French League - 'Ligue 1' 2016/17 | AS Monaco Champions!

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
It would be good for the league if Monaco could win - never good if the same team wins every year (unless you are a fan of that team), even if PSG fans won't agree with that.
Yep, Monaco deserve it based on their style of play and the fact they play so many youngsters :)

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I cannot understand the obsession with PSG winning the league, they win because in my opinion they have an top 3 squad in Europe, at this moment only Juventus and Bayern have an better squad, and not worse than Real Madrid or Barcelona squad, not individual players, I am talking about overall value and solutions for the squad.

And another thing that misses here on analysis, the club with most titles in France is Saint Étienne, with 10 titles, and the second one is Marseille with 9 titles, I am always reading that in England there are 6 clubs who can win, but in my opinion only 3 clubs at this moment have potential to be Champions League winners in the future, City - United - Chelsea, so it is hard to understand why Arsenal, Spurs or Liverpool are potential winners of the Premier League, and Leicester was the worse champion of the top 5 leagues last year.

In the past Lyon won 6 or 7 titles in a row, because they were better and the only competitive french club at Champions League level, and now is PSG, what is the problem if PSG or Bayern or Juventus win the national league, what measures the quality of top level football is the Champions League.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@SCP

PSG wants to win all the competitions because the club has an unlimited budget.

The main difference between this season and last season is a team like Monaco whose team is attractive and efficient.

PSG has between 20 and 25 quality players. With the right turn-over, PSG has to win all the domestic competitions... like his European competitors Bayern, Juve.

Laurent Blanc was sacked because of 2 games against City.

So, please be sure Unai Emery knows the most important game of the season is the return against Barcelona.

The difference between the French league and the EPL is pretty sample:

- Only PSG and Monaco were capable to attract and retain world-class players in the last seasons
- Between 5 and 7 EPL clubs can do that. Competition is more open on paper.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@SCP

PSG wants to win all the competitions because the club has an unlimited budget.

The main difference between this season and last season is a team like Monaco whose team is attractive and efficient.

PSG has between 20 and 25 quality players. With the right turn-over, PSG has to win all the domestic competitions... like his European competitors Bayern, Juve.

Laurent Blanc was sacked because of 2 games against City.

So, please be sure Unai Emery knows the most important game of the season is the return against Barcelona.

The difference between the French league and the EPL is pretty sample:

- Only PSG and Monaco were capable to attract and retain world-class players in the last seasons
- Between 5 and 7 EPL clubs can do that. Competition is more open on paper.
Next year lets see if Monaco can keep their best players, how many Lyon will sell, and what kind of players will arrive at Nice, Lille or Marseille, the key for the improvement of Ligue 1 would be to keep the best french players.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Next year lets see if Monaco can keep their best players, how many Lyon will sell, and what kind of players will arrive at Nice, Lille or Marseille, the key for the improvement of Ligue 1 would be to keep the best french players.
Monaco has an excellent management. They know how to recruit smartly and sell their players.
Nice I'm very skeptical.
Lyon:Chinese investors entering in the shareholding structure of Lyon. They will sell Lacazette and/or Tolisso so in a position to invest a lot next summer.
They need to find the right balance between young players and reliable confirmed players.
Lille: question mark but there is a new ambitious investor and Bielsa coming.
Marseille - contrary to last season - would be in a position to prepare well the next season. The new shareholder acquired the club 4 months ago. They really want to challenge PSG/Monaco

Contrary to the 90s and 00s, the high-profile players essentially play for 2-3 clubs, let's say 4 clubs max. And these clubs have the best domestic academies. The DNA of the French league is to sell his best domestic players but we do have 2-3 clubs capable to retain them.

I'm rather inclined to think the improvement of Ligue 1 mainly rely on the quality of coaches. If France won 2 European cups at the club level in his history, it's partly because of the limited quality of the French coaches.

In 2010, we had 1 or 2 foreign coaches against 6 now. PSG and Monaco have reliable (foreign) coaches.
During this season, the coach of Nantes Girard was replaced by the already successful Sergio Conceicao... and Bastia recently recruited a Portuguese coach.
Next season, Bielsa will come back in France to coach Lille.

The landscape is changing quickly so next season will be very interesting :)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Monaco has an excellent management. They know how to recruit smartly and sell their players.
Nice I'm very skeptical.
Lyon:Chinese investors entering in the shareholding structure of Lyon. They will sell Lacazette and/or Tolisso so in a position to invest a lot next summer.
They need to find the right balance between young players and reliable confirmed players.
Marseille - contrary to last season - would be in a position to prepare well the next season. The new shareholder acquired the club 4 months ago. They really want to challenge PSG/Monaco

Contrary to the 90s and 00s, the high-profile players essentially play for 2-3 clubs, let's say 4 clubs max. And these clubs have the best domestic academies. The DNA of the French league is to sell his best domestic players but we do have 2-3 clubs capable to retain them.

I'm rather inclined to think the improvement of Ligue 1 mainly rely on the quality of coaches. If France won 2 European cups at the club level in his history, it's partly because of the limited quality of the French coaches.

In 2010, we had 1 or 2 foreign coaches against 6 now. PSG and Monaco have reliable (foreign) coaches.
During this season, the coach of Nantes Girard was replaced by the already successful Sergio Conceicao... and Bastia recently recruited a Portuguese coach.

Nice have Chinese and American shareholders.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Nice have Chinese and American shareholders.
Nice to have change in terms of dynamics, I mean.

The issue is that French companies/funds/wealthy people doesn't love Football and invest in this business :(

JPRouve

Scout
Nice to have change in terms of dynamics, I mean.

The issue is that French companies/funds/wealthy people doesn't love Football and invest in this business :(
No, I meant that you mentioned the investors for all the clubs except Nice. Nice are owned by Chinese and Americans, the Chinese are the same owning the club where Lavezzi plays iirc.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
No, I meant that you mentioned the investors for all the clubs except Nice. Nice are owned by Chinese and Americans, the Chinese are the same owning the club where Lavezzi plays iirc.
Oh, sorry!

I thought you were ironical by saying 'Nice to have Chinese/American investors :mad:'

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nice I'm very skeptical.

The problem with Monaco is how many players they will sell and what players, and if Jardim will stay or no, Lyon will sell probably Lacazette and Tolisso, lets see how they invest, Nice if they keep Favre and the best players maybe they can maintain their level, Lille has to stay because at this moment they are not safe yet and lets see how Marseille will invest.

Regarding coaches, is true that there are foreign coaches, but not all French coaches are bad, I would like to know what will happen with Blanc, but all the ingredients are there to raise the level of Ligue 1 next year, regarding the clubs with the best academies, we are talking about what, PSG, Lyon, Monaco, what are the others?

I don't know what is the current level with the academies of Nice, Marseille, Lille, Nantes and so on, but if they keep more the best players the gap with the Premier League will be smaller.

I don't know if even Germany is producing the same level of young players in Europe like France, so probably with more money the gap to the Bundesliga, Serie A or La Liga will fall too.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Regarding coaches, is true that there are foreign coaches, but not all French coaches are bad, I would like to know what will happen with Blanc, but all the ingredients are there to raise the level of Ligue 1 next year, regarding the clubs with the best academies, we are talking about what, PSG, Lyon, Monaco, what are the others?

I don't know what is the current level with the academies of Nice, Marseille, Lille, Nantes and so on, but if they keep more the best players the gap with the Premier League will be smaller.

I don't know if even Germany is producing the same level of young players in Europe like France, so probably with more money the gap to the Bundesliga, Serie A or La Liga will fall too.
If you want my personal ranking of the French academies, I'd say

Level 1: Monaco, PSG, Lyon...
Level 2: Rennes...
Level 3: Nantes, Lille
Level 4: Marseille

If you want an official ranking (French Football Association) - I don't know the ranking criteria - , here we are:

1er. Olympique Lyonnais
2. PSG
3. Toulouse FC
4. Bordeaux
5. AS Monaco
6. AJ Auxerre
7. Rennes
8. FC Metz
9. RC Lens
10. FC Nantes
11. Nancy
12. FC Sochaux-Montbéliard
13. OGC Nice
14. Valenciennes
15. ESTAC Troyes
16. Le Havre
17. Montpellier
18. Lille
19. FC Lorient
20. Châteauroux
21. AS Saint-Étienne
22. Olympique de Marseille
23. Guingamp
24. Stade de Reims
25. SM Caen
26. Laval
27. Nîmes Olympique
28. SC Bastia
29. Tours FC
30. Niort
31. Evian-TG
32. AC Ajaccio
33. Dijon
34. Brest
35. Angers.

Last edited:

RedMaestro

If you want an official ranking (French Football Association) - I don't the ranking criteria - , here we are:

1er. Olympique Lyonnais
2. PSG
3. Toulouse FC
4. Bordeaux
5. AS Monaco
6. AJ Auxerre
7. Rennes
8. FC Metz
9. RC Lens
10. FC Nantes
11. Nancy
13. OGC Nice
14. Valenciennes
15. ESTAC Troyes
16. Le Havre
17. Montpellier
18. Lille
19. FC Lorient
20. Châteauroux
21. AS Saint-Étienne
23. Guingamp
24. Stade de Reims
25. SM Caen
26. Laval
27. Nîmes Olympique
28. SC Bastia
29. Tours FC
30. Niort
31. Evian-TG
32. AC Ajaccio
33. Dijon
34. Brest
35. Angers.
If that's a ranking then I can't understand how Le Havre is 16th...

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
If that's a ranking then I can't understand how Le Havre is 16th...
It depends on the ranking criteria: % of pro players coming from academy, players who who played for France (youth)....

JPRouve

Scout
It depends on the ranking criteria: % of pro players coming from academy, players who who played for France (youth)....
If it was the first, Marseille wouldn't be in the top 100.

NYAS

Very disappointing by Monaco, for all their attacking prowess they're somewhat weak defensively and what's more annoying is that they don't even concede a lot of goals, but the goals they do concede are so vital and at terrible times. Now going into extra-time at Marseille in the cup after being pegged back twice, conceding both goals less than 5 minutes from the end of each half.

Then you remember how they collapsed defensively at City. I can also recall how they conceded a late goal at Dijon in the league, they ended up drawing 1-1 in that game.

Come on Monaco :mad:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Very disappointing by Monaco, for all their attacking prowess they're somewhat weak defensively and what's more annoying is that they don't even concede a lot of goals, but the goals they do concede are so vital and at terrible times. Now going into extra-time at Marseille in the cup after being pegged back twice, conceding both goals less than 5 minutes from the end of each half.

Then you remember how they collapsed defensively at City. I can also recall how they conceded a late goal at Dijon in the league, they ended up drawing 1-1 in that game.

Come on Monaco :mad:
Mbappe :drool:

I want Marseille to win in order to have...a final PSG-Marseille :devil:

Celestiale

Very disappointing by Monaco, for all their attacking prowess they're somewhat weak defensively
It's not the individual players though, rather the tactics..if you push in the first row like mad, you'll always be light at the back - no matter how good your defenders are

NYAS

Let's see if they can hold on to this lead for a third attempt.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I buy the story 'Mbappé the new Henry'.

Henry was faster and deployed on the wing at the same age.

Same potential.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG scored 5 goals there last Sunday.
Monaco 4 goals tonight.

WhoDaGOAT

Mendy must be due a call up to the national team now? 9 assists so far this season.

NYAS

Payet about to take a free-kick on the edge of the D :nervous:

NYAS

Full-time after extra-time: Marseille 3-4 Monaco.

I feel like I just ran a marathon watching that.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

If you want an official ranking (French Football Association) - I don't know the ranking criteria - , here we are:

1er. Olympique Lyonnais
2. PSG
3. Toulouse FC
4. Bordeaux
5. AS Monaco
6. AJ Auxerre
7. Rennes
8. FC Metz
9. RC Lens
10. FC Nantes
11. Nancy
13. OGC Nice
14. Valenciennes
15. ESTAC Troyes
16. Le Havre
17. Montpellier
18. Lille
19. FC Lorient
20. Châteauroux
21. AS Saint-Étienne
23. Guingamp
24. Stade de Reims
25. SM Caen
26. Laval
27. Nîmes Olympique
28. SC Bastia
29. Tours FC
30. Niort
31. Evian-TG
32. AC Ajaccio
33. Dijon
34. Brest
35. Angers.
How could i not remember about Bordeaux (Giresse) Auxerre (Mexés) or Rennes (Dembelé).

But yes it is very impressive the way the job is done in France related with youth development.

No surprise why Portugal always (or almost) loses with France, be the Senior National Team, Under 21 or Toulon Tournaments, clearly for me the best football school in Europe, even if we have an tragic record against Italy or Germany, even Spain also, but the quantity and quality that France produces for me only Brasil or Argentina are similar or above.

Thanks for the information.