do so but given he’d have little to no longevity to EtH spending countless millions on a better McTominay is smart move how?
A) McFred will give you 3-5 out of 10 performances average through the season. Looking for players who are giving you constant 7-9 out of 10 performances is great, but it reduces the options. We would improve by bringing in one or two 5-7 out of 10 players. I get it, you are looking for the perfect coup. I am looking for better than what we have. I have no issue, bringing in a player who might be surplus of requirements in two years time as long as he contributed in our team getting more competitive again. It is what needs to be done - be pragmatic, accept where you are and deal with it. We can't just suck in recruitment for years and then undo that with one great transfer. We may need to eat the frog because it will stabilize us and that is what we need. Competing for titles needs a certain fundament. Be that "hard to beat" or "outscore every opposition". But we don't have anything to fall back on.
The age old Caf tactic of conflating a different topic into the original one. FdJ isn’t being signed to displace McFred entirely, we’ve lost a few CMs in the last few years & need a midfielder to add to what we have already. The phase out of either is at least a season away.

FdJ &/or his replacement aren’t simpler there to be better than McFred but let’s take your argument further, say we get in any midfielder you like [although you take offence at being asked to name one] & they’re good 5-7 times out of 10. What do we do with them next Summer when we chase an FdJ type again? You’ll be making the same cries to replace them with a 7-9 out 10 player.

The argument we need to improve on McFred is valid [I’m not a big fan myself] but you don’t go from FdJ to any midfielder better than McFred. That’s what’s fanciful, not their names.
Fixating on one player is the worst thing to do in such a situation. Fixating on one with such a "dramatic" backstory is even worse.
Says the man fixating on any player better than a below standard McFred. . .
B) Funny that you are scared of stagnating. The trend in the last years wasn't stagnating at all, it is was downward. Bringing in players to stop that trend would be a first step. Bringing in a player who can turn it around would be even better of course but I don't see ONE player able to do this. So why make it more difficult for ourselves?
Bringing in more average midfielders to displace our average midfielders wouldn’t halt the downward trend though, it would exacerbate it. You don’t seek out players that do well 5-7 times out of 10.

I agree we are not one player away, that said we’re also not a bunch of cost 5-7 out of 10 players away either.

Feel free to mention suitable replacements at any point.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Haha the state of this opinion! They’ve won so many La Ligas and Copa del Reys dating way back. They’re essentially the Catalan national team and a powerful symbol of antifacist resistance for that region. They also had absolutely legendary players decades before Ronaldinho ffs maybe you’re just young? I don’t see them failing - they’re too important to La Liga and European football, rightly or wrongly. They’ll always find ninja tricks to keep going. Look at their signings this summer for example in spite of their financial issues!

Said it better than I could. They’ve always been and will always be legendary.

Admittedly, im a bit biased as I used to live there, but the atmosphere on match days is insane, true club of the people.
You're right, my favourite moment is when they got pumped 4-0 in the UCL final

Gandalf

I get what you’re saying but £35m doesn’t get you much these days. I bet they’d let him go for £50m and that would be doable. This is only if FDJ can’t be got of course. We can’t carry on with the midfield options we have at the club now.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...100MILLION-amid-Man-United-Arsenal-Spurs.html

I admit this is only the Fail but it was reported in other places too and it is a direct quote from Lage. I would not go for him at 50M when there are better players available at that price or a little below such as Bennacer. He is decent on the ball but not the best defensively and he makes Maguire look positively rapid.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Oh man, feels a bit like this thread is on its Arse tonight. We need a tweet or a rumour to liven things up around here before we start arguing over who dies first, or who kills who :(
Don't worry Barcelona play Madrid in the early hours, we can dissect where Frenkie plays all over again :lol:

worldinmotion66

Any of the other muppets joining the bet? Some seem incredibly confident that it's 100% going to happen. Time to put your necks on the line.

Could do a mass clearout and have a yes/no poll, whichever gets it wrong gets deleted :lol:
Imagine if he didn't sign and all the optimists among us were deleted? This place would be depressing!

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Imagine if he didn't sign and all the optimists among us were deleted? This place would be depressing!
We could call the place NegCafe... home of all the negative muppets. Every transfer thread would be full of muppets shitting over the club and the board, calling them amateurs and morons.

worldinmotion66

We could call the place NegCafe... home of all the negative muppets. Every transfer thread would be full of muppets shitting over the club and the board, calling them amateurs and morons.
Whereas if he signs, we could call it RedLaugh and it'd be full of blind optimism, rainbows and unicorns!!

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
We’re all staying up til 4am to see if he waves at all during the Barca game
He's gonna look into the camera and go all Leo DiCaprio on our arses

"I'm not going... I'm not fecking going"
"Laporta you paella eating prick, you're gonna have to drag me out of this club kicking and screaming, cos I'm not fecking going, the show goes on" he flips the bird and walks off.

Me: "It's so fecking on!!" Haha

Muppets go into meltdown

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He's gonna look into the camera and go all Leo DiCaprio on our arses

"I'm not going... I'm not fecking going"
"Laporta you paella eating prick, you're gonna have to drag me out of this club kicking and screaming, cos I'm not fecking going, the show goes on" he flips the bird and walks off.

Me: "It's so fecking on!!" Haha

Muppets go into meltdown
:lol:

OrcaFat

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...100MILLION-amid-Man-United-Arsenal-Spurs.html

I admit this is only the Fail but it was reported in other places too and it is a direct quote from Lage. I would not go for him at 50M when there are better players available at that price or a little below such as Bennacer. He is decent on the ball but not the best defensively and he makes Maguire look positively rapid.
Could be true but £50m is quite a lot for Wolves to turn down. I think he’s worth that much but if we can actually get better players for less, why not? The point is we might not get FDJ but we really need to strengthen CM. It is a significant problem.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

£100m for Neves eh... Yeaaah... Nah.
He's better than what we have, but £100m worth?? Feck that

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
As they say... no news is good news.

I'm still quite shocked that Sport haven't been at it now for a few days... have Barca stopped feeding them news?
Barca been too busy fiddling the accounts to get Kounde in.

Status
Not open for further replies.