Fantasy Premier League 22/23

This whole Ward-Iversen thing was a trap. Had to use my FT to get rid of Iversen for Sanchez :(

At the very least I think Sanchez is a long term hold. I think Brighton are finally living up to their underlying stats.

This whole Ward-Iversen thing was a trap. Had to use my FT to get rid of Iversen for Sanchez :(

At the very least I think Sanchez is a long term hold. I think Brighton are finally living up to their underlying stats.
I think it turned out exactly as expected. Cheap keepers and one will play and no one expected them to get many points with the Leicester defense being so shit.

I think it turned out exactly as expected. Cheap keepers and one will play and no one expected them to get many points with the Leicester defense being so shit.
It's actually down to the cuntface on the sideline who keeps throwing away leads for fun. Absolutely mad substitutions.

FPL + social media = loads of “must haves”…. an £8m MF option (otherwise you’re buggered from GW1), lots of high priced defenders, two Leicester GKs, etc.

Sometimes they’re ok, sometimes not, you have to listen then apply your own sense check and stick to your gut feeling.

I just thought that for £0.5m more, I had a few good options that would likely give me reasonable points vs average GKs in a poor team with a shite manager and not great fixtures in first five weeks. I wanted a team that I could broadly leave until GW7 when fixtures change for bigger clubs and WC seems sensible… the Leicester fixtures weren’t good.

Sounds a bit misleading for someone who scored his first goal in about 8 months time. :lol:

Alternatively, he's 1 goal in 1 game.

Would be ridiculous to take him out after scoring, when we play Southampton next.
If he's a bust there, out next week, which is only a midweek to wait.

FPL + social media = loads of “must haves”…. an £8m MF option (otherwise you’re buggered from GW1), lots of high priced defenders, two Leicester GKs, etc.

Sometimes they’re ok, sometimes not, you have to listen then apply your own sense check and stick to your gut feeling.

I just thought that for £0.5m more, I had a few good options that would likely give me reasonable points vs average GKs in a poor team with a shite manager and not great fixtures in first five weeks. I wanted a team that I could broadly leave until GW7 when fixtures change for bigger clubs and WC seems sensible… the Leicester fixtures weren’t good.

In fairness, they did have Brentford and Southampton homes in there. Brentford aren't anywhere near as good as that 4-0 smashfest against us would suggest.
And we hoped for save points in the other games.

It didn't work though, so we move on sharpish!

Salah home to Bournemouth is a difficult one to look past.
It’ll be a close call between him and Jesus, all the way up to the deadline for sure. Salah’s record at home to newly promoted sides is definitely difficult to look past, but Jesus could easily score a hat trick tomorrow such is his and Arsenal’s form.

The reason I bring in that comparison (and you can include Jota at 8m as well) is because already within 1 GW that was the question that a lot of people with big at the back were asking, that should they drop a premium def especially Robertson to free up a Liverpool spot to get Darwin because that's the most direct route anyone with big at the back will have to get a third striker in that bracket. Yeah it will need a little adjustment elsewhere but that's a rather direct move. Even more close in the case of Jota, and actually cheaper in case of Toney. This question will likely be asked again once they are back, or once multiple 8m mids start returning. It's essentially the choice that you need to make.

Yeah I agree with your point for the most part. Diaz vs Robbo was the biggest dilemma for plenty at the start so him/Jota is the most relevant example for a direct change. Just think Darwins price difference is too much and would require 3 or 4 transfers, so can't really be compared.

I absolutely don't disagree with going back at the back being a great strategy to start this season. The options were clearly reliable as well as underpriced for the most part as you say, but I'd say the idea for most was to wait and see which attackers emerge and slowly start dropping one or two of those big defenders and moving to the attackers which is what is happening now (and that's when Darwin got sent off, who would have been the biggest breaker of big at the back). So it will still be keeping the likes of Trent/Cancelo/James (probably 2 max) and loading the rest with attackers which is more at par with how FPL generally goes.

Yup agreed. Plenty are going down that route now and no point arguing against it imo. Both methods are well balanced and it just comes down to who has the better picks - as it should be.

For the 5m defenders, hell yes they are underpriced and that's the case every year but that's not big at the back. We are talking about having at least 2 7m+ and 4 6m+ defenders which is what a lot were confident on being a season template, but it is possible it can turn back to the usual 343s and the like. The likes of Trippier, Saliba/Gabriel, Doherty/Perisic etc are still gonna be great value regardless and aren't exactly premium defenders.

When I said big at the back my definition is 5 defenders all starting. If your definition is purely the most expensive players it's not even possible to have a back 5 of 6m-7.5m right now (Cancelo-TAA-Robbo-James is all there is playing reguarly and outside that only Chilwell) - that's too narrow of a scope. I'd consider the likes of Perisic, Zinchenko, Cucrella as premium defenders as well. Obviously not that expensive overall, but they are relative to their position. No right or wrong answer here I suppose, just different interpretations!

Only narrative that I felt disagreeing with really was that there was no value in 7m+ attackers (strikers or mids) as compared to 6m+ defenders. And that was largely down to the let down of last season. Because otherwise pretty much every season has 7m+ strikers at least 2 or 3 of them firing at all points in a season and people just get them. All your DCLs, Ings and what not, that's what's happening with your Toneys, Mitros etc now. heck people wildcarding now are interested in Welbeck. :lol: You don't need much from strikers to get the bandwagons going, thats where the biggest loot in FPL always lies. Even last season is a clear indication with the whole Dennis/Broja bandwagons. Chelsea probably get Auba as well which will add another one.

Yeah that's bang on. The 6.5m - 7.5m attackers was always going to have value but just much harder to predict from the start, which is why most experts went against it I think (then the masses copy). And you're right that the gem attackers generally turn out to be the most essential due to their relative potential compared to defenders - just need to wait for the feckers to pop up! I'm still not trusting the likes of Rodrigo, Zaha, Toney enough to get them in yet anyway haha. Solid picks but I like my team too much on paper (Ederson, James, Cancelo, TAA, Zinchenko, Cucrella, Martinelli, Salah, Diaz, Jesus, Haaland).

It’ll be a close call between him and Jesus, all the way up to the deadline for sure. Salah’s record at home to newly promoted sides is definitely difficult to look past, but Jesus could easily score a hat trick tomorrow such is his and Arsenal’s form.

If I hadn't just been burnt by Jesus the other day, and watched Salah score despite barely being a threat i'd probably have 2 minds on this one.

Alternatively, he's 1 goal in 1 game.

Would be ridiculous to take him out after scoring, when we play Southampton next.
If he's a bust there, out next week, which is only a midweek to wait.
Yeah of course no rush to take him out as such, unless you feel to jump on Leeds/Brighton/etc who have good fixtures for the next few GWs.

I think for United I'm more concerned about rotation in the long term as we have quite a few options up front. Sancho is probably the only I feel certain about, rest can be in and out.

In fairness, they did have Brentford and Southampton homes in there. Brentford aren't anywhere near as good as that 4-0 smashfest against us would suggest.
And we hoped for save points in the other games.

It didn't work though, so we move on sharpish!
Yeah and I did pick a Leicester player... Maddison.

Reason being is I thought he/they might score. But I didn't consider any Leicester defenders/GKs regardless of price and social media FPL geniuses with shiny spreadsheets.

"I am not a number!!"

I'm still not trusting the likes of Rodrigo, Zaha, Toney enough to get them in yet anyway haha. Solid picks but I like my team too much on paper (Ederson, James, Cancelo, TAA, Zinchenko, Cucrella, Martinelli, Salah, Diaz, Jesus, Haaland)
Yeah I am always really skeptical about getting these purple patch players, but at the same time I've been burnt for missing these trains and a lot catch on to them. Lingard is the most obvious example, something that looked unsustainable but kept going. Even DCL a couple of seasons back under Ancelotti I think went crazy for like 9-10 GWs and people just kept thinking no way he's gonna keep going. Probably had a similar blind spot with Bamford. I am being a bit more open to these options especially given how the attacking standards of even the relegation contenders is going up every season. There are very few teams who are absolute duds in attack so there's value to be found there. I got Toney in for Darwin and got a decent return for it, and I think I will keep a couple of spots in my team open for the 'currently hot team' with the rest being pretty much all top 4. It's also more fun that way.

Reason being is I thought he/they might score. But I didn't consider any Leicester defenders/GKs regardless of price and social media FPL geniuses with shiny spreadsheets.
:lol: This is pretty much what FPL Twitter is basically right now. I enjoy tuning in to podcasts where people just discuss football in general especially the ones that do it in a fun way with a bit of FPL context mixed in, but there's an absolute plethora of basement dwellers putting together one spreadsheet after another, basically copy pasting understat or fbref or anything they get their hands on, same shit in different colors. You'd think the top data scientists in the world are creating FPL content right now.

Yeah I am always really skeptical about getting these purple patch players, but at the same time I've been burnt for missing these trains and a lot catch on to them. Lingard is the most obvious example, something that looked unsustainable but kept going. Even DCL a couple of seasons back under Ancelotti I think went crazy for like 9-10 GWs and people just kept thinking no way he's gonna keep going. Probably had a similar blind spot with Bamford. I am being a bit more open to these options especially given how the attacking standards of even the relegation contenders is going up every season. There are very few teams who are absolute duds in attack so there's value to be found there. I got Toney in for Darwin and got a decent return for it, and I think I will keep a couple of spots in my team open for the 'currently hot team' with the rest being pretty much all top 4. It's also more fun that way.

The ultimate purple patch was that Ramsay goal fest a few years ago, remember that?

One of my finest moments, as for some reason I got on him just before the start, and then watched the whole league panic and have to get him in over the next 10 weeks, when he was over a 1m more expensive.

Best ever moment, probably unbeatable, was having Rooney as captain v Hull in a midweeker one year.
I can't remember what the circumstances were, but not many in my league captained him.

I was at the game, and he scored a few very late on, and scored FOUR goals as captain.

That and waking up to see my Barkley had scored 2 late penalties because Lukaku had gone off on about 82 mins, are the stuff of fantasy footy dreams!

The ultimate purple patch was that Ramsay goal fest a few years ago, remember that?

One of my finest moments, as for some reason I got on him just before the start, and then watched the whole league panic and have to get him in over the next 10 weeks, when he was over a 1m more expensive.

Best ever moment, probably unbeatable, was having Rooney as captain v Hull in a midweeker one year.
I can't remember what the circumstances were, but not many in my league captained him.

I was at the game, and he scored a few very late on, and scored FOUR goals as captain.

That and waking up to see my Barkley had scored 2 late penalties because Lukaku had gone off on about 82 mins, are the stuff of fantasy footy dreams!
Yeah exactly! :lol:

Imagine thinking Ramsey will go on to score all those goals. Just happens and I think it's great both for the rank and for the fun to jump on these. Like last season some of my best moments were getting a random brace from Gallagher and stuff. :lol:

There's been a fair bit of humble bragging that's gone unnoticed chief! Rodrigo, now Maddison.. :nono:
Crown still not coming to me after @Dan_F this week… “I’m (joint) top of the Redcafe league with James and TAA from the start.” :)

(PS, well done Dan)
:lol: This is pretty much what FPL Twitter is basically right now. I enjoy tuning in to podcasts where people just discuss football in general especially the ones that do it in a fun way, but there's an absolute plethora of basement dwellers putting together one spreadsheet after another … same shit in different colors.
For the umpteenth time…. LEAVE CRELLINS ALONE!

(I like Hindu Monkey)

Called it..

FPL Towers only look at club names when doing the pricing. Same guy joins Chelsea and suddenly he's 9.5 or whatever random shit they come up with. Even if he may not be clearly first choice.
Yeah you did, Nunez 9 million and Isak 7 both should be around 8.

Yeah exactly! :lol:

Imagine thinking Ramsey will go on to score all those goals. Just happens and I think it's great both for the rank and for the fun to jump on these. Like last season some of my best moments were getting a random brace from Gallagher and stuff. :lol:

I think when it's your own team's player it's even better too.
I was in the wrong end for United away at Wolves once, with a Wolves supporting pal.

I'd banged Valencia in, based on nothing in particular, and he utterly mauled them in a 5 goal smashfest and got something like 16 points. Beautiful.

I think when it's your own team's player it's even better too.
I was in the wrong end for United away at Wolves once, with a Wolves supporting pal.

I'd banged Valencia in, based on nothing in particular, and he utterly mauled them in a 5 goal smashfest and got something like 16 points. Beautiful.
Bloody hell, that's a rare artefact right there. :lol:

Yeah, it's tricky and not a sea of green like a couple of other teams. I am just really impressed with Palace and think they'll be strong at home and score goals. And Zaha has now been delivering for a long time.

Which only means either an injury or a point blank miss next game. :lol:
Do I know this game or do I fecking know this game. :lol:

I never thought I’d be so desperate for Ivan Toney. Someone convince me he’s not worth ripping up my team structure and downgrading TAA.

Do I know this game or do I fecking know this game. :lol:

You covered your bases…
City fixture is a turn off but he's an ideal FPL asset right now. Midfielder playing OOP up front, talisman of the team, top scorer this year for someone not named Salah or Son, on pens, no minutes risk, Palace attack looking great who have 4th highest xG in the league so far despite having played Arsenal and Liverpool (Leeds are 7th). I'd have him higher than a second Leeds attacker.

Some players don't exist without a caveat in FPL and this guy is up there in that list..

Wish that news was about Perisic though. :(
Perisic looks a good option … if he plays. I’m really trying to pick players this season that are pretty nailed as I used funds on 11 starting players (and Neco and fodder) so I wanted to keep transfers to a minimum and avoid -4s.

I had a couple of inspired/low owned players in Maddison and Rodrigo (until every fecker jumped on him :mad:) but they were still pretty much certain to play.

I think I said near the start I’m unlikely to hammer a GW but I doubt I’ll have a disaster either. Slow and steady…. just like my school teacher wrote on my report

Perisic looks a good option … if he plays. I’m really trying to pick players this season that are pretty nailed as I used funds on 11 starting players (and Neco and fodder) so I wanted to keep transfers to a minimum and avoid -4s.

I had a couple of inspired/low owned players in Maddison and Rodrigo (until every fecker jumped on him :mad:) but they were still pretty much certain to play.

I think I said near the start I’m unlikely to hammer a GW but I doubt I’ll have a disaster either. Slow and steady…. just like my school teacher wrote on my report
I would be fine having 3 nailed defenders and one high ceiling rotation risk. He has started one game and has 17 points.

Resisting taking a -4 to do Walker to Perisic. City clean sheet isn’t very exciting, but they always have the potential to get one at home.

I do want to start moving away from City assets though before the rotation starts.

Resisting taking a -4 to do Walker to Perisic. City clean sheet isn’t very exciting, but they always have the potential to get one at home.

I do want to start moving away from City assets though before the rotation starts.

Perisic obviously has great upside, but dropping a City defender who's strongly nailed to start in a high probability home clean sheet fixture seems a strange move to me, who are your 4 other defenders.

My choice would be to roll it.

Perisic obviously has great upside, but dropping a City defender who's strongly nailed to start in a high probability home clean sheet fixture seems a strange move to me, who are your 4 other defenders.

My choice would be to roll it.

Definitely rolling with it, yeah. Only doubt is Walker getting pulled out after the Newcastle game, but they don’t have too many options! Not worth the -4 to take him out.