Frank Lampard | Burnley?

The players have also mastered some basic phrases in latin

bona fortuna to them I say!
Not sure but I think fortuna is always already good so "bona fortuna" would be a pleonasm, pardon my Greek.

Ferguson wouldn't have done jack shit. He talks a good game and is a hard un but has shown little to prove that he could keep Everton up.

Big Sam? Now we're talking. Where is he nowadays?

Big Sam actually managed Everton from Nov 2017-May 2018 so they've already tried that. And fans hounded him out. :lol:

Guess like Moyes and West Ham they could go cap in hand and say they made a big mistake but I doubt he'd believe that so can't see him being tempted at all even for a quick bonus.

Only Richy and Gordon care about us. The rest don’t give a shit.

There’s a potential good manager in him but he’s jumped up to soon. He should of stayed in the lower leagues for some time and learned on the job. I get as a Chelsea man the opportunity to manage them was probably too good but he might of got the opportunity in the future with more experience under his belt. Everton was waaaaay too big a job for someone with his experience. He doesn’t have relegation battle experience. That’s one tough job going in after Rafa and keeping them up, with the players he has. (Mentality wise) as they are so soft! He will have to almost take steps back after this in order to move forward.
I think rooney had the right idea to swerve that one.

Only Richy and Gordon care about us. The rest don’t give a shit.
I think DCL is an absolute disgrace especially. Modelling when his team is in serious shit and he hasn’t scored a goal in about 12 years is just distasteful and pretty embarrassing. Clearly has his heart set on leaving imo. What are your opinions on him as an Evertonian?

I think DCL is an absolute disgrace especially. Modelling when his team is in serious shit and he hasn’t scored a goal in about 12 years is just distasteful and pretty embarrassing. Clearly has his heart set on leaving imo. What are your opinions on him as an Evertonian?

I think footballers are entitled to their lives outside of football and I've defended them in the past for their external hobbies and interests but yeah, I can see how it can come across as distasteful when he's been out for most of the season and we are crying out for goals currently. Most of the squad has taken several steps backwards since last season.

There’s a potential good manager in him but he’s jumped up to soon. He should of stayed in the lower leagues for some time and learned on the job. I get as a Chelsea man the opportunity to manage them was probably too good but he might of got the opportunity in the future with more experience under his belt. Everton was waaaaay too big a job for someone with his experience. He doesn’t have relegation battle experience. That’s one tough job going in after Rafa and keeping them up, with the players he has. (Mentality wise) as they are so soft! He will have to almost take steps back after this in order to move forward.
I think rooney had the right idea to swerve that one.
Here's the thing, there's two options:
  1. He's good enough and as Frank Lampard he would clearly get opportunities once he'd proved himself
  2. He's not good enough and would fail
Jumping straight to Chelsea was a bad choice.

I think footballers are entitled to their lives outside of football and I've defended them in the past for their external hobbies and interests but yeah, I can see how it can come across as distasteful when he's been out for most of the season and we are crying out for goals currently. Most of the squad has taken several steps backwards since last season.

Feels like he was being talked about as an option for the top teams five minutes ago. Now plenty of Everton fans (at least what I've seen on GOT) seem to want him benched. What happened there?

Here's the thing, there's two options:
  1. He's good enough and as Frank Lampard he would clearly get opportunities once he'd proved himself
  2. He's not good enough and would fail
Jumping straight to Chelsea was a bad choice.

exactly that. He did ok with the transfer ban but the pressure was off and he could almost hide behind it. As soon as you go and spend 250 million on players and you aren’t challenging your gone. Hate to say it but steven Gerrards path Is a much more logical one. He has thought his moves through with thought and process.

Feels like he was being talked about as an option for the top teams five minutes ago. Now plenty of Everton fans (at least what I've seen on GOT) seem to want him benched. What happened there?

He's been out most of the season with injury and just doesn't look up to scratch at all. He needs a summer to go away and get fully fit and come back but we can't afford that right now, clearly. Which is terrible for us because his sale value will have tanked and even more so if we go down.

exactly that. He did ok with the transfer ban but the pressure was off and he could almost hide behind it. As soon as you go and spend 250 million on players and you aren’t challenging your gone. Hate to say it but steven Gerrards path Is a much more logical one. He has thought his moves through with thought and process.

Nah, Gerrard would have jumped at the Liverpool job beating his chest if it were free. There's just a vastly better manager at the helm there so he's had to work his way up more sensibly. Even so, the Rangers job is a massive one to get given so early in your career and clearly was earned through his playing reputation rather than managerial.

Lampard wasn't wrong to go to Chelsea. End of the day he had a pretty good first year there before eventually his inexperience showed. But it clearly did his reputation no harm in the long run as he got a very big job that he didn't merit as his next one.

The mistake is taking the 2nd big job where there's loads of pressure on, the team is shit and and you've been out of the game for a year because you were too arrogant to take the smaller jobs you were offered. He needed to have the humility to rebuild his career in a lower pressure environment and he didn't. I think Everton would struggle in the Championship next year as well so even if he somehow kept his job he's on a hiding to nothing. Dreadful career choice.

would like to see Richarlison at Atletico as that hard running target player they’ve not hard recently. Moyes the best fit for DCL I think, he’s not good enough for the likes of Arsenal.

With their remaining fixtures in mind, there's really not a good time to sack him either, to make the players believe the new manager when he says they can turn it around.
Rest of the season for them:

Manchester United (H)
Leicester (H)
Liverpool (A)
Chelsea (H)
Leicester (A) (yes, really. The match 3 rounds earlier is a postponed round 18 match)
Watford (A)
Brentford (H)
Crystal Palace (H)
Arsenal (A)

Do they sack him before the weekend now? Or let him play us, Leicester and pool? Unless he wins 2 of them (or 1 win 2 draw?) he gets sacked before Chelsea. Bring in someone like Big Sam for the last 6 games to make a stand and grind out results to keep them over the line?

But his attitude towards his team when things got more difficult turned me off him big time. I don't think he is humble enough to be a top manager, and I think his sense of status and ego is getting in the way of being successful.
He actually comes across like he thinks he is entitled to his team winning things to match his personal sense of self, and gets sulky and starts finger-pointing when they don't. And on top he's keenly aware of perception and narratives and reacts to this by protecting himself in interviews - he keeps making a point of declaring that these defeats were not a problem of "tactics" or that the "match plan" was good (it's interesting, the casual way he throws in these buzzwords to absolve himself) while blaming the player's mentality. When really, as a a manager he's got it all to prove, himself, first.
Not a pretty picture.

He did a poor job in his second season at Chelsea, and he's doing an outright horrible job right now. "Not good enough", as they like to say in English media.
This pretty much summarises how I feel about him, word for word.
I'm an arrogant bellend but everyone loves me.
Awwww you think people love you!!

Failed his interview at Palace. Thank God.

Lampard's big mistake was jumping from Derby straight up to Chelsea. He would have been better to stay at Derby and learn more about managing. I understand why he took the Chelsea job, but it was a mistake.

I can only speak for myself, but I found him likeable enough as a player, I liked him and found him impressive when I heard him as a pundit before he took over Chelsea, I liked him in his first season of Chelsea where he made a good and likeable young team. But his attitude towards his team when things got more difficult turned me off him big time. I don't think he is humble enough to be a top manager, and I think his sense of status and ego is getting in the way of being successful.
He actually comes across like he thinks he is entitled to his team winning things to match his personal sense of self, and gets sulky and starts finger-pointing when they don't. And on top he's keenly aware of perception and narratives and reacts to this by protecting himself in interviews - he keeps making a point of declaring that these defeats were not a problem of "tactics" or that the "match plan" was good (it's interesting, the casual way he throws in these buzzwords to absolve himself) while blaming the player's mentality. When really, as a a manager he's got it all to prove, himself, first.
Not a pretty picture.

He did a poor job in his second season at Chelsea, and he's doing an outright horrible job right now. "Not good enough", as they like to say in English media.

This 100% , the only thing I would add is that he has friends in the media (and a lot of superfans online) who will do all kinds of mental gymnastics to defend his failures.

The Everton fans drank that KoolAid and begged for this disaster.

Everton. United's even more sickly, frail twin.

Fully expecting Goodison to get sucked into a wormhole on Saturday. The universe can't handle that much incompetence in one confined space.

Do they sack him before the weekend now? Or let him play us, Leicester and pool? Unless he wins 2 of them (or 1 win 2 draw?) he gets sacked before Chelsea. Bring in someone like Big Sam for the last 6 games to make a stand and grind out results to keep them over the line?

I am not sure they can afford to sack him. They have been circling the drain with the PL financial sustainability rules for 18 months now which is why Benitez was given a bag of chips and a used jazz mag to trade for players this summer. It is still up in the air as to whether they would be docked points next season if they stay up and so blowing another big hole in the balance sheet by sacking Frank and his staff just a couple of months after sacking Rafa might be the tipping point.

Is the dislike for Lampard because he's been "gifted" opportunities that he didn't deserve or is there something else? He was always "Fat Frank" of course but I don't remember such gleeful distain for him.

I don't remember him being particularly disliked as a player (maybe he had Terry, Jose, Ashley Cole and Drogba protecting him as kinda hatred lightning rods).

I think it's more because he's a media darling, and how everything good he does/did is "Frank Lampard - top manager", and whenever his team lost, it's "look at the challenges he's facing". It's the same with Arteta as well.

He did a decent job at Chelsea, but journos and media have been protecting him every step of the way. I liked Lampard as a player, and even when he started out, I hoped he'd do well, but the over the top praise for him gets irritating + I loved Ole, and if I compare how differently both of them were treated, a part of me roots for Lampard's failure.

Edit: And has he really improved as a manager? I admit I haven't watched all Everton games, but from what I have seen, the problems that he was facing right from his 1st game as Chelsea manager 4-0 vs Utd to now, his sides are generally clueless in defensive transitions

Astounded he's still in a job today, no doubt Everton will get a draw against us though this weekend. I feel like Everton have a better chance of staying up if the players themselves picked the team and tactics

Is there anyone good for us at Everton if they go down?

I don't know, he reminds me of Martial so much it's painful. Calvert-Lewin would be a better option

Everton supporters are pretty pissed off with DCL at the moment. I appreciate he has been injured a lot this season but they feel he is giving very little effort when he does play and the story is that he is headed to Arsenal this summer and so his heart is just not in it not to mention he does not want to put his body on the line and risk a further injury to feck up the transfer. I don't know if this is true but the lack of effort part has been evident lately in the Everton games I have seen and so even if the Arsenal thing does not happen I would be very wary considering we already have a number of players prone to downing tools when they want a move/more playing time/a bigger contract etc.

I guess this is the difference between the players who "live" football and those who make a living in football. Only one of these players you want around when the going gets tough.

No idea. Think he’s the most likeable of all the Chelsea legends if I’m honest. Maybe it’s the Ole comparisons that fuel it on here.
I can think of a few Chelsea legends who are more likeable than Lampard. Top of my list would be Zola. Drogba maybe. Gudjohnsen.

I get a vibe from Lampard - an air of superiority at times. A certain prickliness that comes from maybe not be as lauded as he wishes he had been. A chip on the shoulder if you will, disguised, but still there.

Dyche's post match comments about Everton were devastating. Every other team facing them from here will remember that and it'll be getting under the skin of the Everton players that he was proven right at full time.

Surely the worst manager in the Premier League? Ole for all his faults is twice the manager this charlatan is.

Everton needed a coach , who could improve players on the training ground. Yet, they went for Lampard who is a big Zero.

It shows the importance of connections, and it applies to everybody. One can be very under-qualified and yet get the job. Lampard has nothing to fear about his Everton's performance, as he still has big footballing connections and would always succeed in getting roles.

Everton needed a coach , who could improve players on the training ground. Yet, they went for Lampard who is a big Zero.

It shows the importance of connections, and it applies to everybody. One can be very under-qualified and yet get the job. Lampard has nothing to fear about his Everton's performance, as he still has big footballing connections and would always succeed in getting roles.
To be fair he was one of the greatest players of his generation so he definitely has earned some respect based on that alone , its running out though.