Gaming FM Owner Experiment | Experiment finished!

Sunderland - Write Up New

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sunderland

Sunderland only won the 4 trophies in the experiment but they probably also had the lowest dips. They were pretty much always there or thereabouts.@altodevil made sure of this by scouring the entire database between seasons in case there was a hidden Djoubiti youth player who had more than 5 caps, a pass completion ratio of above 95% and a field tilt of 70%. The instructions came fast, like a President walking down a corridor who just needed pure data, stat!

Eventually this eased and alto fell into a rhythm of what he searched for. I actually saved the parameters of top 5 leagues, under 27, etc.. as 'Alto Search' because it was so refined (and also it took ages to manually add all 5 leagues each time). Once he learned the experiment was ending, he completely abandoned this, and almost the entire Sunderland team, because he asked me how much he'd get if he sold the entire first team squad. After I spent the time calculating it, he decided he didn't actually want all that fake money and signed a 19 year old instead.

Sesko was his first signing and proved to be one of his best. He blossomed into a quality player and helped them win their first PL. In recent seasons the purchases of Modio and Cande have also been inspired. Though they have been very fortunate with the AI signings. Wilbur has very high potential and the same with Beldarrain. Kroupi also was fantastic for them. Griffiths through the academy was looking great too, and that's a product of putting money into it. Unfortunately it started bearing fruit for all of you towards the back end of the exp.

Sunderland have lots of club legends. Some shitter than others. Alto is in there, of course. Sesko and Cande are the only ones to make it from the current players, so they're in esteemed company alongside Julio Arca.

Alto clearly went through the least managers of the whole experiment. Even this list is kind of false because I didn't notice RDZ was poached. Alto did elect to keep Tuchel though, before he eventually went back to RDZ. After selling his best two players in Yamal & Garnacho, he never looked back after hiring Xabi Alonso.

Some records! Wilbur ended up breaking the record for most goals in a season. Garnacho is their their highest avg rating, and Yamal and Seimen are on there too. I'm surprised no records for most goals in a game or fastest goals got broken in these 15 years.

Beldarrain is their highest AI signing and the sale of Garnacho brought them in the most money.

Finally the best XI of the exp. The best XI says feck your 5-3-2 you've been playing for nearly 8 years.

Seimen in goal, of course. I didn't actually think he'd do that well when alto picked him, but he lasted, and even took crucial penalties for them back when games seemed to constantly be going to shootouts.

Vlatkovic the youth wonderkid and Parente are at full-back. Charlier and Scrivener at CB. Charlier was a good pick up by alto.

Mainoo and Dimoski feel a bit random, but Mainoo got a testimonial and everything.

Cande deservedly there as he's been top since signing. Garnacho and Yamal had such an impact that they're still on here despite being gone since 2030.

Kroupi up top makes sense I guess. But you could've had Sesko or even Wilbur but it's probably too soon for him to make this.

Honourable mentions to Gray, Harris (of " Who the fook is nick harris " fame) and Leo.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done @altodevil

Derby up next.

Reactions: BenitoSTARR
Derby - Write Up New

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Derby

Ah Derby. If seb and BD were like two figure skaters in tandem, @The Cat and @BenitoSTARR were like two bulls destroying a china shop, but in a sort of beautiful way.

The boys went big on youth. Gambling that all these young players would spring to life at the same time and make them unbeatable, but it never really panned out that way. So much hope was placed at the feet of little 16 year old Estevao that he could only fail in their eyes. Mikey Moore lived up to that hype much more though, and after some older, more solid signings like Al-Houti, Darvich and Diomande they eventually found their feet in the PL.

It wasn't enough for them though. You've already seen the constant cries for Endrick. Despite being a full 30 CA away from him at one point. They did sell a paperclip all the way up to a house though and took that final step by essentially bankrupting themselves to buy Jude Bellingham. They went all in. Endrick finally arrived and with him came a CL and a PL. So it was worth it in the end!

A frankly absurd amount of legends and icons but rest assured there's nobody important in the favoured personnel.

The Cat and Benito are Derby heroes, of course. Mikey Moore also becomes a legend of the club. Darvich, Pep, Pedri, Mustafi and even Yamal make the Icons list.

Derby only really had 5 managers overall. We don't speak about those 14 days Ryan Mason broke into the office and started squatting. Or when Will Still did a copycat crime but pussied out 2 days earlier than Mason managed.

Pep is easily their most successful manager, shocker that they needed to give him Bellingdrick to actually win stuff. Silver spooned feck. He got poached at the end but look how I learned! Only 12 days before I re-instated him. Yes that's long enough for a Will Still but we reinforced the windows this time.

Your records! They kind of speak for themselves really so not much to say.

A fastest goal though! I have no idea who John-Jules is but he broke the record for you. 11 seconds.

Mustafi absolutely smashed the season before last for you. 7.83 is top.

And then your best XI of the exp.

Feels like it's been done by Garth Crooks. Darvich in midfield?

Stankovic the AI signing gets in ahead of Urbig, who seemed to constantly be part of this experiment in some shape or form.

Al-Houti is pushed to RB instead of someone like Brulmans. I have no idea who Cashin is. Diomande a cert and Munganga too.

WZE and Bellingham pick themselves. Yamal a surprise considering he only signed towards the end. Mikey Moore is inevitable.

Moukoko up front is a mystery to all of us. He never scored more than 12 goals in the Prem for Derby, but I guess he kind of did a Martial and just hung around until you realised he was still there and fecked him off.

Hardy and Ferguson also just don't make the cut, probably scorned by the fact that you sold them off.

--------------------------------------------------

And that's a wrap on Derby. Good stuff @The Cat & @BenitoSTARR

Bolton finally to finish up.

Reactions: BenitoSTARR
Bolton - Write Up New

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Bolton

Look at that sweet post-League One trajectory. Absolute dreamland until the realities of the PL kicked in.

Bolton and @SilentWitness started off slowly. They were the lowest ranked team (and thus ordered that way on my spreadsheet for most of the exp) and SW spent will within his means for the first few seasons. Remember the likes of Helder Costa? Gonzalo Plata? Who could forget the Folarin Balogun years. After a short period in the Champo, Bolton eventually made the PL, where their signings gradually got bigger and bigger.

SW was an extremely efficient participant to PM with. Often with his lists or even his transfer target/entire summer plans already decided within 10 minutes of a season ending. After the chaotic DMs of Derby and Sunderland, it was like leaving a chaotic job and going home to a nicely cooked meal waiting for me on the table. Towards the back end of the experiment, @simonhch expressed interest in joining, and he came on board as Bolton co-owner. Things started to slow down a bit from then on. They ended up having their own little side chat and on one occasion were the last team to make their decisions, which is frankly unacceptable.

But they did well together. If Bolton were a runner they'd be one of those ones that hangs behind the main pack before sprinting at the end. Bolton were the only club to end up winning a PL and CL double, and had back to back league titles by the time the experiment ended.

Paez has been captain since 2027 and is surely up there as one of the singings of the experiment. He's rightly a Bolton legend alsongside SW (sorry @simonhch I don't think I can add owners after the save has begun).

The thumb-headed once nemesis Vincent Kompany has also reached Icon status at Bolton. Kompany was basically the villain of the whole experiment, though he kind of had a redemption arc towards the end. SSL is a Bolton icon too, alongside the recently released from prison and Pl winning goal setter-upper Thierry Rodrigues. Regis Ngoma also deservedly an icon after his heroics. I'd stick Guehi in the legend category if I had my way too, after him popping up edge of the area in the CL final. In fact...

Better.

Who remembers the Ian Evatt era? No me neither.

Bolton had some pretty hard managerial flops over the experiment. Naismith did well for his level and I cannot remember if Van Bommel was crap but my instinct says yes. Poch was so-so, Tuchel the same. In fact they won nothing in between Steven Naismith and Kompany. Look at that barren wasteland. What the feck was that Carpini decision @SilentWitness?

"Activate Fonseca", "Activate Tuchel". SW eventually started barking orders like I was triggering sleeper agents. Kompany was the one though. Once he was in range Bolton never let him go, and he duly delivered.

SSL and Paez making their impact in the records.

Apparently Bolton had never scored 3 goals in a match before because that record got broken by some Serb in 2028.

Juric was their highest ever AI signing and looks worth the outlay. See, they know what they're doing when they aren't buying loads of 30yos who play in the same position!

And finally, the best XI for Bolton.

Greek (Peruvian) God Dyonatas between the sticks.

Dorgu (who was a solid buy) at LB and Livra at RB. Too early for the recently signed Sherwood to get in there.

Yoro was an ever-present for them and deservedly in there. Ngoma too had a massive impact in the 4 season he had.

Pavlovic I think also deserved. Guy got a mad amount of assists from DM in his time at Bolton. Bernal also very good for them.

Kendry, the love of SW's life, at LW. For sure.

Soares was actually an excellent AI signing and became one of Bolton's best players.

Wanner at RW, a super signing from the owners.

SSL up front. A goal and assist monster.

Honourable mentions to Nathan Baxter and Liam Delap, who carried Bolton when nobody else would.

-------------------------------------------

And that's that! Hope you enjoyed.

Any more things you wanna know, let me know!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Oh also, in terms of managers:

Hans Hateboer had very high potential and I was surprised nobody went for him. He basically never got sacked and was always slowly moving up in the managerial world. He went from Birmingham > Union Berlin > Lens > Inter and then Newcastle.

Tagliafico was also very highly rated. Pau Torres too has 195 PA and manages Leverkusen. Brozovic was also an early one that looked like he'd be class but his stint at Liverpool didn't work out and now he's at Stuttgart.

A few others you could've plucked for. Varane, Vardy, Pavard or if you noticed Forest were quite good in the final few seasons. It's because Jerry St Juste managed them and his potential is mad. He's at Inter at the end of the exp.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also, @simonhch has expressed an interest in continuing the experiment, but I said it depends how you all feel about playing on, especially given your actions in the last few seasons were geared towards it ending (selling youth teams, buying older players, etc...) and also I guess me spoiling half of the manager/player ca/pas.

There's also the option for him to start a new one, or carry this on if he wants. I'll leave it up to you.

I can also send the save file to anyone if they want to sim it 10 years into the future.

C'est fini.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Brilliant write ups, thank you for this experiment! really good fun.

The Carpini switch was basically a give it Giggsy to the end of the season type role. We had enough money with the experiment possibly ending soon that it was worth taking a punt and then restarting in the summer. Thankfully Kompany became available and the rest was history. :cool:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Also, @simonhch has expressed an interest in continuing the experiment, but I said it depends how you all feel about playing on, especially given your actions in the last few seasons were geared towards it ending (selling youth teams, buying older players, etc...) and also I guess me spoiling half of the manager/player ca/pas.

There's also the option for him to start a new one, or carry this on if he wants. I'll leave it up to you.

I can also send the save file to anyone if they want to sim it 10 years into the future.

C'est fini.
If you send me the file I should be able to do a write up for a sim one year, five years and ten years tonight.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Oh also, in terms of managers:

Hans Hateboer had very high potential and I was surprised nobody went for him. He basically never got sacked and was always slowly moving up in the managerial world. He went from Birmingham > Union Berlin > Lens > Inter and then Newcastle.

Tagliafico was also very highly rated. Pau Torres too has 195 PA and manages Leverkusen. Brozovic was also an early one that looked like he'd be class but his stint at Liverpool didn't work out and now he's at Stuttgart.

A few others you could've plucked for. Varane, Vardy, Pavard or if you noticed Forest were quite good in the final few seasons. It's because Jerry St Juste managed them and his potential is mad. He's at Inter at the end of the exp.
- More sensible Klopp, Enrique
- Left field but could work Coudet
- Risky but interesting Amorim
- chat shit get banged Vardy
- Either ends well or on fire Conte
Hoeneß and Hateboer (who seems to be doing well at Newcastle tbf) might actually make use of the AM we bought last summer. They both have styles of play that I don't think we've used.
I know gengenpress used to be a bit OP in the last few versions.
Not entirely sure he's a good enough reason to go that way but options no doubt.
The report on Hoeneß's style of play was a bit lacking but he does seem to have won 4 out of the last 5 Serie A titles and made the last 4 CL QFs only being knocked out by caf boosted teams. That's pretty impressive.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
If you send me the file I should be able to do a write up for a sim one year, five years and ten years tonight.
This would be ideal, no more interaction would be for the best.

Thanks again Solius. Time for @nimic to work overtime.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No prob! Glad everyone enjoyed.

Maybe in the future I'll do another but with create a clubs.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
After one year...

Sheffield United

Sunderland

Derby

Bolton

We had another season where all trophies were won by Caf teams and all trophies had two Caf teams in the final!

First up...the Carabao Cup. Sunderland and Sheffield United made it to the final.

A solid 2-1 victory for Sheffield United in the end. After going 1-0 down they made their possession count and were victorious.

The PL title chase was slightly different as Chelsea were one of the challengers. Despite this, the top 5 consisted of all Caf teams and Chelsea. Could Bolton make it three in a row or would another team overcome them?

He is inevitable. :cool: Also look at Liverpool! Administration and relegation. Another easter egg is that the Chelsea Keeper is called Cristiano Ronaldo. :lol:

The next domestic cup was the FA Cup. Bolton and Derby made it to the final. Could Bolton finally get their hands on the trophy that's eluded them for so long?

...no. :( Derby win on penalties after Bolton went 1-0 up within the first minute!

Last but not least, the CL Final. Bolton once again made it to the final and were joined by Sheffield United. Could they go back to back like they did in the PL or would the SU boys spoil the celebrations?

He did it! They got over their penalty disappointment in the FA Cup and did the back to back double. So close to doing a treble too. Kompany is broken.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Kompany OP

Ooh Derby signed Guido Lemmens. Top talent. Alvaro to Bolton too.

sebsheep

Bit confused by our spending as well. Is Hoeneß okay? He loved splashing the cash last season.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Thank you for everything @Solius

Amazing experiment! The final write ups were superb. Thank you for all the effort involved.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
@SilentWitness

We really killed it with Kompany! What an appointment. 3 in a row in the league and back to back PL/CL doubles. A penalty shootout away from a treble!

I also noticed the Alvaro signing. We definitely got the better one in SSL, who has been one of the signings of the experiment. But hilarious to see them now paired. Just need him to sign Djalo now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
After Five Years...

Sheffield United

No manager update. Why? You kept your boy throughout.

Sunderland

Amusingly Sunderland went back to De Zerbi and he was sacked within 6 months. They then hired Torres who Solius mentioned was highly rated but he's now been sacked and they're looking for a new manager.

Derby

Derby, after hiring Will Still earlier in the experiment, ended up hiring his brother in an interim role. They then hired an AI manager who was sacked and now have former Ajax left back Tagliafico in the hot seat.

Bolton

The dreaded day of Bolton sacking or Kompany leaving arrived. After 6 years he left. From what I can see they finished in 6th that year so it must have been a really poor start. They then hired Derby sloppy seconds with Pep but he was poor too. Georges Poke is an AI manager.

PL Winners

Bolton and Kompany did five in a row but it's now crashing hard. Chelsea are now the side to beat and are strong in all competitions. No other Caf side has won the title since.

CL Winners

They also managed to do the CL three times in a row! Kompany is unreal. Derby picked up another CL in the year after but the Caf sides have struggled since.

FA Cup Winners

Bolton finally get an FA Cup and Sunderland show they can still win trophies by picking up the trophy this season.

Carabao Cup Winners

Sunderland and SU pick up one trophy each but the domestic emergence of Chelsea shows.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think we are now starting to see how no interference is having an impact on each respective club. Simming now to 2048 and will do a final update.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Bolton…..

PL/CL double three years in a row :lol:

5 PL titles in a row…..

Now that the experiment has moved on far enough from the influence of our appointments and signings, they are sinking to their true level.

Just shows how brilliant we were as owners.

sebsheep

This isn't realistic at all, we'd have been through at least 2 managers by now.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Bolton…..

PL/CL double three years in a row :lol:

5 PL titles in a row…..

Now that the experiment has moved on far enough from the influence of our appointments and signings, they are sinking to their true level.

Just shows how brilliant we were as owners.
Easy to be cocky with 500 billion.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Easy to be cocky with 500 billion.
Not sure I get that one :lol: sorry.

All I know is that we started with the worst team, and ended up with the greatest legacy.

More interestingly, it’s a testament to how bad the Holland France game is, that we are posting in here while it’s still going on.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That Bolton era :lol:
Quite something. Now I'm looking at the 10 year stuff, I think the problem might be that players who were transfer locked either just weren't retiring/work permit issue again. :lol: If we were able to intervene and sell people it would probably go a wee bit differently and I think the latter years are hindered by not being able to.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Before I upload...one of the caf teams has come back with a bang after a few years with the caf teams in the dirt...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Quite something. Now I'm looking at the 10 year stuff, I think the problem might be that players who were transfer locked either just weren't retiring/work permit issue again. :lol: If we were able to intervene and sell people it would probably go a wee bit differently and I think the latter years are hindered by not being able to.
yeah I probably should have removed all the future transfers before sending the save over.