French League - 'Ligue 1' 2016/17 | AS Monaco Champions!

bucky

Auxerre ----> 3th in 2010 ----> 9th in 2011 ----> 20th in 2012
Montpellier ----> Champion in 2012 ----> 9th in 2013 ----> 15th in 2014
Nice ----> top 5 in 2017 ----> ....

Could you guess my forecasts? :wenger:
I'm not saying you are wrong, it's entirely possible that they won't be as successful, especially since they are probably going to lose some players. But if they can keep most of their core and Favre stays, then they should be fine.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I'm not saying you are wrong, it's entirely possible that they won't be as successful, especially since they are probably going to lose some players. But if they can keep most of their core and Favre stays, then they should be fine.
Yeah, everything is possible mate.

Even if they keep most of their core and Favre stays, I'm not sure they will repeat their performances.

Leicester suffers this season despite keeping a good core of players. Just my opinion.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah, everything is possible mate.

Even if they keep most of their core and Favre stays, I'm not sure they will repeat their performances.

Leicester suffers this season despite keeping a good core of players. Just my opinion.
They already repeated it, this season.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Official | Marcelo Bielsa announced as Lille’s new manager

Lille have announced that Marcelo Bielsa will take over as the club’s new manager on the 1st July 2017 after an agreement relating to a two year contract was reached by the two parties.

Bielsa therefore has agreed to return to Ligue 1 following leaving French football in the summer of 2015 when he quit his post as Marseille manager.

Bielsa and Lille’s new owner Gérard Lopez have a close relationship and it is undoubtedly that factor which played a primordial role in getting an agreement.

There is a grave difference between an agreement with Bielsa and him actually becoming the club’s manager, his false arrival at Lazio earlier this season is testament to that fact.

Lille will however be confident that Bielsa will stay true to his word. General Manager Marc Ingla had the following to say on the development:

“Marcelo Bielsa is without a doubt one of the most respected and influential managers in the world and to be able to attract him to Lille is a source of immense satisfaction. It also serves as proof, if that was even necessary, of the ambitions of our club. It inso secret, Gérard Lopez and Marcelo Bielsa are close and have been discussing for a while this opportunity. We have always thought of Marcelo as the best person, for his philosophy of football as well as his experience, his rigour and professionalism, to fight with us for the project and the future victories of Lille.”

Mario Balotelli sent off for insulting the referee in English

Speaking to L’Équipe, referee Tony Chapron explained why he sent off OGC Nice forward Mario Balotelli last night in their Ligue 1 encounter with FC Lorient.

“He insulted me in English. I won’t go into detail, but it was the usual.”

This represents Balotelli’s 3rd red card of the campaign, although admittedly one was overturned, and capped off a woeful performance from the Italian forward.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
To be fair Tolisso was 20 back then. Since then Tolisso has scored 15 while Herrera has scored 6 in all competitions. Similar to Pogba this season, Tolisso could have had more during that period.
You're right about Tolisso.

2 goals today once again :drool:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Been a fan of his for a while. Will be interesting to see where he will end up. Can't see him stay beyond this season.
Lyon won't play the Champions League so they are likely to sell Lacazette + Tolisso for 80-100 millions.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
P.S.G. 0-0 against Toulose. Missed chance for them.
- Massive turn-over with Nkunku, Motta, Aurier, Maxwell, Lucas in the starting 11
- Verratti should have started the game: he only started the 2nd half and changed everything as usual
- Poor refereeing: we should have get 3 penalties at least.
- The opposing team has parked the bus.

At the end,

1. Monaco 59 pts
2. PSG 56
3. Nice 56
4. Lyon 43

PSG is still in the race.

Last edited:

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Did anyone catch the end of Lorient-Nice? Nice were down to 10 men but won 0-1, at full-time Favre the Nice manager was absolutely furious with one of his staff members, scolding him and putting his finger in his face in front of the cameras. I'm intrigued by this and would love to know what the situation was. Any French posters see anything in the local media about it?

@Downcast @JPRouve @BBRBB
Seems like Letizi asked the GK to play long balls while Favre wanted him to play short.
Speaking to L’Équipe, referee Tony Chapron explained why he sent off OGC Nice forward Mario Balotelli last night in their Ligue 1 encounter with FC Lorient.

“He insulted me in English. I won’t go into detail, but it was the usual.”
Super Mario unlucky to meet one Frenchman who understands some English.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
- Verratti should have started the game: he only started the 2nd half and changed everything as usual
It's really like that isn't it? Without verratti, you're a nothing team. With Verratti, you smash barcelona. He's a bit like Mane for liverpool :D

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It's really like that isn't it? Without verratti, you're a nothing team. With Verratti, you smash barcelona. He's a bit like Mane for liverpool :D
Absolutely :D. With him, we could do miracles.

A better comparison would be the Fabregas reliance for Arsenal many years ago or Effenberg for Bayern in the early 2000s :angel:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's a systemic weakness. Relies on a certain player's skillset to work, and when said player is missing, they don't have anybody to replace him, so either everyone else chips in to shoulder that specific job(and thus taking something away from the actual job they're supposed to do), or everything grounds to a halt

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
- Poor refereeing: we should have get 3 penalties at least.
As always if there's the slightest controversial refereeing decision in our favour there's endless talks about it but when we drop points with decisions against us nobody cares.

It's a systemic weakness. Relies on a certain player's skillset to work, and when said player is missing, they don't have anybody to replace him, so either everyone else chips in to shoulder that specific job(and thus taking something away from the actual job they're supposed to do), or everything grounds to a halt
Verratti is our most important player, only Pastore can really replace him as our main creative platform albeit in a very different fashion but he hasn't really been able to recently because he's injured all the time.

Most teams have key players that they can't replace properly and struggle without.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Verratti is our most important player, only Pastore can really replace him as our main creative platform albeit in a very different fashion but he hasn't really been able to recently because he's injured all the time.
I was a little bit disappointed by Pastore tonight: the feeling that he slows down the game.

Maybe, he just needs time.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I was a little bit disappointed by Pastore tonight: the feeling that he slows down the game.

Maybe, he just needs time.
Nothing to do with PSG, but do you know if Luis Campos is working now at Lille and if it is, with the signing of Bielsa will he remain as responsible for the new signings in the summer?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Nothing to do with PSG, but do you know if Luis Campos is working now at Lille and if it is, with the signing of Bielsa will he remain as responsible for the new signings in the summer?
Yeah, the president of Lille - Gérard Lopez - said that Luis Campos and Bielsa are working together.

For example, they target Ballot-Touré (PSG academy - 20 years - end of contract next summer).

The current coach of Lille is Passi who was the assistant of Bielsa in Marseille.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Oh so it is all connected, I do not know when did Campos left Monaco, but i have the sensation that many of the signings Monaco made in the last years has his fingerprints.

He turned from an mediocre coach to an top prospector in the football markets, and he his friend of Mourinho and very connected to Mendes, more like an portuguese version of Monchi.

If he is there, and I look at the signings they made in this last transfer window, it looks he is someone very gooid at his job, El Ghazy, and pay atention to the portuguese new midfielder, Xeka, potential and inteligence, if Bielsa comes I can see next season Ligue 1 with PSG, Monaco, Nice, Marseille and Lille very interesting to watch, to those who think Ligue 1 is patethic, they are very wrong.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Oh so it is all connected, I do not know when did Campos left Monaco, but i have the sensation that many of the signings Monaco made in the last years has his fingerprints.

He turned from an mediocre coach to an top prospector in the football markets, and he his friend of Mourinho and very connected to Mendes, more like an portuguese version of Monchi.

If he is there, and I look at the signings they made in this last transfer window, it looks he is someone very gooid at his job, El Ghazy, and pay atention to the portuguese new midfielder, Xeka, potential and inteligence, if Bielsa comes I can see next season Ligue 1 with PSG, Monaco, Nice, Marseille and Lille very interesting to watch, to those who think Ligue 1 is patethic, they are very wrong.
Next season will be very interesting because:

- I can't see PSG losing a major player (like Zlatan last year) and they will try to acquire a big name
- Marseille and Lille have new ambitious shareholders
- Monaco will remain strong
- Lyon will sell 1-2 players at a high price and be capable to invest a lot of money next summer

The Ligue 1 is sometimes boring but it's because the weak teams are disciplined defensively and don't take risks.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Next season will be very interesting because:

- I can't see PSG losing a major player (like Zlatan last year) and they will try to acquire a big name
- Marseille and Lille have new ambitious shareholders
- Monaco will remain strong
- Lyon will sell 1-2 players at a high price and be capable to invest a lot of money next summer

The Ligue 1 is sometimes boring but it's because the weak teams are disciplined defensively and don't take risks.
The only qustion will be if Jardim stays, how many players will leave, if Lucien Favre stays, and if Bielsa will be totally focused on his job and if the players he wants are in line with Campos, and then we need to see what players will Marseille bring and if Garcia working from the start of the season can improve them.

I like more the way the teams in Ligue 1 play that the majority of the teams in the Premier League, because they are more well coached in the tactical point and rely less on the individual quality of the players, because the only club who can keep the top players is PSG.

Lets see if next season the panorama will change.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
As always if there's the slightest controversial refereeing decision in our favour there's endless talks about it but when we drop points with decisions against us nobody cares.

:mad:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
At home, PSG has lost so many points: 29 points in 13 games...

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
PSG : Trapp - Meunier, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Kurzawa - Verratti, Rabiot, Matuidi - Pastore, Cavani, Lucas
OM : Pele - Sakai, Fanni, Rolando, Evra - Lopez, Vainqueur, Zambo Anguissa - Thauvin, Njie, Payet

Pastore and Lucas on the wings for PSG, Sanson and Sertic out for OM.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Marquinhos scores first!

Cavani makes it 2.

Last edited:

bucky

Anyone know why Malang Sarr has been left out by Favre?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Been pretty hard for OM fans this year with rivals at their stadium. Having said that, no team can expect to win this type of games with Rolando on the lineup. Horrible player

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Considering the first 3 are on a league of their own, it's difficult for P.S.G. and Nizza to catch Monaco. There aren't many games where Jardim's side can drop points.

RedMaestro

Considering the first 3 are on a league of their own, it's difficult for P.S.G. and Nizza to catch Monaco. There aren't many games where Jardim's side can drop points.
It would be good for the league if Monaco could win - never good if the same team wins every year (unless you are a fan of that team), even if PSG fans won't agree with that.