Gaming Fallout 76

I've been having a great time playing solo and with a friend. Long time fallout fan since the original. Set the bar low and have enjoyed the little surprises the game has to offer. I think it's very ''trendy'' to hate on this game at the moment. However, the Fo76 subreddit has daily posts from people admitting they were haters but once they sat down and tried it they had a lot of fun.

Being objective, it's probably a 6/10 game with lots of room to improve but at it's core it's enjoyable and that's all i wanted until Starfield is released. The game runs on an explore > kill > loot cycle but the little details and player encounters make the game fun.

Truth, it's easier for streamers and reviews to pander to the mass of faux outrage then get grief themselves, stories of top streams getting dogs absue for enjoy the game etc, how dare they

It's the world we live in

The game is by no means perfect but it'll continue to develope. The issue is the haters can't leave it alone, they dislike it and feel the need to try and sink it, just go play something else and leave the rest in peace

These two posts read like they’re straight from r/FO76 :lol: no offense to either of you.

As predicted, a steaming pile of turd.

Jim Sterling made a good point. You take the only good things out of a Bethesda game - ie the characters and quests, and all you’re left with is a barren, buggy, clumsy shooter with dated graphics and terrible AI. And that’s exactly what this game is. It feels like a amateur Fallout 4 mod though they have the audacity to charge full price for it and yet still riddle it with micro transactions.

The fact they haven’t bothered to use a new engine also takes the piss. You have Rockstar and CD projekt red pushing the boundaries for open world games and yet Bethesda are still plastering over their ancient, bug ridden Creation Engine and shipping out games stuck in the last gen. And in case that wasn’t bad enough, they STILL intend to use the same engine for ES6 :lol:

I’m really glad this bombed. Maybe then Todd Howard will stop being such a lazy cretin and actually bother to invest in a new engine. Otherwise they’re doomed to becoming left behind.

Jim Sterling made a good point. You take the only good things out of a Bethesda game - ie the characters and quests, and all you’re left with is a barren, buggy, clumsy shooter with dated graphics and terrible AI. And that’s exactly what this game is. It feels like a amateur Fallout 4 mod though they have the audacity to charge full price for it and yet still riddle it with micro transactions.

The fact they haven’t bothered to use a new engine also takes the piss. You have Rockstar and CD projekt red pushing the boundaries for open world games and yet Bethesda are still plastering over their ancient, bug ridden Creation Engine and shipping out games stuck in the last gen. And in case that wasn’t bad enough, they STILL intend to use the same engine for ES6 :lol:

I’m really glad this bombed. Maybe then Todd Howard will stop being such a lazy cretin and actually bother to invest in a new engine. Otherwise they’re doomed to becoming left behind.

Why the hell did you buy it in the first place then?

I think all this was predictable, when it comes down in price I'll pick it up to play with mates and it'll be decent enough value but at full price...nah

Stop being trendy.

These two posts read like they’re straight from r/FO76 :lol: no offense to either of you.
haha no offense taken. I'm keen on this game but have no delusions about my bias. It's by no means a masterpiece but it's not a steaming pile of turd either.

It's different and enjoyable. The micro-transactions complaint is asinine as you don't have to buy anything and you get tons of the Atoms currency just by playing the game.
This is a survival fallout game not fallout 5. Would i have preferred a brand new Fallout 5, damn right but eh..
Stop being trendy.
:lol:

The issue with the game is that they said before it was out that it’s going to have a lot of issues.

It might not have helped this game. But I just don’t see why devs constantly rush out games or bring releases to the fall when big hitters like RDR and COD are there. Hitman 2 is another example where it looks like it’s a good game, but flopped in the UK market and sadly there’s s chance we will not see another one. Developers and publishers need to realise good games will sell any time of the year.

haha no offense taken. I'm keen on this game but have no delusions about my bias. It's by no means a masterpiece but it's not a steaming pile of turd either.

It's different and enjoyable. The micro-transactions complaint is asinine as you don't have to buy anything and you get tons of the Atoms currency just by playing the game.
This is a survival fallout game not fallout 5. Would i have preferred a brand new Fallout 5, damn right but eh..

:lol:

It has its merits, but from the start I could see that it wasn’t for me. I don’t do online games, and survival games don’t appeal to me, so it was a no go from the beginning. That was how I began to frequent R/FO76 initially, to read about the game and see if there might be something in it for me, as I would have loved to be part of a new fallout, but alas there wasn’t. That sub has really degenerated IMO, it was good at the beginning but it became like a Bethesda worshipping circle jerk as time went along, and I couldn’t take it anymore :lol:

I recognize that this game isn’t for me, and that’s fair enough. My only concern is that I genuinely hope this isn’t the direction that Bethesda want to take in the future. Even though they say they will continue to focus on single player games, at the end of the day a company will follow where the money is, and if this turns out to be a massive success, I fear that they will focus more on online play for their upcoming titles, which will really ruin two of my favorite franchises for me :(

Why the hell did you buy it in the first place then?

I think all this was predictable, when it comes down in price I'll pick it up to play with mates and it'll be decent enough value but at full price...nah
I didn’t. I stopped paying for Bethesda games after fallout 4. I knew this was going to be a shitshow the moment it was announced.

It has its merits, but from the start I could see that it wasn’t for me. I don’t do online games, and survival games don’t appeal to me, so it was a no go from the beginning. That was how I began to frequent R/FO76 initially, to read about the game and see if there might be something in it for me, as I would have loved to be part of a new fallout, but alas there wasn’t. That sub has really degenerated IMO, it was good at the beginning but it became like a Bethesda worshipping circle jerk as time went along, and I couldn’t take it anymore :lol:

I recognize that this game isn’t for me, and that’s fair enough. My only concern is that I genuinely hope this isn’t the direction that Bethesda want to take in the future. Even though they say they will continue to focus on single player games, at the end of the day a company will follow where the money is, and if this turns out to be a massive success, I fear that they will focus more on online play for their upcoming titles, which will really ruin two of my favorite franchises for me :(

Yeah fo76 is very over the top in their worship of the game so I read r/fallout to soak in the salt and try to maintain a balanced view. I wouldn't worry too much about the future of their single player games. I feel like Todd Howard made it very clear that they were doing this as an experiment. That's why they announced Starfield and TES 6 at E3.

I'm really looking forward to Starfield and Cyberpunk 2077 but I have to say the combat in the latter has not impressed me so far.

I didn’t. I stopped paying for Bethesda games after fallout 4. I knew this was going to be a shitshow the moment it was announced.

Gne8kCj.jpg

Yeah fo76 is very over the top in their worship of the game so I read r/fallout to soak in the salt and try to maintain a balanced view. I wouldn't worry too much about the future of their single player games. I feel like Todd Howard made it very clear that they were doing this as an experiment. That's why they announced Starfield and TES 6 at E3.

I'm really looking forward to Starfield and Cyberpunk 2077 but I have to say the combat in the latter has not impressed me so far.
They’re building Starfield on the same awful engine so I wouldn’t get my hopes up on that one.

They’re building Starfield on the same awful engine so I wouldn’t get my hopes up on that one.
I will get my hopes up. Fight me.

What games are you playing atm? I'm always on the market for new games.

Played some of the beta and found it really boring. Bethesda have gone downhill like bioware

Wow just saw it's metacritic score :lol:

49 Metacritic with 0 positive reviews
Userscore 2.7/10

Ouch - You'd think that this would mean that the corporate bosses at Bethesda/Zenimax would want them to go back to focusing purely on what made them so much money since Oblivion, however I do fear that with the way that the gaming industry is these days we will see them continue on the wrong path.

The thing that gets me is the naivety with which they seem to have jumped into the project.

It's literally the same engine, with even less in the game than Fallout 4. Which was literally the same engine, with even less in the game than Fallout 3.

feck sake people, learn a fecking lesson here.

It's literally the same engine, with even less in the game than Fallout 4. Which was literally the same engine, with even less in the game than Fallout 3.

If the reviews and sales figures are anything to go by, I think generally people have.

Exactly. You just knew this was going to be a stinker. Bethesda aren’t to be trusted.

That engine is so old now, I wouldn’t touch a fallout game with a bargepole until they build a new one.

The amount of love Skyrim gets on Reddit is weird as well. Do TES and Fallout share the same engine?

Because noone plays vanilla Skyrim - everyone plays a modded version that they love because it is more tailored to them and the flaws are diminished.

I’ve only recently played Skyrim with mods on it, and they’re okay, but for the most part I’ve put in a ridiculous amount of hours on vanilla Skyrim. I really love that game, and safely say it is my favorite game ever. I’ve also only recently come to learn that this makes me some kind of outlier :lol:

I’ve only recently played Skyrim with mods on it, and they’re okay, but for the most part I’ve put in a ridiculous amount of hours on vanilla Skyrim. I really love that game, and safely say it is my favorite game ever. I’ve also only recently come to learn that this makes me some kind of outlier :lol:
I hated the combat in Skyrim, it’s terrible. The story was great, hated the abrupt ending of the main quest line though.

The same 4 voice actors for a million characters got annoying too :lol:

I hated the combat in Skyrim, it’s terrible. The story was great, hated the abrupt ending of the main quest line though.

The same 4 voice actors for a million characters got annoying too :lol:

Between this thread and the RDR2 thread, do you like anything mate :p

Between this thread and the RDR2 thread, do you like anything mate :p
Yes:

Super Mario 3 on the NES
The Skate series
Dark Souls 1
Battlefield (when it was good)
Gran Turismo Sport
Bloodborne
Mega Man 2 on the NES
Forza Motorsport (up until 4)
Shadowrun on the SNES (best RPG ever)
Zelda: A Link To The Past (on the SNES, also one of the best RPGs ever)
TES Morrowind (also the best RPG ever)
Mario Odyssey

And a million others. I’m honestly not as fussy as I come across :)

Last edited:
Yes:

Super Mario 3 on the NES
The Skate series
Dark Souls 1
Gran Turismo Sport
Bloodborne
Mega Man 2 on the NES
Zelda: A Link To The Past (on the SNES, also one of the best RPGs ever)
TES Morrowind (also the best RPG ever)
Mario Odyssey

:lol: Cheers mate, good to know :D

You really need to play VR Skyrim. It'll be the best thing you ever do.

Yes:

Bloodborne
Dark Souls 1

Gran Turismo Sport
Mega Man 2 on the NES
Zelda: A Link To The Past

Mario Odyssey

Yes. Though I will say:

Forza peaked at 2, 3 and 4 were dumb trash and all those since.
Battlefield and GT were both decent enough in their prime, but not all that.
Mario Odyssey is still way better than any 3D platformer of recent times, and a great game to boot, but was a little overhyped. Galaxy 1 (2 too, but if you'd never played 1) and Sunshine were better IMO. Not to mention the king that is M64.

I could still hum the theme to Shadowrun, and Zelda 3 sometimes ties with Ocarina for me. It depends just how nostalgic for those times I am. That's how highly it should be rated in the series.

:lol: Cheers mate, good to know :D

You’re welcome mate, I’m actually a lover of vidya games it’s my passion. I probably spend too much time talking about them playing them and moaning about them! :)

Yes. Though I will say:

Mario Odyssey is still way better than any 3D platformer of recent times, and a great game to boot, but was a little overhyped. Galaxy 1 (2 too, but if you'd never played 1) and Sunshine were better IMO. Not to mention the king that is M64.

I could still hum the theme to Shadowrun, and Zelda 3 sometimes ties with Ocarina for me. It depends just how nostalgic for those times I am. That's how highly it should be rated in the series.

Ocarina is magical!!

Did you play the crowdfunded Shadowrun on PC? It’s pretty good.

The only thing putting me off is that you need to stand up to play it don’t you? Standing up and gaming doesn’t really appeal to me :nervous:

The only thing putting me off is that you need to stand up to play it don’t you? Standing up and gaming doesn’t really appeal to me :nervous:

No you really don't mate. Even on PC, it works just fine sitting down.

But, standing up playing these games is both more immersive and better for you, so it's not all bad should you choose that way :)

I will get my hopes up. Fight me.

What games are you playing atm? I'm always on the market for new games.
I’m digging the Yakuza games at the moment. Yakuza zero is easily the best thing I’ve played this year, and it’s a couple years old...

Ouch - You'd think that this would mean that the corporate bosses at Bethesda/Zenimax would want them to go back to focusing purely on what made them so much money since Oblivion, however I do fear that with the way that the gaming industry is these days we will see them continue on the wrong path.

The thing that gets me is the naivety with which they seem to have jumped into the project.
The sad reality is this game will still generate big bucks for Bugthesda. More so when they monetise it even further which will 100% happen. It’s how the likes of EA keep making record profits despite churning out complete soulless shite.

Todd Howard is smart enough to realise this and doesn’t care. Why invest in a new engine when you can just patch over the same tired tripe, slap the fallout over it, and move over to the ‘games as services’ bandwagon. Their days of being a developer synonymous with industry leading single player games are long gone.

Yes. Though I will say:

He finds about a dozen games in the entire industry of literally hundreds of decent video games that he likes and you still manage to bash half of them. :lol:

Dude, by my standards that's praising them! (Apart from forzas 3/4 of course).

:lol::lol:
What are your 3 favourite video games in modern times (that have been released within the last year or two)?

The sad reality is this game will still generate big bucks for Bugthesda. More so when they monetise it even further which will 100% happen. It’s how the likes of EA keep making record profits despite churning out complete soulless shite.

Todd Howard is smart enough to realise this and doesn’t care. Why invest in a new engine when you can just patch over the same tired tripe, slap the fallout over it, and move over to the ‘games as services’ bandwagon. Their days of being a developer synonymous with industry leading single player games are long gone.

This is honestly my biggest fear, but I’m keeping the thoughts at arm’s length for now.

What are your 3 favourite video games in modern times (that have been released within the last year or two)?

Persona 5, Dragon Quest XI, God of War ;)

I know it wasn’t aimed at me.