FC Girondins de Bordeaux folded due to financial issues

That's sad, they were a big club in France too at one point. Can't imagine how devastated their fans must be.

will have a glass of red for them. english of course. none of that bordeaux muck.

That's a massive shame. Scorers of maybe the sexiest goal of all time.

Always thought their kits with the dark blue and white chevron were cool as feck as well.

Bordeaux is a beautiful place to go as well in the south of France, such a shame

Absolutely, I was there just over a month ago. It's a beautiful, bustling, modern city. It's crazy to think the main club from a place like that can be in such dire straits.

Is this kind of thing going to occur to more big clubs in light of Ligue 1 struggling to find a buyer for their Ligue 1 and 2 TV rights?
It could conceivably happen to LOTS of clubs. I have been surprised that no Spanish clubs have gone this route yet, but it could be coming.

My guess with the FSG thing is Bordeaux had accumulated debts from things that didn’t count towards FFP calculations like facilities. The cost of taking on the team was probably just too great. I think Clearlake considered them briefly before going with Strassbourg.

Terribly sad news. Big historic club that played some great football some years back. Epic mismanagement by King street.

American investment fund ownership of football clubs is a cancer

Football is so awash with money but the pyramid is so top heavy. Some financial mismanagement going on but it’s also a damming indictment of the current football financial structure. Too big and historic of a club to end up like this.

Football is so awash with money but the pyramid is so top heavy. Some financial mismanagement going on but it’s also a damming indictment of the current football financial structure. Too big and historic of a club to end up like this.

Well it's England heavy really.

Any club in the top 10 of the Premier League could buy a player for the amount that would save Bordeaux if they really wanted too. To be honest most could do so then never even start them and just think of it as an annoying thing to be bantered by other clubs fans for.

22k attendance on average that suddenly don’t have a club

Very sad

Well it's England heavy really.

Any club in the top 10 of the Premier League could buy a player for the amount that would save Bordeaux if they really wanted too. To be honest most could do so then never even start them and just think of it as an annoying thing to be bantered by other clubs fans for.
Yep.

PSG paid Mbappe more than double what it would take to clear all Bordeaux’s debts, just to stay for two more seasons. Double. For two years. On one player that left for free anyway.

United bought Antony for about the same money it would take to clear Boardeaux’s books of debt.

They’ve gone to semi pro status and already closed the training facility I’m not sure how long they can maintain a stadium

They don't own the stadium the city of Bordeaux do.

They may need to be a bit more flexible as it's a destination city who may want to hold some concerts or whatever in it but there is no reason they won't let the city's football team with a lot of fans and good history keep playing there.

Always sad to see a club demoted or folded, especially when finances are at the heart of it. Hopefully they’ll return to the top one day.

Sure I remember OGS banging in a cracking half volley to help us beat them 2-0 in the CL around 2000ish.

And the Premier League has clubs filing lawsuits against FFP ....
FFP wouldn’t stop this. You could go into unrecoverable debt from infrastructure costs and other things and stil technically meet FFP on paper. FFP was never designed to “save” clubs. They called it an “anti money doping” provision when it first came out… then later changed the stated goal when it became obvious that its purpose was to prevent specific teams from spending as much on players as they were.

A team like City could go out and spend a cool billion on cryo machines and stuff tomorrow… wouldn’t affect their PSR one iota.

Conversely, teams like Bourdeux could accrue administrative and infrastructure debt that becomes too much to overcome without it ever triggering an alarm.

BUT: Bourdeux is a rightfully revered name in French football. If the wonderful PSR didn’t exist to shackle someone from immediately investing in bringing the team back … someone like FSG would have bought them, and they would be on their way back.

FFP wouldn’t stop this. You could go into unrecoverable debt from infrastructure costs and other things and stil technically meet FFP on paper. FFP was never designed to “save” clubs. They called it an “anti money doping” provision when it first came out… then later changed the stated goal when it became obvious that its purpose was to prevent specific teams from spending as much on players as they were.

A team like City could go out and spend a cool billion on cryo machines and stuff tomorrow… wouldn’t affect their PSR one iota.

Conversely, teams like Bourdeux could accrue administrative and infrastructure debt that becomes too much to overcome without it ever triggering an alarm.

BUT: Bourdeux is a rightfully revered name in French football. If the wonderful PSR didn’t exist to shackle someone from immediately investing in bringing the team back … someone like FSG would have bought them, and they would be on their way back.

That's not my point. My point is - if clubs like City, Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool etc are allowed to spend whatever they want (and some of them want to spend A LOT) - there will be clubs who can't compete. But in order to still try to compete with the clubs who are super-rich, they will stretch their spending and will go out of business.

Incredibly upset by this. I used to live in Bordeaux and have fond memories of going to see them play at Chaban-Delmas: they were building Matmut while I lived there. Saw them play in the Europa League and was living there when they won their last trophy.

That's sad. Such a shame, didn't they just miss coming back up too?
Yes, the 2022-23 season. Had just gone down the year before. Finished third, 3 points behind Metz in 2nd. Had it in our (I’m going to speak in the first person here because feck it the club doesn’t even exist professionally anymore) hands but lost 1-0 away to awful Annecy despite dominating on the penultimate match of the season, then had our last game against also shite Rodez called off at 1-0 down because of some really idiotic crowd trouble. Even a draw against Annecy would have meant a win would have sent us up against Rodez but the loss meant we needed to win by 4 or 5 goals I think.

The really sad part is any other year third place would have been enough for promotion or at least a relegation/promotion playoff, but that was the year Ligue 1 was to be switched to 18 teams (I think the goal was to help French teams compete in Europe) so 4 went down and 2 went up.

Perhaps @Paul the Wolf or @JPRouve can correct me but if memory serves correct the move to the Mediapro tv deal a few years ago and its subsequent collapse was a horrific blow to Bordeaux: the DAZN reduced offer for this coming season is worrying for a number of clubs I imagine.

Of course Lopez should never be allowed into a football stadium again never mind own a club

That's a massive shame. Scorers of maybe the sexiest goal of all time.

Always thought their kits with the dark blue and white chevron were cool as feck as well.

Alyways the first goal I think of when I hear the name Girondins de Bordeaux. Peak Zidane energy. Such a shame Gourcuff sort of disappeared after that. He's one of those "what ever happened to xxx" players.

That’s very sad. :(

Zidane, Gourcuff, Lizarazu, Dugarry, Ramé, Tigana, Micoud… so many wonderful players have played for them.
Please don't forget Alain Giresse!

It really is insane and sad to see this iconic club just vanish. Esp considering they won the French top league as recently as in 2009. That is more recently than Arsenal have won EPL, may we point out?

It seems like Americans bought it in 2018 and ruined it, blaming pandemic. After which some french asshole businessman, who also owns Boavista, bought it for scraps, but failed spectacularly to turn it around

Very disappointing

Perhaps @Paul the Wolf or @JPRouve can correct me but if memory serves correct the move to the Mediapro tv deal a few years ago and its subsequent collapse was a horrific blow to Bordeaux: the DAZN reduced offer for this coming season is worrying for a number of clubs I imagine.

Of course Lopez should never be allowed into a football stadium again never mind own a club

No Bordeaux were owned and subsidized by M6 for decades, M6 made it work financially but didn't really build a strong structure, they then decided to sell the club in 2018 to King Street who were useless in terms of management and also failed to support the club financially, they eventually tried to file for bankruptcy before selling to Gerard Lopez who is every bit as useless as King Street, at the time they were in the exact same situation. And while the TV deal and Covid didn't help, it's not the core reason.

Also most clubs are breaking even, the ones that were far from it last season happen to be the ones with the wealthier owners.

Will they make some kind of restart in the lowest league? This is what happened to some clubs in NL who went bankrupt, like RBC Roosendaal.. Im far from a financial expert, so no crue under what circumstances such a thing is possible and whether the French financial/football structure allows it at all..

Will they make some kind of restart in the lowest league? This is what happened to some clubs in NL who went bankrupt, like RBC Roosendaal.. Im far from a financial expert, so no crue under what circumstances such a thing is possible and whether the French financial/football structure allows it at all..

They didn't go bankrupt yet. Currently they decided to give up their professional status and for that reason will be relegated to the first semi professional division, National 1. But they have an hearing next week, where the DNCG will decide whether the club will be liquidated in which case either the club is gone or they have to start at best from National 3, like the RC Strasbourg did in 2011.

The threat of relegation has been around for a couple of years. The tweet is still valid.

Maybe they should have not backed down from an agreed deal with Roma when Barca offered more at the last minute.

Back in 2018, Malcom was one of the hottest prospects on the market after a successful season at Bordeaux.

Everything indicated that the Brazilian would join AS Roma after the Italians agreed on a deal with his club. However, Barcelona intervened as Malcom was about to board his plane to Italy and brought him to Camp Nou instead in a move worth €41m plus add-ons.

More on Tribuna.com:
https://tribuna.com/en/news/fcbarce...lion-hes-now-russian-explain/?utm_source=copy

Maybe they should have not backed down from an agreed deal with Roma when Barca offered more at the last minute.

Maybe, but I guess you have to trust one of the biggest clubs in the world to pay what they owe them.

Maybe, but I guess you have to trust one of the biggest clubs in the world to pay what they owe them.
Does anyone know if Barca failed to pay them or if this simply the agreed upon payment structure? Maybe the last payment was always going to be in 2025?