FC Girondins de Bordeaux folded due to financial issues

Jesus this is bad, what happened to them?

Sad news indeed. Sounds like they'll be able to wipe the debt and start again in the third tier though ? So can rebuild, ideally a new competent owner should come as well.

Kind of mad that they only need to drop one league though. Surely they should be starting from the very bottom.

Feck them.
Best advice that I got from my parents was "don't spend money which you don't have".
Don't fell sorry for any team who goes bankrupt because of stupidity.

Feck them.
Best advice that I got from my parents was "don't spend money which you don't have".
Was that really the best advice they gave you? Weirdos

Feck them.

They were taken over by lousy ownership who didn't know what they were doing and proceeded to run them into the ground post COVID whilst the tv deal that would have balanced the books went up in smoke. I think the advice you should have listened to would have been along the lines of don't comment on things you don't understand.

What about their fans?
When my local basketball club, got folded for financial reasons (something like Rangers) we still suported them and arena was always was full.
They will likely resurface under another name but they still will be "local club".
I fell more sorry for fans of clubs who suffer under cheat teams.

Surprised that France only has 2 professional divisions, or is that just tradtionally and a naming convention?

The same sort of thing as England having non-league teams playing in leagues, named because they weren't a part of the Football League organisation? Professional too these days in the Conference/National League when at one time they weren't.

On the other hand, when that news came through that French football was struggling with TV deals I did start to question exactly how popular it was there. Looking at past attendances Ligue 1 was only averaging 12k fans in the mid 90s. Much better now, just about on par with Serie A but maybe infrastrcuture hasn't filtered down and the pyramid of pro teams is actually on the shallow side?

Not as famous as Bordeaux, I saw Sochaux have gone through something similar in recent years. 2 French titles, 2 French Cups and a League Cup. They were in Europe as recently as 2011/12.

Last edited:
One of them was CEO of Uni Credit Bank in Bosnia. I wouldn't call them weirdos. If people listen to people who have money less of them would be broke.

Yes, the rich, that's who we should listen to, they know what's best for us.

If they didn't believe in spending money one didn't have they didn't exactly take employment to match their principles.

Surprised that France only has 2 professional divisions, or is that just tradtionally and a naming convention?

The same sort of thing as England having non-league teams playing in leagues, named because they weren't a part of the Football League organisation? Professional too these days in the Conference/National League when at one time they weren't.

On the other hand, when that news came through that French football was struggling with TV deals I did start to question exactly how popular it was there. Looking at past attendances Ligue 1 was only averaging 12k fans in the mid 90s. Much better now, just about on par with Serie A but maybe infrastrcuture hasn't filtered down and the pyramid of pro teams is actually on the shallow side?

Not as famous as Bordeaux, I saw Sochaux have gone through something similar in recent years. 2 French titles, 2 French Cups and a League Cup. They were in Europe as recently as 2011/12.

There's pro teams in National 1, 9 starting last season, it seems.

For TV rights I don't have the exact timeline but after years of abundance, the TV deals got a little botched, especially one where the bid winner actually didn't have the financial means to honour it. A general sentiment I have is that they change the broadcasters too often. For years you could get most of it through Canal+ then BeInSports but recently it seems every other 2-3 years the tranches are being scattered to new winds. I know it's true for most sports in 2024 (see the Olympics coverage in many countries split between a public network and a private one on demand) but it doesn't help.

There's pro teams in National 1, 9 starting last season, it seems.

For TV rights I don't have the exact timeline but after years of abundance, the TV deals got a little botched, especially one where the bid winner actually didn't have the financial means to honour it. A general sentiment I have is that they change the broadcasters too often. For years you could get most of it through Canal+ then BeInSports but recently it seems every other 2-3 years the tranches are being scattered to new winds. I know it's true for most sports in 2024 (see the Olympics coverage in many countries split between a public network and a private one on demand) but it doesn't help.

Cheers for that, it confused be a bit with the news that Bordeaux were giving up their professional license. Sounds like it's just an issue of paperwork or legal status and there's actually nothing stopping them being pro then.

Managed to find some attendances for last year, so definitely enough fans to be a pro team down there for some of clubs. Socahux and Nancy were pulling around 10k, then a gap to Le Mans and Dijon on 5k. They could all easily be pro. There were 4 clubs with fewer than 1000 at their home games and 1 with just 264. Guess it really drops off in the 4th tier.

I hope they can get a solid and stable TV deal in the future, it's better for the footbal landscape if there's more strong leagues around and it comes down to money in the end. Looking back at past European competition results before all the big TV deals were to be had, and pre-Bosman it was good that Portuguese, Dutch, Scottish, Romanian clubs etc. could sometimes do very well. That's all gone now, but 5 strong leagues is better than 4!

Cheers for that, it confused be a bit with the news that Bordeaux were giving up their professional license. Sounds like it's just an issue of paperwork or legal status and there's actually nothing stopping them being pro then.

Managed to find some attendances for last year, so definitely enough fans to be a pro team down there for some of clubs. Socahux and Nancy were pulling around 10k, then a gap to Le Mans and Dijon on 5k. They could all easily be pro. There were 4 clubs with fewer than 1000 at their home games and 1 with just 264. Guess it really drops off in the 4th tier.

I hope they can get a solid and stable TV deal in the future, it's better for the footbal landscape if there's more strong leagues around and it comes down to money in the end. Looking back at past European competition results before all the big TV deals were to be had, and pre-Bosman it was good that Portuguese, Dutch, Scottish, Romanian clubs etc. could sometimes do very well. That's all gone now, but 5 strong leagues is better than 4!

Le Mans, Sochaux, Nancy and Dijon are all pro clubs but the first two has had issues similar to Bordeaux in the not distant past (Le Mans in 2013). The other pro clubs in N1 are Red Star, Niort, Orléans, Nîmes, Châteauroux.

N2 has 64 clubs, including 13 B teams of the top pro clubs.

Apparently there's talks to possibly transform National 1 into a Ligue 3. As it stands, National 1 clubs are not part of the revenue sharing of TV rights.

Sent to National 2, but the club is essentially in bankruptcy and can try to work out a plan to clean up its accounts and continue. Which actually might be a bit of a cursed blessing, since their incompetent owner is still there.

Sent to National 2, but the club is essentially in bankruptcy and can try to work out a plan to clean up its accounts and continue. Which actually might be a bit of a cursed blessing, since their incompetent owner is still there.

Must be causing chaos for the fixture lists! I see it's split into 3 groups in National 2, have they decided which one they'll be in and does that mean another team gets moved to National 1?

Must be causing chaos for the fixture lists! I see it's split into 3 groups in National 2, have they decided which one they'll be in and does that mean another team gets moved to National 1?

Niort (in N1) was also banned from "national competitions". I think authorities will rather save 2 clubs from relegation especially since there was 6 this year (with L2 going to 18 teams).
I don't know if they decided which of the 3 groups they'll be in.

Just checked in on them. The French domestic leagues kicked off this past weekend with Bordeaux nowhere to be seen.

Apparently they were appealing to be relegated only to to the 3rd tier but lost their hearing, confirming they'll be playing in the 4th tier in a statement they released on their website last week. I don't know if they even have a squad as of now and they will have to catch up their games whenever they start.

0veEjVA.png

Just checked in on them. The French domestic leagues kicked off this past weekend with Bordeaux nowhere to be seen.

Apparently they were appealing to be relegated only to to the 3rd tier but lost their hearing, confirming they'll be playing in the 4th tier in a statement they released on their website last week. I don't know if they even have a squad as of now and they will have to catch up their games whenever they start.

0veEjVA.png

Apparently there's no more pro players under contract nor academy players. They have to align a first squad, a reserve squad + 2 youth teams (they plan on U18 and U15). They need to sort out the first team/reserve fast because otherwise they could just be liquidated if they can't field the minimum requirements for National 2.

If anyone interested in a pro contract, send them an email. Now's your chance

If anyone interested in a pro contract, send them an email. Now's your chance
Dear sir/madam,

I am 35 and slightly overweight but I've got heart. I used to be fast in my teens and I am still a passable finisher. I'll play anywhere except keeper. I believe I am exactly what you need and look forward to hearing from you.

Bonne chance.

Dear sir/madam,

I am 35 and slightly overweight but I've got heart. I used to be fast in my teens and I am still a passable finisher. I'll play anywhere except keeper. I believe I am exactly what you need and look forward to hearing from you.

Bonne chance.
I’ll send mine to United:

Dear Ezza,

I am 50+, markedly overweight, and haven’t got much of a heart. I didn’t fast much in my teens but have been known to finish a six-pac and a mac-n-cheese during passover.

I don’t like to be hit by the ball, but keeper is probably my most natural position. I believe it is what it is, but am anxiously looking forward to hearing from you.

PS. You should know that I have some footage you don’t want to see bandied about. I will respectfully keep it locked away in a safe, in light of our forthcoming agreement. It’s a copy of the Man Utd season review 23/24 on VHS btw. DS.

Would actually be a really fun idea if you were an older player without a club to go and join them. Nice looking city, free wine and you'd make yourself a cult hero. They won't pay much if at all, but who cares if you're a multimillionaire?

Some of these old gits could sign up, looking at you Mata!

I don't remember the reason but it was played with no tickets sold to audiences.

Also the recruitment process is a little... Hectic. Featuring Dado Prso and the current coach.

"He's Senegalese. He was supposed to go to Cyprus... But he didn't go."
"Look last year he didn't score. He made one bench appearance."
Literally just shooting names you heard about and checking whatever you find on YT and stats at 10pm from your car.

Do they still have the same owner? Surprised someone didn't buy them super cheap, better long term bet than the likes of Wrexham I'd think...

Do they still have the same owner? Surprised someone didn't buy them super cheap, better long term bet than the likes of Wrexham I'd think...
So far, Gérard Lopez is still involved.
It's still unfolding : The feminine team was excluded from all competitions and could disappear (were in the Women's CL in 21-22) outright. City hall would rather not the club be liquidated but it's on the table.

The problem is all the debt. They probably need to somehow oust Lopez if they want to save anything from this.