Fantasy Premier League 22/23

Not that I am selling TAA, but that is partly how people be on top of leagues. They do not wait and keep watching. They take some risks and react early.

That's definitely true but don't think it can be applied to TAA. He's still great value with nice fixtures.

I'm tempted by Sancho but I wanna see how we perform against a team that lets us have possession.

I'm tempted by Sancho but I wanna see how we perform against a team that lets us have possession.

I got Sancho out for Harrison before Liverpool.

I'd love to see me regret it, but much like United, I don't see him performing/hauling consistently.

Saka owners. Are you persisting with him?

He’s got one more week for me.

Yah one more week for me. Had to get in a new keeper and taking a hit when he has Fulham seemed a bit mad. One more week though. Fancy the leeds lads for a bit (Harrison the most) and then Gundogan for October after City have played us, spurs and pool.

This is for the draft, so price is not an issue.
I have Kulu. Should I keep him? I can go for Zaha, Harrison and Gundogan

There was this discussion before the season on how a 7m def is the best value by far and there's "no chance" a 7m forward can match that value.

Returns (G, A, CS) this calendar year:
Cancelo: 14
Toney: 15

There was this discussion before the season on how a 7m def is the best value by far and there's "no chance" a 7m forward can match that value.

Yeah but the sample size is 3 games.

I doubt Toney will keep this up to a point that he's anywhere near Cancelo final points tally.

Pep confirmed once mid week starts, there will be rotation. Name dropped Haaland specifically.

Might jump to Kane soon...

Yeah but the sample size is 3 games.

I doubt Toney will keep this up to a point that he's anywhere near Cancelo final points tally.
No that's for the whole calendar year and Toney has indeed not only kept up but surpassed Cancelo, who is pretty much the best value premium defender if you combine CS and attacking returns. And that's a Brentford striker. A better equivalency would be something like Cancelo vs Jesus or Darwin because you can find a 4.0-4.5m playing defender with decent return odds while there's never anything in the cheapest striker bracket, and that could skew it even further in the favour of strikers vs premium defenders.

Basically every season I've played people have not had more than a single premium defender because there's always more potential and value in attackers, except this season where suddenly it got loaded with multiple premium defenders. Partly due to the hangover of strikers being crap last season but we are 3 GWs in and already people are itching to move to 3 up front, with the options being Brentford and Fulham strikers. Once a Liverpool #9 like Darwin or Jota starts banging, along with the usual suspects from City, Arsenal, Spurs or even the likes of Martial, Newcastle strikers and what not coming into the picture, it will go back to the norm. I think people need to realize the two best teams in the league have both gone out and splashed massive cash on proper #9s. That's gonna be the picture for this season.

Personally don't see Haaland being rested at all. Can also see him getting some huge hauls over the next few weeks. Patience team.

On Toney: think he's a baller and a potential season keeper unless Brentford have a run of really tough games. True baller who is settling into the prem now after a slow start last year. Would take him for us if he continues. Him, Sancho and Antony up top...

Pretty sure nobody said there's "no chance". People just made the point that 7m defenders are better value, which they are to be fair.

Compare Trent/Cancelo to the cohort of 7m-7.5m strikers (Watkins, Wilson, Antonio, Bamford, Ings, Scamacca, Nketiah, Jimenez, Toney). How many of the strikers will outperform? Unlikely any of them do and at best 1 or 2. Compare 5m-6m defenders to strikers and the likelihood is lower again.

Also, you need to consider bonus points when looking at returns, where the likes of Cancelo will outperform Toney.

Last edited:
Sanchez
Trippier Cancelo Perisic Zinchenko
Salah(c) Rodrigo Diaz Martinelli
Haaland Jesus

Ward, Gross, Edouard, N.Williams
I'm saving my transfer this week. Not convinced there's anyone I can bring in who will score better than what I have.

No that's for the whole calendar year and Toney has indeed not only kept up but surpassed Cancelo, who is pretty much the best value premium defender if you combine CS and attacking returns. And that's a Brentford striker. A better equivalency would be something like Cancelo vs Jesus or Darwin because you can find a 4.0-4.5m playing defender with decent return odds while there's never anything in the cheapest striker bracket, and that could skew it even further in the favour of strikers vs premium defenders.

Basically every season I've played people have not had more than a single premium defender because there's always more potential and value in attackers, except this season where suddenly it got loaded with multiple premium defenders. Partly due to the hangover of strikers being crap last season but we are 3 GWs in and already people are itching to move to 3 up front, with the options being Brentford and Fulham strikers. Once a Liverpool #9 like Darwin or Jota starts banging, along with the usual suspects from City, Arsenal, Spurs or even the likes of Martial, Newcastle strikers and what not coming into the picture, it will go back to the norm. I think people need to realize the two best teams in the league have both gone out and splashed massive cash on proper #9s. That's gonna be the picture for this season.
Yeah fair point but then compare Cancelo to most 7 strikers and I bet Cancelo will usually come up on top.
Personally don't see Haaland being rested at all. Can also see him getting some huge hauls over the next few weeks. Patience team.

On Toney: think he's a baller and a potential season keeper unless Brentford have a run of really tough games. True baller who is settling into the prem now after a slow start last year. Would take him for us if he continues. Him, Sancho and Antony up top...
Pep literally said Haaland will get rotated due to past injury record and he will play Alvarez.

Pretty sure nobody said there's "no chance". People just made the point that 7m defenders are better value, which they are to be fair.

Compare Trent/Cancelo to the cohort of 7m-7.5m strikers (Watkins, Wilson, Antonio, Bamford, Ings, Scamacca, Nketiah, Jimenez, Toney). How many of the strikers will outperform? Unlikely any of them do and at best 1 or 2. Compare 5m-6m defenders to strikers and the likelihood is lower again.

Also, you need to consider bonus points when looking at returns, where the likes of Cancelo will outperform Toney.
There was definitely a massive bias in favour of 7m def over 7-8m strikers apart from Jesus which is evident in the template that most started with. And again like I said an equivalent comparison is say Robertson vs Darwin given the cheaper options you can get in both defenders and striker options. Do you think Robertson 100% outperforms Darwin?

And secondly you mentioned Trent and Cancelo. Which is completely fair and isn't the same as big at the back where people have loaded teams with 3 7m plus Def's and another 6 or 5m ones. Essentially a Trent Cancelo Robertson James Perisic backline costs 33m, a third of your whole budget which is unheard of in the history of this game. Having one or two which are the ones you mentioned are pretty much essential but that seriously went overboard. And that's mainly because last season people couldn't find consistent strikers the whole season.

Agree with bonus points although someone like Toney will be a BPS magnet. But for that you can just include all your budget mids in the typical 6-8m bracket who can get more BPS and return consistently. There's a plethora of options on that bracket already. In fact it's the fact that we have someone like Andreas which is a huge factor for people going big at the back because of that spot was a dud as usual, people would absolutely replace a premium def with a playable 4.5m def from a top 5 team and get another mid.

But ya basically just saying it isn't as far apart as people suggested earlier completely disregarding strikers aside from Jesus (not counting premiums) and there's definitely ones who can at least match and more so if you also include budget mids.

Yeah fair point but then compare Cancelo to most 7 strikers and I bet Cancelo will usually come up on top.
Well he isn't coming out on top vs a Brentford striker with a big enough sample size which has stayed consistent over both last and this season. If he doesn't return in attack as consistently as he did last season he will get dumped. Same with Robertson or James. Heck Trent has been sold loads already who is likely the most immune. These guys cannot justify their price based on only clean sheet odds and it doesn't take much for people to rely on attackers more for attacking returns.

Pep a few days ago when asked about Haaland…

"Now he has one game a week. I tell you now when we have games every three days that Erling will not play,”

“I will play Julian [Alvarez]. One of my favourite players is Bernardo [Silva] and he did not play until today. Riyad [Mahrez] is by far one of my favourite players - especially on the biggest stages - and today he didn’t play. When we start with games every three days, everyone is going to play.”

I can see him playing c30 PL games (25 min), CL and big cup games. Alvarez is a superb back up, would have loved him here.

There was definitely a massive bias in favour of 7m def over 7-8m strikers apart from Jesus which is evident in the template that most started with. And again like I said an equivalent comparison is say Robertson vs Darwin given the cheaper options you can get in both defenders and striker options. Do you think Robertson 100% outperforms Darwin?

And secondly you mentioned Trent and Cancelo. Which is completely fair and isn't the same as big at the back where people have loaded teams with 3 7m plus Def's and another 6 or 5m ones. Essentially a Trent Cancelo Robertson James Perisic backline costs 33m, a third of your whole budget which is unheard of in the history of this game. Having one or two which are the ones you mentioned are pretty much essential but that seriously went overboard. And that's mainly because last season people couldn't find consistent strikers the whole season.

Agree with bonus points although someone like Toney will be a BPS magnet. But for that you can just include all your budget mids in the typical 6-8m bracket who can get more BPS and return consistently. There's a plethora of options on that bracket already. In fact it's the fact that we have someone like Andreas which is a huge factor for people going big at the back because of that spot was a dud as usual, people would absolutely replace a premium def with a playable 4.5m def from a top 5 team and get another mid.

But ya basically just saying it isn't as far apart as people suggested earlier completely disregarding strikers aside from Jesus (not counting premiums) and there's definitely ones who can at least match and more so if you also include budget mids.

It's an interesting argument for sure. I agree with your point of big teams finally having proper number 9's so would expect Darwin to outscore Robertson but he's obviously significantly more expensive, so dont think its fair to compare them directly.

I disagree with people going overboard with big at the back and do still believe that's the meta. FPL clearly underpriced defenders relative to midfielders/forwards and it has spoiled the game somewhat. You just need to look at the 5m defenders compare to other positions, they're insane value and it's a bit ridiculous. Also need to consider that from the beginning of a season the smart move is going with tried & trusted. The best FPL managers in history have parked the bus for a reason and unfortunately with social media millions of casuals copy what they see on YouTube etc. It doesn't help that there's was no obvious FPL mids under 8m either (apart from Martinelli), so it's just a case of waiting to see who is in form. The fact my team is 3 LIV, ARS, CITY & 2 CHE says it all really. That's never been possible from the get go in the last 10 years I've been playing.

You're right that it's not as far apart as some are suggesting. And ultimately doing well at FPL comes down to getting players in at the right time. The person who does that will always outperform the person who sticks with the "better value" pick over the course of the season. Robertson and Toney right now is the perfect example of that.

Pep a few days ago when asked about Haaland…

"Now he has one game a week. I tell you now when we have games every three days that Erling will not play,”

“I will play Julian [Alvarez]. One of my favourite players is Bernardo [Silva] and he did not play until today. Riyad [Mahrez] is by far one of my favourite players - especially on the biggest stages - and today he didn’t play. When we start with games every three days, everyone is going to play.”

I can see him playing c30 PL games (25 min), CL and big cup games. Alvarez is a superb back up, would have loved him here.

Meh on that. Pep talks a load shite in the press. If Haaland is fit, he starts, he scores.

It's an interesting argument for sure. I agree with your point of big teams finally having proper number 9's so would expect Darwin to outscore Robertson but he's obviously significantly more expensive, so dont think its fair to compare them directly.
The reason I bring in that comparison (and you can include Jota at 8m as well) is because already within 1 GW that was the question that a lot of people with big at the back were asking, that should they drop a premium def especially Robertson to free up a Liverpool spot to get Darwin because that's the most direct route anyone with big at the back will have to get a third striker in that bracket. Yeah it will need a little adjustment elsewhere but that's a rather direct move. Even more close in the case of Jota, and actually cheaper in case of Toney. This question will likely be asked again once they are back, or once multiple 8m mids start returning. It's essentially the choice that you need to make.

I disagree with people going overboard with big at the back and do still believe that's the meta. FPL clearly underpriced defenders relative to midfielders/forwards and it has spoiled the game somewhat. You just need to look at the 5m defenders compare to other positions, they're insane value and it's a bit ridiculous. Also need to consider that from the beginning of a season the smart move is going with tried & trusted. The best FPL managers in history have parked the bus for a reason and unfortunately with social media millions of casuals copy what they see on YouTube etc. It doesn't help that there's was no obvious FPL mids under 8m either (apart from Martinelli), so it's just a case of waiting to see who is in form. The fact my team is 3 LIV, ARS, CITY & 2 CHE says it all really. That's never been possible from the get go in the last 10 years I've been playing.
I absolutely don't disagree with going back at the back being a great strategy to start this season. The options were clearly reliable as well as underpriced for the most part as you say, but I'd say the idea for most was to wait and see which attackers emerge and slowly start dropping one or two of those big defenders and moving to the attackers which is what is happening now (and that's when Darwin got sent off, who would have been the biggest breaker of big at the back). So it will still be keeping the likes of Trent/Cancelo/James (probably 2 max) and loading the rest with attackers which is more at par with how FPL generally goes.

For the 5m defenders, hell yes they are underpriced and that's the case every year but that's not big at the back. We are talking about having at least 2 7m+ and 4 6m+ defenders which is what a lot were confident on being a season template, but it is possible it can turn back to the usual 343s and the like. The likes of Trippier, Saliba/Gabriel, Doherty/Perisic etc are still gonna be great value regardless and aren't exactly premium defenders.

Only narrative that I felt disagreeing with really was that there was no value in 7m+ attackers (strikers or mids) as compared to 6m+ defenders. And that was largely down to the let down of last season. Because otherwise pretty much every season has 7m+ strikers at least 2 or 3 of them firing at all points in a season and people just get them. All your DCLs, Ings and what not, that's what's happening with your Toneys, Mitros etc now. heck people wildcarding now are interested in Welbeck. :lol: You don't need much from strikers to get the bandwagons going, thats where the biggest loot in FPL always lies. Even last season is a clear indication with the whole Dennis/Broja bandwagons. Chelsea probably get Auba as well which will add another one.

Was going to do Rashy and Robertson for free to Saliba and probably Foden.
But Rashy scoring and Rob facing Bournemouth I think means it's best to hold.

May well do Ward to Sanchez who is still luckily only 4.5m.
Annoying that Iversen slipped down to 3.9 or he'd have been the better ship.

But I think We can all agree that the Leicester 4m double has been a bust so far.

Took a minus 8 points hit to bring in Rodrigo, Trippier and Andreas Perreira, should be good now for a while into the season. Replaced Rashford (planned to only get him in only for the Pool game, worked well :D), Bailey and Mitchell.

The reason I bring in that comparison (and you can include Jota at 8m as well) is because already within 1 GW that was the question that a lot of people with big at the back were asking, that should they drop a premium def especially Robertson to free up a Liverpool spot to get Darwin because that's the most direct route anyone with big at the back will have to get a third striker in that bracket. Yeah it will need a little adjustment elsewhere but that's a rather direct move. Even more close in the case of Jota, and actually cheaper in case of Toney. This question will likely be asked again once they are back, or once multiple 8m mids start returning. It's essentially the choice that you need to make.

I absolutely don't disagree with going back at the back being a great strategy to start this season. The options were clearly reliable as well as underpriced for the most part as you say, but I'd say the idea for most was to wait and see which attackers emerge and slowly start dropping one or two of those big defenders and moving to the attackers which is what is happening now (and that's when Darwin got sent off, who would have been the biggest breaker of big at the back). So it will still be keeping the likes of Trent/Cancelo/James (probably 2 max) and loading the rest with attackers which is more at par with how FPL generally goes.

For the 5m defenders, hell yes they are underpriced and that's the case every year but that's not big at the back. We are talking about having at least 2 7m+ and 4 6m+ defenders which is what a lot were confident on being a season template, but it is possible it can turn back to the usual 343s and the like. The likes of Trippier, Saliba/Gabriel, Doherty/Perisic etc are still gonna be great value regardless and aren't exactly premium defenders.

Only narrative that I felt disagreeing with really was that there was no value in 7m+ attackers (strikers or mids) as compared to 6m+ defenders. And that was largely down to the let down of last season. Because otherwise pretty much every season has 7m+ strikers at least 2 or 3 of them firing at all points in a season and people just get them. All your DCLs, Ings and what not, that's what's happening with your Toneys, Mitros etc now. heck people wildcarding now are interested in Welbeck. :lol: You don't need much from strikers to get the bandwagons going, thats where the biggest loot in FPL always lies. Even last season is a clear indication with the whole Dennis/Broja bandwagons. Chelsea probably get Auba as well which will add another one.

TAA is probably the easiest to kick out given how suspect Liverpool look at the back and his price point. Unfortunately I’m 0.2 off doing TAA to Perisic and getting Toney in.

I’m going to have to give some thought about doing Zinchenko instead. If TAA finds form then he’s easy to bring in on a wildcard, however this weeks fixture makes it really hard to justify kicking out a Liverpool player.